• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Winning is never worthless. For a man so ineffective at fulfilling his promises to his constituents. Trump has done wonders for our court system to ensure his effect Is long lasting. In 1 term (hopefuly) no less. None of his results come form his abilty to govern. All he had to do was win. All of my ideals and my principals might as well be thoughts and prayers without power.
I don't know how I'm supposed to trust someone who essentially says "I just wanna win, I don't care about anything else"

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Did you forget about Bush, Cheney, and the gridlock during most of Obama's term? The Senate is still lost and a Clinton presidency would be no different than Obama's in the worst ways. That's a Pyrrhic victory.

Trump is a fucking muppet and has the backing of the GOP, which controlled both houses. Attributing this mess to his win completely ignores the fact that this is a systemic issue.

If your principles are that malleable, then why the fuck should Democrats bother pretending to be left of center if winning is the goal? Why not just be Republican-lite or go full on white supremacist? Oh right, that shit doesn't work because conservatives will almost always vote for the real thing. Yet you still try for those votes by acting like realpolitik is the only way to win while ignoring the base and failing to offer something to the disenfranchised. If your principles are so worthless, why should you, or anyone that's so easily compromised, be trusted with any power?

Wanting to actually implement policy doesn't make my principles malleable. Really really wanting to have the most morally pristine values does nothing except make for some great forum discussion.

If you are suggesting that Dems need to stop courting closet racists from the fence of the republican party then i'm with you. If you are saying that Dems have a horrible history of taking PoC for granted then I agree. I dont see how any of this alters the stakes of the coming election. Or takes away form the fact that victory is paramount.

I don't know how I'm supposed to trust someone who essentially says "I just wanna win, I don't care about anything else"

I didn't essentially say this.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Pelosi says he's not worth it.
In a sense, she's right in that any attempt at impeachment would fail because the Republicans are some of the goddamn worst human beings in the country and a failed impeachment attempt would spell doom for a democratic victory in 2020 since it would be seen by a large swatch of voters as political infighting. Never mind that the Republicans tried to impeach Clinton in the 1990s, that party is made of teflon because they have even fewer scruples than the Dems.

That being said, these people have private meetings with the man and should at the very least swing a golf club at his weak old man knees.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That and unless there's something egregious enough to get Rs on board, there's no chance in hell the Senate will go along with it.
at this point I think the only two things that would get them out of their ass if people found a video of him having sex with a minor or Trump recorded saying "I worked with Putin to influence the election"

and then shows the necessary documents

and then unzips his pants to show a soviet flag tattooed on his penis.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
at this point I think the only two things that would get them out of their ass if people found a video of him having sex with a minor or Trump recorded saying "I worked with Putin to influence the election"

His supporters would write it off as fake news.

The only scenario I can see where there is almost 0 chance of him remaining in office is if he attempted to launch a nuclear missile, against DC.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
In a sense, she's right in that any attempt at impeachment would fail because the Republicans are some of the goddamn worst human beings in the country and a failed impeachment attempt would spell doom for a democratic victory in 2020 since it would be seen by a large swatch of voters as political infighting. Never mind that the Republicans tried to impeach Clinton in the 1990s, that party is made of teflon because they have even fewer scruples than the Dems.

That being said, these people have private meetings with the man and should at the very least swing at golf club at his weak old man knees.
Doesn't matter if it fails. It's more about making a statement and getting people riled up. It's also about highlighting where both parties stand.

I'm skeptical of the bolded claim. The Dems having a backbone is what's needed to foster voter enthusiasm. Sitting back and doing nothing doesn't do much to gain voters.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

Eh

Maybe maybe not

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

Nah some of his supporters would say he's clearly joking with Putin and the tattoo or cheer him on.
With the minor, they'd justify it with "how old is x, really?".

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Doesn't matter if it fails. It's more about making a statement and getting people riled up. It's also about highlighting where both parties stand.

I'm skeptical of the bolded claim. The Dems having a backbone is what's needed to foster voter enthusiasm. Sitting back and doing nothing doesn't do much to gain voters.
I think an impeachment attempt would be a waste of time similar to how the Mueller Report, while likely containing some damning stuff, is held up in its effectiveness by the safeguards meant to protect the Executive Branch. Hate to use the same analogy twice but Trump is a teflon president. He was absolutely 100% right when he said that he could shoot someone on 5th Ave and get away with it. The Republicans would cheer him on and stomp on the victim's corpse until it melded with the pavement while the Democrats would wring their hands on how "unpresidential" killing a man is. Schumer would probably bend over backwards to strike a compromise with Cy Vance & DeBlasio to give Trump the key to the city instead of jail time.

What Democrats should be doing is taking a united stand to defend Omar. Pelosi, Gillibrand, and many others have completely dropped the ball. Some, like Nadler, have actively made the situation worse. That they can't get their shit together on this is extremely disheartening and plays into the fact that Washington is at its core, deeply Islamophobic and racist. At this point, after 2020, anyone who has been in political office longer than five years should be impeached, their assets liquidated and put back into the communities they destroyed. That goes for both parties.

Edit: I make the distinction of after 2020 because I like Warren and Sanders and I think they're a good influence on the party. However, after 2020 we need new leaders. AOC, Omar, Tlaib, Presley, and other 2018 Blue Wavers are not enough. New blood is needed more urgently than ever.

Last edited:

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I think an impeachment attempt would be a waste of time similar to how the Mueller Report, while likely containing some damning stuff, is held up in its effectiveness by the safeguards meant to protect the Executive Branch. Hate to use the same analogy twice but Trump is a teflon president. He was absolutely 100% right when he said that he could shoot someone on 5th Ave and get away with it. The Republicans would cheer him on and stomp on the victim's corpse until it melded with the pavement while the Democrats would wring their hands on how "unpresidential" killing a man is. Schumer would probably bend over backwards to strike a compromise with Cy Vance & DeBlasio to give Trump the key to the city instead of jail time.

What Democrats should be doing is taking a united stand to defend Omar. Pelosi, Gillibrand, and many others have completely dropped the ball. Some, like Nadler, have actively made the situation worse. That they can't get their shit together on this is extremely disheartening and plays into the fact that Washington is at its core, deeply Islamophobic and racist. At this point, after 2020, anyone who has been in political office longer than five years should be impeached, their assets liquidated and put back into the communities they destroyed. That goes for both parties.

Edit: I make the distinction of after 2020 because I like Warren and Sanders and I think they're a good influence on the party. However, after 2020 we need new leaders. AOC, Omar, Tlaib, Presley, and other 2018 Blue Wavers are not enough. New blood is needed more urgently than ever.
Again, I disagree about it being a waste of time. People want to vote for someone who will punch back. This is why people are so excited by AOC, Omar, Tlaib, Presley, Warren and Sanders. People are drawn to controversial figures. No one likes a flaccid "realist".

A few years back the same realists were saying that ideas like universal healthcare would never take off, so there was no point in arguing for it.

Now has never been a better time for Democrats to be aggressive, yet they continue to hold back.

Last edited:

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Again, I disagree about it being a waste of time. People want to vote for someone who will punch back. This is why people are so excited by AOC, Omar, Tlaib, Presley, Warren and Sanders. People are drawn to controversial figures. No one likes a flaccid "realist".

Now has never been a better time for Democrats to be aggressive, yet they continue to hold back.
I'm not saying that they shouldn't be aggressive, I'm just saying that impeachment is not the way to channel that aggression. It's fine by me if politicians start to say, "this is an impeachable offense, we should pursue this" but the actual process of impeachment is too mired in the system to be effective. A better way to channel that aggression is to channel populist rage against the GOP and Democratic establishments that look at Washington as a way to line their own pockets instead of you know, being servants of the public. This is what the people we named are doing and it's working, hence why I said we need more of these types of people. I do genuinely think that if the current Senate were to pursue impeachment, the media would turn it into a round-the-clock story which would irritate the American public who have more pressing concerns, like getting clean water, and when the impeachment process fails because Joe Manchin votes "no", the party pushing it would come away from it with egg on their face. Outside of liberal bubbles, many people were sick of the constant Mueller Report "updates" which were generally just gossip that didn't go anywhere (at least not as of yet).

If Wyden or Lieu or whomever pressed for impeachment, that's their prerogative and would send a good message, I don't disagree, but I highly doubt its efficiency when you consider this country's track record of impeaching elected officials. The system is gamed in their favor. If a Democratic candidate said "we should impeach Trump", that sends a good message, but then you remember, this person is going to be on the campaign trail until 2020, and an impeachment hearing usually lasts longer than a year. What I would like to hear instead is "we should pursue criminal charges against Donald Trump for the sexual assault of women, targeted harassment of a sitting Congresswoman, mass fraud, and crimes against an immigrant population." That speaks to post-Trump policy and holds him directly responsible for the actions of his administration.

Playing within the confines of the system tells a public that is generally disillusioned by politics that our politicians are only interested in the affairs of Washington or only understand America through the lens of Washington. I understand that impeachment is something that a lot of politically-involved people want, but I also understand that far more people who don't vote are more concerned that Washington is only interested in Washington. It is more valuable for the peoples who want to see actual change rally the public to fight for themselves than it is to rally them against a political figurehead. Especially a figurehead that has a truly gross amount of charisma like Trump. That's all Trump is at the end of the day, a despotic figurehead for a fascist party. In 2024, we'll just see Crenshaw sweep because he looks like a Walking Dead character and babies smile around him. Until you treat the disease, you're always going to see the symptoms. Trump, Crenshaw, Cruz, even Reagan. They're all symptoms, they're not the disease.

Anyway, this is getting off topic. Democrats should have stood by Omar from the start and its indicative of their miserable inability to coordinate that they couldn't do this one, very simple thing. Instead of relying on the flailing old guard to get their shit together, we need to press for new blood that will stand for what the majority of Americans want. We want health care, we want intersectionality, we want clean water, we want job security, we just don't have the cultural vocabulary to voice those wants. And those that do have the vocabulary aren't being heard. We need to make those voices heard instead of focusing in on one man.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
People being touchy about the term "progressive" is always kind of funny. If you're holding back progress, which she is openly admitting to doing, you are no longer a progressive.
Its also funny how transparent these people are, desperately trying to convince people they are progressive when questioned but still saying the left need to come to the center.
It's time to compromise!
So compromise with the left?
Oh no, compromise with racists.
Every.single.time.

And they wonder why people stop caring about voting when you constantly have people telling you that the basic things like healthcare, education, equality, enough money to live just arent possible and need to be done at a snails pace.

Oct 25, 2017
It's time to compromise!
So compromise with the left?
Oh no, compromise with racists.

It's great isn't it? Gotta constantly try and appease racists while ignoring minority concerns because the likes of Pelosi know she and the rest of the "allies" will be able to browbeat black voters with "Well do you want four more years of Trump?"

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
It's great isn't it? Gotta constantly try and appease racists while ignoring minority concerns because the likes of Pelosi know she and the rest of the "allies" will be able to browbeat black voters with "Well do you want four more years of Trump?"
Tbf, Pelosi is in the shitiest position relatively speaking, she have to make donors and the base happy at the same time with them having polar opposite requests most of the time.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Oh, look, a thread about Trump tweeting a racist video that incites violence has become a discussion about how bad the democrats are. Transparent as fuck.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Oh, look, a thread about Trump tweeting a racist video that incites violence has become a discussion about how bad the democrats are. Transparent as fuck.
People are commenting on how one of the leaders of the opposition is reacting to this and how it isnt good enough.

Trump saying/doing something reprehensible is a daily occurrence so there isnt much to say. But when you have the Dem speaker of the House essentially not defending Omar at all it is of course going to be something worth talking about.

Its funny because the people who complain about attention being taken away from what Trump has done are the ones who are oblivious to the fact that Trumps actions do have consequences and what people are now commenting on is one of those consequences. Saying 'Trump is a racist' is great but you cant also ignore the fallout from his actions and how that in turn will continue things going forward.

Oct 25, 2017

Yes you got me I'm secretly a white supremacist congrats on working it out.

Pack it in folks, we can stop pretending to care about minorities because we can't pull the over the eyes of this one.

fauxtrot

Oct 25, 2017

Oh, look, someone that has posted multiple times in this thread already that's now pretending like they haven't made this type of comment on previous pages. Transparent as fuck.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone criticizing any democrats over their fucking terrible response to this are obviously Russian bots and/or secret republicans. Duh.

/s obviously.
giphy.gif

Silly me, how i could i forget.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Implying the democrats have not been such assholes to minorities.

Yes they are bad at this point. They will keep being bad unless they change. Just being better than Trump isn't enough.

Using minorities as tools should end and people shouldn't have to vote for them because of people like Trump, they need to earn those votes by being better.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

This should be the final straw for anyone with a fucking reasonable mind that the Democratic party absolutely does not give a shit about their own voters, but rather will do everything they can to bend over backward for racists who literally threaten to kill your own. This is supposed to be leadership? They would absolutely rather work with the "other side" rather than their "own side" because their interests align. This isn't even defendable.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
This should be the final straw for anyone with a fucking reasonable mind that the Democratic party absolutely does not give a shit about their own voters, but rather will do everything they can to bend over backward for racists who literally threaten to kill your own. This is supposed to be leadership? They would absolutely rather work with the "other side" rather than their "own side" because their interests align. This isn't even defendable.
Because the racists align with special interests, while the left wing and minorities do not.
Wallstreet, Isreal and other type of lobbyists are threatened by progressives and centrists follow lobbyists like sheep.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018

Now you finally realize why the United States never condemns israel when IDF has human rights abuses. Status quo. They don't want to ruffle feathers and are afraid of change

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Oh, fuck this. This is disgraceful.

Using the progressive left as fucking tokens for all your magazines because of their colour and gender and then just so casually brushing them aside when it's inconvenient.

I am glad she finally admits what most suspected. She is using differing opinions and differing ethnicities as tokens to get votes.
She really does not believe in the importance of inclusivity for the nation, only for the majority in house

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Tbf, Pelosi is in the shitiest position relatively speaking, she have to make donors and the base happy at the same time with them having polar opposite requests most of the time.

What makes Pelosi's position even more complicated is that the Democratic Party is diverse enough to have two bases at this point, so it's not just donors versus base. It's "Bernie"-base versus "Biden"-base versus donor base. (the "Manchin" base is too small to make an impact at this point) According to Galup, 51% of democrats call themselves liberals, 34% moderates and 13% conservative. The left wing is on the rise, but not prominent enough to dethrone Trump on its own. (the same is true for the party's center wing and much smaller right wing) Pelosi's stuck herding cats.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What makes Pelosi's position even more complicated is that the Democratic Party is diverse enough to have two bases at this point, so it's not just donors versus base. It's "Bernie"-base versus "Biden"-base versus donor base. (the "Manchin" base is too small to make an impact at this point) According to Galup, 51% of democrats call themselves liberals, 34% moderates and 13% conservative. The left wing is on the rise, but not prominent enough to dethrone Trump on its own. (the same is true for the party's center wing and much smaller right wing) Pelosi's stuck herding cats.
I mean, if that's the case, shouldn't the come together movement focus on bridging the gap between the two bases rather than the Biden Base and further right?