• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
The president announced in a pair of tweets this morning that he'd like to see 6G in the United States alongside 5G "as soon as possible."

It's not entirely clear what spurred Trump's sudden tweets in support of next-gen cellular communications standards. Perhaps Fox & Friends mentioned the announcement of Samsung's new Galaxy S10 5G, and Trump was dismayed that Verizon had no live 5G network on which the device could actually function in the United States yet. Or maybe the president's phone got AT&T's 5G E update, reminding Trump that US carriers are relying on cheap tricks to convince customers they have faster speeds.

The tweets ultimately go back to Trump's concerns that Chinese companies like Huawei will take the lead on 5G. There were reports last year that the US government even considered developing its own nationally run 5G service, largely out of concern that "China has achieved a dominant position in the manufacture and operation of network infrastructure." That plan was quickly quashed due to it being entirely nonsensical.

Adding to the bewildering nature of Trump's tweets is his demand not just for US companies to develop 5G networks as quickly as possible, but 6G, a networking specification that doesn't remotely exist even on the most basic, theoretical levels.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/21/...-internet-5g-us-telecom-cell-network-carriers

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pffft, what about 7G? Everybody knows THAT is the real deal.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Lol, what does he know about technology? Simply put: nothing. 6G? Come on now...

Edit: lol, replies above are cracking me up. "The more G's, the better!"

It's almost meme worthy

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
To be fair, after the Zuckerberg questioning it's evident that none of the people who control the government have even the slightest idea about what the internet actually is, or how it works.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Pffft, what about 7G? Everybody knows THAT is the real deal.

BewitchedNervousCaecilian-size_restricted.gif

He said 6G!

nded

Nov 14, 2017
He's just trying to preemptively take credit for stuff that might reasonably happen in the future. Whoever sets these standards should reset the numbering scheme after 5G just to spite trump.

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I want the United States to win through competition, not by blocking out currently more advanced technologies. We must always be the leader in everything we do, especially when it comes to the very exciting world of technology!

I...I agree with Trump?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
6G? What? But I do agree with the 5G stuff. These companies got too much money to not invest in the infrastructure. There's no reason why the US can't fully lead the charge and get massive 5G coverage asap

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I guess Trump is a Monster Hunter fan, though it seems like he's really getting ahead of himself when there isn't even a Monster Hunter 5 yet

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Guys...I'm starting to think that Trump might not know very much about technology (or anything).