• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
The majority of popular music summed up in one sentence:

I can't think of any other tweet that summarizes an entire culture or its output that succinctly and accurately. Got anything?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i dont really get that tweet, but i dont listen to too much music i suppose

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I have no idea what you're talking about tbh

Oh, I get it.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
"Pop songs have bad lyrics about romance news at 11"

Bernd Lauert

Banned
May 27, 2018
The majority of popular music summed up in one sentence:

I can't think of any other tweet that summarizes an entire culture or its output that succinctly and accurately. Got anything?

giphy.webp

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
jonathan coulton has a song about a giant squid, is that different enough

EOS-HDC

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Tijuana, B.C, Mexico
The problem with reductionism and generalizations is that you have to add a lot of asterisks at the end for your sentence to be accurate, otherwise you're just being myopic at best.

OP
OP
Not

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
Another thread completely down the drain

Drake
Aerosmith
Literally any band with any song about "he's no good for you"

Come on guys

It was supposed to be a springboard for non-music topics

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
I hear you OP

maybe if you take "an entire culture summarized" out of your OP the thread could be more about music critique and bad lyrics

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That tweet is stupid and untrue. I call shenanigans on that woman's entire feed.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
This thread makes sense and that tweet generalizing the topic of songs written by male singers is completely on point... Not.

Dec 18, 2017

Drake
Aerosmith

Come on guys

The first 5 songs with male singers that came to my head:

Michael Jackson - Beat It
Judas Priest - Painkiller
Queen - We Are the Champions
GG Allin - Violence Now
Cat Stevens - Moonshadow

None of these reflect any truth in that tweet.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

Drake
Aerosmith

Come on guys

I think I get what you're saying.. but those songs tend to be about a man who was once with the woman, now isn't, and wants her back. So while your point is true.. a big aspect of the song is that the men that are singing it are singing from the perspective of someone who's bitter. And people being bitter tend to be jerks.

OP
OP
Not

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
Straight people exist. Wow.
I don't understand the defensiveness, dude. Men control society, thus they create and dictate what music becomes popular. The viewpoint makes sense to me, and I connected with it on a fundamental level.

Either way though, generalizations are supposed to be a springboard towards nuanced discussion. Why is everyone focusing on my example?

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
jonathan coulton has a song about a clown who resents life as a clown

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
jonathan coulton has a song about christmas on an asteroid.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I don't understand the defensiveness, dude. Men control society, thus they create and dictate what music becomes popular. The viewpoint makes sense to me, and I connected with it on a fundamental level.

Either way though, generalizations are supposed to be a springboard towards nuanced discussion. Why is everyone focusing on my example?

Pretty sure men didn't make Back Street Boys and NSync popular.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Because it's your thread.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017

Drake
Aerosmith

Come on guys

The premise of the thread and the example in the OP are just blatantly stupid and make people instinctively respond with posts pointing out the dumbfuckery of it all.

I listen to a lot of political music. Rage and System aint mourning ladies' decisions like a country music FM station. That's just one example of many.

You dont want your thread to get "derailed" then dont base it on stupid shit that's demonstrably false.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada

Drake
Aerosmith

Come on guys

Umm I really think this is being incredibly reductionist. Even if you wanna say the majority of love songs are about women being with bad men I'd still have to disagree with you.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the premise of this thread, nor do I agree with the tweet and what ever "truth" it supposedly represents.

Status
Not open for further replies.