• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Note: If you buy the Odyssey+, please make sure to get the correct 1.6V Ni-Zn AA batteries with it for the best operation of its controllers and tracking mechanism. They're not very expensive on Amazon, and they're rechargable! But you can't use any old AA battery charger, you need a Ni-ZN charger so get a set that comes with both.
Another note: if you've bought the Odyssey+, make sure to claim your free two months of Viveport Infinity! It's a subscription service akin to Game Pass but for VR games.

So, there was a thread earlier recommending the Oculus Quest for people trying to get a VR setup before Half Life: Alyx launches next March.

But I think that's not a great idea. The main selling point of the Oculus Quest is its portability. It's essentially a Pixel 2-tier smartphone strapped into an head-mounted display, running a Snapdragon 835. But if you're not planning on using its portable features and just want a PCVR headset, why waste money on them? The Quest will not run Half Life: Alyx on its own, only connected as a HMD to a powerful PC with the Oculus Link software. Oculus Link is currently in its early stages, and it contributes input latency, as well as only working on Nvidia GPUs, not AMD. Don't get me wrong: the Quest is a super impressive device for what it is.

But the options that newcomers to PCVR should be looking at instead are the excellent Black Friday deals for dedicated PCVR headsets. The most remarkable one is this exceptional deal for Samsung's flagship Odyssey+. If you're in the US, it's $229 at B&H, and $249 at most other sources including Samsung's website and the Microsoft Store, down more than 50% from its original retail price of $500. Edit: Amazon has now matched the $229 deal, shooting the Odyssey+ up to the top of their VR headset sales charts. The Odyssey+ is the highest-end Windows Mixed Reality headset and it will work with the Windows MR store, SteamVR, as well as the Vive and Oculus store via Revive. It even comes with a two-month subscription to VivePort Infinity, a Game Pass style VR subscription service that includes a library of over 700 VR titles including Superhot VR and Obduction. Edit: the deal is now available in Canada as well through the Microsoft store.

As the HMD itself, it's generally seen as better than the original Vive (although not in terms of tracking, and I'll come to that), on a similar footing with the Rift S, but not as good as the high-end options like Index and Vive Pro. But for $229, it's an amazing value and really hard to resist. It doesn't require any base stations or external setup as it uses inside-out tracking. That's controversial, as higher-end headsets like the Vive Pro and Index use external base stations called "light houses" to track the controllers even when outside of the players view, but also require wall-mounting or freestanding lighthouses in your VR space. These inside-out headsets, which include the Odyssey+ and the Rift S, instead use cameras located on the front of the device to track your hand movement and the movement of the controllers. It's not as effective as the full base station tracking of the really high-end options, but it will work well enough for the vast majority of VR games out there.

The other thing to mention about the Odyssey+ is its exceptional 90hz Samsung OLED display, versus the Quest's 72hz. Both have similar 1600x1400 resolutions per eye, although the Odyssey has a higher refresh rate. Samsung's screen uses a technology that prevents the "screen door effect" commonly criticized on these headsets because of visible pixellation, but this does slightly blur the image. Some people prefer it, some people don't. Another thing to check out if you're going with the Odyssey+: make sure you get the right batteries! They need more juice than regular AA batteries can provide, so go for 1.6v Ni-Zn batteries instead. You can get an eight pack of batteries with a charger on Amazon here, and there are cheaper options for 1.6v Ni-Zn batteries too. Just make sure they're Ni-Zn AA batteries, not regular 1.2v AA batteries. Also: some people complain about comfort with the Odyssey+ (although some don't and find it comfortable enough stock). If you end up having comfort issues, there are three options: an aftermarket strap from Studioform Creative that the weight from the headset onto the top of the head instead of the face, and a replacement face cushion from VR Cover that will do a better job of blocking out light and providing long-term comfort. Edit: I've read that you can use two of these velcro straps from Amazon attached to the sides, running left to right over the top headspace of the Odyssey as a less expensive alternative to the Studioform headband to displace the weight from the face, so I'm gonna give these a try instead since I can return them if I don't need them. Edit 2: the velcro straps aren't quite working out. Returning them gonna try the Studioform headband, although comfort is already good with the VR Cover only. But again: don't buy these until you know you need them. Try out the stock experience. But people who have comfort issues generally say with these two additions it's one of the most comfortable headsets out there.

Another option worth checking out is the Rift S. It's going to be $349 on Black Friday, and it's worth a look for its improved touch controllers and tracking solution. The controllers are great and a cut above the Odyssey+'s MR controllers, and the tracking solution is a bit better, although they both have the same basic inside-out camera tracking limitations. It's not on sale yet, but it will be soon on Amazon.

It's actually a really good time to get into PCVR with all these great deals. Quest is a good option for $400 if you want a mobile VR device, but there's not really much point buying it exclusively for PCVR with the limitations Link provides, as well as its lower refresh rate and higher price. Go for the $229 Odyssey+ or the $349 Rift S. Both are PC headsets specifically designed for that ecosystem, not a mobile headset reworked to function with PC.

And, as a massive, lifelong Half Life fan since childhood, I can't wait to experience Half Life: Alyx with everyone else next March :)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing holding me back from buying some VR headset now is the worry that HL:A will come out and it's gonna be "playable but hardly ideal" or whatever on exactly the one I bought.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
i'm VR dumb. Don't you still need a good PC + the headset, or does something like this "help" out an older PC (I have a 7 year old gaming pc that can just barely run Outer Worlds)

Laurel_McFang

Feb 17, 2019
EDIT: just so this doesn't freak anyone out the Samsung Odyssey is a windows mixed reality headset so is supported. I was wrong.

Was the Odyessy in Valve's list of supported devices? I thought it was just index, rift s and the portable one, vive headsets, and the lone microsoft headset.

I just checked the official site: https://half-life.com/en/alyx

Supported devices are:
  1. Valve Index
  2. HTC Vive
  3. Oculus Rift
  4. Windows Mixed Reality

is windows mixed reality a standard the odyssey conforms to?

OP
OP
tulpa

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Was the Odyessy in Valve's list of supported devices? I thought it was just index, rift s and the portable one, vive headsets, and the lone microsoft headset.

I just checked the official site: https://half-life.com/en/alyx

Supported devices are:
  1. Valve Index
  2. HTC Vive
  3. Oculus Rift
  4. Windows Mixed Reality

is windows mixed reality a standard the odyssey conforms to?
Yup! Also, there's official support for Windows MR headsets like the Odyssey+ with SteamVR. So there won't be any issues playing pretty much any SteamVR game, as well as the vast majority of Oculus games through Revive.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
So the only VR headset I own is a PSVR, how does the tracking feel in comparison to that? I feel like PSVR using the Move Controllers has pretty subpar/poor tracking, but even that works well enough for me.

Also... what's the catch here, why is this thing 50% off, is there some new revision coming out? Is it going to no longer be supported or something? I always feel a bit wary when I see such huge price cuts on premium tech like this.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Maybe someone can help me? I brought last night and buyer's remorse is hitting me with a huge stick. Are there VR multiplayer games?

OP
OP
tulpa

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So the only VR headset I own is a PSVR, how does the tracking feel in comparison to that? I feel like PSVR using the Move Controllers has pretty subpar/poor tracking, but even that works well enough for me.
It's much better! Like I said, not as good as the high-end VR options like Vive Pro and Index but much better than PSVR.
Also... what's the catch here, why is this thing 50% off, is there some new revision coming out? Is it going to no longer be supported or something? I always feel a bit wary when I see such huge price cuts on premium tech like this.
I don't think they're coming out with a new revision. Samsung hasn't really marketed this thing and it kind of slipped under the radar, so I figure it's just because it hasn't sold well, even compared to other PCVR headsets like the Vive and Rift. But you can find the reviews from enthusiasts on VR sites and it's pretty widely-recognized as a good midrange PCVR option.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
That Odyssey+ sounds great, but get your facts straight, the Quest has an OLED display as well. And a bit of higher FOV. (110º vs 112º). Also the IPD adjustment, which is pretty big when you consider not everyone has the same face proportions.

I would consider the Oddysey+ though, 226€ vs the 450€... it's kind of a big deal. I could almost get 2 Oddysey+ for that price. Choices...choices.

Hows the tracking compared with the Rift S or the Quest on the Odyssey+?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

I mean just about every PC option is better than PSVR in terms of tracking.

Seems like the Rift s is a better deal overall. Why not just do that
NO.

If you're going to get anything from Oculus, get a Quest. No-fuckin-body is buying the Rift S anymore.

OP
OP
tulpa

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That Odyssey+ sounds great, but get your facts straight, the Quest has an OLED display as well
You're right, I confused the LCD with the Rift S. Corrected, thanks.
And a bit of higher FOV. (110º vs 112º).
Not really sure, it's quite hard to measure the effective field of view since the reported FOV and practical FOV in day-to-day usage varies, but most report the Odyssey as having one of the highest effective FOVs in the PCVR space
Also the IPD adjustment, which is pretty big when you consider not everyone has the same face proportions.
Odyssey+ has IPD adjustment as well
Hows the tracking compared with the Rift S or the Quest on the Odyssey+?
It's using the same basic technology, but the Rift S is a bit better due to its placement of more cameras. But Odyssey+ is significantly better than the other MR headsets and it's a more refined implementation. But neither the Rift S nor Odyssey+ will match up to external tracking, so yeah. They both have the same basic limitations.

OP
OP
tulpa

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017

I own a PSVR an Oculus Quest, and PC-VR headsets. PSVR Move Controllers are just crap compared to the rest. They do the job, but only just.

The catch is, Oculus and Valve are doing an amazing job marketing their hardware, and so the Windows MR sales are tanking, including the Odyssey+. Also WMR controllers aren't quite as good as PCVR competitors (aside from HTC Cosmos). They aren't as comfortable, the button/stick placement not quite as good.

Compatibility-wise, the only real issue with WMR headsets is Oculus-native software, which when played on a non-Oculus headset requires using third party software "Revive". Sometimes it takes a few days for a new game to work in Revive, and the performance can be worse than on Oculus hardware.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Because it's more than $100 more expensive for a pretty similar overall experience? But yeah, like I said, if you can spend the extra money, the Rift S is also an option worth considering

My understanding is that most of this has been sorted out recently?

I need to figure out confirmation on that. I cancelled my Amazon order until I can confirm controllers work alright.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
I own a PSVR an Oculus Quest, and PC-VR headsets. PSVR Move Controllers are just crap compared to the rest. They do the job, but only just.

The catch is, Oculus and Valve are doing an amazing job marketing their hardware, and so the Windows MR sales are tanking, including the Odyssey+. Also WMR controllers aren't quite as good as PCVR competitors (aside from HTC Cosmos). They aren't as comfortable, the button/stick placement not quite as good.
Damn this controller stuff is making me nervous, should I just save for a Rift S?

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
You're making me nervous because I just ordered one. Perhaps I should cancel it.
Because it's more than $100 more expensive for a pretty similar overall experience? But yeah, like I said, if you can spend the extra money, the Rift S is also an option worth considering
My understanding is that most of this has been sorted out recently?
This was my experience with what would have been "Gen 1", so they may have ironed a lot of that out now that were kinda at gen 1.5

Is it possible to fix it when that happens?
Most of the time. It's just extra work is all.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017

Compatibility-wise, the only real issue with WMR headsets is Oculus-native software, which when played on a non-Oculus headset requires using third party software "Revive". Sometimes it takes a few days for a new game to work in Revive, and the performance can be worse than on Oculus hardware.
What are your thoughts on Odyssey+ vs my other option, Oculus Quest + the Link to PC add-on?

OP
OP
tulpa

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This was my experience with what would have been "Gen 1", so they may have ironed a lot of that out now that were kinda at gen 1.5
Oh yeah. Things have massively progressed since then and those Gen 1 headsets are definitely awful experiences in terms of tracking. Most people say the Odyssey+ is the one really good experience you can get from the MR platform.
I need to figure out confirmation on that. I cancelled my Amazon order until I can confirm controllers work alright.
They definitely work, and there's orientation settings for a lot of games too. Like the post above said, Pennyfish's experience was based on the cheap early MR headsets not the Odyssey+ and things have progressed since then
Damn this controller stuff is making me nervous, should I just save for a Rift S?
The Odyssey+ controllers work well for pretty much everything, although you may need to occasionally adjust or remap stuff. But the Rift definitely has excellent controllers that are better than any WMR headset, it's one of the selling points of the Oculus.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Why aren't people buying the rift s?
Because the Quest is fully portable, fully self-contained, AND now allows you to connect it to your PC to play all normal Rift games too at similar quality.

There is functionally no reason for the Rift S to exist and certainly no reason to buy one now. Rift S owners have largely regretted being early adopters of the device since the Quest Link cable was announced.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
yeah but you still need a vr capable pc. thats what, about gtx 1060/rx 580 gpu levels? WMR was my entrance into PCVR but only because it came free with a prebuilt pc i bought for $650. the experience has been...ok. i havent used any other headsets so i have nothing to compare it to, but other than the inside-out tracking, its been ok. knowing what i know now though, i would just pick up a vive or rift set on sale during black friday.
Say more! What issues?
i had a hell of a time initially setting up my headset. apparently my headset (the hp one) wasnt playing nicely with the USB driver stack that came on my motherboard. tried two different pcie usb expansion cards also with no luck. then i tried a card that rift users were using and it finally worked.

Jafku1

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Because the Quest is fully portable, fully self-contained, AND now allows you to connect it to your PC to play all normal Rift games too at similar quality.

There is functionally no reason for the Rift S to exist and certainly no reason to buy one now. Rift S owners have largely regretted being early adopters of the device since the Quest Link cable was announced.
gotcha thanks

OP
OP
tulpa

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do the Valve Knuckles controllers work with the Rift S if I buy some of the base stations?
They should work with both the Rift S and the Odyssey+, although not flawlessly. But once you've bought base stations and the knuckles you're really in expensive territory. If you're going to replace the controllers and tracking solution anyway, probably best to go with the Odyssey+ as the headset and display itself is generally seen as better than the Rift S, it's the tracking and controller advantage the Rift S has.
yeah but you still need a vr capable pc. thats what, about gtx 1060/rx 580 gpu levels? WMR was my entrance into PCVR but only because it came free with a prebuilt pc i bought for $650. the experience has been...ok. i havent used any other headsets so i have nothing to compare it to, but other than the inside-out tracking, its been ok. knowing what i know now though, i would just pick up a vive or rift set on sale during black friday.

i had a hell of a time initially setting up my headset. apparently my headset (the hp one) wasnt playing nicely with the USB driver stack that came on my motherboard. tried two different pcie usb expansion cards also with no luck. then i tried a card that rift users were using and it finally worked.
Yeah like they've said things have progressed and the Odyssey+ has the most mature tracking implementation of any Windows MR headset. It's not really fair to judge it based on experiences with the cheaper Lenovo or Acer options. But 480 or 1060 level is the minimum spec for Alyx, so you should still be good for at least a decent experience with the game.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017

So your experience isnt with the odyssey + but the HP one?

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Oh yeah. Things have massively progressed since then and those Gen 1 headsets are definitely awful experiences in terms of tracking. Most people say the Odyssey+ is the one really good experience you can get from the MR platform.

They definitely work, and there's orientation settings for a lot of games too. Like the post above said, Pennyfish's experience was based on the cheap early MR headsets not the Odyssey+ and things have progressed since then

The Odyssey+ controllers work well for pretty much everything, although you may need to occasionally adjust or remap stuff. But the Rift definitely has excellent controllers that are better than any WMR headset, it's one of the selling points of the Oculus.

For 130 cheaper, I might just get the Odyssey plus. I don't care about portability in VR and the small amount of time playing my friends ps vr blew me away so I'm easily satisfied. My ipd is 63 but my wife's is 58. On the lowest hardware setting on the Odyssey+, she would at least get to enjoy it. I feel the rift s would strain her eyes. The controllers being weaker is a bummer but that's okay. Are the viven controllers better? I know they work on it.

OP
OP
tulpa

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So your experience isnt with the odyssey + but the HP one?
Yup, sounds like one of the early Windows MR headsets which is contributing to some of the confusion around the tracking/controllers issue.

Not all Windows MR headsets are created equal and their tracking is not all the same experience. I've used the early implementations and, like others have said, it's not great, but by all accounts the Odyssey+ is a big step forward and just a bit behind something like the Rift S. It's not gonna be a bad experience.

Wait, So I can upgrade to the knuckles in the future? Is this comfirmed?
Check this video out. And this is one of the early MR headsets, not even the Odyssey