• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I quit smoking cold turkey 9 years ago. At the time I was smoking nearly a pack of cigs a day.

I had tried to quit many times before that using gum and other things and was never successfull.

Quiting smoking is 100% mental, you just have to want it bad enough. Also it was one of the hardest things I ever did, the craving is real.

Good luck my man.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
if you can't just quit...

Ween off with a Juul, give it a week. Then ween off the juul. its easier because you'll realize how much you stunk/all the rituals you had to do around smoking. Your smell will come back/taste.. That sorta helped. Having a regular cigarette maade me gag, and smelling them was a bit off. It was weird considering it was like a week.

Then ween off the vape. Its much easier to drop than cigs as you kill the craving for cigs w/vape.

good luck

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
Start with Vaping, not some garbage gas station setup and juice. Its all trash. Go to a vape shop, when 1st quitting you'll want some fairly strong nic content juice and a Mouth to Lung tank so it simulates smoking with a tighter draw. You can then reduce the nic content and ween yourself off.

Personally I still vape since I am too used to the routine and like it too much. I am still on 6mg since any less seems like I am inhaling nothing or makes me chain vape all day. Been probably close to 5 years if not more now.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Have you tried vaping? I had found that I only enjoyed the steaming smoke aspect of cigarette. I didn't enjoy the burning smell at all.

At your stage you also need nicotine in your juice.

OP
OP
Mack

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Yeah, I tried vaping.

Tried vaping and it didn't much to me apart of using it every 15 mins and dealing with spilled juice. Don't wanna quit smoking just to be addicted to vaping.

As for exercising, I plan to start running and working out at home from Monday. Still have 2 cigarettes left, but I'm really motivated not to get another pack.

Thanks for all your tips, advice and motivational speeches. Really appreciate it.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Yeah, I tried vaping.

Get the prepackaged smaller pod systems, so you don't have to deal with refilling juice. Even if its addictive is still less harmful.

And ultimately its up to you to quit. If you have enough motivation (such as you have a newborn child) you can quit cold turkey. Everybody can.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are two types of urges you get when addicted to nicotine, the chemical and the "im doing this because im used to it"

For the first one, I have no experience with nicotine products, so I cant really help you there, but you sound pretty motivated. The times I broke on something I wanted to quit, was mostly because I was bored and needed something to do. I think the key is to try and pick up a new hobby, or get into something that will take a shit ton of time a dedication to do, something that will take your concentration away from outside sources. Remember, a lot of your smoking is just muscle memory at this stage.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Try to avoid situations where you used to smoke a lot. I had a problem with smoking cigs between each period of a hockey game I was watching, the break room at work and in social situations. So for a few months I did everything I could not to do those things. It kinda sucked, but once you get past the habit of smoking the nicotine part is much easier to break yourself from.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
I was a pack a day smoker for 10+ years. Tried everything to quit that was available (pre-vaping era) - patches, gum, hypnosis, cold turkey, etc. About a year after Chantix came on the market, I tried that. Haven't smoked since.

Last edited:

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm with you OP. I'm trying some tablets now to see if that works.

Actually i got one outrageous advice the other day from one Uber driver. He said that he actually started chowing complete cigarettes from some minutes, that provoked a lot nausea over time with the cigarettes smell. I'm tempted to try it LOL

OP
OP
Mack

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
So today is my quit day, only couple of cancer sticks left and I'm done. Hopefully. Keep your fingers crossed.

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
Good luck! I accidentally(?) quit by starting vaping/e-cigs instead, after a couple months I forgot to vape anymore and now it's been 6+ years nicotine free :)

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I only smoked for 3 or 4 years from roughly 14/15 to 17/18. But I was a very heavy smoker at that time, pack a day was common. I would just sit around and smoke while playing games, constantly. I was surrounded by smokers from my family, friends, and neighbors and I was a bored kid, so there were a lot of factors going on that contributed to me deciding to do it. I had no problem getting cigs, people were literally tripping over themselves to help me get them. It was "something to do" I guess. A part of me did think it was cool, which is a mistake but when you are that age, there's lots of forms rebellion can take and it's definitely one of them.

Though my duration was not as long as yours... my body was definitely very addicted and it wasn't something I could walk away from without effort.

The decision to quit came after a very strenuous workout in an Advanced Fitness course I was enrolled in. I noticed my performance was way below what it should be and it dawned on me how the smoking was impacting me despite how I thought it barely was. Ultimately though I just willpowered through it. I thought long and hard about the money I would save, and the health changes I would experience if I stopped.

The hardest part was still being around all the smoking people after I quit. Having one non-smoking friend who happened to be one of my best friends was the biggest help. Don't feel intimidated by people you know who are still going to smoke once you give it up. Almost all of them want to quit too, they just haven't found it inside themselves to do it. Don't be their life choices get in your way.

I hope you can do it and make it stick.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017
I'm currently 3 weeks smoke free. I recommend gum, not even nicotine gum but gum of some sort. Lots of exercise, much as you can do anyway, I like to run. Avoid spots and social occasions where your accustomed to smoking.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
So today is my quit day, only couple of cancer sticks left and I'm done. Hopefully. Keep your fingers crossed.
Best of luck.

A little late to the party, but my advice whenever this question pops up is always the same, and while it's definitely not applicable to a large swathe of people, it was a simple fix that worked wonders for me.

Take a four-day weekend. Block everyone and everything out of your schedule for the four-day weekend. Find an all-consuming game. Play that game all of the four-day weekend.

It sounds reductive (and dumb, when you put it in terms of a videogame), but the most powerful tool for quitting smoking is an urge that's stronger than smoking. You need something that can literally (semi-literally) keep you glued to the screen, where the next match, or the next turn, or the next level is enticing (addictive) enough for you to not go out for a cig because all you want to do is to keep going with the game.

I can't remember for sure, but I think I did it with the first Pillars of Eternity -- CRPG revival was my cure. I dunno what your gaming vice is, but if there's something out there that you know could easily take over your life for 50+ hours, get on it. Breath of the Wild, God of War, first time battle royaling with PUBG, Warframe, whatever. Souls games always suck my life away when they come out, maybe if you haven't hit Sekiro yet that'd be a good option. If you have to buy a new console to play something you've been holding out on, I say you go for it, because it's still cheaper than smoking and that new console and game might be all it takes.

You just need something to buy you 50 hours of distraction. 50 hours is 3+ days, and the fourth day is when it starts getting easier, when it's more habit than addiction. After the fourth day, it really is mostly habit, and from then on out it's easier by the day. Remember, you're only like, a month away from being drunk at a party, going to bum a cigarette, and being disgusted at how gross it is. A month is nothing.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I smoked for 20 years and got through a pouch of Golden Virginia every 3 days. I tried to stop few time but it never worked. The first thing I did every day was light up a cig.

Then I watched this YouTube clip

It was like a switch in my head got flicked and I just saw smoking in a different light, it reframed it for me. I was honestly so happy I cried a little with joy! And I've not had even the slightest temptation in over 6 years now.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

You can do it.

Tell yourself that's your last cigarette, honestly believe it, and make it happen.

Remember:

Cigarettes do not make you feel better, nor do they relieve stress. That is a lie we've been led to believe by ads and media, which has been blindly parroted by people hanging on to reasons to smoke until it became a part of our collective assumptions about smoking. It is not true. They create stress and anxiety through nicotine addiction, which you relieve by smoking. Cigarettes do nothing for you.

There's no such thing as just one more cigarette. It's twenty more, a hundred more, a thousand more, ten thousand more, and so on. Every cigarette is one in a chain of thousands more. All you have to do is resist the urge for one more, just that one, and you'll be free.

Last edited:

Gunship

Oct 28, 2017
Used to smoke a pack a day, quit overnight cold turkey 15 years ago. Never smoked a single cig since.

Change your habits. Stop going to the shop where you buy your cigarettes. Walk to the next nearest shop and buy your water or food or whatever there instead.

Mix up your morning routine. If you usually have a cig and a coffee, start drinking tea instead.

Anytime you feel like smoking, do something to occupy yourself instead. Walk, play a game on your phone, lift some weights, drink tea.

Realise that you do actually smell like shit, your breath is vile and your clothes stink. You are unpleasant to be around. You will not believe how much you notice this when you quit. Smoking makes you stink like you rolled around in dogshit. Anytime I open a book now from when I used to smoke, the smell makes me gag. Fucking awful.

Good luck. Life without smoking is so much better.

OP
OP
Mack

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
So it didn't work the time I posted the thread, but now I'm 2 weeks smoke free and going strong. Truly liberating experience