• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People that give money willingly to other people that are sitting at home and playing a game streaming. What other things could you do with that money

What about your kids or future kids? Couldn't that money go towards them or their future?

Could it go towards an investment like land?

I know there's some people out there that have so much money that they don't know what to do with it and give 10s of thousands,
But if you have that much money to throw away why are you giving it to someone playing a game instead of to people that starving?

I'm just trying to understand the reasoning of not putting that money into other things like the ones listed above, yea it's their money and they can do whatever they want etc just want to know why that over other things

Ligero

Oct 27, 2017
People put money towards what entertains them, which might not be the same as you - it's a pretty basic concept honestly. I spend money on beer - some people don't drink, but I don't think they are confused by my decision. Same rules apply.

Trust me, the same looking glass is being applied on you spending money on games period, from non-gamers.

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
You pay money for the entertainment. Why give money to the film industry to enjoy a night in the cinema? Wouldn't it be better to save that money for your children?

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it's weird. I understand with something like Pafreon where you are helping a person or group fund the projects they want to produce, but donations to streamers always felt kind of gross to me.

tokubek

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany
It's entertainment and people like paying for things they enjoy. Also many like to show their support and appreciation through donations.

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017
People that give money willing to other people that are sitting at home and playing a game streaming. What other things could you do with that money

What about your kids or future kids? Couldn't that money go towards them or their future?

Couldn't you say this about spending money on video games? Or ... like, anything?

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't need to understand. Maybe people like their content and feel the need to give something back.

I don't get twitch culture in general, but I bet people think the way I spend money "makes no sense" too if they don't value the same things I care about.

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty reductive though.

You could say the same thing about giving money to people who play guitar, or tell jokes, or make coffee.

I agree that too many people are too careless with their disposable income. And I've only ever spent my free twitch prime sub on any streamer.

But a good streamer is providing entertainment beyond just: Here's a game. They're either funny, or skilled, engaging.... attractive I guess.

There's so many more factors you're not considering in your OP

thekonamicode

Oct 27, 2017
The year is 2045

There are only two choices for spending your money.

You can give money to people playing video games on SpaceTwitch or invest in land.

Also, this thread is fucking stupid, yet here I am.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017

Most donations I've seen on streams have been $5-$20. Basically giving up lunch in exchange for paying a streamer. Not exactly the kind of cash that can seriously go towards investments in the future.

Now those weirdos that donate thousands of dollars to get their names read on stream? I have no idea what's up with them.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
You watched something for free, you liked it, were entertained so you decided to reward the guy with something and in this case, money.

Simple.

Nov 4, 2017
People that give money willing to other people that are sitting at home and playing a game streaming. What other things could you do with that money

I know there's some people out there that have so much money that they don't know what to do with it and give 10s of thousands,
But if you have that much money to throw away why are you giving it to someone playing a game instead of to people that starving?

I'm just trying to understand the reasoning of not putting that money into other things like the ones listed above, yea it's their money and they can do whatever they want etc just want to know why that over other things
I think I figured it out. Its the internet age, and the seperation and isolation of people.

Remember back in your teen and young adult years when you hung out with friends almost every day and you played games together? You guys probably had inside jokes. You had fun times and fun stories together.

Now a lot of people just stay home by themselves, and they purchase that feeling of having gaming buddies through streams. Its something that most of us get for free, but there are a lot of people that just have no one. So throwing money at friends online makes them feel involved.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Cause its $5 for people to see MY dank meme on screen

You just wouldnt understand bruh OMEGALUL

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
You can't be serious with this...

Streaming is a form of entertainment. Many people, hundreds of thousands enjoy watching people stream games. They have fun.
So you can't understand why people would give money for entertainment? Let's say you really enjoy a certain streamer, the games he plays, maybe the way he talks/interacts or maybe the way he plays the games. You want him/her to continue playing and streaming, so you donate on twitch/sub or maybe a patreon.

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
You pay to watch a performance be it theater, concerts, etc...

Streamers are entertainers, yes, it's done digitally through the internet, but they entertain. Those with disposable income like to support them and do so through subs and donations, easy.

Using your logic why do we spend money to play video games? Watch movies? Buy music? Purchase a book? We could be better off holding on to it for the future, or giving it to those in need. The reality is we ourselves need to be entertained, it's a balancing act, and for some people, streamers provide that entertainment and thus they donate money (they support what they like and what provides them joy).

It may not be for you, and that's okay.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
"Why do people spend their money on entertainment I don't like?".

There are a lot of people who would wonder why posters here spend so much time and money on computer games or films or going to gigs when they could be doing something more constructive instead, the same applies. People like to unwind in different ways, and will pay for their media of choice.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You watched something for free, you liked it, were entertained so you decided to reward the guy with something and in this case, money.

Simple.
But why aren't you putting that money toward your five future daughters college fund that don't exist but might in twenty years?

EMGESP

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I totally understand the enjoyment people can get from watching others play. What I don't get is the type of players that end up becoming popular. They tend to be so freaking annoying and fake as hell.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The money people give is a donation not a fee to keep watching
To actually answer the question, you get subscriber only benefits when you donate like exclusive streams, access to videos on demand, access to new emojis and exclusive chat rooms, etc. it varies from streamer to streamer but you aren't always getting nothing in return.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The money people give is a donation not a fee to keep watching
Why do people support creatives on Patreon or Kickstarter, or give money to charitable causes that appeal to them? Just because it isn't mandatory to pay, doesn't mean someone can't see value in supporting a project they want to see more of, and that won't continue if nobody pays.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
Yea form of entertainment, but it's free

Ok then are you ok with the concept of tipping people who you are using for your entertainment? Clearly many people have no issue spending money that once used to go into lets say a cable bill and giving it directly to the source of what they want.

I used to have a $150 cable bill...even if I give 1/3 of that to streamers I want per month so that they can continue to do what they do I am saving a ton of money compared to what I was throwing at a big cable company before.

It really is not that hard to understand. Of course you can continue to watch for free.. thats fine and thats your choice.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
They're paying them for entertainment not for playing a game. Fucking AvoidingthePuddle isn't even playing a game half the time for his story times.

Deleted member 34132

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I understand when people are enjoying a streamer and give some bucks... but there are people that donate like 500 € or even 1000€. That's crazy. I mean if you can afford it and feel happy: do it. But for me it's crazy.

GNTsquid

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
People that give money willingly to other people that are sitting at home and playing a game streaming. What other things could you do with that money
I dont get it either. I dont see it so much as you could save that money for your kids or future but rather WHY give money to someone sitting around playing video games. Its something you could easily do yourself and most of the time do it better than whoever is streaming. Watching other people play games might be one of the snooziest things out there. One level above doing your taxes.

I dont see why that means they can't make their own thread especially when the thread is as old as that one. Let people make the thread they want, you dont have to contribute.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bet OP never tips servers. "They receive a paycheck and are just doing their job. That money could go somewhere else. I don't understand why I should have to do it?"

Someone is providing a service you enjoy and you tip them for it.

Oct 25, 2017
It's just a form of entertainment.
Bingo!

Here's what you're failing to understand OP... It is human nature to feel the need to be entertained. We are a type of species that have a very low tolerance towards boredom, so we look for ways to remedy our boredom.

So think of someone paying someone to watch them play a video game a form of a puppet show. Gamer being the puppeteer, the game being the puppets and the puppet stage, watcher being the show audience.

Hope that makes sense? Some people just don't have the mental fortitude or energy to sit down and play a game for themselves, they can just as easily be entertained watching the game being played from the sidelines... And as long as people are willing to pay for something, there is always going to be people accepting their money.

Having said all this, I wouldn't pay a dime to someone playing a game on stream, And I say this with the confidence and douchbaggery of someone who loves watching top tier SFV streamers on Twitch.

TwinsUltra64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cyberspace, EUROPE

With that money they could have donate it to researchers like cancer research, but hey this stuff isn't good the best way is donating for someone that plays and scream on screen.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
You're paying for the entertainment, no? I think of it like a tip. Sometimes people spend absurd amounts of money but whatever floats their boat i guess. I don't follow streamers because i'm not interested in half of the games they play, but i throw a couple quid their way when they're playing something i like.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
OP, you're not wrong. People will try to justify their horrible taste, but stay strong.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
You are paying just like any other entertainment.

There are millions of people who pay 100+ a month on cable they barely watch, but you can't understand giving a streamer they watch often $5? God forbid people support what they like instead of being greedy that they can watch for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.