• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
It's hilarious how wikipedia already has beshear as incumbent and Devon's page being a loser. On point.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
"Democrats projected to flip Virginia Senate and House, taking control of state government for the first time in a generation"

Dat blue wave... feels good man

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
"DON'T ENJOY ANYTHING DEMOCRATS!"

The rest of the GOP ballot winning shows it's just a deeply unlikable candidate. Saying "Kentucky is blue is deeply misleading" and saying deep Red turned to Blue is also ignoring the Blue Rural Democrats.

Honestly Virginia is probably more significant for Democrats, all 3 branches are blue in a long time.

Oct 28, 2017
Republicans on suicide watch
HRA5W4E.jpg
Remember, he too is God's handiwork.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anybody expects Kentucky to be magically leftist. It's just a major upset in a deep red state, kinda like Doug Jones/Roy Moore here a few years back.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can someone explain to me how all the other Democrats in state races in KY are underperforming Beshear so badly?

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
"Democrats projected to flip Virginia Senate and House, taking control of state government for the first time in a generation"

Dat blue wave... feels good man

Well a generation ago was dixiecrats or the southern Democrat party (eg modern Republicans). I dont think it highlights the fundamental shift in politics.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
An article on 538 from post-2016 says that the median recount vote change in a statewide election in the last 20 years was about 200, and the largest (Bush v. Gore in Florida) was about 1,200. Beshear's lead over Bevin is over 9,000, so no real fear of a recount.

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An article on 538 from post-2016 says that the median recount vote change in a statewide election in the last 20 years was about 200, and the largest (Bush v. Gore in Florida) was about 1,200. Beshear's lead over Bevin is over 9,000, so no real fear of a recount.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/elections/election-results/kentucky/ Actually its not, 100% of the votes are in now and its about 5,300 difference. At least that is what this website says.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
very happy about the VA results. we need more of that next year to stop gop bullshit gerrymandering after the 2020 census.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
So why does Kentucky keep voting these kind of people in? And keeps re-electing McConnell?

Looks like McConnell won the primary for senate on at 60% last time, so sure enough he's not super popular. I only lived in Kentucky 2 years when I was young...north Kentucky is Republican light and turning purple. The Republicans up there aren't at McConnell's level, he seems more like rural, southern Kentucky which has more old south vibes.

Aug 12, 2019
Please send good vibes to KY. I expect Beshear will retain his victory even through a recount with his current 5000 vote victory, but Bevin is going to be a massive pain in the ass for the next few weeks and I suppose there's still a chance some fuckery could be about in such a process. I would just really like my vote in KY to have mattered this time around.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Please send good vibes to KY. I expect Beshear will retain his victory even through a recount at a 5000 vote victory, but Bevin is going to be a massive pain in the ass for the next few weeks and I suppose there's still a chance some fuckery could be about in such a process. I would just really like my vote in KY to have mattered this time around.

keep it up. You got this.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Please send good vibes to KY. I expect Beshear will retain his victory even through a recount with his current 5000 vote victory, but Bevin is going to be a massive pain in the ass for the next few weeks and I suppose there's still a chance some fuckery could be about in such a process. I would just really like my vote in KY to have mattered this time around.
KY currently has a Democrat as SoS so your vote should be fine.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Politico reports the reason why the AP hasn't listed a winner in Kentucky is the margin between the candidates and Bevin's refusal to concede:

Democrat Andy Beshear leads Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin, a Republican, by a nearly 4,700-vote margin with all precincts reporting in the state — but Bevin is refusing to concede, telling supporters Tuesday night that the race was too close to call.

"This is a close, close race. We are not conceding this race by any stretch," Bevin said, one night after appearing with President Donald Trump at an election-eve rally. "We want the process to be followed, and there is a process."

Beshear, the state attorney general, told his supporters that he had not spoken to his opponent but expects Bevin to "honor the election that was held tonight" and assist with the transition between administrations.

The Associated Press declined to project a winner in the race, citing the small margin between the candidates and Bevin's refusal to concede.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
So why does Kentucky keep voting these kind of people in? And keeps re-electing McConnell?

As far as I can tell, McConnell"s endurace comes from him not being hated back then + the fact that Kentucky became solidly republican. He won his first senate race by outing the dem incumbent by only 0.40% of the vote. He was able to survive the 2008 destruction by almost 6 points.

The difference since then is that, around ten years ago, Kentucky voters started to fucking despise Mitch. Thats why Grimes challenged him in 2014 but that election was a Red Wave and Kentucky voters realized "oh shit, I thought about voting for a democrat? nvm lol" so Grimes got crushed.

Would a better opponent do better in a democratic wave year, considering Kentucky voters hate him more than ever? Yeah, its likely.

Will this opponent beat him? Incredibly unlikely.