• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 3, 2018
How much longer will the dems hold out? Feels like they'll cave soon.

They have no reason to cave the pressure is on the President not them hell not even the republicans are blamed but Trump himself are blamed by the people.

The trump followers are pissed he is even considering caving on DACA he is the guy backed into a corner not the democrats.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Does she honestly think the wall is really where white supremacists will stop? If Dems cave on this they'll just keep pushing their agenda more and more. They don't care about the wall either. To them it's just something to show that white supremacy can get shit done.

Isn't she also very militaristic? Not someone I'd support tbh

Limit

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
She should run as an independent and siphon enough votes from the republican base so that anyone but Trump is elected.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are there actual numbers for how many people this entails? I feel like I saw a number around 10 percent?
Yes.

http://graphics.wsj.com/elections/2016/how-clinton-won/

Clinton won Dems 64/36, Sanders won Independents 64/36. Generally, given the way the US political system works, Independents/"Swing Voters" are going to be more socially conservative overall than Democrats.

You can see this here with figure 2 (the GOP is basically the upper right, Dems lower left, Is/Swing Voters/Populists in the upper left) and with the very specific outliers in figure 11.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Yes.

http://graphics.wsj.com/elections/2016/how-clinton-won/

Clinton won Dems 64/36, Sanders won Independents 64/36. Generally, given the way the US political system works, Independents/"Swing Voters" are going to be more socially conservative overall than Democrats.

You can see this here with figure 2 (the GOP is basically the upper right, Dems lower left, Is/Swing Voters/Populists in the upper left) and with the very specific outliers in figure 11.

Thanks for the numbers!

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only one side is making demands in order to allow the government to stay open. You must never negotiate with this type of hostage taking because of the horrible precedent it sets. Democrats are doing the just and moral thing by not giving him anything but a clean bill.

It should always be framed this way in every discussion

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the numbers!
No problem. Sanders had a VERY weird coalition of young people, lefties, and socially conservative populists (from all over the economic map) that was held together by anti-Hillary/anti-establishment sentiment. The primary difference between an Obama and Clinton voter wasn't ideology.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... she isn't wrong
The Democrats have passed 9 bills to reopen the government, how is she not wrong? The only thing Dems want before negotiating is for the government to reopen. Don't forget that this shutdown began under a republican led house that was unwilling to pass the extension proposed by the republican senate & the president before Fox News changed his mind.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
She has always been one of the worst of the Left...not the first time she has said or done something I strongly dislike

Swab

Oct 25, 2017
I am very fearful that this woman will get the nomination. Imagine a Gabbard/Sanders ticket... Yikes!

Oct 28, 2017
How much longer will the dems hold out? Feels like they'll cave soon.

Why would they "cave" when all polling shows that Trump can't get remotely close to a majority blaming Democrats for the shutdown.

If Trump had actual message discipline, then maybe you might have a point since that might actually put Democrats under a lot of political pressure to "cave". But he doesn't, in the span of a weekend Trump has shat out the following positions on the wall:
  1. Democrats are OBSTRUCTING everything
  2. I'm offering amnesty WHY ARE DEMOCRATS OBSTRUCTING
  3. Hang on, I'm not offering any amnesty stop yelling at me Fox News
  4. Well, maybe I might offer amnesty DEMOCRATS CAN'T OBSTRUCT
  5. I might just end up deporting people, HOW YOU LIKE THAT DEMS
  6. Pelosi's city is shit let me tell you
  7. Crying Chuck is a scrub
  8. Hey, Nancy let's talk about a deal like friends?
  9. We're already building the wall anyway so we don't need a deal
When someone is acting like this over a period of two days, you kind of can't cave because what do you even cave to? He's not even consistent in what he wants. Trump's been losing support over the two months and it isn't from Dems hating him any more than they already do. This tweet basically sums up the situation:

Last edited:

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
What's there to sit down and discuss? We don't want a wall. Take it off the table.

Oct 28, 2017
It's not. But it's also irrelevant to whether or not we should be funding our government. That's the key issue.

Again, this tweet basically sums up the situation:

Like this is literally what Trump has done. He has done out of his way to shut down the government, while saying he'll own the shut down, and isn't letting the government open unless they pass money for a racist monument that literally no one wants. Its not irrelevant, its directly tied to the reason why Republicans aren't funding the government.

Oct 31, 2017
What's there to sit down and discuss? We don't want a wall. Take it off the table.

I mean, not to mention government funding is the most basic thing I expect Congress to do. Holding it hostage over an unpopular pet project that you couldn't get done with full control?

This is one of the weirdest ways to distinguish herself she could have done.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, not to mention government funding is the most basic thing I expect Congress to do. Holding it hostage over an unpopular pet project that you couldn't get done with full control?

This is one of the weirdest ways to distinguish herself she could have done.
It's not weird at all considering that Gabbard's family only became Democrats because Hawaii is a one-party state and she was endorsed immediately by prominent white nationalists.

They knew who they were endorsing.

Oct 31, 2017
It's not weird at all considering that Gabbard's family only became Democrats because Hawaii is a one-party state and she was endorsed immediately by prominent white nationalists.

They knew who they were endorsing.

Yeah, but she's presumably running in a Democratic primary as being a champion progressive.

Unless the people thinking she's running for a Fox News analyst position are onto something.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but she's presumably running in a Democratic primary as being a champion progressive.

Unless the people thinking she's running for a Fox News analyst position are onto something.
She got away with it in 2016 because no one paid attention to details with the people supporting the anti-Hillary candidate and thought she could pull the same trick twice.

Oct 31, 2017
She got away with it in 2016 because no one paid attention to details with the people supporting the anti-Hillary candidate and thought she could pull the same trick twice.

I think it could go beyond that: if there's ever a congressperson who is in a safe district but doesn't vote as if they're in one, it's usually a Democrat. Look at some of the NYC state reps who went against gay marriage during their debates years ago on the issue. I don't mind moderate Dems at all, but it makes more sense when they're Doug Jones or Jon Tester.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Democrats: here are proposals that will actually help to fix issues with security:

Trump: Give me what I fucking want

Dems: No

Trump: Bye-Bye.

McConnell: Do what the president says

WHY WON'T THEY WORK TOGETHER

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
its the american people's fault, these representatives didn't fall out of the sky, we chose them

Oct 31, 2017
Democrats: here are proposals that will actually help to fix issues with security:

Trump: Give me what I fucking want

Dems: No

Trump: Bye-Bye.

McConnell: Do what the president says

WHY WON'T THEY WORK TOGETHER

If there's any kind of silver lining to the president "both siding" the Charlottesville, it's that it's allowed an opening to go after the thoughtless, reductive bOtH sIdEs dialogue that's plagued politics for a long time.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Both-Siders would answer what they think a compromise would look like.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I wish Both-Siders would answer what they think a compromise would look like.
Allowing Trump to take the American people hostage in order to build a useless wall, against their wishes while setting a new precedent that he can do this whenever he wants to emulate being a dictator.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
politicians wouldn't lie if the american people held them accountable for their lies

thats on the american people too
I mean, yeah, but then we vote people out and they get replaced with other liars half the time. Can't blame everything on the US citizens.
The entire system needs an overhaul from the top down. To be honest, I wouldn't even know where to start. We try and vote, and the popular vote doesn't even count so what the fuck lol

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I mean, yeah, but then we vote people out and they get replaced with other liars half the time. Can't blame everything on the US citizens.
The entire system needs an overhaul from the top down. To be honest, I wouldn't even know where to start. We try and vote, and the popular vote doesn't even count so what the fuck lol

if the american people wanted politicians who lie in excess, or lie about big things to be jailed, severely fined, or bared from most high level employment opportunities, they would be, and you'd have alot fewer lying politicians

if the american people really wanted it, and voted to get it, it would happen

these steps should have been taken place years ago, but people just vote for whoever they see on the television and then complain afterwards

we live in a representative democracy, not a dictatorship, people dont just force their way into power, we choose them, and we can literally have anything we want if we just vote for it

in 2020, the entire house of representatives could be segregationists if the american people wanted it, all 435 seats, theres literally nothing that couldn't happen if the american people willed it

Last edited: