• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
This is like stubbing your toe on the stairs so you burn down the house. She got got with Hillary's callout.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I dont get what some of ya'll aren't seeing here with a possible Gabbard bump because of all this. She has nowhere to go but up (assuming she doesn't just drop out).

Look at CNN.com front page right now https://www.cnn.com/ It says "Gabbard responds to Clinton: You are the 'personification of the rot' in Democratic Party"

Guess what, a lot of people hate Clinton and will agree with that. Some people will think something like "daaaamn, got 'er!" when they read that, not knowing or thinking that Gabbard is also trash. It only helps her at this point.
Helps her to do what? Come in 7th place instead of 8th? She's so low down she's completely irrelevant as far as the actual primary votes go.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Helps her to do what? Come in 7th place instead of 8th? She's so low down she's completely irrelevant as far as the actual primary votes go.
Helps her stay in the race at all. And sure I hope she stays that irrelevant I just think it's silly to even mention her like that and take any chance.

Mulligan

Oct 29, 2017
Calling for Hillary to join the race? Is she trying to fuck everything up?

This has been bandied about among the conspiracy theory circles that heavily dip into Russian State propaganda as their source material, since May of this year.

It's interesting that Tulsi brought up the, "Hillary joining the race," talking point, considering that many of the same conspiracy shows/podcasts that also (wishfully) spoke about Hillary joining the primary, are also the same shows that Tulsi has been a guest on.

Tulsi's most recent ACTIONs have been major red flags. She advertises on Breitbart, she repeats Russian propaganda/talking points, and she has been a guest on Fox News and Tucker Carlson. Those actions alone should disqualify her from even receiving a pittance of Democratic primary support.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
okay that's whatever i just think it's kind of an eyerolling way to discredit someone. all sorts of people, by that definition, are US assets and the US is the country behind Iraq, Afghanistan, waterboarding, illegal indefinite detention with no trial, Guantanamo, Abu Ghraib, Libya, illegal surveillance of foreign leaders, Donald Fucking Trump, etc.

Well... yeah? The US has many assets across the world. That's not a conspiracy theory.

all sorts of people advance all sorts of arguments that may align in some way with the agendas of other unpleasant states and governments. that doesn't make them an asset. it's kind of a bizarrely conspiratorial way to do political discourse and it's not how i engage, i'd rather confront the arguments and expose their shitiness. Gabbard is shitty for many reasons tho

It's not just that Tulsi's views align with Russia's, it's that her views are also boosted by Russia's media and bot networks. The former is true for many Republicans, the latter is not.

If someone can only be an asset if they're a literal Manchurian candidate, the problem is your definition of the word.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is like stubbing your toe on the stairs so you burn down the house. She got got with Hillary's callout.

yeppers

like, if she had just tweeted something totally innocuous, like "er... what" people probably wouldn't have rushed to judge so fast

also is it just me or is she trying to leverage that ancient interview trick where if you wear all-white you somehow come across as the Good Guy 'cause it's sort of comical at this point

Oct 25, 2017
Tulsi's primary opponent:

Just looked at this guy's site (which isn't at all on his Twitter for some reason) and he pretty much seems to be a run of the mill progressive "Justice Democrat" (not officially endorsed, but aligns politically). So he's pretty much Tulsi without any of the old socially conservative baggage she carries nor her weird stances on war or recently, healthcare.

I like Tulsi a bit, but he def seems to be better overall by a decent bit.

Edit: Also wait, he's getting a ton of donations from across the nation because of this? Why is it legal to financially support a candidate that's not representing your state? That def seems a little scummy. (For the record IDC that he's the one getting support in particular, but that seems weird in general, like if Canadians could donate to US Presidential campaigns.)

Last edited:

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Helps her stay in the race at all. And sure I hope she stays that irrelevant I just think it's silly to even mention her like that and take any chance.
She can "stay in the race" all she likes. It doesn't go on indefinitely. When the voting starts in just over three months in Iowa, half the candidates are going to end their campaigns when they get nothing. By the end of February and the NH, Nevada and SC primaries we will be down to 2-3 maximum (which are going to be Warren, Biden and Sanders, with a chance at Pete if he does well in Iowa), any hangers on then are just joke campaigns burning money for nothing.
Gabbard isn't even in the secondary tier of irrelevant like Harris or Yang, and they're not getting anything.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Wait, he's getting a ton of donations from across the nation because of this? Why is it legal to financially support a candidate that's not representing your state? That def seems a little scummy. (For the record IDC that he's the one getting support in particular, but that seems weird in general, like if Canadians could donate to US Presidential campaigns.)

Anyone in the US (or even Canada) can donate towards someone who's running for a certain position.

It doesn't matter if you're a resident of a certain state that the candidate is running in or not.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guess what, a lot of people hate Clinton and will agree with that. Some people will think something like "daaaamn, got 'er!" when they read that, not knowing or thinking that Gabbard is also trash. It only helps her at this point.

Hillary is not hated amongst Democrats

Tulsi's campaign is a dead end. None of this matters to this race

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a reason or theory on why the hell Clinton would even bring her up? I'm confused. Like, why??

It's not the first timr it's been suggested as she defended Assad after a surprise meeting with him in the wake of the chemical weapons attack, and she met with Trump and Bannon in Trump Tower after Trump was elected.

It just recently popped up again as Gabbard was accusing the Democrats of rigging the primaries before the most recent debate, and it was also noticed that at the same time she has been getting pushed hard by bots and Russian media. Here's the NYT article that set this off:

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Just looked at this guy's site (which isn't at all on his Twitter for some reason) and he pretty much seems to be a run of the mill progressive "Justice Democrat" (not officially endorsed, but aligns politically). So he's pretty much Tulsi without any of the old Republican baggage she carries nor her weird stances on war or recently, healthcare.

So he's not at all like Tulsi.

Oct 25, 2017
So he's not at all like Tulsi.
I'd argue she's been more weird recently. She used to be a hard champion of Medicare for All as well as be very anti-intervention (which I'd argue she still is, but her nuance on anti-terror is questionable), but she's been wavering on these as of late. Otherwise, she effectively shares a policy platform with him.
Clinton never named her.
That's a really crappy excuse. It's pretty clear she's not exactly referring to Marianne Williamson, and one of her aides confirmed outright it was Tulsi.

OP
OP
pigeon

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Just looked at this guy's site (which isn't at all on his Twitter for some reason) and he pretty much seems to be a run of the mill progressive "Justice Democrat" (not officially endorsed, but aligns politically). So he's pretty much Tulsi without any of the old socially conservative baggage she carries nor her weird stances on war or recently, healthcare.

Edit: Also wait, he's getting a ton of donations from across the nation because of this? Why is it legal to financially support a candidate that's not representing your state? That def seems a little scummy. (For the record IDC that he's the one getting support in particular, but that seems weird in general, like if Canadians could donate to US Presidential campaigns.)

What country do you live in?

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue she's been more weird recently. She used to be a hard champion of Medicare for All as well as be very anti-intervention (which I'd argue she still is, but her nuance on anti-terror is questionable), but she's been wavering on these as of late. Otherwise, she effectively shares a policy platform with him.

That's a really crappy excuse. It's pretty clear she's not exactly referring to Marianne Williamson, and one of her aides confirmed outright it was Tulsi.
Since when? Tulsi Gabbard literally went on Fox News while Obama was president to attack him for refusing to say "Islamic Extremist Terrorism," she's been trash for years and years and years.

OP
OP
pigeon

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
NY lol, but I have never donated to or actively supported a candidate outside of a Presidential election.

I am impressed at your ability to avoid learning basic information about the political system of your own country.

As somebody who lived very recently in Tulsi's district, please be advised that your understanding of her record is a sterling example of that ability.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
I think Hillary's Russia claim reeks of neoliberal conspiracy theory but this is an embarrassing retort. Just a disaster of an interaction between both parties all around here.

People keep trying to say shit like this without actually explain what makes the claim "conspiracy" instead of the most logical assessment based on the plethora of evidence available.

Here's an article from Feb alleging the same thing:

www.nbcnews.com

Russia's propaganda machine discovers 2020 Dem contender Tulsi Gabbard

Experts who track websites and social media linked to Russia have seen stirrings of a possible campaign of support for Hawaii Democrat Tulsi Gabbard.

Here is an official tweet from Russia's Embassy defending her defending Russia's position on Syria

There's like a dozen more of these coincidences.

Again, what makes Russia clear and demonstrable preference for her a conspiracy?

Oct 25, 2017
Since when? Tulsi Gabbard literally went on Fox News while Obama was president to attack him for refusing to say "Islamic Extremist Terrorism," she's been trash for years and years and years.
Hence my point about her nuance on terror. She supports torture in limited circumstances (AKA she's pro-torture) and has no issue with drone striking "terrorists". She is anti formal war but seems to have no restraint the second ISIS or Al Queda comes into play.

I am impressed at your ability to avoid learning basic information about the political system of your own country.
It's less avoiding and more nobody teaches you that shit and the only way to find out is to do so yourself. The closest ties I have to being taught about political activism is having a mom who votes Blue down the ballot every four years and a government teacher in high school who, despite his blatant biased perspective, pushed every student to be politically active so that we don't get chumps that don't represent our best interests in office.

But keep at the jabs and whatnot, that's sure to get people to agree with you.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Hence my point about her nuance on terror. She supports torture in limited circumstances (AKA she's pro-torture) and has no issue with drone striking "terrorists". She is anti formal war but seems to have no restraint the second ISIS or Al Queda comes into play.

It's less avoiding and more nobody teaches you that shit and the only way to find out is to do so yourself. The closest ties I have to being taught about political activism is having a mom who votes Blue down the ballot every four years and a government teacher in high school who, despite his blatant biased perspective, pushed every student to be politically active so that we don't get chumps that don't represent our best interests in office.
She's literally gone to bat for Assad while he's been killing his own people. Anti-war my ass.

She's literally in a bigoted cult. There's video of her at a meeting from last year.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

She literally flew on her own and in secret to Syria to glad-hand Assad, and defended him when he attacked his own citizens. How is she anti-war?''

She was against the iran deal and is a iran-war hawk like Bolton. You do think Bolton is anti-war?

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
I enjoyed the fact that when I clicked on this thread I got a Tulsi Gabbard campaign ad at the top.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tulsi Gabbard is fucking crazy and she needs to be kept the fuck away from any real power.

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
Also wait, he's getting a ton of donations from across the nation because of this? Why is it legal to financially support a candidate that's not representing your state? That def seems a little scummy. (For the record IDC that he's the one getting support in particular, but that seems weird in general, like if Canadians could donate to US Presidential campaigns.)

What the hell are you talking about?? Did you really just compare Americans donating to foreigners?

US citizens can donate to any federal campaign, you don't have to be in the district or state. Jesus how fucking uninformed are people in this country, it's scary... If you never took a class that covered this, maybe do a quick google search before making a fool of yourself?

If you think Tulsi's primary opponent getting donations from across the US is bad, wait until you read about all the RSS operatives across the US (mostly in Texas, which is not part of Hawaii's second district) who have financed Tulsi's political campaigns in exchange for her backing Modi:

NY lol, but I have never donated to or actively supported a candidate outside of a Presidential election.
Congrats on not letting the fact that you're so uninformed keep you from expressing your uninformed opinions, after all that is The American Way... and how we got Trump.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

That said, Tulsi seemed to have outed herself with this. What an idiot.

This gif should have been first post.

They can both eat shit, preferably somewhere we can ignore.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
Hillary probably considers warmonger to be a compliment; I remember she was baffled in a 2016 debate when Bernie said that her being close to Kissinger was in fact a bad thing. The fact that she lost to a fascist game show host prob hits her soul a lot harder.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
When you say shit a Russian asset would say and take offense when someone doesn't even call you out by name as being a Russian asset and you respond the same way a Russian asset would respond....maybe you're a Russian asset?

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think you're gonna hear much protest from people outside the US for using the term "asset" to describe politicians whose political ambitions are directly or indirectly boosted by the American government due to that person's friendliness to American interests.
no, i'm pretty sure I would. it's not a useful way to frame an argument.
Well... yeah? The US has many assets across the world. That's not a conspiracy theory.
you're completely misunderstanding the point
It's not just that Tulsi's views align with Russia's, it's that her views are also boosted by Russia's media and bot networks. The former is true for many Republicans, the latter is not.

If someone can only be an asset if they're a literal Manchurian candidate, the problem is your definition of the word.
no, my issue is that it's not a useful way to frame an argument. instead of confronting why what Gabbard is saying is wrong, it relies instead on a conspiratorial notion that she is a Russian "asset," something which can be really neither proved nor disproved, and instead places her on the defensive for why she is or isn't an asset of the Russian government rather than the point of discussion. if you possessed a view which said China's trade policy was unfair, and then that view was amplified by pro-US parties on social media, would it be fair to call you a Trump asset? i don't know, but it's not really contributing to the discussion on whether or not China's trade policy is correct to point out that your view might align with the Trump administration. it's just a juvenile, conspiratorial way to frame an argument

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
From November 21, 2016, not long after the election:
Democratic Rep. Tulsi Gabbard 'Under Serious Consideration' for Trump Cabinet

Democratic Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, a high-profile Bernie Sanders supporter during the Democratic primaries, is "under serious consideration" for various Cabinet positions in President-elect Donald Trump's administration, according to a senior official on the transition team.

According to the official, the 35-year-old Hawaii congresswoman is being looked as a candidate for secretary of state, secretary of defense or United Nations ambassador.
Those are... not minor cabinet positions.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
no, i'm pretty sure I would. it's not a useful way to frame an argument.

you're completely misunderstanding the point

no, my issue is that it's not a useful way to frame an argument. instead of confronting why what Gabbard is saying is wrong, it relies instead on a conspiratorial notion that she is a Russian "asset," something which can be really neither proved nor disproved, and instead places her on the defensive for why she is or isn't an asset of the Russian government rather than the point of discussion. if you possessed a view which said China's trade policy was unfair, and then that view was amplified by pro-US parties on social media, would it be fair to call you a Trump asset? i don't know, but it's not really contributing to the discussion on whether or not China's trade policy is correct to point out that your view might align with the Trump administration. it's just a juvenile, conspiratorial way to frame an argument
1) Hillary never uses the word asset. Nor did she even mention Tulsi.

2) The fact that Tulsi is being signal boosted by the Russian bot farms online and even on official channels is an easy to prove, observable fact that people have been pointing out for months. They haven't hid this fact at all, she's literally being put on state-run Russian media. The only reason this is at all controversial is because it is Hillary saying this which causes idiots to lose their minds.

3) Your Trump trade war comparison is completely invalid. Tulsi's Syria position only helps Assad and Putin. That's the whole point. Trying to frame this as some conspiracy based on Tulsi agreeing with Russia on some minute policy is completely disingenuous.

Last edited:

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
Andrew Yang came out and supported Tulsi.

Some Sanders supporters are begging Bernie to do the same.

This whole thing is fucking weird.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
You seem to be obsessed with reducing me to some kinda weird stereotype you have in your head and seem to be incapable of not attacking me

We dont need to really reduce you to anything. Tulsi rand to Tucker Carlson and Fox News, and this isn't the first time, and you are here trying to convince us it means nothing. Hillary was 100% right about Gabbard, and you hate her so much your mind won't let you accept that she's spot on about Tulsi. In any case, only a minority of people are so delusional that they would look at Tuslis record, and her running to Fox News to interview as "nothing to see here". But I guess you can keep trying to sell it.

Not like you are really here to discuss Tulsi anyway. You are just here to sate your hate boner for Clinton.

Cutting open the wound and revealing the third party play was worth it. Tulsi cannot do that now without looking HILARIOUSLY more suspect than she even does right now. She isn't going to vault to contention, I have no idea why anyone is worried about this. At best she gets 6th instead of what, 9th? That's nothing, and its worth heading a possible disaster like a third party run off at the pass. Its a great chess move honestly.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
1) Hillary never uses the word asset

2) The fact that Tulsi is being signal boosted by the Russian bot farms online and even on official channels is an easy to prove, observable fact that people have been pointing out for months. They haven't hid this fact at all, she's literally being put on state-run Russian media. The only reason this is at all controversial is because it is Hillary saying this.
1) i never said that she did.

2) so what? that doesn't make her an asset. it's totally distant to the point.

the definition of an asset is crystal clear, no matter how much you try to change it.

it is someone who provides intelligence to a foreign power. an argument you disagree with being amplified by russian bots is not the same thing as providing intelligence to a foreign power. it's providing an argument, regardless of who it's amplified by. there's no intelligence (in multiple senses of the word, i'm afraid). once again, the only thing it serves to do is to change the argument into whether or not she is an asset or whether or not it's appropriate to call someone an asset. that's clearly the discussion you'd rather have because it involves disproving something that can't be proved one way or the other, but it's not useful to the actual point.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
1) i never said that she did.

2) so what? that doesn't make her an asset. it's totally distant to the point.

the definition of an asset is crystal clear, no matter how much you try to change it.

it is someone who provides intelligence to a foreign power. an argument you disagree with being amplified by russian bots is not the same thing as providing intelligence to a foreign power. it's providing an argument, regardless of who it's amplified by. there's no intelligence (in multiple senses of the word, i'm afraid). once again, the only thing it serves to do is to change the argument into whether or not she is an asset or whether or not it's appropriate to call someone an asset. that's clearly the discussion you'd rather have because it involves disproving something that can't be proved one way or the other, but it's not useful to the actual point.

Are you or me a high ranking politican that has defended a Russian backed syrian regime? While being defending by said State run televesion and offical social media channels?

You are adamant at arguing about the political definition of Asset instead of looking at concrete facts.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
From November 21, 2016, not long after the election:
Democratic Rep. Tulsi Gabbard 'Under Serious Consideration' for Trump Cabinet

Those are... not minor cabinet positions.

What's amazing to me is how hard most of OffTopic-ERA goes against the all evil and terrible *drumroll* """"Fence sitting centrists in the Democratic Party""""

Then, along struts Tulsi who is damn near right wing to the point of regular appearances on Fox News and getting considered for positions in Trump's cabinet and constantly guilty of legit regurgitating flat out Right Wing talking points.... But since it was Hillary Clinton that called her out, we have a defense force for her?

Really?

mmmmmkay.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
imagine people wanting gabbard to be president and having to hear her say aloha for the next four years

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell are you talking about?? Did you really just compare Americans donating to foreigners?

US citizens can donate to any federal campaign, you don't have to be in the district or state. Jesus how fucking uninformed are people in this country, it's scary... If you never took a class that covered this, maybe do a quick google search before making a fool of yourself?

If you think Tulsi's primary opponent getting donations from across the US is bad, wait until you read about all the RSS operatives across the US (mostly in Texas, which is not part of Hawaii's second district) who have financed Tulsi's political campaigns in exchange for her backing Modi:

Congrats on not letting the fact that you're so uninformed keep you from expressing your uninformed opinions, after all that is The American Way... and how we got Trump.

Maybe you could've saved yourself the essay by just posting the two links and politely asking me to scan them over rather than shitting all over everybody who doesn't share the exact same worldview or history as you?

Last edited:

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are you or me a high ranking politican that has defended a Russian backed syrian regime? While being defending by said State run televesion and offical social media channels?
no? but the question is interesting in that it doesn't even begin to address the point or anything I said (it's not even on the same planet as responding to my argument), but just instead repeats the "but here's why she really is an asset" thing louder

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
If you are parroting Russian talking points, taking positions that benefit Russia, being propped up by Russian bots, etc...you are a Russian asset, knowingly or unknowingly. It makes no difference.

Jill Stein was a Russian asset.
Donald Trump is a Russian asset.
Tulsi Gabbard is a Russian asset.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you are parroting Russian talking points, taking positions that benefit Russia, being propped up by Russian bots, etc...you are a Russian asset, knowingly or unknowingly. It makes no difference.

Jill Stein was a Russian asset.
Donald Trump is a Russian asset.
Tulsi Gabbard is a Russian asset.
saying something over and over again doesn't make it more true

Status
Not open for further replies.