• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wescoast76

Tried to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Sep 22, 2018
Splatterhouse, Legendary Axe and Bonk's Adventure are the holy trinity of Turbo exclusives.

Also Neutopia 1&2 are great Zelda clones.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
lords of thunder... or was that turbo cd? either way play lords of thunder at some point in your life

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lords of thunder... or was that turbo cd? either way play lords of thunder at some point in your life

Lords of Thunder is on the Sega CD.

Gates of Thunder, however, is a Turbo CD exclusive and it rules.

Some great TG-16/PCE exclusives:

Bomberman 93
Soldier Blade
Gunhead
Neutopia 1 & 2
Air Zonk
Military Madness
Bonk III: Bonk's Big Adventure
New Adventure Island
Final Lap Twin

Splatterhouse, Legendary Axe and Bonk's Adventure are the holy trinity of Turbo exclusives.

Bonk's Adventure and Splatterhouse were both ported to multiple systems. The Turbo Grafx version of Bonk's Adventure isn't even close to being the best version -- the Amiga version is.

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Legendary Axe - Amongst the best action sidescrollers of the entire generation.

Dungeon Explorer - Basically Gautlet meets Zelda. It's very fun to play even today.

Splatterhouse - Very fun beat-em-up. I'd wager the best version of the game too. The second one wasn't as good, and I feel the third one is too complicated depending on the day.

Bonk - Not quite Mario or Sonic, but just a rung below. Very good games that are unique and fun.

Momotarou Katsugeki (JPN only) - Very fun sidescroller with lots of charm.

Genji Tsuushin Agedama (JPN only) - Sort of like Alisha Dragoon, only that you are forced to go right. Very fun and colorful.

Ninja Spirit - Awesome arcadey ninja game.

The Turbografx/PC-Engine is a wonderful console. It isn't quite the SNES or Genesis but it has some damn good games. Especially those left in Japan and on the CD. One thing I do disagree is that the system is the "holy grail of shoot-em-ups". While it has many, outside of the Thunder series, they tend to not be much to write home about.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
CD/DUO or just the original hardware? Blazing lazers, bonk series, r-type, devils crush, adventure island, dragons curse, bomberman 93/94. That should get you started. If there is CD as well it adds quite a bit more worth playing.

Didn't see exclusive. Whoops. Many of these have variants on other systems. Still the list is good and these are some of the best versions of these games available.

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Assuming that last poster was talking about Bomberman 94, then none of these games are exclusive.

The poster doesn't really say whether or not they mean exclusive as in "you can't get the game anywhere else" akin to say Rolling Thunder 3 on the Genesis, or exclusive as in "it was a game exclusive for the system at the time and helped define it" akin to Sonic the Hedgehog for the Genesis.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The poster doesn't really say whether or not they mean exclusive as in "you can't get the game anywhere else" akin to say Rolling Thunder 3 on the Genesis, or exclusive as in "it was a game exclusive for the system at the time and helped define it" akin to Sonic the Hedgehog for the Genesis.

Bomberman 94 wasn't exclusive for the time. Most of these games people are listing actually sold better on other systems. most of the world knows Bomberman 94 as Mega Bomberman on the Genesis/Megadrive.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
I have a PC-Engine Duo mostly because of shooting games, so:

Rayxanber III is great. Not the best STG on the system but is still impressive. The second stage is awesome and the soundtrack is remarkable.

L-Dis is one of the most forgotten games on the system. I don't know why because yeah, it's a simple but damn fun game. Also is one of the less expensive games available on the machine, you can still get a copy on eBay for less than 50 (well... at least in 2016 when I tried it).

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
man this is one retro console i wouldn't mind getting the Classic edition with all the bells and whistles (cd support so rondo)
As someone who was born in 1980, everyone knew about the TG16 (Bonk!) but I didnt know anyone except one kid who had one. The only reason i knew about the master system is one single kid had one.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who was born in 1980, everyone knew about the TG16 (Bonk!) but I didnt know anyone except one kid who had one. The only reason i knew about the master system is one single kid had one.

It's something, I'm from a country that people started to knew about the console thanks to internet.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
What are some great TG16 exclusives? I got my hands on one and honestly don't know the library too well.

Not an exclusive, but Cadash is superior on TG-16 than Genesis (it has 2 additional character classes). Also, all of the Bonk titles, and air zonk.

Blazing Lazers, the TV Sports titles, Devil and Alien Crush (if you are into pinball)

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Can only think of these right now..

New Adventure Island
Legend of Hero Tomna
Bloody Wolf
Samurai Ghost
Air Zonk
Jackie Chan's action kung fu
super star soldier

These Japan only
Mr Heli no daibouken
Hana Taaka Daka !?!
Space Invaders Fukkatsu no hi
Valkyrie no densetsu - pc engine version is unique
gamola speed
Darius Plus
gradius - yes this is on every platform but the pc engine version has unique sound, extra stage and hidden bonus stages in one package

Also if you manage to get a ever drive put Magical Chase on there along with parasol stars and Coryoon

Last edited:

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Legendary Axe II deserves a mention. It gets overshadowed by the first game but technically they weren't part of the same series originally in Japan anyway. The second game is creepier and plays more like Rastan.

A lot of the best TG16 games aren't exclusive but they tend to be unique enough from other ports.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, a bit of a stretch in my opinion. Plus you're not factoring in the various PC ports and the cell phone port too.

The PC and cell phone versions are not ports of the Turbo Grafx Military madness, it's of the remake.

And it's not a stretch at all. It's an entirely different game. Military Madness, as it appeared on the TG16, is exclusive to it.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
To name a few :

- Gunhead
- Star Soldier
- Super Star Soldier
- Final Soldier

(Technically all those came out for the PSP in a single collection)

- Coryoon
- Magical Chase
- Download
- Download 2
- Dead Moon
- Spriggan
- Spriggan Mark 2
- Star Parodia
- Toilet Kids (if only for the novelty)
- Rondo of Blood (even if it's also on PSP and now PS4)
- dragonball Z
- Tengai Makyo 1 2 and Kabuki Densetsu
- Valys 4
- Shibbubbiman 2 and 3
- Vegues
- Air Zonk
- Gates of Thunder (which is more or less a Thunderforce 3 clone which isn't surprising knowing who did it)

The list goes on and there are many many
Shmups

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I was unaware that an x68000 port existed. Regardless, the cell phone port absolutely is a port of the Xbox 360 and PSN versions. It's not "a bit of a stretch" at all to note that those versions are different games.

No, there's a port of the PC Engine/TG-16 version on cell phones too. The newer version got ported to the iPhone if I recall, but I'm not talking about that version.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
also forgot to mention re the HuCards the Japanese releases will not work on the TG-16 without an adaptor/region mod due to different pin layouts however the cd games are region free. Some of the later CD-Rom games require a Japanese ARCADE card which might confuse things a bit more.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah all I'm finding in terms of cell phone ports is Military Madness 2, and Military Madness: Nectaris. I am not seeing any port of Military Madness to any cell phone games.

Also saying it's exclusive is like saying Shadow of the Colossus is exclusive to the PS2.

Uh, no. Excluding the remake, which is akin to what Military Madness: Necaris is, SotC got an actual port, not remake, on the PS3.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
http://nectaris.tg-16.com/nectaris_legacy_01.html#imode

Also saying it's exclusive is like saying Shadow of the Colossus is exclusive to the PS2 when people will point to the PS4 remake as a place to play it too.

...what you are pointing to me is a cell phone port of Neo Nectaris, aka Military Madness II. It is not a port of Military Madness.

And if people pointed to the PS4 remake of SotC to say it wasn't PS2 exclusive, then I would point out correctly that the PS4 version is a remake, not a port. But SotC is not exclusive to the PS2, because it got a PS3 port, not remake.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
To name a few :

- Gunhead
- Star Soldier
- Super Star Soldier
- Final Soldier

(Technically all those came out for the PSP in a single collection)

- Coryoon
- Magical Chase
- Download
- Download 2
- Dead Moon
- Spriggan
- Spriggan Mark 2
- Star Parodia
- Toilet Kids (if only for the novelty)
- Rondo of Blood (even if it's also on PSP and now PS4)
- dragonball Z
- Tengai Makyo 1 2 and Kabuki Densetsu
- Valys 4
- Shibbubbiman 2 and 3
- Vegues
- Air Zonk
- Gates of Thunder (which is more or less a Thunderforce 3 clone which isn't surprising knowing who did it)

The list goes on and there are many many
Shmups
This is a good list. The TG16 and TCD have a ton of really great games. It's especially good if you like shmups. You've gotta look at the JPN-only PCE releases for a lot of the really good stuff though.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
...what you are pointing to me is a cell phone port of Neo Nectaris, aka Military Madness II. It is not a port of Military Madness.

I assumed it was the original since they call it just Nectaris and not Neo Nectaris and kept referring to the TG16 version which Neo Nectaris didn't come out on. It only was released in Japan. Either way, I've already proven it's not an exclusive.

And if people pointed to the PS4 remake of SotC to say it wasn't PS2 exclusive, then I would point out correctly that the PS4 version is a remake, not a port. But SotC is not exclusive to the PS2, because it got a PS3 port, not remake.

Like I said, I forgot the PS3 version exists, but I don't think most people would say the PS4 remake doesn't count even if it is a remake.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Lords of Thunder is on the Sega CD.
However, the Turbo Duo version is superior because it sounds better.
For some reason, they remastered the (excellent) music on the Mega CD version, resulting in some of the instruments sounding muffled.

Lords of Thunder is one of my favorite games of all time. It's a great shooter combined with a great Metal soundtrack.
For anyone that wants to try it, it is available on the Japanese PS store for the PS3.

Why isn't Alien Crush a more prevalent answer...
Alien Crush is also an excellent game.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Check for:

Legendary Axe
Ninja Spirit (conversion from Arcade)
Bloody Wolf (conversion from Arcade)
Devil's Crush (even if it isn't exclusive)
Cadash (conversion from Arcade also available on Mega Drive)
Bomberman '93
Soldier Blade
Blazing Lazers
Neutopia 1 & 2
Air Zonk
Military Madness
Bonk 3
New Adventure Island