• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Look at PC Engine Exclusives, and not TG16 stuff. The system has far, far, far more games than the tiny TG16 library would have you think.

AxkilAvenger

Banned
Apr 8, 2018
Legendary Axe is a game I played at a sleep over as a youth. I fell in love with it yet I never ever had a chance to play it again to this day. I remember drooling over pics of the sequel in magazines

Oct 27, 2017
man this is one retro console i wouldn't mind getting the Classic edition with all the bells and whistles (cd support so rondo)
As someone who was born in 1980, everyone knew about the TG16 (Bonk!) but I didnt know anyone except one kid who had one. The only reason i knew about the master system is one single kid had one.
Similar here. Born in '79 and I only knew it from the pages of EGM and Video Games & Computer Entertainment. Their ad game was STRONG. I never knew anyone who owned one, though. I wish someone would make a micro-console.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
What are some great TG16 exclusives? I got my hands on one and honestly don't know the library too well.

Congrats man! You need Legendary Axe. It's only playable on a Turbografx as it never made it's way to VC.

Other great Turbo games...

R*Type
Bloody Wolf
Ninja Spirit - (A must own)
Bonk games
Devil's Crush - (Way better than Alien Crush)
Vigilante
Ordyne
Psychosis
Military Madness (Literally Advance Wars)

Enjoy it!

Oct 29, 2017
Congrats man! You need Legendary Axe. It's only playable on a Turbografx as it never made it's way to VC.

Other great Turbo games...

R*Type
Bloody Wolf
Ninja Spirit - (A must own)
Bonk games
Devil's Crush - (Way better than Alien Crush)
Vigilante
Ordyne
Psychosis
Military Madness (Literally Advance Wars)

Enjoy it!

This is actually literally true! The Military Madness team would end up working on some of the actual entries in the Nintendo Wars series, including Gameboy Wars Turbo, Gameboy Wars 2 and Gameboy Wars 3! (Outside of the Batallion Wars games, these are the only Wars games not developed by Intelligent Systems).

And yes, it's a real shame that Legendary Axe never made its way to the Virtual Console, I always wanted to play it :(

I'd hope and pray that Nintendo would revive the VC and bring back the TG16 library but... sigh... :(

Guess I'm gonna have to go out and get the original hardware at some point...

OP
OP
Brass Body Dave
Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate all the responses. My shopping list got bigger. I wonder which of these is going to hurt my wallet most.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Sorry, DP.

Similar here. Born in '79 and I only knew it from the pages of EGM and Video Games & Computer Entertainment. Their ad game was STRONG.

Remember contest in EGM?

hl6GkeJ.jpg

Last edited:

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017

How could you guys forget the greatest exclusive ever? I was so hyped when I saw this game in a magazine as a kid. I loved Darkwing Duck and seeing the graphics compared to the NES game was amazing. It looks just like the cartoon. But I never owned a Turbografx 16 so I never got to play it until emulators became a thing. Boooooooooooooooooooooy was I disappointed. It made me appreciate my NES game so much more.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have great memories of Aldynes (great shmup) that I played at a friend's house.

Wasn't it one of the handful of games built specifically for the SF16?

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I have great memories of Aldynes (great shmup) that I played at a friend's house.

Wasn't it one of the handful of games built specifically for the SF16?

Yeah Aldynes was one of 5 games made exclusively for the Japan-only SuperGrafx.

Graphically, Aldynes may initially appear to be a little dull in the color department. Look at the multi-layer parallax and sheer size and number of sprites on the screen at one time, however, and you will immediately realize that the less powerful PC-Engine would have had a difficult time dealing with this game sans flicker. Some of the bosses are absolutely huge. A good showing of the increased sprite handling capability of the SuperGrafX, though the colors in a couple of the levels appear as if this were a Genesis shmup.
Gameplay is where Aldynes really shines. You pick up weapon, option, and speed upgrades a la R-Type, but the game puts a heavy emphasis on reflex shmupping as well (like Gradius). The enemy patterns are nicely done, and even a seasoned shoot-em-up fan will find a tough challenge here. Though the weapon system is nothing revolutionary, some of the weapons themselves are quite original. There's a standard blue straight-ahead laser, a green orb spread shot, a white laser that bounces along the walls (comes in handy at various points in the game), and a strange red force field that expands outward from your ship.
A lot of people overlook Aldynes, simply for the fact that it was released to such a limited audience (i.e. it was released on the ill-fated NEC SuperGrafX). For shame, as those lucky enough to have owned a SuperGrafX and Aldynes got to play one of the best shmups out there. Truely a testament to the power of the SuperGrafX, it featured everything a shmup-lover could ask for... dead-on gameplay, intensity, and gigantic bosses. While there are better shmups out there, they are few... very few. Aldynes ranks in as a well deserved number nine on my top ten favorite shmups of all time.
http://shmups.com/reviews/aldynes/index.html

jj and jeff - amazingly weird

gHPXkKu.jpg

................lol^

Last edited:

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
jj and jeff - amazingly weird
keith courage
Psychosis
blazing lazers
BLOODY WOLF
Bonk 1-3
alien crush - pinball game
Victory Run - racing game that was one continuous race

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Promotional VHS tape from 1989. I remember watching this at Toys 'R Us on a TV where all the consoles were displayed in the cabinet they'd have back in those days.

And my all-time favorite TurboGrafx-16 TV commercial was the one for Legendary Axe.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Time Cruise is one of my favorite pinball games, even though it gets overshadowed by the Crush games. Catchy music and some fun minigames and a multi screen playing field that stretches horizontally as well as vertically.

Mesopotamia/ Somer Assault stars a slinky like creature that maneuvers mazes and fights against the 12 signs of the Zodiac. It's an Atlus title and unlike anything else I've ever played.

The Super Star Soldier / Soldier Blade / Final Soldier games are excellent vertical shmups that look really good for hu card titles.

Air Zonk has some of the best music on hu card, and is a fun horizontal shmup. Not sure about the CD version.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Mr Heli only on PC Engine? It's one console I was really tempted to import for Mr Heli, Legend of hero Tonma, and R-type

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I have nothing to add, but just wanted to say how badly I wanted one of these back in the day. I eventually got one in the mid/late-90s, but the screenshots from all those first-year TG16 games I looked at in EGM are burned in my brain. Will never forget seeing what the TG16 version of R-Type looked like compared to the SMS version I had, etc. Blazing Lazers looked like something out of the future, and when Ninja Spirit and Ys CD were getting 10s, the thirst was real. LOL Good memories.

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
Parasol Stars almost never gets mentioned in these threads, so I'd like to put a shout out for that one. Such a fun game in the Bubble Bobble series.

Memory Pak

Aug 29, 2018
Recently tried a few TG-16 games through virtual console. I can recommend Bomberman '94 (not an exclusive, it was known as Mega Bomberman in most places), it's got a fun single player campaign with several worlds. Great art style and decent music, and multiplayer option of course. Presumably Bomberman '93, which was exclusive, is of similar quality?
Gunhed/Blazing Lazers is a quality shooter that was unique to the system for a long time. There were console bundles sold with this as pack-in too, so I think it should be relatively affordable.

If you're going the PC-Engine route, Image Fight is another cool shmup, not exclusive though - I think it originated in arcades and had ports on NES and X68000. The music isn't great in it though and you should be warned it's VERY difficult; might be better suited for virtual console with save states if I'm honest.
Same goes for its sequel, Image Fight II: Operation Deepstriker. Quality game, and this time with better music because it was a PC-Engine CD game. Still very difficult though, I think save states on virtual console are the way to go here as well.

Lords of Thunder is on the Sega CD.

Gates of Thunder, however, is a Turbo CD exclusive and it rules.

Some great TG-16/PCE exclusives:

Bomberman 93
Soldier Blade
Gunhead
Neutopia 1 & 2
Air Zonk
Military Madness
Bonk III: Bonk's Big Adventure
New Adventure Island
Final Lap Twin

Perhaps worth mentioningthat most of these were later released on the Wii (U) virtual consoles, except for Military Madness and Final Lap Twin. I'm assuming they'd be cheaper there. Since the Wii shop goes down soon though, that would require OP to have a Wii U haha.