Turbografx-16 / PC-engine |OT| Hold select and run to RESET

Oct 25, 2017
I don't need to RGB mod the system?
Not necessarily. The SSDS3 includes a RGB output. There are other addons that offer this as well. If you decide to go the traditional route to play CD games such as a "briefcase" setup or a Duo-R then yes, it will need RGB modding.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
If I just raise the cover to the battery compartment with double sided tape, I wonder if I can get a normal CR2032 to fit in.
The art on the card is pretty great, so I'd ideally like to keep it on!

So, if I'm understanding the PC Engine save situation correctly, there's no non-volatile save option for the systems?
It's a possibility, I haven't tried just a regular CR2032 in it. In regards to your second question, I have seen people who have replaced the capacitor powered ram in a Duo/Duo-R/RX with FRAM. I have no idea on how easy or hard that mod is to do. I've also seen ones where people have modded in a little LCD screen with a little button switch, to say what page they're on, since the FRAM they put in was bigger. Again though no idea on how difficult or easy those kinds of mods are. I just popped the top off my tennokoe and put a new battery in and have sadly left it with the top popped.

The SSDS3 manages saves and is non-volatile.
Sorry - I meant of the original options released back in the 1990s. But, your answer is definitely a solution.
My issue is that I only have use for the CD aspect of the system and wish to play the CDs on original hardware for as long as possible.

In regards to your second question, I have seen people who have replaced the capacitor powered ram in a Duo/Duo-R/RX with FRAM. I have no idea on how easy or hard that mod is to do. I've also seen ones where people have modded in a little LCD screen with a little button switch, to say what page they're on, since the FRAM they put in was bigger. Again though no idea on how difficult or easy those kinds of mods are. I just popped the top off my tennokoe and put a new battery in and have sadly left it with the top popped.
This has me wondering if there's any way to mod Ten no Koe cards in a similar way. I'm guessing not. But, considering it's the most cost effective solution out there for saves, it'd be a great way to help out the community.

Searching around, I found people asking for a flash solution on the Ten no Koe card since 2006, so I'm apparently not the only one who would like this!

Oct 25, 2017
I know people were asking for a solution from Krikzz as well with the turbo everdrive and I think that got a never going to happen response or something. It would be nice to be able to back up my Ys I+II, III, IV, and Castlevania saves to my computer.

Yeah, the TurboEverdrive is the most obvious solution, but still a bit costly. As it stands, I just keep my most important saves on both a Ten no Koe and my console. That way, if one of the batteries dies, I should hopefully be ok, unless they both die at once...

I have an original french RGB modded PC engine done by Sodipeng. Great little machine. I particularly love Ninja Spirit
Wha? I had no clue there was a French PC Engine!
Does it just look like a Japanese PC Engine and is it compatible with Japanese PC Engine cards or US Turbografx cards?
Thanks for sharing!!

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know the best save backup units for the PC Engine?
Everything I can find, besides internal saves, is battery backed and will lose all saves when the batteries die.

OR! Does anyone know a good place to get a Ten no Koe card battery replaced?
Tennokoe Shop UK is great. I purchased a refurbished bank from them a few weeks ago and it works perfectly. They seem to have a reasonably priced battery replacement service as well.

Also, how did you modify your IFU? I purchased one recently (only just getting into PCE) and love using it, but RGB would really be great.

To chime in on the SSD3, I recently got one (direct from TerraOnion) and can attest that the newest batches have the video and audio issues fixed. Sometimes I've noticed audio and video cut out while playing, but I suspect that's due to my cable. TerraOnion and StoneAgeGamer both are shipping out this new revision.

Nov 10, 2017
Orange, CA
Talk me into a SSD3 and pc engine. So I can just download the roms to a microSD card and good to go? Then I would need to find an old CRT monitor. What a rabbit hole to go down. Do the games run just like they do?

Oct 25, 2017
Talk me into a SSD3 and pc engine. So I can just download the roms to a microSD card and good to go? Then I would need to find an old CRT monitor. What a rabbit hole to go down. Do the games run just like they do?
Yes, the HuCard games playing on the SSDS3 are indistinguishable from the real thing. The CD games have shorter load times and a small number of them have some technical issues but they run great for the most part, and the CD audio issues can be fixed with a mod offered by FireBrandX.

Oct 25, 2017
Does it just look like a Japanese PC Engine and is it compatible with Japanese PC Engine cards or US Turbografx cards?
Thanks for sharing!!
From Wikipedia:

After seeing the TurboGrafx-16 suffer in America, NEC decided to cancel their European releases. Units for the European markets were already produced, which were essentially US models modified to run on PAL television sets, and branded as simply TurboGrafx. NEC sold this stock to distributors - in the United Kingdom Telegames released the TurboGrafx in 1990 in extremely limited quantities.[12] This model was also released in Spain and Portugal through selected retailers.[13] No PAL HuCards were made, and instead the European system can play all American games without modifications, albeit with the necessary slowdown to 50 Hz.

PC Engine consoles (as well as some of its add-ons) were imported from Japan by French unlicensed importer Sodipeng (Société de Distribution de la PC Engine, a subsidiary of Guillemot International), from November 1989 to 1993.[14] This came after considerable enthusiasm in the French press. This PC Engine was largely available in France and Benelux through major retailers. It came with French language instructions and also an AV cable to enable its input to a SECAM television set. Its launch price was 1,790 French francs (about 416 as of 2013).[15]

Huh. I was searching for pictures and proof and everything on that French system, and didn't find much - so I didn't even bother trying to look it up on Wikipedia.

A super fascinating system, though! AND Ninja Spirit is still amazing.

Tennokoe Shop UK is great. I purchased a refurbished bank from them a few weeks ago and it works perfectly. They seem to have a reasonably priced battery replacement service as well.

Also, how did you modify your IFU? I purchased one recently (only just getting into PCE) and love using it, but RGB would really be great.
Awesome information, much appreciated!

For my IFU, it was not quite as simple as some other RGB mods out there, but not too bad. I had to track down an amp from someone out here in the US on eBay. Then, at that time, I had to decipher the proper wiring scheme on the IFU itself - and finally, you have to drill out a spot for the DIN connectors - I would recommend somewhere on the back part of the case.

If Voultar comes out with his new IFU RGB amp, as promised, that will be a much better, easier solution! You will probably need to drill the case still, though.

To be honest, you do not necessarily need an old CRT monitor - there is the RetroTINK, which costs about $100 that will upscale through component at 480p. The OSSC will do the same, but also takes SCART.
And, technically, some newer TVs will accept 240p and output them at 480p, no extra technology needed - but it's not optimal.

Most old CRT monitors run for around $75-100 and no one knows how much longer they will last.

If you enjoy retro games and would like to play more in the future on modern TVs, the money you put toward any old CRT might be better spent on newer technology that will allow you to enjoy retro consoles for longer.

Last edited:
So with a retrotink2, SSD3, core graphx system, it will be about $500 to enjoy some PC engine goodness?
With that particular setup, yes. Keep in mind, you can use an OSSC and RetroTink with most other popular retro consoles, so that is a worthwhile investment if you'd like to use other retro consoles on newer set ups.

A few ideas to cut costs:
1) Try and find a really cheap CRT with component inputs at a Thrift Store or by asking around OR
2) Buy PC Engine + SSDS3 first, and use composite cables on whatever TV you have for a while OR
3) If you aren't as interested in the CD games, you can save $150 by getting a TurboEverdrive instead of SSDS3.
If you DO have any interest in PC Engine/Turbo CD games, the SSDS3 would be a much better idea.

And the cheapest option: just buy a PC Engine CoreGrafx (model 1 or 2 will be fine), composite AV Cables, and a couple good, cheap PC Engine games (HuCards) and enjoy a slightly blurry, maybe laggy picture on your flatscreen while saving up for the other accessories mentioned here.
Even better, if you get a cheap CRT, composite cables will look just fine on it.

But, yeah. A lot of us here have put in a fair amount of investment, both time and money, to get a pristine picture on either a high end CRT or device to upscale images on our flatscreens.

All that said, retro gaming is all about enjoying the games and the systems in whatever way you can. The most important thing is to enjoy what you feel most comfortable purchasing.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

Thanks for sharing!!
Well, kinda. It's actually a japanese PC engine distributed officially by Sodipend in France. It's RGB modded by them and there is even a french manual. I think the RGB image is great.

Thanks. Any other places besides ebay for getting a good coregraphix?
Not for a decent price at this time, no.
Maybe some Japanese auction sites have some good prices, but there's an obvious language and currency barrier there.

You might be able to place a bid on an eBay seller like Yamatoku Classic to get one for cheap. Just mind the shipping costs!