• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PC_Engine_logo.png

Turbografx-16 / PC-engine |OT| Hold select and run to RESET

Release Dates
Japan- October 30, 1987
US- August 29, 1989
Europe- No official release

The PC-engine? What's that, some kind of micro computer?
The PC-engine was a home console created as a joint collaboration between Hudson Soft and NEC (the king of Japanese PC's at the time). Boasting a 16 bit GPU but only a 8 bit CPU, it fell into an awkward middle between the two generations, a problem exacerbated by it's late release in the west.

Why are you putting a credit card into the system? Is this Pay-to-win?
No! The PC-engine/Turbografx utilized a method of cartridges known as Hucards, which were the shape of a card (but slightly thicker). Interestingly enough, all of the games' data in in the top half of the card!
hu_ins.jpg

The PC engine also received a CD add-on later on, making it the first home console system ever able to play CD's. It was initially an attachment, but later revisions of the system combined both it and the main unit into one system.

But I thought Sega made the first CD game system?
Let Johnny Turbo set you straight:
johnnyturbo_297.jpg

Ok, ok, what are some games?
Hucard highlights-
Bomberman '94
Bonk
Blazing Lazers
Military Madness
Devil's Crush
Parasol Stars

CD Highlights-
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
Ys Book I and II
Gate of Thunder
The Legend of Xanadu

All official system models(there are many):
http://pcenginefx.com/main/nec_compatibility_guide.html

Some Screenshots:
stage1-3.gif

military-madness-usa.png

Parasol_Stars_03.gif

300x.jpg

CD_B2FB843E-009.png

ETC:

The PC-engine software Bible (Every game ever released for the system):
http://www.pcengine.co.uk/
Article on the troubles the TG16 had in the west:
https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/225466/stalled_engine_the_turbografx16_.php

The main Retro ERA topic:
RetroEra IOTI 40 years of Classic Backlog

Last edited:

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Out of all the systems I've owned, the TG-16 might be the least-memorable, at least in terms of game-specific memories... but I still loved that thing! The HuCARDs! The turbo switches on the pack-in controller! The TurboBooster add-on you had to buy to get anything better than RF (!!!) output!

The TurboExpress is still one of my favorite gaming hardware devices. I didn't keep it for long, but it seemed like a glimpse of the future: I could sit in the backseat of a car on a road trip and watch TV, play the same game that was on my home console, etc... I suppose that the Switch is that dream, fully realized.

OP
OP
Beartruck

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just waiting right now to go home so I can pop in my copy of Marchen maze that should be arriving today. Hopefully its good!

Besides that, finally started to dip my feet into JJ and Jeff. Its not really a good game but its so weird and funny I want to see what happens next.

Deleted member 1162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sorry i haven't posted yet: i've been busy playing with my recently aquired recapped Turbo Express.

but got all these games very recently, like a few weeks ago, right after getting the turbo express last month =)

U0FV808.jpg

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Wait, holding select and run resets?! Does this work on PCE Core?

I love my PCE, especially since I was able to get a controller extension. Weird that it uses the old apple printer cable.

OP
OP
Beartruck

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sorry i haven't posted yet: i've been busy playing with my recently aquired recapped Turbo Express.

but got all these games very recently, like a few weeks ago, right after getting the turbo express last month =)
Very nice haul! I'm still trying to find a few of these myself.

Wait, holding select and run resets?! Does this work on PCE Core?

I love my PCE, especially since I was able to get a controller extension. Weird that it uses the old apple printer cable.
I only have the base turbografx and the original white pc engine, but it seems to work fine for both. I haven't found a game it doesn't work with yet.

Alienator303

Nov 27, 2017
sorry guys, im not elite enough here to post new threads on resetera, so here goes my copy/paste from gaf.

Excited to finally present my latest work, a labor of love for the retro community. Done with the NeoSD guys, we present u:

THE SUPER SD SYSTEM 3

Super SD System 3 is a 3 in one device for Pcengine.

Its and ODE and a flashcart plus a AV Booster with RGB output using Mega Drive 2 video cables (both RGB and composite video cables are supported)

So where is the magic on this new device ?

It dosen´t requires ANY system card to play cdrom games and every game works.
It dosent matters if this a cdrom2 game a super cdrom2 game or an arcade cdrom2 game.

You just need the basic pcengine to play the entire pcengine catallog, and if you have a supergrafx you will be able to play the 6 released Super Grafx Games.

106.jpg

detailed review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyEJk0LmM8I

PCS 4 life.

buy here.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
Wow, Alienator303. That looks like a cool piece of tech. Thank you for sharing. Price is kinda steep, but considering the cost of CDROM2 Hardware + Interface Unit, a Turbo Everdrive, and an RGB mod, you're probably saving money.

OP
OP
Beartruck

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cool looking device, but for that price and exchange rate I could probably buy a duo-r instead and have the real thing.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
sorry guys, im not elite enough here to post new threads on resetera, so here goes my copy/paste from gaf.

Excited to finally present my latest work, a labor of love for the retro community. Done with the NeoSD guys, we present u:

THE SUPER SD SYSTEM 3

Super SD System 3 is a 3 in one device for Pcengine.

Its and ODE and a flashcart plus a AV Booster with RGB output using Mega Drive 2 video cables (both RGB and composite video cables are supported)

So where is the magic on this new device ?

It dosen´t requires ANY system card to play cdrom games and every game works.
It dosent matters if this a cdrom2 game a super cdrom2 game or an arcade cdrom2 game.

You just need the basic pcengine to play the entire pcengine catallog, and if you have a supergrafx you will be able to play the 6 released Super Grafx Games.

106.jpg

detailed review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyEJk0LmM8I

PCS 4 life.

buy here.
This is pretty amazing but I'm not sure if I'm at the point where I want to spend that much. Maybe after my tax return...

No Onions

Nov 8, 2017
I already have an rgb modded duo and a briefcase setup but that super sd thing does look pretty cool, I can see myself buying one eventually. I'm curious to see how the rgb output stacks up to some of the most recent rgb mods with the th7374. Hopefully somebody like Bob from retrorgb can get his hands on one of these and do some testing and comparison.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Cool looking device, but for that price and exchange rate I could probably buy a duo-r instead and have the real thing.

You'd still need to buy an everdrive for another 80 bucks and pay to have that Duo-R rgb modded, and you still wouldn't have an optical drive replacement. Plus you still need to have a core grafx, 1 or 2, or a SuperGrafx for this, so you'd still have the real thing.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
I already have an rgb modded duo and a briefcase setup but that super sd thing does look pretty cool, I can see myself buying one eventually. I'm curious to see how the rgb output stacks up to some of the most recent rgb mods with the th7374. Hopefully somebody like Bob from retrorgb can get his hands on one of these and do some testing and comparison.
This seems right up Bob's alley. I totally expect him to give this a thorough review. I would love to see the MLiG team take a detailed look at it too.

PCEngineGuy

Nov 1, 2017
My TurboDuo is still my favorite console of all time. Tons and tons and tons of incredible games (from Japan)!

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Given the high price most Pc-engine/Duo stuff has these days, and how unreliable hardware can be, the Super SD System 3 sounds like a good price for those of us that have not yet began a collection. I mean it is still expensive, given that you could simply emulate the stuff, but if you have not spent anything yet and have no plan on collecting, it's a better deal.

Are PC Engine consoles in need of recap like the Duos?

OP
OP
Beartruck

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given the high price most Pc-engine/Duo stuff has these days, and how unreliable hardware can be, the Super SD System 3 sounds like a good price for those of us that have not yet began a collection. I mean it is still expensive, given that you could simply emulate the stuff, but if you have not spent anything yet and have no plan on collecting, it's a better deal.

Are PC Engine consoles in need of recap like the Duos?
I haven't had to recap my white pc engine or my turbografx. Think Its unique to the original duo.

I just discovered that Bomberman '94 and Mega Bkmberman are the same game! The pc engine version is slightly more detailed and colorful though.

The FuzzPig

Oct 31, 2017
So I Randomly bought a PC engine at the weekend at a Retro games fair thing I went to.
I set it up today for the first time, and it works fine.
The only game I have at the moment is a bomberman one I bought to test if it works.
So can anyone recommend some games I should be looking out for.
Just HuCard games as I only have a basic PC engine, not any of the cd add ons.
Thanks all

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
So I Randomly bought a PC engine at the weekend at a Retro games fair thing I went to.
The only game I have at the moment is a bomberman one I bought to test if it works.
Thanks all

I'm not sure if the HU Card games are as expensive as the CD-ROM games, but if they are, it may be a better investment to go for an Everdrive. TG16/PC-Engine stuff is some of the more expensive stuff.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
PC Engine stuff is much more affordable than the TG16 counter parts. Though the Turbo Everdrive is the best value in the everdrive world.

OP
OP
Beartruck

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks all
Outside of recommending an everdrive, heres some of my favorites:

-Wonder boy:the dragons trap
-Parasol Stars
-Ninja spirit
-Bonk 1-3
-Blazing lazers
-Military madness
-Valkyrie no Densetsu

Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know a youtube video or a place i can preview images of all the games this system had, I'm looking for a game but I can't remember the title, or the genre, im hoping a screen shot might remind me.

Kaede

Dec 27, 2017
Hi there,

New PC Engine owner here, just got back from a trip to Japan and picked up the base unit and a couple of HuCard games; Gunhed and Super Star Solider (I love shoot 'em ups).

What I didn't know at the time I bought it is that I would have to get the booster AV unit in order to connect via composite(?) leads to my CRTV. Do you guys know roughly how much I should spend on one of these? Currently I can't tune it via the RF cable, as I can see the game when tuning my TV but the picture is all snowy and in black and white. (I'm in the UK if that matters).

Any shouts for cheaper, enjoyable PCE games would also be much appreciated. The conversions of Outrun and Space Harrier look cool so I might try and get those. Really excited to finally play one of these things having only seen them in games mags from the early 90s.

Cheers,

K

OP
OP
Beartruck

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi there,

New PC Engine owner here, just got back from a trip to Japan and picked up the base unit and a couple of HuCard games; Gunhed and Super Star Solider (I love shoot 'em ups).

What I didn't know at the time I bought it is that I would have to get the booster AV unit in order to connect via composite(?) leads to my CRTV. Do you guys know roughly how much I should spend on one of these? Currently I can't tune it via the RF cable, as I can see the game when tuning my TV but the picture is all snowy and in black and white. (I'm in the UK if that matters).

Any shouts for cheaper, enjoyable PCE games would also be much appreciated. The conversions of Outrun and Space Harrier look cool so I might try and get those. Really excited to finally play one of these things having only seen them in games mags from the early 90s.

Cheers,

K
Unfortunately, there is no one great, cheap way to get non-antenna signal from a base pc engine. Best solutions are to either swap it out for a coregrafx (which has av hookups) or get an av booster. I do not recommend getting some of the cheap Chinese av booster boards on ebay, as the way the pin layout on the av booster connects to the system, it is possible to fry the system as those pins go straight to the motherboard. Either option runs about $50 to $80.

As far as games, Gunhed/blazing lazers is a great start! Bonk/pc genjin are great platformers in the 20-30 range. Depending on your knowledge of Japanese, I would also recommend Nectaris (advance wars on a hex grid) or Neutopia (zelda clone).

As far as getting a picture, on ntsc tvs, I had to set the tv to I think channel 95/96 to get a picture instead of 3/4.

Last edited:

Kaede

Dec 27, 2017
Unfortunately, there is no one great, cheap way to get non-antenna signal from a base pc engine. Best solutions are to either swap it out for a coregrafx (which has av hookups) or get an av booster. I do not recommend getting some of the cheap Chinese av booster boards on ebay, as the way the pin layout on the av booster connects to the system, it is possible to fry the system as those pins go straight to the motherboard. Either option runs about $50 to $80.

As far as games, Gunhed/blazing lazers is a great start! Bonk/pc genjin are great platformers in the 20-30 range. Depending on your knowledge of Japanese, I would also recommend Nectaris (advance wars on a hex grid) or Neutopia (zelda clone).

As far as getting a picture, on ntsc tvs, I had to set the tv to I think channel 95/96 to get a picture instead of 3/4.

Hi Beartruck, thanks for the info!

I think the booster unit will be the way to go but I didn't realise about the knock off Chinese boards. I'll be sure to hunt down an official one. Thanks for the tip!

Also, I love Advance Wars and have N3 Japanese so I think I'll be hunting down a copy of Nectaris as well and muddling my way through!

Cheers,
K

OP
OP
Beartruck

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think the booster unit will be the way to go but I didn't realise about the knock off Chinese boards. I'll be sure to hunt down an official one. Thanks for the tip!

Also, I love Advance Wars and have N3 Japanese so I think I'll be hunting down a copy of Nectaris as well and muddling my way through!

Cheers,
K
Glad I could help. The most important tip for Nectaris is that in addition to the standard advance wars style gameplay, bundling up units boosts their defense, surounding enemy units boosts your offense, and units gain experience the more they fight (although the exp thing is pretty negligible compared to the other 2).

As far as the av boosters, technically even the officials one could short the motherboard, I think it's just probably more likely on cheap Chinese parts. The odds of it happening are probably low though.

Last edited:

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México

Cheers,
K

It's out of stock, and I do not know if there will be more units, but there is also dbGrafx Booster. It connects on the back like the Booster, but adds RGB Scart, S-Video and Composite.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
You can try stoneagegamer.com as they sell the dbGrafx Booster with a case around it as well. They may have some in stock.

Kaede

Dec 27, 2017

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
I'm buying a modded suitcase setup with the funds after selling some stuff. I've been wanting a PC Engine for some time. I'm very excited.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Was lucky to find a white PC Engine moded with RCA Composite trough the RF output with 3 games. It is very difficult to find this in my country. This was in the city where I live, for less than 85 usd shipped.

I picked the games from a list of common games the seller has. Most were sports games. I picked Popolous, since the Hu Card version was in English, F1 Circus 91 and Wining Shot.

Which games do you guys recommend in Hu Card format that can be played with little to no japanese language knowledge?

OP
OP
Beartruck

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was lucky to find a white PC Engine moded with RCA Composite trough the RF output with 3 games. It is very difficult to find this in my country. This was in the city where I live, for less than 85 usd shipped.

I picked the games from a list of common games the seller has. Most were sports games. I picked Popolous, since the Hu Card version was in English, F1 Circus 91 and Wining Shot.

Which games do you guys recommend in Hu Card format that can be played with little to no japanese language knowledge?
Air zonk in Japan is like 40 to the US versions 80-90, and it's a fun wacky shmup. Really any Japanese version of an amercan game that is cheaper.

Street fighter ii has a shockingly good port, but without a 6 button controller it kinda sucks.

Other games:
-Bomberman 94: best bomberman on the system.
-Valkyrie no densetsu (just use a faq for the 3-4 trivia question's I'm the game and you're good): Over head arcade style action game.
-Shibubinman 2: game is a little jank, but it's a decent Mega man knockoff.
-Son Son II: Ever wonder where Son Son from marvel vs capcom 2 came from? This is his game. Warning: you have only 1 life and have to buy extra lives. Game is fun but very punishing because of the lives restriction.

I would recommend Ninja spirit and Parasol Stars as they're my favorite hucard games, but for some reason the jpn versions are twice the price of the US versions.

Last edited:

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Air zonk in Japan is like 40 to the US versions 80-90, and it's a fun wacky shmup. Really any Japanese version of an amercan game that is cheaper.

Street fighter ii has a shockingly good port, but without a 6 button controller it kinda sucks.

Other games:
-Bomberman 94: best bomberman on the system.
-Valkyrie no densetsu (just use a faq for the 3-4 trivia question's I'm the game and you're good): Over head arcade style action game.
-Shibubinman 2: game is a little jank, but it's a decent Mega man knockoff.
-Son Son II: Ever wonder where Son Son from marvel vs capcom 2 came from? This is his game. Warning: you have only 1 life and have to buy extra lives. Game is fun but very punishing because of the lives restriction.

I would recommend Ninja spirit and Parasol Stars as they're my favorite hucard games, but for some reason the jpn versions are twice the price of the US versions.

Thank you! Those seem like good recommendations. Ninja Spirits is on I have always on my mind, since I remember way back when EGM gave it excellent review scores.

One additional question for the thread: is it common for Super CD Rom 2 systems to lack sound? Is it something that can be fixed? I was curious looking at ebay, and there are too many with that flaw, but not as expensive.

OP
OP
Beartruck

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you! Those seem like good recommendations. Ninja Spirits is on I have always on my mind, since I remember way back when EGM gave it excellent review scores.

One additional question for the thread: is it common for Super CD Rom 2 systems to lack sound? Is it something that can be fixed? I was curious looking at ebay, and there are too many with that flaw, but not as expensive.
It is means the capacitors in it have blown which is a very very common problem with the CD units. If you get a unit and it's never been recapped it is highly recommended you do so.

OP
OP
Beartruck

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As an addendum, if you want to play arcade card cd games, just get a duo or duo-r, as the arcade card for the duo is like $70, but the card for the original pc engine cd is like $150. If you don't care about arcade card games, just get whatever as a system card 3.0 plays 95% of the library and is much cheaper.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
My PC Engine just arrived today. I'm guessing the seller retro-brighted it, since it looks perfectly white, altough the controller is a bit yellowed. Can't wait to try this later tonight, too bad it is a long day out of the house for me.

The Hucard for Popolus is actually ticker, since it actually saves progress in the card. In the back it's labeled "ROMRAM HuCard". Had no idea that Hucards also had a space in the back for the owner to write their name. A co-worker noticed this before I did, and said to better label those games with my name, to prevent any confusion with all the others PC Engine owners at work haha

I'm still making my mind about the next purchase. A 6 button pad is a must, but can't decide if I should go for a Turbo Everdrive and The AV Engine block for RGB this year, or wait a year for the Super SD System, since it is quite expensive.

Fab

Oct 28, 2017
I had long ruled out adding a turbo express to my handheld collection due to cost, but when I happened upon a new in box console for the price of a used console, I couldn't say no. : D

I can't believe the condition this console is in, I'm too scared to take the console out of the bag just yet hehe.

I've never owned a turbografx/pcengine console before, so I can't wait to start exploring the library, recommendations would be very much welcome!

Oh, and I'm aware replacing the capacitors is going to be necessary sooner or later, but of course I'm reluctant to open up a console like this just yet.

Presuming if I don't see any display/sound issues when starting the console up, should I be safe to wait a little while before having to perform the necessary repairs?

Last edited:

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Man, that is awesome. The Turbo Express is normally is so uncommon and expensive that I always forget it exists.

I think you would be able to use a Turbo Everdrive to get the entire library. Does it have a port for a second controller? If it does, you would be able to play Street Fighter 2 Dash with a 6 button controller.

Fab

Oct 28, 2017
Man, that is awesome. The Turbo Express is normally is so uncommon and expensive that I always forget it exists.
Indeed, I couldn't believe my good fortune, and to find something like this sitting in the UK of all places was quite a surprise.

I think you would be able to use a Turbo Everdrive to get the entire library.
I have a Turbo Everdrive on order just for that reason, the region converter cards really don't look too practical for a handheld.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
You can get the entire hucard library, both english and jp but you won't be able to access any of the CD based games. Not that you could with the Turbo Express anyway. I would not wait to have it recapped, if I remember right, caps leaking is a common problem with the Turbo Express' and you want to get that taken care of before the leaking caps eat away at the motherboard causing much bigger problems. I could be remembering wrong but I believe much like the Turbo/PCE Duos it is recommend to recap a Turbo Express ASAP.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats on those of you getting to try the Turbografx for the first time. It's such an awesome system!

Some games I loved that might interest you...

Legendary Axe
Legendary Axe 2
Ordyne
Military Madness
Galaga '88
Psychosis
Bloody Wolf
Ninja Spirit
Devil's Crush
Vigilante

Now I want to look up prices on units. Wish I never sold mine.

Fab

Oct 28, 2017
Jesus Christ, this thing is freaking huge, got some girth on it!

I was glad to see no issues with screen brightness or sound, I'll go and get this capped asap, but I'm relived no issued came up after being in storage for so long.

Oh, and I gather image retention is just a result of the display technology of the time here, but is there any need to worry about it becoming permanent if I'm not careful?

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
This seems to be almost identical to the PC Engine Block AV (Turbo Booster with RGB and S-Video out, but it also outputs component) but sells for a fraction of the price. Any one has any experience with the cheaper version? Looks to good to be true, and I worry is one those devices that can harm my Scart/Component transcoder or TV.