• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ramune

Feb 3, 2018
Interested in checking out the PC Engine, and a recent email newsletter reminded me I was following PCE Works for a while. Anyone go that route as far as their PC Engine collection goes? Don't mind a nice curated collection as they seem to have.
https://pceworks.wordpress.com/
Also, might look into that Super SD System 3, especially since I'd be such a late comer.

Which console should I go for though? They're so many variants and then there's the American Turbo Grafx consoles as well. I want to say I'd get mostly PC-engine stuff with the occasional American release here and there, so what's the best route? Or should I get a Super Grafx and open myself to the 6 additional games?

OP
OP
Beartruck

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interested in checking out the PC Engine, and a recent email newsletter reminded me I was following PCE Works for a while. Anyone go that route as far as their PC Engine collection goes? Don't mind a nice curated collection as they seem to have.
Also, might look into that Super SD System 3, especially since I'd be such a late comer.

Which console should I go for though? They're so many variants and then there's the American Turbo Grafx consoles as well. I want to say I'd get mostly PC-engine stuff with the occasional American release here and there, so what's the best route? Or should I get a Super Grafx and open myself to the 6 additional games?
Do you want to play CD games? If so, go with a core system+super sd3 or a DUO-R/DUO-RX if you want to play the actual cds. The briefcase unit is older and is much more expensive to run arcade cd games on(it the version I own, but that's because it was a cheap repair). The cd games are region free and generally Japanese versions of games are cheaper than us releases (with some exceptions).

Supergrafx is more useful for collector e-peen measuring than actually playing anything. But hey, if you want to spend $300 on a system and $200 on a game to play the only home console port of 1941(until the ps2 arcade collection), knock yourself out.

Never dipped into PCEWORKS as it's too expensive for what I feel are basically nice bootlegs, but more power to you if you dig it.

staedtler

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had a TG16 in the 90s. I mean it had a few ok games but even back then I knew it was a lousy system.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I was just playing some Galaga '90 on mine. I need to get more games at some point. I've only seen stuff occasionally around here in shops.

M2kwLSf.jpg

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a OG white PC Engine getting delivered to me soon that I bought from eBay and I'm getting a Super SD System 3 to go with it. Pretty hyped about finally owning one of these things.

OP
OP
Beartruck

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yall making me really want to play pc engine tonight. Why not, I've got a path or two in rondo of blood I haven't beaten yet.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I tried to buy the Super SD System 3 a few weeks ago but my bank kept flagging it as potentially fraudulent. I guess I'll have to wait until Stone Age Gamer or somewhere else less weird has it for sale.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017

The thing with PCE Works besides them being expensive bootlegs, is that for fan done stuff, like english translations of some stuff, or porting Mega Man to the PC Engine, they're using that stuff without permission from the people who did it. They're taking fan done stuff that's out there for free, charging for it, and not giving anything back to the people who made it possible. This has actually caused a bunch of translation people to leave the PC Engine arena.

Ramune

Feb 3, 2018
Do you want to play CD games? If so, go with a core system+super sd3 or a DUO-R/DUO-RX if you want to play the actual cds. The briefcase unit is older and is much more expensive to run arcade cd games on(it the version I own, but that's because it was a cheap repair). The cd games are region free and generally Japanese versions of games are cheaper than us releases (with some exceptions).

Supergrafx is more useful for collector e-peen measuring than actually playing anything. But hey, if you want to spend $300 on a system and $200 on a game to play the only home console port of 1941(until the ps2 arcade collection), knock yourself out.

Never dipped into PCEWORKS as it's too expensive for what I feel are basically nice bootlegs, but more power to you if you dig it.

Yeah thinking of going with the Core System/Super SD3 combo for space reasons. If I truly love a game, I will seak out the original copy though. Supergrafx is that much? Damn, gonna have to pass. Especially if there's nothing of real merit to it. I take it it's pretty much like the 32X in a way?

The thing with PCE Works besides them being expensive bootlegs, is that for fan done stuff, like english translations of some stuff, or porting Mega Man to the PC Engine, they're using that stuff without permission from the people who did it. They're taking fan done stuff that's out there for free, charging for it, and not giving anything back to the people who made it possible. This has actually caused a bunch of translation people to leave the PC Engine arena.

That's pretty damning and not even giving credit?! Thanks, staying far away from these guys then! Even noticed tweets like these warning about their upcoming releases:

OP
OP
Beartruck

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah thinking of going with the Core System/Super SD3 combo for space reasons. If I truly love a game, I will seak out the original copy though. Supergrafx is that much? Damn, gonna have to pass. Especially if there's nothing of real merit to it. I take it it's pretty much like the 32X in a way?

That's pretty damning and not even giving credit?! Thanks, staying far away from these guys then! Even noticed tweets like these warning about their upcoming releases:

32x is a pretty apt comparison. It's like a 32x that somehow failed harder. It had 5 games released for it total. 5.

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I loved this console. I remember getting it for like 80$ when I was younger.
I actually enjoyed KC and the alpha zones. Bonks revenge and air zonk were my favorites though. I had a friend who had the turbo express. that thing was way ahead of it's time.
I would love to get my hands back on one. I miss the short controller cable. nostalgia is a nice drug.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah when they started doing their thing, they kind of flooded the market with copies of some high priced games that were exact copies. No mention of being a reproduction, or their logo or anything anywhere to separate them from the original release. I'm sure plenty of people out there have payed a high price for a sealed copy of Sapphire for it to just be one of their bootlegs. I think enough complaining from the community got them to add their logo to their bootlegs but they have plenty of other shitty practices.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I've been thinking about picking up a PCE copy of Dracula X Rondo of Blood and discovered the PCE Works phenomenon. The effect seems to be that Yahoo Auctions Japan is now flooded with the PCE works being sold as legitimate copies. One of the copies I found was being sold at 7000 yen, but provided the disclaimer that it was the PCE works version.

I'm not sure what to make of it. On one hand, I think repackaging old games as faithfully as this guy appears to be doing is pretty commendable. But it's without permission, has created confusion in the reselling market (fraud), and appears to be rife with other shady practices.

I personally don't care if it's an original print for the sake of it being an original print, but ... if it's not licensed ... I don't know what to think. The practice is arguably bad, while the end result (more copies of old games out there) is arguably "good." Then there's the matter of even if I purchase a legit copy, disc rot is apparently a thing with the PCE, and might not end up with a fully playable game?

Here's a Japanese blog post covering PCE works.

Part 2.

The blog poster supposedly reached out to him, and posted an edited version of their conversation with him. The gist of it is "I'm trying to combat out of control prices and increase the amount of old software available." "Wow, that's great. Your intentions, that is. But are you aware you're throwing the Japanese auction scene into utter confusion?" His response was that his stuff is printed with the logo, but as it turns out, rather than combat prices, his versions are being sold as new for hundreds of dollars. After all, the logo is on the inside, right?

Last edited:

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Drac X, I just got to the boss rush part and fuck me, it's hard. I have no idea how I'm going to get through all of this now lol

I'm having the same issue with Actraiser at the same time lol... even though I got through it as a kid without too much difficulty

OP
OP
Beartruck

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Drac X, I just got to the boss rush part and fuck me, it's hard. I have no idea how I'm going to get through all of this now lol

I'm having the same issue with Actraiser at the same time lol... even though I got through it as a kid without too much difficulty
You talking about shaft? Yeah, that parts a real bear. Even with easy mode Maria it took me a couple tries.

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
Didnt know we had a thread about this awesome machine. Cool! Mine needs a new psu, but then Im definitely playing some Blazing Lasers!

Ramune

Feb 3, 2018
Yeah, I had to REALLY search for this thread in the general retro game coverage thread, since it's practically buried among all the other threads.
Most of my PC Engine experience has actually been thanks to not only Emulation growing up, but the Wii Virtual Console. Think CD games even run in 240p, but card games don't and have a blurry filter on them? I remember doing the 240p activation code on my PVM and Rondo looks crisp (and much more accurate than the PSP's version...though that went the extra mile and has English voice acting). Still have plenty of Wii Shop points left, but what other notable PC Engine games never made it on the Virtual Console?

(Edit: Since this thread could use some more pictures....)

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Have fun, Rondo is a great game and more than likely it will work.
In my experience disc rot is an overstated problem, I have over a dozen PCE CD games and 20ish Sega CD games of similar vintage and they all still work fine.

It works fine! It was actually in really great condition.

I'm terrible at the game, but I'm having fun with it. I don't think I'm good enough at the game to use the key in the area with the fish and bats flying all over the place (I did once). Oh well, lol.

Edit: Oops, that wasn't the area with the key I was thinking of. Apparently jumping down below was not at all where you use the key. But I got to Maria and found that the voices were off by about 2 seconds. I'm playing the game installed, using Ootake. What would be the cause of the visuals lagging behind the audio?

Edit again: Tried the game with Mednafen (literally the rip created by Ootake), and it worked fine. It looks like the Ootake version was running slow. The emulator has a billion settings, so maybe there's a way to get it to run a little better, but I'll be playing the game on Mednafen for now. Too bad, because the game looks a little better with Ootake.

Last edited:

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
That's not a bad price, not a great one either, but a few things to consider. Japanese Hucard games are by and large cheaper than their US counterparts, and there's a lot more of them. If you also decide to go for CD games, the CD set up for a PC Engine/CoreGrafx is cheaper than the CD set up for the TG16. If your plan is to get one of the SSDS3s or what ever their acronym is, then its kind of moot, and you just need to loosen one of the screws on its case so that it will fit on the TG16.

Ramune

Feb 3, 2018
It's a better price than the $700 someone was asking for a Turbo Duo at Retro World Expo earlier this month for just the console alone (and no mods or anything, I was like "Whaaaa?!?! Good Luck on that one!")

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
700 is high for a Turbo Duo, but the Turbo Duo's also go for more than PC Engine Duo. It's not uncommon for just systems to sell for like 400 for the Turbo Duo. I also a lady at Retro World Expo trying to sell an AV Famicom, Ram Adapter, FDS, and a couple of games for 800 bucks. Vendors at a lot of these cons have gotten out of their fucking minds.

Velinos

Oct 27, 2017
I have been considering picking up a Turbografx system for a long time. Turbografx is one of the last consoles that I have yet to get into collecting, but never did for whatever reason.

I remember looking into region modded and recapped systems back in 2005 for $250-300. Now I see that fully refurbished duo-r systems with region mod and RGB go for around $400 on ebay. That would get me essentially the entire US and JP library on either a $100 everdrive for hucards or a burnt disc for CD games. I remember hearing that duo-r were the systems to get, is that still the case? As an alternative I see that there is now the Super SD System 3, but that is $300 + a TG16 or PC Engine which look to be roughly a little over $100. It also does RGB, but I would lose the option to play actual CD games and either US or JP hucards.

Which option should I go with or is there a third option? Playing games on original hardware is most important to me. Having actual games is less so, especially if prices stay where they are. But I do like having the option especially if I can pick up some for a reasonable price.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Get a CoreGrafx or an OG white PCE and a SSDS3. Its AV quality issues are somewhat overblown and can even be mitigated/fixed with mods. My unmodded SSDS3 looks and sounds fine hooked up to my PVM. I'd recommend buying the SSDS3 from Stone Age Gamer since you'll actually get a warranty and customer support there.

Velinos

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the replies. My only reservation about going the PCE + SSDS3 route is that I would not be able to play physical games outside of JP Hucards. I don't plan to go crazy with a collection unless prices plummet, but I was planning on trying to track down the Ys games, maybe Working Designs games, and some classic US Hucards like Blazing Lazers, Rtype, Bonk, etc. Do those with an SSDS3 just keep a separate system to play physical media?

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alternatively, you could get a recapped/refurbished/modded Duo-R which will dash any hope you may have of playing rare CD games without burning them and, in the case of Sapphire, also needing an Arcade card.

Or you could shell out the money for a Super CD add-on for the Core Grafx/OG White stand-alone and get that modded for RGB SCART. And then you could just slap on the SSDS3 as needed.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
You can always do what I mostly do with my CD replacements: buy CD games, make images, and use those images on your console instead of fragile discs.

The fact that this thread has so few replies pains me deeply. Easily one of my favorite systems in combo with the CD, and I only just got the system less than two years ago.
There's just something amazing about this console, and the arcade ports tend to be some of the best, or at least, most fun of all the 16-bit consoles. This system needs more love.

I'm rocking the RGB modded IFU briefcase, though I'm waiting patiently for the promised RGB amp from Voultar.
CD system is in excellent condition, and I have a broken backup unit, in case an ODE ever gets released for it. The GDEMU creator was supposedly working on a replacement, but it's been months since I've heard anything about it.

I'm not entirely sold on the SSD3, especially for that price. And the technical issues, regardless of how small, would be something that would annoy me - and modding would take more time and money.
I only need something that can play CD games, as the TurboEverdrive does the just quite nicely.

Does the SSD3 also run SuperGrafx and Arcade card games?

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
The fact that this thread has so few replies pains me deeply. Easily one of my favorite systems in combo with the CD, and I only just got the system less than two years ago.
There's just something amazing about this console, and the arcade ports tend to be some of the best, or at least, most fun of all the 16-bit consoles. This system needs more love.

I'm rocking the RGB modded IFU briefcase, though I'm waiting patiently for the promised RGB amp from Voultar.
CD system is in excellent condition, and I have a broken backup unit, in case an ODE ever gets released for it. The GDEMU creator was supposedly working on a replacement, but it's been months since I've heard anything about it.

I'm not entirely sold on the SSD3, especially for that price. And the technical issues, regardless of how small, would be something that would annoy me - and modding would take more time and money.
I only need something that can play CD games, as the TurboEverdrive does the just quite nicely.

It can play SuperGrafx games when connected to a SuperGrafx, it should be able to run Arcade cards games.

I purchased a few months ago a PC Engine that was moded for composite, but have paralysis of choice. SSD3 looks great, but as you have said, expensive with a few issues. Getting a Turbo Everdrive is cheap, and there is an RGB adapter that connects on the back of the console, but it prevents the usage of CD. And the 6 button controllers are kind of expensive at this point.

Hm. Yeah, I think I'll wait a bit for an ODE replacement or just a CD-only attachment someday in the future then. Fingers crossed.
I have the 3-button controller, but I don't think I'll pick up a 6-button, as I don't plan on playing fighting games. But, the sheer aesthetic design is still making a compelling case. I'm mostly looking for a good controller with a less rigid d-pad.

Has anyone heard an update on the Genesis (9-pin DIN) adapter for the system? I've only heard they're coming out with one, but I'm not sure from whom or when. Also, not sure how they'll map the Select button - I'm guessing it will be on the far left button, similar to the 3-button pad.

Last, are there any underrated CD games that aren't close to $100 yet? Any genre will suffice and I think I have a good chunk of them, but who knows.
If nothing else, it can help others searching for quality, affordable CD titles.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

SSDS3 will run SuperGrafx games only when attached to a SuperGrafx console. Not when attached to a regular PC Engine or TG16.

SSDS3 will run Arcade Card games without the Arcade Card on all PC Engine/TG16 Consoles.

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
Agree there is not enough replies in a thread for this awesome console. Bloody Wolf is a cool game!

Does anyone know the best save backup units for the PC Engine?
Everything I can find, besides internal saves, is battery backed and will lose all saves when the batteries die.

OR! Does anyone know a good place to get a Ten no Koe card battery replaced?

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok guys. I want to get a pc engine now. So which setup w/ the SSD3 is the cheapest to run CD's and hucard games?
it most definitely is the SSDS3 with either a Core Grafx or original white PC Engine. Whichever one you prefer the look of and/or is cheaper. Make sure to go to Mobius Strip Technologies to get the video and audio quality improvement mods done to the SSDS3 though.

https://mobiusstriptechnologies.com/shop/

You will probably want to get a SCART cable for it and either hook that up to a RGB CRT, or to a OSSC, or a Framemeister.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know the best save backup units for the PC Engine?
Everything I can find, besides internal saves, is battery backed and will lose all saves when the batteries die.

OR! Does anyone know a good place to get a Ten no Koe card battery replaced?

I don't know anyone who replaces the batteries as a service, but I did it myself on my TenNoKoe bank card. The hardest part was finding the right size battery. There's a website a lot of places quote that lists a battery size that is actually too thick, I forget off the top of my head the correct size but its pretty thin. I had an even harder time finding one with solder tabs on it, let a lone one with the solder tabs in the right spot. So I had to kind of jimmy rig a way for it to connect to the pads. I never did get double sided tape either to get the top to stick back on it.

I don't know anyone who replaces the batteries as a service, but I did it myself on my TenNoKoe bank card. The hardest part was finding the right size battery. There's a website a lot of places quote that lists a battery size that is actually too thick, I forget off the top of my head the correct size but its pretty thin. I had an even harder time finding one with solder tabs on it, let a lone one with the solder tabs in the right spot. So I had to kind of jimmy rig a way for it to connect to the pads. I never did get double sided tape either to get the top to stick back on it.

If I just raise the cover to the battery compartment with double sided tape, I wonder if I can get a normal CR2032 to fit in.
The art on the card is pretty great, so I'd ideally like to keep it on!

So, if I'm understanding the PC Engine save situation correctly, there's no non-volatile save option for the systems?

So I need to find an old CRT w/ RGB for cheap too. Where can I get the cheapest core graphx or pc engine? does it matter which one?

Unless you absolutely need an old CRT, the OSSC is probably a more future-proof and space efficient solution. Granted, nothing still beats playing on a CRT for retro games, but we're getting closer every year.

Doesn't matter which console you get - the original white console only carries RF out, though, while the two CoreGrafx variations at least have composite AV output. It won't matter much if you just use the SSD3, though.

Hope you become a proud PC Engine owner soon!