• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

carlosrso

Oct 27, 2017
Ipatinga, Brazil
Is there a reason people here think it's Turkeys right to stop refugees from going to Europe?

How is it fair Turkey has the full burden of 3.5 million refugees? That's a ridiculous number.

Why is it so insane for richer European nations to help?

And is it Turkey's fault that Europe has a rising racism and facism problem in their culture.

I agree with that. Erdogan is awful but 3.5 million refugees is really a heavy burden for only a country to take care of.
And in my opinion the main reasons for Turkey not being accepted in the EU were racial and religious.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
BBC News - Syria war: 22 Turkish troops killed in airstrike in Idlib
www.bbc.co.uk

Syria war: Alarm after 33 Turkish soldiers killed in attack in Idlib

Turkey hits Syrian government targets in response and the EU warns of a major conflict developing.

BBC is saying this isn't confirmed, only someone from the administration mentioned it.

EDIT :
Reuters news agency quoted a senior Turkish official on Thursday as saying that Turkey had decided to stand down its border guards and no longer prevent Syrian refugees from trying to reach Europe. However, this has not been officially confirmed.

Oct 25, 2017
Did the rest of Europe stop paying them to hold refugees there? Maybe they should start attempting to accept and resettle them in Europe instead of essentially imprisoning them in Turkey.
No chance, countries are still arguing about the last wave of refugees. It was basically only a handful of countries that did something, the rest were either forced to or didn't want anything to do with it.

Since then the political situation in Europe has gotten worse and they have ramped up border forces and things like that. It's going to be ugly.

Well the majority of them will probably march across Europe and head for the UK....
Do you think many of them ended up in the UK last time? Did the tabloids do their job?

4NcbRyA.jpg

(Notice the upper right pie-chart, too)

Last edited:

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No chance, countries are still arguing about the last wave of refugees. It was basically only a handful of countries that did something, the rest were either forced to or didn't want anything to do with it.

Since then the political situation in Europe has gotten worse and they have ramped up border forces and things like that. It's going to be ugly.

Do you think many of them ended up in the UK last time? Did the tabloids do their job?
Not disagreeing with that really, just saying that morally they should take some of these refugees. Morally the US should take some in as well.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Funny that some of you think things in Turkey are all well and good just because of monetary compensation.

Infrastructures in cities are by and large unable to sustain the influx of so many refugees in so little time, and civil unrest (due to racism and other prejudice) has been escalating for years, for many reasons like people feeling resentment over not receiving governmental help they need while the refugees do, or schools having to welcome so many new refugee students at once that proper education becomes practically impossible. Any country would have trouble welcoming so many people who don't speak the local language and who need an incredible amount of monetary/otherwise help.

This is part of the reason why Erdogan lost Istanbul last year.

Turkey has already been suffering the consequences of bearing the brunt of so many refugees as a developing country with an economy in almost-perpetual crisis. All the pearl-clutching about what'll happen to EU countries is pretty humorous to see when none of you gave much of a shit about all of it happening in Turkey.

Erdoğan wasn't housing these people out of kindness or humanitarianism, true, but Turkey itself as a society has been panting under this logistical, economical and social burden for ages, and Europe only enabled it by using its own good ol' xenophobia to buy some time.

Europe made is bed and will lie in it.

I am not happy about this, myself. But it is what it is.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I won't discuss too much only going to say some facts.
Turkey is a Nato member. Article 5.
Before Isis or any group came to the media NATO should have protected those people
I guess USA, Iran and Russian soldiers are there to bring peace?

Anyway MNZ I think you will outsmart me so I will say you're right. I hope this helps you, but PLEASE accept my thoughts too.

Article 5 is a defensive pact, and even if by whatever logic I can't follow that leads you to say it applies here -- it has to be invoked by Turkey, it isn't automatic

That said, I think Turkey has an obligation to accept refugees if they are the first destination but it isn't their problem if they move on from there. The next country can enforce their own borders and turn people away. Given how many times Turkey has threatened to do this, those countries should be prepared to do so

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Funny that some of you think things in Turkey are all well and good just because of monetary compensation.

Infrastructures in cities are by and large unable to sustain the influx of so many refugees in so little time, and civil unrest (due to racism and other prejudice) has been escalating for years, for many reasons like people feeling resentment over not receiving governmental help they need while the refugees do, or schools having to welcome so many new refugee students at once that proper education becomes practically impossible. Any country would have trouble welcoming so many people who don't speak the local language and who need an incredible amount of monetary/otherwise help.

Turkey has already been suffering the consequences of bearing the brunt of so many refugees as a developing country with an economy in almost-perpetual crisis. All the pearl-clutching about what'll happen to EU countries is pretty humorous to see when none of you gave much of a shit about all of it happening in Turkey.

Erdoğan wasn't housing these people out of kindness or humanitarianism, true, but Turkey itself as a society has been panting under this logistical, economical and social burden for ages, and Europe only enabled it by using its own good ol' xenophobia to buy some time.

I don't think anyone is confused about that, honestly. Europe was essentially paying Erdogan to be their jailer. It was never sustainable for Turkey, especially given the political situation there. The rest of Europe should've never done this in the first place.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
idk if anyone here can confirm this, but I'm hearing that Internet has been cut off in Turkey. Is this true?

Oct 25, 2017
Today there's also been this:
www.ekathimerini.com

EU imposes sanctions on Turkish energy officials | eKathimerini.com

The European Union has imposed sanctions on two high-ranking officials from the Turkish Petroleum Corporation (TPAO) in connection with Turkey's illegal drilling activities in Cyprus’ exclusive economic zone, it emerged on Thursday.

EU and Turkey are arguing over a drilling dispute, this has been going on for a long time.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think anyone is confused about that, honestly. Europe was essentially paying Erdogan to be their jailer. It was never sustainable for Turkey, especially given the political situation there. The rest of Europe should've never done this in the first place.
The amount of patronizing "Gosh, couldn't Turks just keep housing 3.5 million people essentially strangers to them while the country's just about broke and already sufficiently inflamed by populism" takes in this thread would disagree.

You can't always solve a geopolitical problem by throwing money at a poorer country, as I suppose Europeans are about to learn the hard way.

And I'll add that I don't want to speak of refugees as a geopolitical problem first and foremost, but they won't be treated properly unless that problem is somehow resolved...

That is understandable. But for a start, maybe get the fuck out of Syria and stop making the whole situation worse.
This problem existed, and was inflamed, before Turkey invaded the Kurds in Syria. The common people in Turkey who didn't make that decision have been suffering from the refugee situation for years.

P. S. Pretty funny to see 'They attacked NATO ALLIES!' be a talking point when US chose to ally with Kurdish forces in a region where Kurdish forces were, and would be, fighting Turkey in the first place.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017

Agree with you on pretty much everything, the deal was an absolute failing of the EU and shameful. Least of all since it gave Erdogan leverage while he was jailing not just dissidents but also journalists, some of them EU citizens.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Multiple internet providers have blocked social media websites yeah

They are probably gonna start a full on invasion after they lost 25 turkish soldiers today. One of their observation posts in syria is encircled by assad and russian forces.

Also their terrorist militias aren't really able to beat Assads farmers gang by the look of it.

They also had losses on their adventures in libya today.

Erdogan thought he could play superpower but is now losing on all fronts.

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
The EU should be working to intercept absorb and integrate as many as possible through the proper pipeline. There needs to be a plan to welcome refugees safely and give them resources.

Bring them all if they want to come. However, the EU will needs to get other member states to take on more. Last refugee crisis Germany took on over a million. How many did the other EU states take on? Poland, Hungary etc also need to take in far more refugees. They are EU member states and should be told that they have to take in refugees. Germany has been amazing, but it's not fair that Germany takes in so many when other member states take in so few.

This is why I want the USE to happen quickly. No more fucking toxic, right-wing, outdated nationalism. No more Spain, England, Poland, France, Germany, Scotland etc etc. All just one federal state where we can all, regardless of background, be USE citizens.

Deleted member 30681

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
They are probably gonna start a full on invasion after they lost 25 turkish soldiers today. One of their observation posts in syria is encircled by assad and russian forces.

Also their terrorist militias aren't really able to beat Assad's farmers gang by the look of it.

They also had losses on their adventures in libya today.

Erdogan thought he could play superpower but is now losing on all fronts.
That is scary as fuck.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there a reason people here think it's Turkeys right to stop refugees from going to Europe?

How is it fair Turkey has the full burden of 3.5 million refugees? That's a ridiculous number.

And is it Turkey's fault that Europe has a rising racism and facism problem in their culture.
I am with you, Turkey is poorer than most countries in Europe and is currently having more refugees than any country in the world.

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I want the USE to happen quickly. No more fucking toxic, right-wing, outdated nationalism. No more Spain, England, Poland, France, Germany, Scotland etc etc. All just one federal state where we can all, regardless of background, be USE citizens.
It's not like it's just the governments. Look at some polls about refugees in Eastern Europe, they don't want them.

Deleted member 30681

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
They have been building up forces on the border for weeks and this probably gives them the casus belli
you think they'd just invade the areas for the opposition or would it be a ground invasion to overthrow the Syrian government? I followed Syria for a while, over the years but I've been out of the loop recently.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Also let me tell you if turkey stops the refugee deal the EU will probably kick them out of the customs union soon and sanction them hard for the shenanigans they're trying to pull with Greece and Cyprus.

France and germany have been looking away from turkey turning into a dictatorship due to this deal and if that isn't working anymore turkey will be dropped.

you think they'd just invade the areas for the opposition or would it be a ground invasion to overthrow the Syrian government? I followed Syria for a while, over the years but I've been out of the loop recently.
Who knows with erdogan these days. I would have said they'll invade the buffer zone and annex it but after getting embarrassed by the russians and Assad maybe he will try more (doubt it because putin won't allow it) but who knows these days.

OP
OP
poklane

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I don't think they could do the latter. Russia has already helped the Syrian government kill dozens of Turkish soldiers (might even have done it themselves, kinda hard to know who dropped the bombs) just because Turkey is helping rebels slow the Syrian army's advance down, now imagine how Russia would react if Turkey went on the offensive.

Oct 28, 2017
Lovely so many white people from rich countries here concerned about punishing Turkey, a country with 3.5 million refugees, and how it will affect their rich countries, if god forbid these refugees come to their country. GASP!

Rather, than you know, showing any concern or even pretending to want to help these poor refugees. Not at all racist.

Lovely place resetera is.

I don't see anyone arguing against accepting refugees, only saying that another huge refugee influx would further mobilize the far right, which unfortunately isn't wrong. We've already had AfD, Front National, Lega Nord etc surging with anti-refugee rhetoric.

Some European countries are doing their part. There are more than 700.000 Syrian refugees living in Germany alone at this point. But any attempt by the EU to distribute refugees equally is blocked by a few countries.

Meanwhile the US stoke wars all over the Middle East and hardly accept any refugees in comparison

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
I hope that Turkey and Assad can cool off their heads as fast as possible.
On the other hand, I hope that the EU sees how bad their deal was. They ask way too much for the pennies they give to Turkey.
I wish the best for the civilians and refugees.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Turkey went in to prevent an influx of more refugees. Turkey not doing anything would've made things substantially worse.
Turkey went in to create a buffer zone to keep the Kurds in check. The war would've been over if turkey hadn't intervened with their terrorist militias.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see anyone arguing against accepting refugees, only saying that another huge refugee influx would further mobilize the far right, which unfortunately isn't wrong. We've already had AfD, Front National, Lega Nord etc surging with anti-refugee rhetoric.

Some European countries are doing their part. There are more than 700.000 Syrian refugees living in Germany alone at this point. But any attempt by the EU to distribute refugees equally is blocked by a few countries.

Meanwhile the US stoke wars all over the Middle East and hardly accept any refugees in comparison
US should be taking hundreds of thousands of these refugees, no question.

Deleted member 30681

Banned
Nov 4, 2017

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Turkey already got more than 2.2 billion € from the EU for the exact purpose to house immigrants.

The "richer countries" already chipped in, you nationalistic clown.

Last edited: