• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Keyframe

Oct 29, 2017
This works great for me because I am sending money to Turkey every month for my parents care.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Turkey has shown with this dictator that they need to be suspended from NATO. Shutter the bases and embassy, remove all allied personnel, remove all funding and ay, and remove all weapons. Then instead of sanctions, simply close trade completely. If they choose to return to a functional democracy in the future, restore relations, but nothing more than trade and an embassy. The US has too many military bases anyway, let the EU participate if they wish.
As far as Turkey has fallen, they're strategically important. And suspending them from NATO opens them up for Russia to swoop in.

Suspending a NATO member is not something that should be taken that lightly.

Last edited:

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Turkey has shown with this dictator that they need to be suspended from NATO. Shutter the bases and embassy, remove all allied personnel, remove all funding and ay, and remove all weapons. Then instead of sanctions, simply close trade completely. If they choose to return to a functional democracy in the future, restore relations, but nothing more than trade and an embassy. The US has too many military bases anyway, let the EU participate if they wish.
NATO membership is a strategic military alliance, not a federal relationship like the EU. There is no chance of any of that happening, specifically because of the weapons present there- they're not going to be "removed" if NATO stuff is withdrawn, they'll end up remaining in Turkey.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
NATO membership is a strategic military alliance, not a federal relationship like the EU. There is no chance of any of that happening, specifically because of the weapons present there- they're not going to be "removed" if NATO stuff is withdrawn, they'll end up remaining in Turkey.

Makes sense, though what do you think would happen if Turkey becomes a failed state? It seems iffy that Germany primarily would support yet another bailout, particularly if the dictatorship wants to maintain the iron fist.

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
As far as Turkey has fallen, they're strategically important. And suspending them from NATO opens them up for Russia to swoop in.

Suspending a NATO member is not something that should be taken that lightly.
Exactly. I'm no conspiracy theorist, but at this point the first question I always ask myself is "What do Russia/Putin want?"

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
Cease trade with Turkey? People praising the PKK? What the fuck are you guys smoking?

Hahaha. On Turkey's treatment of the Kurdish people :

" Of 40,386 formally charged, the death penalty was sought for 900. Of 70,000 current political detainees, more than 20,000 are reportedly Kurdish, and 90 percent of these are reputed to have been peaceful protestors for Kurdish cultural rights. To date, arrests in Kurdish provinces have totalled 81,634. Of these, 378 have allegedly been tortured to death, and 374 have been killed in night-time attacks."

Yeah, especially considering the invaluable help by Kurdish fighters in pushing back ISIS, including female frontline commandos, I'd support PKK independent led Kurdish independence from Turkey's insane government.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Holynshit, so he's making his most loyal followers poor. Man that's a dangerous game. What happens when his supporters are unable to feed their families and had given away their savings?
It's okay, they have their Allah and it's the West's fault anyway. They see the big picture and they'll disrupt this game so there's nothing to worry about.

Edit: If there will ever be an independent Kurdistan it won't be thanks to the PKK.

They bomb civilians.

Apr 1, 2018
Hahaha. On Turkey's treatment of the Kurdish people :

" Of 40,386 formally charged, the death penalty was sought for 900. Of 70,000 current political detainees, more than 20,000 are reportedly Kurdish, and 90 percent of these are reputed to have been peaceful protestors for Kurdish cultural rights. To date, arrests in Kurdish provinces have totalled 81,634. Of these, 378 have allegedly been tortured to death, and 374 have been killed in night-time attacks."

Yeah, especially considering the invaluable help by Kurdish fighters in pushing back ISIS, including female frontline commandos, I'd support PKK independent led Kurdish independence from Turkey's insane government.
Using ISIS to make them open a second front and distract them is pretty devious, perhaps also a little too convenient.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
Have any of you tonedeaf idiots stopped to think that in the receiving end of a PKK bomb there could easily be college students conscripted for their compulsory military service who they may be very much against their own government, but like, that doesn't really matter because a bomb is a bomb?

Just, please, if you have no fucking real world experience with an issue affecting so many people so closely maybe give it some thinking before you outright express your support for a terrorist group, no matter how much the government may fucking suck.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Have any of you tonedeaf idiots stopped to think that in the receiving end of a PKK bomb there could easily be college students conscripted for their compulsory military service who they may be very much against their own government, but like, that doesn't really matter because a bomb is a bomb?

Just, please, if you have no fucking real world experience with an issue affecting so many people so closely maybe give it some thinking before you outright express your support for a terrorist group, no matter how much the government may fucking suck.
A PKK bomb killed a baby just last week.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol he WISHES he could be a dictator.
he is a dictator though. the executive is full of yay sayers. congress wont stop him. supreme court will be soon completely right wing. the us system has been shifting to presidential omnipotence for years and the checks and balances depend on a lot of conventions which trump ignores completely

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Holynshit, so he's making his most loyal followers poor. Man that's a dangerous game. What happens when his supporters are unable to feed their families and had given away their savings?
He send his most loyal followers to the streets full of millitary armed soldiers while he was sitting on a plane and talking to his citizens via Skype. Many of them died.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
he is a dictator though. the executive is full of yay sayers. congress wont stop him. supreme court will be soon completely right wing. the us system has been shifting to presidential omnipotence for years and the checks and balances depend on a lot of conventions which trump ignores completely
He isn't. Erdogan can appoint and dismiss justices and cabinet members at will and rule by decree.

The US president is far too powerful but Trump isn't a dictator.

Would love to see him go after term
limits though. I'm sure that would be popular.

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Delayed post, pls delete

I want to visit Turkey in October. Looks like my vacation is gonna be cheaper than expected.
My friend has a villa in Silivri (pretty close to Istanbul) . Lovely place which we visited in 2015, but nobody's been there since after what's been happening with Erdoğan and Turkey pretty much turning into a shit hole.

I kinda wish things would turn out OK, but I'm not exactly holding my breath.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Wait, so a military target is not legitimate in a war? By this logic we should have stopped and thought about the young Nazi soldier going to college conscripted to fight for Hitler instead of attacking them. I know the PKK also targets civilians and is a terrorist organizatiob but military is a legit target.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, so a military target is not legitimate in a war? By this logic we should have stopped and thought about the young Nazi soldier going to college conscripted to fight for Hitler instead of attacking them. I know the PKK also targets civilians and is a terrorist organizatiob but military is a legit target.
Holy fucking shit...

I had bothered writing a post highlighting the differences, but you know what, I give up. The lack of humanity some can show from the comfort of their homes on the Internet is a given, but glorification of domestic terrorism against people like you or me not participating in any war? I'm done. I give up.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Have things calmed down some over there since yesterday or is today worse than yesterday?

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
edit: nvm, I don't want to contribute to the thread derailment.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I simply saying that it's impossible to expect everyone to care- /be fully informed about an event happening on the other side of the world, especially so if they're not belonging to the target demographic.
Just putting it out there that if someone actually wants to learn what's going on, I'm more than willing to give an explanation.

Folks should just be able to accept they don't know something and ask questions to learn. It's a concession that every non-American on this forum is able to make in threads on American politics and society.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Like Bill Clinton said, it's the economy stupid... unless it's a pure dictatorship like Saddam or Kim Jung *, any quasi dictator will slowly come down once economy starts to get hit and people start to care more about their day to day life than their dear leader.

Wicdor

Feb 27, 2018
Its going to be a slaughter tomorrow. Without the official opening is already going insane.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
One dollar worth of Lira next month:

92284318bbc5e6e1d84dd97667507315--worthless-kids-playing.jpg

Raein

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Turkish people don't deserve having their country run into the ground by this imbecile, but if anything good comes out of this crisis I hope it's a regime change.