• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
Luckily, my family left that part of Syria a couple of years ago. They're now safe here in The Netherlands and Germany. My mother birthplace which is also where she and her family lived has been bombed pretty hard. I used to visit my family there, but that's a thing from the past I guess. :(

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Luckily, my family left that part of Syria a couple of years ago. They're now safe here in The Netherlands and Germany. My mother birthplace which is also where she and her family lived has been bombed pretty hard. I used to visit my family there, but that's a thing from the past I guess. :(

Fuck... I hope Syria can stabilize soon enough

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Turkish backed forces just announced the start of their assault towards Manbij, which is reportedly under Syrian government protection right now

No info yet on Russia's stance.

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely think that Obama, Hillary or really any American president would have eventually left north Syria and would have left the Kurds to fend for themselves with the Syrian government and with Turkey (BTW, the US still haven't done it this time, there are still US tripwire forces there, but I'm making a bold prediction here). It will also be done mostly without an agreement because the US refuses to talk with the Syrian government.
Also, there is no reason to believe that any American president wouldn't let Turkey get away with pretty much whatever they want when it comes to the Kurds. No one so far seem to give a shit.

I think this was a poorly thought out mission with no exit plan, and it was always gonna end up poorly, especially for the Kurds. I think it's better to maybe stop using the Kurds as cheap infantry for wars you can't get congress to vote for, rather than imagining that the people who brought you Libya would have somehow find a way to unfuck this shitshow.
I find that unlikely. As you can see this is pretty much a won't benefit Trump political almost everyone has condemned this action, so at least some do care enough.

There is no exit plan, so Obama was going to keep US forces in Syria for awhile and Hilary expressed desire to stay in Syria as well so I don't get the idea that Obama was going up and leave like Trump did.

Every action Obama did showed the US intentions of staying in Syria for a long time. From building bases, having US forces stationed there, and supplying the Kurds with plenty of weapons.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Replace "US" with Republicans here, it's not a coincidence every time they get elected the Kurds get betrayed.
That's really not true.
Betraying the Kurds is a bipartisan project. LBJ, Clinton, Obama, they all fucked them pretty actively, and no American president really did anything to stop Turkey from fucking with them, not even small symbolic gestures.
America, both Democrats and Republicans, use the Kurds as cheap infantry to fight for American interests, and then when America is done with the conflict they leave them behind to fend for themselves.
This deployment started under Obama, and I think imagining that it could have ended well for the Kurds if only you had A Good Person in The White House is why you keep getting bipartisan support for those military adventures, which time after time end up fucking the Kurds.
I think it's time the US stopped doing that.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I find that unlikely. As you can see this is pretty much a won't benefit Trump political almost everyone has condemned this action, so at least some do care enough.

There is no exit plan, so Obama was going to keep US forces in Syria for awhile and Hilary expressed desire to stay in Syria as well so I don't get the idea that Obama was going up and leave like Trump did.

Every action Obama did showed the US intentions of staying in Syria for a long time. From building bases, having US forces stationed there, and supplying the Kurds with plenty of weapons.
So another forever war?
Here the thing about forever wars, at some point American soldiers will start dying, and at some point people will start wondering why the fuck do we have military bases in the middle of a civil war we have no plan for, and why do we send our kids halfway around the world to die for a mission we don't understand.
And then the US will withdraw, and then the Kurds will be fucked, like they always do.

I think it's quite likely that a Clinton presidency would have stayed in Syria longer, I fully suspect that the withdrawal would have been at least attempted to be done in a more orderly way, but I see no scenario where the Kurds were not left behind to fend for themselves.

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do a deal with the devil and survive or get ethnically cleansed.

They already did a deal with a devil and it betray them, they had to go to deal with the next devil or be eradicated by another devil.

The Kurds always knew something like this would happen, the probably never expected it to be this sudden and messy.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
They already did a deal with a devil and it betray them, they had to go to deal with the next devil or be eradicated by another devil.
I criticize american politics (especially in ME) a lot but saying americans are the devil in this story is pure revisionist nonsense. Rojava would have never existed without american protection.

Deleted member 8583

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I criticize american politics (especially in ME) a lot but saying americans are the devil in this story is pure revisionist nonsense. Rojava would have never existed without american protection.

Rojava existed long before the USA alliance. It was when the USA backed rebels showed to be unreliable and the Kurds showed to be a ground force that could halt ISIS that things changed. Besides, ISIS is an American creation.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Rojava existed long before the USA alliance. It was when the USA backed rebels showed to be unreliable and the Kurds showed to be a ground force that could halt ISIS that things changed. Besides, ISIS is an American creation.

Not sure about that. The Kurds without US Air support were not holding against ISIS.

Assad is the biggest culprit in all this mess. His killed more people than anyone and the idea that the Kurds work with him doesn't sit right with me.

Deleted member 8583

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure about that. The Kurds without US Air support were not holding against ISIS.

Assad is the biggest culprit in all this mess. His killed more people than anyone and the idea that the Kurds work with him doesn't sit right with me.

They were resisting, it was the continuous supply of ISIS forces that was putting the Kurds on jeopardy.

What else could they do?

If you read documents and conferences from Rojava Kurds before the alliance they all knew that in the case of making one with the USA or Russia they were going to betray them sooner or latter. The Kurds do the alliances they need to survive. Creating Rojava put them in that situation. They probably feared an agreement between Erdogan and Assad that would assure their obliteration. Only two countries can stop the air attacks that do so much damage to them: The USA and Russia. You have to deal with Assad to get Russia and The USA was not going to change their position.

El sueño

Feb 4, 2018
Today I don't believe in USA nor Russia or Syria. Its really sad if you think about it, but misinformation is really a post modernist issue and the big dogs (USA-RUSSIA) know how to play this game. Really sad for the poor people who don't deserve or understand the political framework of this conflict. Hope there will be a way out.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Wait the Kurds have done a deal with Assad. Fcuk that.

They should've done it before and not getting stabbed in the back by the US, as always.

I think it's not a bad deal. To my understanding:

- SDF is getting incorporated into the Syrian Army, under Russian survelliance
- Consolidation of Kurds rights in the constitution, autonomy to be negotiated
- Joint forces against Turks, Syrian Army to be deployed along the northern zones
- Kurdish figures to be incorporated into the government for the northen areas

Grain of salt, I'm verifying this. EDIT: Source: https://twitter.com/dannymakkisyria

Let's see how this goes, but it's hard to blame the Kurds.

Last edited:

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"Why won't the Kurds just kindly allow Turkey to slaughter them!?"

Found the Erdogan tankie.

Not at all. I despise Erdoğan's position in this whole conflict as he could of ended Assads rule very early. Turkish Air support initially would have seen Assads forces scrambling and the conflict could have ended way way earlier.

Of course the Kurds are now in a horrible position where options are limited but as I said before Assad is the #1 bad guy in this whole thing. I didn't like it when Arab fighting groups did deals with Assad either.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

EG3SarFWsAUW-Ed

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
lol so when will this sanctions take effect?

'soooon'

meanwhile Turkey continues on the warpath

in the end, both dictators will shake hands

win-win

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Good god this whole thing, besides being a tragic unnecessary and awful loss of life, is an insane gift to Russia.

US pulls out of Syria and Russia is seen as a more reliable ally.
NATO is torn apart more as they seek to damage Turkey.

Could Putin ask for anything better?

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Good god this whole thing, besides being a tragic unnecessary and awful loss of life, is an insane gift to Russia.

I'm sure he is constantly and Trump is hard at work to fulfill those requests

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017

To be fair, Turkey should have been ejected from NATO the moment the Cold War ended. The alliance with them isn't worth it. At no point have they been a good NATO partner the last 10 years or so.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
The incoherence of Trump's position makes Americans unreliable to every side in the conflict. This is also likely going to be a strategic disaster for Turkey to Russia's benefit.

Last edited:

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
According to Pence, Erdogan promised Trump that he wont attack the Kurdish city of Kobani

Lets see how long it will take for Erdogan to do it anyway

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018

NATO isn't torn apart at all. Turkey shouldn't be in NATO, and should have been given the boot decades ago.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
They should've done it before and not getting stabbed in the back by the US, as always.

I think it's not a bad deal. To my understanding:

- SDF is getting incorporated into the Syrian Army, under Russian survelliance
- Consolidation of Kurds rights in the constitution, autonomy to be negotiated
- Joint forces against Turks, Syrian Army to be deployed along the northern zones
- Kurdish figures to be incorporated into the government for the northen areas

Grain of salt, I'm verifying this. EDIT: Source: https://twitter.com/dannymakkisyria

Let's see how this goes, but it's hard to blame the Kurds.

They didn't have a choice but no way Assad sticks to this deal later when he's stronger. That autonomy will be gone fast.

CrunchyB

Oct 29, 2017
Seems like a no-brainer for Assad. Promise some autonomy to the Kurds, restore control within your borders (get rid of the Turks/ISIS) and then consolidate your power by dismantling most of the Kurdish government. Putin will make sure things don't escalate.

You now, other than a bunch of murderous dictators running this show, it's not so bad.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
American SOF literally handing over areas to russian SOF now.

this is embarrassing