• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017

EG3SarFWsAUW-Ed

Haha, he doesn't know any of these words. Well, a couple.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Incredible. Within 10 days we have gone from US and Turkish troops patrolling the border to russian troops patrolling the border.

Oct 28, 2017
So Trump is now threatening sanctions on a NATO ally which houses US air force bases AND US nuclear weapons?

I'm not sure they thought this through.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
What's amazing to me is how little flak Turkey is getting for its war crimes. Even outside the US. Obviously Trump is the catalyst, but Turkey is essentially ethnic cleansing the Kurds and there is some weak rumbling about sanctions. That's it.

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
So Trump is now threatening sanctions on a NATO ally which houses US air force bases AND US nuclear weapons?

Turkey doesn't have the planes to fly those nukes, neither does the US (in Turkey). They are basically just for show. Besides, Turkey can't do anything with them anyways because they can't detonate them even with proper planes.

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What's amazing to me is how little flak Turkey is getting for its war crimes. Even outside the US. Obviously Trump is the catalyst, but Turkey is essentially ethnic cleansing the Kurds and there is some weak rumbling about sanctions. That's it.

After years of dealing with the EU and the US, both Putin and Erdogan know they are not going to do anything drastic against them. They basically learned how to play them. Putin and Erdogan basically laugh at Merkel face when she tries to threaten them. They know the EU is useless and powerless against them. That they are never going to try something harsh against them because they have the means (gas, oil, refugees) to neutralize them.

Oct 28, 2017
Turkey doesn't have the planes to fly those nukes, neither does the US (in Turkey). They are basically just for show. Besides, Turkey can't do anything with them anyways because they can't detonate them even with proper planes.

I'm not insinuating they would 'take' them. That would be mental. But I assume there must be some level of co-operation to facilitate the operation of the bases and missile sites, even if it's simple municipal amenities which could be disrupted.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017

As a Turk living in Australia, its baffling to me. Kurdish people make up ~20% of Turkey's population.

Thats a 1 in 5 chance that you run into a Kurdish person in Turkey. I'm sure that there are a lot of people who think they're Turkish but are Kurdish and vice versa. There are even famous pop stars in Turkey that are Kurdish.

Yet, despite all that, there is an odd aggressive dislike towards them from a lot of Turkish people that stems from nothing except issues that weren't from their time.

I mean, a few examples from history come to mind of the consequences of a larger, more powerful ethnic group having a strong, aggressive dislike towards a minority ethnic group and none are good...

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018

One, Turkey should not still be in NATO. Between getting kicked out of the F35 program, US Sanction, and France and Germany no longer selling them arms - calling them an ally is a stretch, and honestly dangerous. They're an "ally" in terms of being part of an alliance they should have been kicked from at the end of the cold war. They are NOT an ally to the West.

Two, Turkey can't do anything with the US nukes. They're basically paperweights to Turkey.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Are there actually Turkish Army troops involved in this? Keep seeing stuff about "Turkish Proxies" or "Turkish backed jihadists". Shit gets confusing.

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
One, Turkey should not still be in NATO. Between getting kicked out of the F35 program, US Sanction, and France and Germany no longer selling them arms - calling them an ally is a stretch, and honestly dangerous. They're an "ally" in terms of being part of an alliance they should have been kicked from at the end of the cold war. They are NOT an ally to the West.

Two, Turkey can't do anything with the US nukes. They're basically paperweights to Turkey.

NATO is a military alliance. If we go by your logic, the US should have been kicked out more than a decade ago.

Erdogan should not be in the NATO is a better response. Turkey is still an important asset to NATO and alienating them is a pretty bad decision considering they have been cozying up with Russia this past year.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
NATO is a military alliance. If we go by your logic, the US should have been kicked out more than a decade ago.

Erdogan should not be in the NATO is a better response. Turkey is still an important asset to NATO and alienating them is a pretty bad decision considering they have been cozying up with Russia this past year.
WTF are you talking about. The US basically IS NATO, and is extremely close allies with the EU politically, socially, economically and militarily. Turkey is in no way allies with the west outside of being part of NATO.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
WTF are you talking about. The US basically IS NATO, and is extremely close allies with the EU politically, socially, economically and militarily. Turkey is in no way allies with the west outside of being part of NATO.

They are so close allies that they will take care of ISIS fighters liberated by the US president's actions.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So let me get this straight. We move troops out of the way allowing Turkey to strike.

Turkey Strikes

Russia moves in

We now put sanctions on Turkey, an ally, for doing something everyone knew they were going to do once US troops were moved out.

What dimension chess are we playing now???

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I can't really think of another time in my life a president (or any leader) has managed to fuck things up so bad in so short a time.

Amnixia

ā–² Legend ā–²
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Care to state what part you disagree with? The US is basically the EU's military, and the US is who protects the EU. Why the hell should the US be kicked out of NATO?

Murricah fuck yeah, amirite?

The EU is made up of many countries who all have their own military.

Not as big as the USes but to say they depend on the US is stretching it.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
So let me get this straight. We move troops out of the way allowing Turkey to strike.

Turkey Strikes

Russia moves in

We now put sanctions on Turkey, an ally, for doing something everyone knew they were going to do once US troops were moved out.

What dimension chess are we playing now???
"Piss off as many people as possible 6D Go"

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018

The EU absolutely depends on the US for protection. US protection is how the EU is able to spend almost nothing on their militaries. That isn't stretching anything. That is a fact.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
Keep hearing news just reading out "I'm deeply concerned" responses to Trump's actions over this. Wish they would turn this concern into action.

Guess I am too hopeful.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

I'd hate to agree with DrewFu, but the US military/submarines/satellites/airsuperiority/missile bases/all of that is very very well paid for by taxes. Instead of healthcare and everything else. The USA can strike anywhere on the globe within minutes, have carriers anywhere we want, and constantly refuel everything. Its an impressive waste of money. NATO hardly does anything effective without the US's ok.

its the 1 thing america has going for itself.

When its used correctly, unlike this situation. All the money in the world can't fix a fucking idiot running things.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"Turkey's president has said he would not stop his offensive on northern Syria until "all our objectives had been achieved", defying US sanctions, a European arms embargo and increasing international isolation.
Turkey is in the seventh day of its assault against the Syrian Kurdish forces, which has so far forced more than 150,000 people to flee and left some 60 civilians dead.
(...)"

Swiftly destroy me if old

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
What a gigantic shitshow. Trump outright betrayed the U.S. and its allies with this bullshit. Treasonous asshole.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Keep hearing news just reading out "I'm deeply concerned" responses to Trump's actions over this. Wish they would turn this concern into action.

Guess I am too hopeful.
Congress had/has complete power to stop the troop withdrawal, but in typical congressional fashion, they're choosing to just complain instead.

edit: nvm, I appear to be wrong on this.

Last edited:

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Congress had/has complete power to stop the troop withdrawal, but in typical congressional fashion, they're choosing to just complain instead.
Can it?
It can prevent the US from going to war, at least theoretically (it didn't vote for the Syrian deployment but we still went because, lol, what you gonna do? impeach me?) but what powers does it have to prevent the president from moving forces from place to place?