• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
This situation is a massive clusterfuck.

The only hope that Kurds have at survival at this point is to ally with Iran and possibly Assad (ugh).

Oct 25, 2017
So fucking sad and angry about Rojava. They're tremendous fighters but I don't know how long they can last without heavy equipment support. I hope they get a miracle.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
im legit sad about this. After all they did for us....for this fuckface orange turd to betray them..and that there is NOTHING that we can do...im just plain sad.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Getting Trump out of whitehouse next election has gone from an domestic issue to an international issue. This man cannot be in charge of the most powerful country in the world. It is unethical.

OP
OP
Saya

Saya

Oct 25, 2017

"This morning, Turkey, a NATO member, invaded Syria. The United States does not endorse this attack and has made it clear to Turkey that this operation is a bad idea."

"There are no American soldiers in the area. From the first day I entered the political arena, I made it clear that I did not want to fight these endless, senseless wars—especially those that don't benefit the United States...."

MORE: "Turkey has committed to protecting civilians, protecting religious minorities, including Christians, and ensuring no humanitarian crisis takes place—and we will hold them to this commitment..."

"In addition, Turkey is now responsible for ensuring all ISIS fighters being held captive remain in prison and that ISIS does not reconstitute in any way, shape, or form. We expect Turkey to abide by all of its commitments, and we continue to monitor the situation closely."

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Worst thing is Kurds dying. The other worst thing is good luck trying to convince them or anyone else to join your future conflicts.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this will be a genocide, the civilians are getting on arms to defend themselves, they will be killed and labeled terrorists by turkey.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I see there is a lengthy wiki article about this conflict (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurdish–Turkish_conflict_(1978–present)) as well as a more recent article (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurdish–Turkish_conflict_(2015–present)), but does anyone have a link to an abridged story about this situation? I'm in the dark about it and would love to read something concise from the Times or something that spells out what is happening and why Erdogan is doing all this.
Long story short: Turkey repressed its Kurdish population into terrorism/violent separatism, so a terrorist faction called the PKK has been fighting in southeastern Turkey for Kurdish autonomy for several decades now.

The YPG is a Kurdish faction in northern Syria that fights against ISIS, and according to Erdoğan (or Turkey in general, really), it and the PKK are one and the same, so Erdoğan is invading on the pretext that Turkey is eradicating PKK-related soldiers in northern Syria for its own security and integrity.

Erdoğan also wants to settle some 2 million Syrian refugees in the area, but that's relatively sensible (Turkey doesn't have the infrastructure or economy to support the 3 million odd refugees it has right now, and racist tensions are high). (Of course it'd probably constitute ethnic cleansing anyhow but yeah.)

Also, i might be biased because I grew up in Turkey and am most familiar with that viewpoint.

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A bad idea...

That's what you say when you're mate wants a second pizza, not when a dictator is bombing your allies.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Worst thing is Kurds dying. The other worst thing is good luck trying to convince them or anyone else to join your future conflicts.
People said the US would betray the Kurds when the alliance started, everybody expects a US betrayal but the Kurds didn't have much of a choice but to join forces with the US.

Long story short: Turkey repressed its Kurdish population into terrorism/violent separatism, so a terrorist faction called the PKK has been fighting in southeastern Turkey for Kurdish autonomy for several decades now.

The YPG is a Kurdish faction in northern Syria that fights against ISIS, and according to Erdoğan (or Turkey in general, really), it and the PKK are one and the same, so Erdoğan is invading on the pretext that Turkey is eradicating PKK-related soldiers in northern Syria for its own security and integrity.

Erdoğan also wants to settle some 2 million Syrian refugees in the area, but that's relatively sensible (Turkey doesn't have the infrastructure or economy to support the 3 million odd refugees it has right now, and racist tensions are high). (Of course it'd probably constitute ethnic cleansing anyhow but yeah.)

Also, i might be biased because I grew up in Turkey and am most familiar with that viewpoint.

Also the refugee settlement in the Afrin area was done by pushing the resident population out of their homes to make room for the refugees who are obviously not from the area. There's a high chance they'll do the same in the rest of the Kurdish territory, drive out the natives and replace them with refugees.

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal

"The US military has been ordered by President Trump not to help." ... that's from the national security correspondent for Fox News

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017

No need to repeat what the biased Turkish media says, just say what exactly it is. Erdogan only want this "war" to create this "safe zone" for himself and his concrete buddies to urbanize the shit out of northern crescent. Everything have already been set in stone, from how many houses and other projects to be made to who will make them. Concrete Lord wants concrete to rule Syria.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Were barely brown. Kurds without sun get white as hell. We look Mediterranean if anything, same with most turk and Syrians

It's amazing how flexible racism can be when the powers that be need scapegoats. The Irish are an excellent example of a people who were once considered a separate "race" until it was politically convenient to make them white.

Oct 27, 2017
Based on history, what could possibly go wrong here? Lol, just kidding, we're making more enemies that used to be allies and know how to fight us.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Operation Peace Spring sounds exactly like the sort of name we'll be hearing in a war crime tribunal a few decades from now.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Aligning with Russia and beginning an offensive against Turkey may be our best hope. It took forever to fight to the point we could achieve a ceasefire with Turkey..

Only for Erdogan to break that ceasefire in an attempt to drum up support..

Turkey is, has always been, a genocidal state. Greeks, kurds, and other minorities have suffered under the Turkish philosophy of whitewashing minority existence.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is absolutely monstrous. And the GOP will sit there and do nothing, offering only thoughts and prayers.

This is why you implicitly project force in these types of situations. As soon as the threat of retaliation was gone, the despots invaded.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this kind of betrayal is what will fuel the next generation of terrorists who attack the US