• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017
arcthelad.jpg

lord-of-magna-maiden-heaven-gameplay-screenshots-3ds-pink-for-trouble.jpg

220px-Arc-The-Lad.jpg
\

Kind of like an SRPG-lite, but you actually move the characters around when in battle, rather than selecting where the character should move?

I find this kind of battle system to be immensely satisfying for some reason.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Quest 64? It's turn-based, but you can dodge some attacks by moving around on your turn as the enemy's attack continues into your turn. You freely move your character around within a certain radius and then your turn ends when you take an action.

qxbA5L1.gif

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
So grid-less, free-form movement during movement phases? Valkyria Chronicles 1 (and the rest, I assume), and Divinity: Original Sin 1 & 2 do this.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I came in to suggest Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits but you already beat me to it, OP. Though at least I named it so I won!

I agree, for some reason it's just very satisfying.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
Legend of Heroes: Trails games. Positioning is important, since attacks and support skills have different ranges and areas of effect.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
The Legend of Heroes from Trails in the Sky-onward.

Positioning of characters - And controlling the position of enemies - is probably one of the most important elements to combat since battles are heavily AoE-based. It's so much more strategic than most JRPG fare.

Oct 27, 2017
The Legend of Heroes is one of my favorite series but I don't think they fit what OP means exactly. Those other games are like you actually control the character's movement in real time and it's only the attacks that are command menu based. Arc The Lad PS2 was really fun because of that battle system. Hope that series gets revived one day because it was something special.

If LOH had real time movement it would actually be really close to Twilight of The Spirits now that I think about it. No wonder I like both of them so much lol.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Valkyrie Profile 2 had an interesting system that was turn based but still involved strategy and movement, and it was really enjoyable to me because you could split up parties and stuff too.

Wild Arms 3 had players running around inbetween actions randomly :P

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2 do this. The environment always plays a huge role in these and makes every combat encounter feel different. It's a fantastic combat system.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
I was eyeing Lost Dimension on Steam earlier, it's basically what the op is asking and with main focus on the combat, so it's fun if you wanted something straight to the point.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Legend of Heroes games like Trails in the Sky or Trails of Cold Steel.

Free movement around the field is important for positioning yourself away from certain attacks. All 100% turn based.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Some of my favorites fall into this category.
Trails in the Sky/Trails of Cold Steel, Divinity Original Sin 1&2 and Resonance of Fate.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2 do this. The environment always plays a huge role in these and makes every combat encounter feel different. It's a fantastic combat system.
The free movement is also really smart, given that so many little things can alter your movement/status, and thus affect the range/effect of your skills.

It's just... so perfectly designed.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Lunar 1 and 2 remake on ps1 and the original Lunar 2 on Sega CD, Mouvement and positioning are important.

let's go more obscure Sorcerer's Kingdom that use a similar combat style as Arc the lad. Ultima 2-6 (maybe 7 i don't remember) combat series use that kind of style too.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The most underrated Atlus IP ever - Growlanser series. I highly recommend Wayfarer of Time (Growlanser IV). Great game.

Lost Dimension is pretty damn good too.

Nathan

Oct 27, 2017
Grandia 1 and 2. It has a kind of hybrid real-time/action bar, and positioning and movement is important to the flow of combat.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Radiant Historia would *kind of* fit into this wouldn't it?

Outside of Trails in the Sky and the Ark the Lad games (at least on PS2), I can't think of any others. It is a cool combat system though, I remember really liking it in the AtL games.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
If I remember correctly Grandia 2 and Tales of Symphonia do this. Not sure about the other games in either series but I seem to remember those 2 letting you move your character during battle.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Live A Live
tdO7r5z.png

Record of Lodoss War
ngJJJ0g.png

Treasure Hunter G
KFYJgFp.png

Parasite Eve
AFNHnDj.png

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter