• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mrjohill

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon ball fusions has a system like that
DGuRSI0.jpg

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Most Compile Heart RPGs do this, such as Fairy Fencer, Death End Request, or Dragon Star Varnir. Dragon Star is especially interesting in terms of this because characters can fly so positioning doesn't just matter on a flat grid but rather verticality matters as well.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Phantom Brave is sort of a weird in-between. It's a strategy RPG, but there's no grid, but movement isn't something you do while you can do other actions.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Magna Carta: Tears of Blood

Valkyria Chronicles

Grandia

Popolocrois
Does Grandia really count for this? It's been a while (like, since I was a kid) so I could be wrong, but don't characters move automatically in battle depending on which actions you choose (like that's what I remember anyway, and the pathfinding being really weird at times and screwing me over when I thought I could reach but the AI taking some weird movement instead)? That doesn't really sound like what the OP's talking about. Like yeah, characters nonetheless do move on the battlefield and positioning is definitely important (because if an enemy is too far away your character will move as far as they can but then just not do anything), but you don't have direct control over that, so that's a huge ehhhhhhh to me.

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon ball fusions has a system like that
DGuRSI0.jpg
Yep, and it's quite good. Would love a sequel, or at least another franchise attempted with the same mechanics.

EDIT: Nvm, OP wants direct control of movement, so this doesn't count. In which case...

Summon Night 6 does this. You're still travelling around SRPG square grids, but you move and control your character in those squares like what you've mentioned. The abysmal Natural Doctrine functions the same way.

smk6-screen3.jpg

I would have liked the new Fire Emblem to control like that actually. It just feels nice.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Grandia.
It's one of the options from the battle menu along with attack, defend, item, etc. It's best used when an enemy is charging a area of effect attack so you can choose to scatter your party preventing them all from getting hit. For standard melee attacks, characters run up to the enemy to perform it and stay where they ran to as opposed to returning to their original place.
A good example is the boss on the haunted ship near the beginning of the game. It has a move where it inhales, sucking all your party members into an area in front of it. It's follow up attack is a powerful AOE so the sensible option is to use a turn to run away instead of attacking. It's this fight that seems to drive home the nuances of the battle system and teach the player they can't just spam attack to win every fight.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
I'm always going to go into a thread to mention Valkyrie Profile 2.

I also believe it's the hardest JRPG ever made, along with Xenoblade X.

Oct 27, 2017
Nice Arc the Lad TotS call out OP. I love its battle system, a beautiful fusion of turn based and strategy. What really makes it click for me is that different characters have different attack ranges and widths, and these can be further tweaked by weapon attachments. Super satisfying finding ways to smack multiple enemies at once. Also, TotS has one of the best narratives in a PS2 jrpg. Sadly underrated and forgotten game.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Vagrant Story might fit the description, though the system is so peculiar (and unique) that I'd understand if some think otherwise.

Transistor also follows a similar style, what's most singular here is the RPG element: existent, but rather light.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Definitely Resonance of Fate, everyone takes their turn and you move around an arena. Positioning is very important

HiLDIrS.gif

1sVViiY.gif

EeX9SpY.gif

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I am no longer surprised people considered my opinion that ATB is not turn based, but cooldown based controversial. When people think even xenoblade is turn based, of course idea that ATB doesn't have turns, just cooldowns would sound like absolute heresy.
Been a while since I played an ATB game, didn't they have settings to let you switch between "active" active-time battle and "waiting" where you still could take your time?

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Check out Valkyrie Profile 2. Incredible battle system. Incredible game period.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Been a while since I played an ATB game, didn't they have settings to let you switch between "active" active-time battle and "waiting" where you still could take your time?

Wait system would pause everything while you are scrolling through options, while active would mean even menuing had to be done real time, with enemy atb gauges ticking

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does Grandia really count for this? It's been a while (like, since I was a kid) so I could be wrong, but don't characters move automatically in battle depending on which actions you choose (like that's what I remember anyway, and the pathfinding being really weird at times and screwing me over when I thought I could reach but the AI taking some weird movement instead)? That doesn't really sound like what the OP's talking about. Like yeah, characters nonetheless do move on the battlefield and positioning is definitely important (because if an enemy is too far away your character will move as far as they can but then just not do anything), but you don't have direct control over that, so that's a huge ehhhhhhh to me.
You can also move your characters, there is an option for it. It may only be in Grandia 2 though, that's the only one I've played so if you are thinking of the first one that may be the source of confusion.