• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
2020%2F05%2Fassassins-creed-valhalla-ps5-ps4-screenshots.original%20%282%29_5eba5013b607b.webp

So earlier this month, a (now deleted) tweet from Malek Teffaha (Head of Communications and Localization for Ubisoft Middle East) stated that Valhalla will not be the longest or largest game in the series to address bloat criticisms. Though Ubisoft producer Julien Laferrière went on record a few days ago in an interview with YouTuber Julien Chièze to state the opposite...

Translation:
Julien Chièze said:
The first thing that interests the players is the size of the world compared to what you have done previously in Odyssey and Origins, which are the last two. Is it similar? Is it bigger? Is it comparable?
Julien Laferrière said:
I would actually say in terms of range, it is probably a bit larger than Odyssey. I do not have the exact figures at this stage, but we have not only created the whole country, which is in this case England, but also a good part of Norway too. There are other secret worlds, which I can not speak about today, which contributed to the size of the game. It's not a small game, it is a game which is clearly ambitious, which will offer many many hours of gameplay for the players.

To be honest, learning that thirteen studios worked on this game kinda crushed any hope of it being smaller in scope than the game's predecessors. I respect the fact that Ubisoft want to take these newer AC games in a different direction but the bloat is honestly too much. Obviously just because the game's map is bigger doesn't mean the experience can't be a lot more focused and shorter though I doubt it. Too early to make any judgement call though so we'll just wait and see.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I did try to tell people that we should probably wait for clarification because Odyssey was a HUGE success for Ubisoft, and frankly I don't seem them scaling back on it.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
It's not so much the size, it's the density of crappy filler content. The actual world was not that tedious to navigate, it was the mindless busywork filling it that became boring.

Let's hope that there is more to do than just clear bandit camps.

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
As someone who didn't mind the Odyssey "bloat" I love this, but I also wish it was smaller in scope because it seems like that's the preference of almost literally everyone else I've talked to.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
2020%2F05%2Fassassins-creed-valhalla-ps5-ps4-screenshots.original%20%282%29_5eba5013b607b.webp

So earlier this month, a (now deleted) tweet from Malek Teffaha (Head of Communications and Localization for Ubisoft Middle East) stated that Valhalla will not be the longest or largest game in the series to address bloat criticisms. Though Ubisoft producer Julien Laferrière went on record a few days ago in an interview with YouTuber Julien Chièze to state the opposite...

Translation:

To be honest, learning that thirteen studios worked on this game kinda crushed any hope of it being smaller in scope than the game's predecessors. I respect the fact that Ubisoft want to take these newer AC games in a different direction but the bloat is honestly too much. Obviously just because the game's map is bigger doesn't mean the experience can't be a lot more focused and shorter though I doubt it.

I mean, it could have been both smaller in scope than the previous games and still massive lol. Odyssey and Origins have insane maps

Oct 25, 2017
I'm less concerned about the size and more concerned about bloat and how easy it is the complete the main story.

Origins was big but far easier to complete the main story than Odyssey by a fair margin.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
This. I do not care how big the map is, please stop putting filler shit in it. I am just so god damn happy when they say there will be no level gating because the only reason I did the filler stuff was to level up

Sure, there is no level gating

there is probably gear power rating gating though

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I'm really enjoying Odyssey at the moment but my word. I just got to the part where you can upgrade your spear and feel like the world is just too big for what the game offers. That doesn't sound great.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I am now playing AC Origins and it is simply too fucking big, anything over would be just ridiculous without Just Cause tier traversal.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Good, I loved Odyssey's scope.

"Secret worlds" huh? So Valhalla.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
odyssey problem wasn't that was too big, problem was that I couldn't skipp additional subquest couse they force grindy leveling up on you

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well thats a giant disappointment. Odyssey was one of the worst games in the series, large in part to its world size and bloat.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed Odyssey's world size tbh. Just need the latest in fast travel tech to become standard.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
If it's bigger but has less filler content and more meaningful one, I'm okay with this.

Navigating trough Odyssey was a joy due to the fantastic landscape and beautiful art direction, the only thing that made me overwhelmed was the amount of repetitive and non-sense content, being quests or places to explore to do the same thing.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Not looking forward to another Odyssey-size slog, that's for sure..

I did try to tell people that we should probably wait for clarification because Odyssey was a HUGE success for Ubisoft, and frankly I don't seem them scaling back on it.

I doubt a 20% smaller map would've made a difference in that regard.

Map size =/= game success.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Excellent news, I was pretty disappointed when I'd heard that it could potentially be smaller.

I love Odyssey and Origins, the bigger the better I say!

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Unless the combat is leagues better than origins and Odyssey, I'll get this on sale, play for 15 hours and drop it.

Feb 5, 2018
The game is trying to scale basically the entirety of England, which very possibly includes Ireland and Scotland as the wider "Great Britain" and the fact that geographically, it makes sense. Then they are saying it has parts of Norway and other "surprises", which possibly means it includes the majority of the North Sea and possibly portions of France, Germany, Netherlands, etc.

Honestly, I expected the game to be huge, albeit a different scale to Odyssey.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Odyssey was enormous. I thought it was a great game, but I wasn't expecting Valhalla to somehow match or exceed the size of Odyssey's play space

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Other secret places huh?

I'm sure there was a rumour that mentioned Paris too, I really hope it is included considering that they can work from Unity

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Count me in on the "fuck yeah" side of things. I loved Odyssey and how endlessly explorable it was. Some games I want to be a tight 20 hour adventure, and some I want to have endless shit for me to do while I put on a podcast and zone out for a few hours.

Im more than okay with this

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
I just hope it's not a huge world just for the sake of being "huge" with a lot of useless, dead space in it.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone, please stop Ubisoft.

They are not making games of this length for an artistic reason. And that's a sad state of affairs.

Got to have that levelling up. Got to have those cosmetics.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully there is a lot more diversity in the environments. Greece in Odyssey was beautiful but a lot of it looked similar.

Feb 5, 2018
Other secret places huh?

I'm sure there was a rumour that mentioned Paris too, I really hope it is included considering that they can work from Unity

Different time period though, Paris definitely was not that big then, which makes it more possible?

Hopefully there is a lot more diversity in the environments. Greece in Odyssey was beautiful but a lot of it looked similar.

Judging from initial pics, there's already more variety from those.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, man.

I enjoyed Odyssey but the map wasn't exactly great.

I disagree but more with your wording.

The map is unreal, everywhere is unique and amazingly crafted and detailed and you can pretty much walk, run, climb or ride anywhere and get amazing views and vistas.

The problem is it's overwhelming. It's kind of anxiety inducing because of it's scale and lack of focus. Even if you do the main story it's like "go talk to X do Y and come back" and then the mission marker pops up and it's 400m away and you know that because of the level of detail and complexity and player movement speed that going to that location is a 10 min trip avoiding restricted areas so you don't stumble into a fight by just climbing a wall and trying to do it before Mercenary hunter 76 rounds a corner with a health pool this size of the Atlantic ocean and enough DPS to kill your entire bloodline if you don't perfectly dodge and riposte.

Scale is the issue but I can't for a second knock quality in AC:O map design.

The one small issue I have is that I'd like so more ... gamey old style assassins creed parkour sections like climbing a big all structure and swinging along caverns but I understand sometimes real world styles limit those.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is good news, the empty deserts in Origins made it feel like you know....a desert.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Honestly this will probably stop be playing this game, at least anytime soon. I'm playing Odyssey at the moment and its just far too big with so much filler content to flesh the map out.

Surely they would have heard this complaint since 2018 and at least tried to address it in the sequel?

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
odyssey problem wasn't that was too big, problem was that I couldn't skipp additional subquest couse they force grindy leveling up on you
Yep, I agree with this. I loved the size and scope of Odyssey. I also totally understand that people were put off by the grindy leveling. I didn't really understand it at first either - I have to wait five levels to do this next thing, wtf?! But being 'forced' to do the side quests was probably the best part of my experience. I ultimately loved exploring random new islands that the game wouldn't funnel me through during the main quest.

They needed to communicate it better IMO or give people an option to streamline it while also giving carrots for people that explore and do the side quests (loot, etc.).

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
What did you expect? Less filler content? Meaningful content? In an Assassin's Creed game?
It will be the same with some new mechanics - like it's always been. It's an Ubisoft game ...

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Come on. We want massive open worlds and we want less bloat. These are not mutually exclusive.

People need to stop thinking that a "smaller" AC game means less bloat.

The real problem is Ubisoft's understanding of making meaningful content. We had plenty of boring stuff in the old AC games.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm, excuse me, the whole of England? No Wales, Scotland? Cheeky bit of Ireland?

It's weird because the main settlers in England were the danes not norweigans, while the norweigans raided/settled Scotland, Ireland and the Isle of Man. Wales mostly didn't get much in the way of vikings.

As an Irishman, I'm hoping for a bit of Dyflinn/Dublin :D

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I'll play the crap out of this but I've said I want a scaled back one for years. Give me one city to explore, absurdly detailed with all kinds of unique content. Top of the line graphics, since you aren't trying to cover half the friggin world.