• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Here's what I clipped :] **Note -- Switch to HD for higher quality gifs.

This multiplayer feels really fun and unique, unlike anything else on the market. Aiming without lock-on with this level of mobility and verticality would be bananas.

COMING IN HOT!

YOU CANNOT ESCAPE ME!

Ground Pound kills feel great

Breaking an enemy's line of sight is intense

//======================================

Share yours!

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
I really think they should have removed the lock-on entirely. Kind of defeats the whole point of PvP.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Yo, isn't it out on the 15th?

There was insider testing that ended today for the multiplayer arena mode. Pretty strong first impressions, from what I've seen.

I really think they should have removed the lock-on entirely. Kind of defeats the whole point of PvP.

The lock-on works because the weaponry has real travel time, so your motion and your target's motion have to be timed/matched to get the hits to land. Based on the other games, there's a pretty high skill ceiling, even without getting into the new mobility and environmental strategies. With the amount of motion players have relative to each other, it's basically a design necessity.

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
from playing the technical test, i didnt find it fun at all if i am being honest. it has way too many problems.

WieDerrickWie

Jul 4, 2018
Competitive multiplayer is the last thing I'd want out of a Crackdown game but good to know folks are enjoying it. I also do like the look of it.
All I care about is how meaty is the singleplayer. I'm going to go in blind though so I won't know until I experience it for myself :D

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
No, you need to play it to understand it. The game would be literally impossible to play without lock-on, i.e. it would be a completely different game, much less exciting one.
i did play it, and the lock on is horrible. whats the point of destruction if the lock on is not allowing me to do it.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
i did play it, and the lock on is horrible. whats the point of destruction if the lock on is not allowing me to do it.

Then I just don't get how you can say that, the mobility is just too high to get more than a couple of kills per match without lock-on, if even that. Unless the people that you played with didn't know how to play properly, and kept relatively still. That's not Crackdown.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Then I just don't get how you can say that, the mobility is just too high to get more than a couple of kills per match without lock-on, if even that. Unless the people that you played with didn't know how to play properly, and kept relatively still. That's not Crackdown.
Yeah.

Lock on is integral to how the gameplay works.

With side boosts, multiple jumps with optional extra boost upwards, you simply would be an impossible target to hit without lock on or weapons that tracked the players anyway.

The key in the game is line of sight and if you break that, you're safe. It's also a game which certainly helps if you're coordinated with your teammates. 2 people locked onto someone is usually enough to make someone's life much shorter.

I royally suck at it but it's still very fun. There's enough games that don't use this sort of system if that's what you're looking for.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
You can hip fire if you want. Either you haven't played this or you were really bad at it!
as i clearly said in my post, i did play the technical test, however i really dislike the lack of focus on destruction. if the game focused on destruction rather than being a last gen tacked on multiplayer mdoe there would have been no need for the lock on and the mode would have been much more unique. right now it is boring as hell. right now the destruction is a visual candy that barely added to the gameplay for me, which is really disappointing considering how much more you can do with this destruction.
because the game moved its focus on to killing the other team memebers that lock on was used instead and it is really annoying in that way.

klaus

Oct 28, 2017
as i clearly said in my post, i did play the technical test, however i really dislike the lack of focus on destruction. if the game focused on destruction rather than being a last gen tacked on multiplayer mdoe there would have been no need for the lock on and the mode would have been much more unique. right now it is boring as hell. right now the destruction is a visual candy that barely added to the gameplay for me, which is really disappointing considering how much more you can do with this destruction.
because the game moved its focus on to killing the other team memebers that lock on was used instead and it is really annoying in that way.
Lol, this multiplayer is imo next-gen and offers things no other game has. The destruction is super awesome and completely changes how the game is played. The movement options are ridiculously great and absolutely necessitate the lock-on.

Sorry to hear you didn't like it, but it really sounds to me as if you played it completely wrong..

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
From Slicer Dyster

LegalKeyKatydid-size_restricted.gif

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

I have no idea which game you're talking about, but it sure as hell isn't the test that I played. Destruction is very important, tactical, and integral to playing well. Luckily, if you didn't like it, there are oodles of other multiplayer games out there, just take your pick.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You said you were forced to use lock-on - those aren't the words of someone who's played it.

And the lock-on pushes the focus to line-of-sight play, which in turn encourages using destruction when on the offensive (there are also defensive uses as shown in the gifs).

OP
OP
FUNKNOWN iXi

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While I disagree with your notion that the multiplayer is boring, I will say that they totally missed the mark on a destruction-based mode. It would be awesome if there was a mode where the goal would be to destroy enemy bases/towers and you gain points for blowing things up.

Who knows, maybe post launch? I'm curious to see what kind of support it'll receive.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
While I disagree with your notion that the multiplayer is boring, I will say that they totally missed the mark on a destruction-based mode. It would be awesome if there was a mode where the goal would be to destroy enemy bases/towers and you gain points for blowing things up.

Who knows, maybe post launch? I'm curious to see what kind of support it'll receive.

Yeah, the game could use more modes, and more PvP content in general, although I'm sure that they're coming post-launch. The Territories mode, which wasn't available in the test, sounds really interesting.

GamesRadar+ said:
Our favourite of the modes presented during our hands-on session, however, was Territories, which sees teams battle it out for control over ever-shifting territory spaces across a landscape that is forever changing as the battle rages on. As skyscrapers fall, as cover becomes obliterated, and as the composition of the environment warps to the flow of combat, the tension in play is only heightened over time.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Was able to most of the tests on a low end pc. Minor stuttering aside it played great.

Last edited:

WieDerrickWie

Jul 4, 2018
Can anyone thats played on PC with controller say if they were able to remap the buttons on a 360/One controller?

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
hell no. even with mouse aiming in MP would be a nightmare. Lock on works fine especially since Crackdown is essentially a platformer.

Eh, as as someone who's played Quake, Tribes and UT, I think aiming would be fine with a mouse. Crackdown is pretty slow and floaty. Really wouldn't be that hard to hit people. If Crackdown 3 allows it, I'm definitely playing without lock-on on PC.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
Eh, as as someone who's played Quake, Tribes and UT, I think aiming would be fine with a mouse. Crackdown is pretty slow and floaty. Really wouldn't be that hard to hit people. If Crackdown 3 allows it, I'm definitely playing without lock-on on PC.
you can hip fire if thats what you wanna do. You gotta remember this is releasing on consoles too and not everyone like games like Quake and Tribes. They arent even that big anymore to be fair.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Fucking lol.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
Bummed out that I couldn't find the time to play during the tests so these GIFs will have to do until launch.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Real happy to hear the game is being received well once you understand the meat of its multiplayer mechanic.

You all are right about there being nothing like this form of multiplayer, so this type of disruption can cause a huge backlash at first, fingers crossed they offer more modes to exploit the movement and destruction which does look fantastic.