• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
If the skill is not in the aim, does it delete every other part of a skill based game?

Well every game is different but Crackdown MP seems very easy with the lock on. It just doesn't look that great to me and wouldn't hold my interest for long. If you love that kind of thing, nothing wrong with that, just saying it looks pretty average to me.

The Campaign and collecting the orbs is what I want more of, like the first game.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Some SP-related gifs:

AllImprobableBighornedsheep-size_restricted.gif

SmartPracticalChinesecrocodilelizard-size_restricted.gif

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Well every game is different but Crackdown MP seems very easy with the lock on. It just doesn't look that great to me and wouldn't hold my interest for long. If you love that kind of thing, nothing wrong with that, just saying it looks pretty average to me.

The Campaign and collecting the orbs is what I want more of, like the first game.
You've not been playing very good players then.

When you're playing against someone who knows how to move properly and effectively break line of sight it can become a real challenge.

klaus

Oct 28, 2017
Take a look at 3:30 onwards and you'll see what I mean. There are more parts to buildings, stuff explodes and there are more layers in between. I guess they pulled it back a bit because now the buildings look more hollow and empty

To my eyes, it looks pretty much the same with a few differences: the buildings in the old demo were much bigger, he was looking from farther away and the explosions / smoke effects were tuned up more, thus creating the illusion of more details. If you actually look really close, you see that the buildings were just as empty, no furniture, no room walls, nada. Also, compare the size of debris pieces - they look pretty much the same to me. There were just more pieces falling because the buildings were bigger, and they kept the debris pieces around for longer (which can be a huge problem in actual gameplay when people get stuck between stuff).

Now imagine playing the current mode with such huge buildings and lots of floors / balkonies. Would not make for engaging combat since too many obstacles block sightlines, and destruction would take too long to become effective (since there would be more stuff to destroy - even in the demo it took him a while to level a building, and he had overpowered guns that wouldn't really work in the actual game). Movement would also be seriously hampered with too much stuff in your way, and this game only works when you can dash in all 6 directions (including up and down) relatively unhindered.

I stand by my statement: It's just as impressive and not pared down compared to that demo, just adjusted for actual fun multiplayer (and probably also affordable server cost). Will be very interesting to see if they ever make a mode that fully emphasizes big scale destruction.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

I don't know if it will hold my interest for long too. But the four hours I've played so far were great fun. The difficult isn't in the aiming, it's in breaking lines of sight with movement or destruction. That's what makes it so different. If you are looking for a third party shooter experience, this game isn't going to bring what you want.

Don't think everyone is saying the game is GOTY-material. Just that it's actually quite fun.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
"Share your clips!"

Oh wait lets talk again about lockdown and the techdemo from years ago

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
What would you propose instead?
easy.
a game with 2 or possibly even 3 teams. each with their own area.
each area has a bunch of multi-floor buildings and in some of these floors lies an object that you need to destroy. those objects will be placed at random in those buildings.
this sounds like a generic game however, the tools of destruction the players are given makes this game much different than any other, as you can approach the task from a few directions. you can search for it directly, or destroy the base of the buidling, thus creating several levels for the game where you character needs to constantly move to between these different approaches, between attacking and defending etc.
also i can see using the mobility as well for possibly moving the object to another building manualy which will have a risk reward with the mechanics.

in general there is so much you can do with destruction in games, and i now see most are enjoying this game so i am sorry if anyone felt i was arguing for no reason, i just wished that it could be something that connects the destruction more.... directly into the gameplay.

You did not play it.
so your words are fact and i am just spouting lies? because i really did play the technical test.... but i guess whatever suits you.

Feb 10, 2018
easy.
each area has a bunch of multi-floor buildings and in some of these floors lies an object that you need to destroy. those objects will be placed at random in those buildings.
this sounds like a generic game however, the tools of destruction the players are given makes this game much different than any other, as you can approach the task from a few directions. you can search for it directly, or destroy the base of the buidling, thus creating several levels for the game where you character needs to constantly move to between these different approaches, between attacking and defending etc.
also i can see using the mobility as well for possibly moving the object to another building manualy which will have a risk reward with the mechanics.

in general there is so much you can do with destruction in games, and i now see most are enjoying this game so i am sorry if anyone felt i was arguing for no reason, i just wished that it could be something that connects the destruction more.... directly into the gameplay.

so your words are fact and i am just spouting lies? because i really did play the technical test.... but i guess whatever suits you.

This thread is about sharing clips, not gameplay talk.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
easy.

But how did the lock on prevent you from destroying things?

This thread is about sharing clips, not gameplay talk.

I'll shut up. :D

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
But how did the lock on prevent you from destroying things?
i dont have a problem specifically with a normal lock on, like most MP games have auto aim to some level. i just want to have some degree of freedom with it so i could also destroy when i want.
but anyways it seems people want to focus on the clips so i will not bother you any longer. it does seem that you enjoy the game and that is completely fine. maybe the issue is just for me.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty substantial graphics updgarde over crackdown 1, even with C1 being 4k on the 1X.

Now compare that, to this

It's easy to see the difference. If you liked Crackdown, I don't see any reason not to be excited about Crackdown 3. It looks like they nailed it, even if there looks to be some clear differences in the weight and momentum of the characters. You're so weighty in the older Crackdowns and seem to weigh little in the new one.

One slight concern would be if the expanded jumping capabilities makes it too easy maneuvering. One of the big differences as to why it's so fun to collect the orbs in Crackdown compared to other open world games, where it feels like a chore, is that there's risk associated with the jumping, because you can't just adjust with extra boosting mid jump. That's what made you feel the riskier jumps in your stomach. Not sure that can be replicated, if you have too much adjustment control in the air, as Infamous has proved time and again.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Still looking forward to the Single Player but the MP is not really my thing, the lock on makes it look far too easy, with no real skill needed.

It isn't, don't worry, there's plenty of skill involved. You'll play it, you'll understand it.

Because one of the best shooters of the generation combined with destruction would have been awful...

Perhaps not, I'm sure we'll see similar ideas explored in the future, in this or other games. The big difference is this still feels like a Crackdown game, and that wouldn't.

Had opportunity to try it, disliked it. You're kidding yourselves telling people that lock on is a necessity due to the mobility.

Tribes and Titanfall are fantastic games with high mobility that work, without lock on.

Then play without lock-on, nothing is stopping you. See you on the battlefield.

One slight concern would be if the expanded jumping capabilities makes it too easy maneuvering. One of the big differences as to why it's so fun to collect the orbs in Crackdown compared to other open world games, where it feels like a chore, is that there's risk associated with the jumping, because you can't just adjust with extra boosting mid jump. That's what made you feel the riskier jumps in your stomach. Not sure that can be replicated, if you have too much adjustment control in the air, as Infamous has proved time and again.

It's a balancing act for sure. That said, in the campaign you only unlock things like boost and triple jump as your agility skill progresses, so there's probably a nice sense of reward.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
i dont have a problem specifically with a normal lock on, like most MP games have auto aim to some level. i just want to have some degree of freedom with it so i could also destroy when i want.
but anyways it seems people want to focus on the clips so i will not bother you any longer. it does seem that you enjoy the game and that is completely fine. maybe the issue is just for me.

This is not the topic, but I have no clue what you are talking about. The lock on requires a button. You could play without lock on if you so desired. And when using your secondary weapons there are even moments during the game that I'd advise against using the lock on. You have to use the destruction in your tactical advantage.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
What?

How much did you actually play of the tech test?

You don't need to be locked on to shoot.

Watch this, I'm just shooting wherever I aim:

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

The issue is that you`re lying. Whether you played the test (doubt it) and is lying for whatever reason or your lie is about playing it, who knows, but youve been bitching about lock-on this entire time and your complaint simply isnt factual when lock-on is not enforced but triggered.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Wait so some of people thought lock-on is forced, when actually it's required player press the button to lock the target lol?

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
You've not been playing very good players then.

When you're playing against someone who knows how to move properly and effectively break line of sight it can become a real challenge.

I don't know if it will hold my interest for long too. But the four hours I've played so far were great fun. The difficult isn't in the aiming, it's in breaking lines of sight with movement or destruction. That's what makes it so different. If you are looking for a third party shooter experience, this game isn't going to bring what you want.

Don't think everyone is saying the game is GOTY-material. Just that it's actually quite fun.

It didn't click and it's just not for me.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
It's a balancing act for sure. That said, in the campaign you only unlock things like boost and triple jump as your agility skill progresses, so there's probably a nice sense of reward.

Yeah, I think that'll be the case.

I hope this does well, because replaying the first one and looking at videos of the third, it's abundantly clear that we need a Crackdown every generation. Even in a generation full of open world games it still feels different enough from the rest of the genre.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
That's literally exactly how it works.. this is why people don't believe that you played the game.

abady-25

Oct 27, 2017
What?

How much did you actually play of the tech test?

You don't need to be locked on to shoot.

Watch this, I'm just shooting wherever I aim:

if you don't want use it you will have disadvantage against others people in MP
because they will use it of course
so you will be force to use it anyway to compete with others players
this make less fun IMO

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hard pass on any of the MP I'm seeing, but I'll likely get it for the SP once I need a break from Anthem.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
if you don't want use it you will have disadvantage against others people in MP
because they will use it of course
so you will be force to use it anyway to compete with others players
this make less fun IMO
That's not the point.

modiz seems to believe that you can't shoot at all without being locked on.