• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I must say, i'm warming to CD3 with all these gifs. Fingers crossed, my gut feeling was completely misplaced.

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Played the demo and have to say I found it lackluster. The lock-on isn't fun.

And seriously... the destruction? It looks kinda cool the first time, but it's in no way shape or form impressive. Microsoft says this is the equivalent of 12 Xbox Ones, and that's pure unadulterated bullshit. There's nothing spectacular or "next gen" over this destruction. It felt like shooting at paper buildings that broke away in huge chunks. There are tons of games that have physical destruction like this that doesn't require the power of the cloud.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From Slicer Dyster

LegalKeyKatydid-size_restricted.gif

This kind of destruction is in the current build? Because that IGN thread about multiplayer made it seem much worse than this and the two guys in the video were being pretty disingenuous if this is the case.

jem

Oct 25, 2017

And seriously... the destruction? It looks kinda cool the first time, but it's in no way shape or form impressive. Microsoft says this is the equivalent of 12 Xbox Ones, and that's pure unadulterated bullshit. There's nothing spectacular or "next gen" over this destruction. It felt like shooting at paper buildings that broke away in huge chunks. There are tons of games that have physical destruction like this that doesn't require the power of the cloud.
I'd be very interested to see some examples which come even close to CD3's destruction.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Except there is not one single game on the market that offers similar online synchronized physical destruction in a 100% physical arena like Wrecking Zone does. Games like Battlefield do it in limited (technically speaking) and more visually pre-baked ways, while WZ does the physics calculation in real-time for every single chunk.

Last edited:

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
A common theme in pretty much every Crackdown thread is people not knowing what kind of game Crackdown is and trying to make it a typical 3rd person shooter.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

Not enjoying the lock-on is fine, but the rest of your post is objectively wrong.

Bricktop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, we played exactly this over the weekend. It can look even more crazy than that.

That thread was full of people shitting on the destruction, and even I thought it looked bad from watching them play and talk about it. And then I see this gif, which is pretty damn cool. It's interesting how people can skew opinions like that.

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Except there is not one single game on the market that offers similar online synchronized physical destruction like Wrecking Zone does. Games like Battlefield do it in very limited (technically speaking) and more pre-baked ways, while WZ does the physics calculation in real-time for every single chunk.

Sure it's a bit better, but it's not the "OMG ZOINKS LOOK AT THIS" marketing pr bull. The destruction in Red Faction Guerilla nine years ago was completely physics based for example.

tumblr_nfzbkilPku1r9ibuko8_400.gif

I adored CD1 and will play CD3 for its SP. Nothing made me want to continue playing MP.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
That thread was full of people shitting on the destruction, and even I thought it looked bad from watching them play and talk about it. And then I see this gif, which is pretty damn cool. It's interesting how people can skew opinions like that.
Different opinions make our planet more colorful. That's cool! :) You should just make your own mind.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Sure it's a bit better, but it's not the "OMG ZOINKS LOOK AT THIS" marketing pr bull. The destruction in Red Faction Guerilla nine years ago was completely physics based for example.

I adored CD1 and will play CD3 for its SP. Nothing made me want to continue playing MP.
Of course. Was it also synchronized to 9 other players in a medium to large arena?

Creating physics locally isn't something new. I think this is pretty much known. The new thing is to synchronize more physic calculations than one system can handle for online play in a (much) larger scale.

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
I still can't get over the aimbot part of the whole shooting mechanic. Where is the skill? How can you prove yourself better than your enemies if you just snap onto them?

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018

This is effectively House-of-cards destruction. The very definition of it. Nothing like Crackdown.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
It was only a matter of time before a RFG clip made its way into this thread. Era is a funny place.

I still can't get over the aimbot part of the whole shooting mechanic. Where is the skill? How can you prove yourself better than your enemies if you just snap onto them?

The game is not about "hey, I can shoot better than you". It's really about using your environment (destruction) and movement AND getting to shoot you when you are vulnerable position. That's something that I think people need to get over. It's not your typical shooter type of game, and going into it thinking that it is, is the reason for disappointment.

OP
OP
FUNKNOWN iXi

FUNKNOWN iXi

ā–² Legend ā–²
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The skill comes from the movement, map awareness, ability usage and ability cooldown management. For real, you can easily notice the difference between competent players even with just a few hours with the game. It's a night and day difference between players who are more reserved and those who are flying everywhere.

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really think they should have removed the lock-on entirely. Kind of defeats the whole point of PvP.

Yeah, no. I mean, imagine how dull the MP would be if there were no lock on. The "kill confirmed" mode from the test, I forgot what it was called, is a first to 25 wins. Remove lock on and each game would either end 7-3 or it would be full of plebs not using the mobility that sets the MP apart from other titles.

So pick.. do you want cool mobility allowing for some pretty sweet encounters, or do you want no lock on which means they nerf your mobility? I mean holy shit, imagine trying to hit with some of these weapons with no lock on LOL.

And I didn't even really enjoy the MP in the test. I think it does some things wrong, but one of the things it really does right is the mobility. However, I think the main problem this game will have is there will always just be people who don't use the mobility and will be fodder. Every match I played in the test was a huge lopsided win.

Bricktop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The same way people who can build really well in Fortnite do. I mean, if your game is based around aiming and shooting then that's where the skill gap lies. If it's based around building then shooting is less important. In Crackdown it seems movement, line of sight, and destruction will play a large role in separating people. People who just stand around and don't take advantage of the mechanics are going to get smoked.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Yeah, no. I mean, imagine how dull the MP would be if there were no lock on. The "kill confirmed" mode from the test, I forgot what it was called, is a first to 25 wins. Remove lock on and each game would either end 7-3 or it would be full of plebs not using the mobility that sets the MP apart from other titles.

So pick.. do you want cool mobility allowing for some pretty sweet encounters, or do you want no lock on which means they nerf your mobility? I mean holy shit, imagine trying to hit with some of these weapons with no lock on LOL.

And I didn't even really enjoy the MP in the test. I think it does some things wrong, but one of the things it really does right is the mobility. However, I think the main problem this game will have is there will always just be people who don't use the mobility and will be fodder. Every match I played in the test was a huge lopsided win.

In the four hours I played I had.. maybe 4 matches that ended really close. And those were the most fun. Winning 25-24 gives quite a thrill.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Think of Crackdown as less of a shooter and more of a platformer. That's where skill comes into play, and that's why this game is so refreshing.

yellow wallpaper

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I would love to see how many kills people would get without lock on. Good luck shooting at ants.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
It looks pretty fun. I'm thinking me not even loading up the test will be indicative of how little I play of it though. Between Anthem, Apex Legends, and the Crackdown campaign this multiplayer mode is gonna be buried under a skyscraper for me. The team had to have been crushed after trying to get this stuff right for years only to have Apex surprise release the week before. I'm still hyped as hell for the campaign though it all looks fantastic.

MAN_FLANNEL

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
This is the kind of game I need right now. Looking forward to making a mixed drink on Friday, turning off my brain and playing this.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was excited to try this out especially with all the positive impressions around here but after playing a few rounds I just found it pretty bland and janky, the destruction certainly didn't feel as impactful as it is in all these gifs, it almost feels like I was playing a different game because everyone else seems to be enjoying it and getting these big moments of destruction. I tried I think all the weapons in the demo and the only effective strategy I found to do was to lock-on/minigun other agents. I didn't get the "use the buildings for cover" concept because the characters didn't control fast enough and I just seemed to die too quickly, but I'm mostly attributing this to lack of experience with the game.

It also felt incredibly shallow in terms of multiplayer options/progression/etc... like something out of the early stages of Xbox Live, it seemed more like a fun little tech demo than a foundation for a potentially deep multiplayer experience.
Having a lack of parties at launch is a potential game killer..

I'll spend some more time with it when the final game launchs but based on my experience with it I doubt I'll spend much time with this portion of the game. Which given how much we've heard "cloud destruction" over the years is rather unfortunate.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
I'm soo ready for this. My type of game. Pure fun and fuckery.

Jealous I don't get to try the stress test. The 15 can't come soon enough

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Clip that i found on Game Hub for CD3, gif wasn't enough since the sound design for this weapon is really good imo.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's simply not true, which multiplayers offer all this destruction?

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
i dont have a problem specifically with a normal lock on, like most MP games have auto aim to some level. i just want to have some degree of freedom with it so i could also destroy when i want.
but anyways it seems people want to focus on the clips so i will not bother you any longer. it does seem that you enjoy the game and that is completely fine. maybe the issue is just for me.

Which you can .. Let me explain ,

1) Look at something
2) Shoot
3) Boom
4) **Destruction**

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
It does seem quite fun! And as mentioned, the sound design is great.
Eh, as as someone who's played Quake, Tribes and UT, I think aiming would be fine with a mouse. Crackdown is pretty slow and floaty. Really wouldn't be that hard to hit people. If Crackdown 3 allows it, I'm definitely playing without lock-on on PC.
Yeah definitely, with mouse it's fine (haven't personally played the game tbf). But with controller, yikes (I'm bad with a controller).
That's simply not true, which multiplayers offer all this destruction?
I think Battlefield 1 has quite a lot to destroy, but even in that it's actually quite limited. You can blow off many walls but can't collapse the entire building (select buildings you can).

Last edited:

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
I wish I had a good before and after pic of the level at the start of the match versus the end. It is kind of crazy to see how much the level changes during the course of one match.