• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cavsfan767

Alt-Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
I thought the embargo was lifted on the 11th? Ah well. The SP looks to be similar to C1 so I'm pumped. The whole destruction thing doesnt interest me but does look fun.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
I was excited to try this out especially with all the positive impressions around here but after playing a few rounds I just found it pretty bland and janky, the destruction certainly didn't feel as impactful as it is in all these gifs, it almost feels like I was playing a different game because everyone else seems to be enjoying it and getting these big moments of destruction. I tried I think all the weapons in the demo and the only effective strategy I found to do was to lock-on/minigun other agents. I didn't get the "use the buildings for cover" concept because the characters didn't control fast enough and I just seemed to die too quickly, but I'm mostly attributing this to lack of experience with the game.

It also felt incredibly shallow in terms of multiplayer options/progression/etc... like something out of the early stages of Xbox Live, it seemed more like a fun little tech demo than a foundation for a potentially deep multiplayer experience.
Having a lack of parties at launch is a potential game killer..

I'll spend some more time with it when the final game launchs but based on my experience with it I doubt I'll spend much time with this portion of the game. Which given how much we've heard "cloud destruction" over the years is rather unfortunate.
Yeah you had the same problem I did when I first started. I had free time so I literally played the test from opening to end, it took my a while to figure out how to USE the destruction instead of just blowing things up for the sake of it. There's definitely strategic advantages you get from knowing where to shoot a hole in the wall while carefully dashing through it to not hit a corner of it and fall to the ground and I'm sure your aware that the ground means your just going to die lol. The game only get as fun as the players your fighting, so if everyone's on the ground like I've seen some teams do then you'll just get murdered by us, the better player, because where 5 stories above you shooting rockets at you and finishing it off with a few shots from a pistol, then grab the tags, RB boost up to highest point and rinse and repeat. If you had any of those type of matches then yeah, you just need to get a little better at using the explosiveness of the game a little more, an example being this clip. Wish I could've gotten more but my dvr was fucked. https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ah1NjisBAu-rmhKMDSYq_ER-u92y also if anyone can tell me how to make gifs an all that with a thumbnail on an iPhone that'd be great, thanks lol. Longevity could be problem tbh, but if they have a good progression system with the millions of guns already in the game then I can see it at least being enhancing in that aspect. Like please for the love of god the black hole gun NEEDS to be in multiplayer.

Nekrono

May 17, 2018
I find that insane lock-on mechanic to be a huge turn off, what's the point then? Just jump around the map trying to get behind people?

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
I find that insane lock-on mechanic to be a huge turn off, what's the point then? Just jump around the map trying to get behind people?
People have already said this, but I will reiterate. The game is not so much about reflex shooting, but rather movement, line of sight, positioning, etc. Aiming through normal means in this game would be ridiculous as people zip all over the place, change direction rapidly, and engagement distances can be pretty far so characters are relatively tiny on the screen. Plus, people know if you are locked onto them so it is not like you are just holding L and then pressing R. If someone knows you are locked onto them they will try to move to increase distance (braking lock on) or seek cover behind buildings.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish I had a good before and after pic of the level at the start of the match versus the end. It is kind of crazy to see how much the level changes during the course of one match.
I have one "after" here, but another building went down before the end, was a long game, everyone shooting at buildings to collapse them :D

MGmWMlP.jpg

Nekrono

May 17, 2018
People have already said this, but I will reiterate. The game is not so much about reflex shooting, but rather movement, line of sight, positioning, etc. Aiming through normal means in this game would be ridiculous as people zip all over the place, change direction rapidly, and engagement distances can be pretty far so characters are relatively tiny on the screen. Plus, people know if you are locked onto them so it is not like you are just holding L and then pressing R. If someone knows you are locked onto them they will try to move to increase distance (braking lock on) or seek cover behind buildings.
If you played the game you'd know a lock on was essential.
I see, I never played the original and only heard of it, I just know there's a big emphasis on destruction, I guess I have to play it myself but usually lock on mechanics are a big turn off for me.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I see, I never played the original and only heard of it, I just know there's a big emphasis on destruction, I guess I have to play it myself but usually lock on mechanics are a big turn off for me.
An important thing to remember about this game is that it's not a shooter. It's an action platformer.

If you go in expecting a third person shooter experience you're not going to enjoy it.

The game revolves around the movement mechanics. It's all about positioning, managing your boost/jumps, breaking lines of sight etc.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
It's an Aerial Game of hide and seek with quad launchers and other high big boom armaments.

Team work wins. The lone wolves become pack fodder.

The better man is the smarter player, who at the drop of the dime, with all the myriad control options avaiable, chooses not only the right one, but employs it at just the right moment.

I can tell the people commenting who haven't played it, or haven't got a handle on the control scheme, because it is far from boring or shallow. One poster gave footage of his play and he didn't use the dash or the supers, which puts the game on haitus and makes you easy to die.

Comming from many hours of the first two crackdowns, combined with familiarity of ReCores's jump dash and Sunset Overdrive's whirly bird nature - I was soon at home, flying around - and comming down like a hawk to snatch ya badges.

And Now that i think about it -i realize that escaping death is better that dealing it.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Can you switch targets whilst targeting now? Re playing Crackdown 1 I forgot about annoying the targeting system could be.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
Yeah, no. I mean, imagine how dull the MP would be if there were no lock on. The "kill confirmed" mode from the test, I forgot what it was called, is a first to 25 wins. Remove lock on and each game would either end 7-3 or it would be full of plebs not using the mobility that sets the MP apart from other titles.

So pick.. do you want cool mobility allowing for some pretty sweet encounters, or do you want no lock on which means they nerf your mobility? I mean holy shit, imagine trying to hit with some of these weapons with no lock on LOL.

And I didn't even really enjoy the MP in the test. I think it does some things wrong, but one of the things it really does right is the mobility. However, I think the main problem this game will have is there will always just be people who don't use the mobility and will be fodder. Every match I played in the test was a huge lopsided win.

So even with the lock-on, newbs aren't using the mobility. If that's already the case, why not give the option for no lock-on matchmaking? Once upon a time, there was a game called Tribes. It was similar to Crackdown in that players had tons of mobility and most engagements occurred at medium or long range. Tribes didn't have any lock-on and it worked great! One of my favorite games, actually.

I understand that gamepads suck at vertical aiming (or aiming in general) which is why this should just be an option. On PC, players can aim pretty easily.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So even with the lock-on, newbs aren't using the mobility. If that's already the case, why not give the option for no lock-on matchmaking? Once upon a time, there was a game called Tribes. It was similar to Crackdown in that players had tons of mobility and most engagements occurred at medium or long range. Tribes didn't have any lock-on and it worked great! One of my favorite games, actually.

I understand that gamepads suck at vertical aiming (or aiming in general) which is why this should just be an option. On PC, players can aim pretty easily.

You played CD3?
I don't see how it will work without Lock on.

I mean, yeah you might get a kill here and there. But thats not the point of the game.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD

You bring this up but I would say the main point that differs between tribes and crackdown is verticality. There is certainly some verticality in tribes but I don't think it is to the same degree as crackdown. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't tribes mostly rolling hills whereas crackdown is mostly city like environments with multilevel led buildings? That is why I would say, at least on console for sure, the lockon is necessary. Even if you remove lockon on pc I think that changes the meta of the game quite a bit, whether that is for better or worse I cannot say on that platform.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
In Tribes the maps are spacious and the high mobility is more horizontally-focused, and Titanfall's TTK is low enough that it's not an issue. Crackdown has more rapid movement in all directions in smaller spaces. It wouldn't be impossible, but it would be difficult, especially for controller users.

Tribes with a controller is pretty rough to be fair, at least against PC players, but I don't think it's so different. Tribes mobility is also very vertical at times. That's the difficulty, landing aerial shots in tribes is hard.

And I have no issue with bullet magnetism, and such. It's just explicit lock-on. If it's too hard to remain fun, then assist the player, don't make it feel like you're taking control away from them.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
I missed out on trying out Crackdown 3, but at least it will be great to finally play it this week. Hopefully it will do well enough to continue the trend of great games we are getting in 2019.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
Tribes with a controller is pretty rough to be fair, at least against PC players, but I don't think it's so different. Tribes mobility is also very vertical at times. That's the difficulty, landing aerial shots in tribes is hard.

And I have no issue with bullet magnetism, and such. It's just explicit lock-on. If it's too hard to remain fun, then assist the player, don't make it feel like you're taking control away from them.
Same for me, also don't like the the general world-design.
Destroying buildings sounds neat, but those empty, thin structures aren't even proper buildings.
No furniture, no doors, just empty shells.

BUT i want to try it though, it's certainly unique and maybe I'll like it in the end.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
Yeah, no. I mean, imagine how dull the MP would be if there were no lock on. The "kill confirmed" mode from the test, I forgot what it was called, is a first to 25 wins. Remove lock on and each game would either end 7-3 or it would be full of plebs not using the mobility that sets the MP apart from other titles.

So pick.. do you want cool mobility allowing for some pretty sweet encounters, or do you want no lock on which means they nerf your mobility? I mean holy shit, imagine trying to hit with some of these weapons with no lock on LOL.

And I didn't even really enjoy the MP in the test. I think it does some things wrong, but one of the things it really does right is the mobility. However, I think the main problem this game will have is there will always just be people who don't use the mobility and will be fodder. Every match I played in the test was a huge lopsided win.
This, when I see people say lockdown shouldn't be necessary it's 9 times out of 10 because they played matches like Ryan McCaffrey being 90% on the ground like it's call of duty instead of having air battles seeing who can out strafe and out Maneuver Who first. Auto lock makes it so when you DO have those type of battles your not boosting in circles in mid air like where'd he go which STILL happens anyway. Noobs man I tell ya, they're the worst lol.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
easy.
a game with 2 or possibly even 3 teams. each with their own area.
each area has a bunch of multi-floor buildings and in some of these floors lies an object that you need to destroy. those objects will be placed at random in those buildings.
this sounds like a generic game however, the tools of destruction the players are given makes this game much different than any other, as you can approach the task from a few directions. you can search for it directly, or destroy the base of the buidling, thus creating several levels for the game where you character needs to constantly move to between these different approaches, between attacking and defending etc.
also i can see using the mobility as well for possibly moving the object to another building manualy which will have a risk reward with the mechanics.

in general there is so much you can do with destruction in games, and i now see most are enjoying this game so i am sorry if anyone felt i was arguing for no reason, i just wished that it could be something that connects the destruction more.... directly into the gameplay.

so your words are fact and i am just spouting lies? because i really did play the technical test.... but i guess whatever suits you.
I think unfortunately hunting and killing are never going to stray from the realm of primary multiplayer modes

What you're suggesting sounds great but it would never be a flagship mode

Did you play any Rainbow Six Siege? It's pretty much what you're describing, including the destructability

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This is effectively House-of-cards destruction. The very definition of it. Nothing like Crackdown.

Except it isn't. You can tear off any part of that building or any other building. It's completely physics based.

My point isn't that the destruction in CD3 is shit. It's that for me it was really underwhelming after six years of hyping it up. Red Faction-ish destruction online isn't really hot shit for me in 2019, no matter how "impressive" the tech running it is (apparently syncronizing ok destruction is impressive). It feels unnecessary and tacked on. I'll play the SP and probably like it a lot, this MP was mediocre at best for me.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Except it isn't. You can tear off any part of that building or any other building. It's completely physics based.

My point isn't that the destruction in CD3 is shit. It's that for me it was really underwhelming after six years of hyping it up. Red Faction-ish destruction online isn't really hot shit for me in 2019, no matter how "impressive" the tech running it is (apparently syncronizing ok destruction is impressive). It feels unnecessary and tacked on. I'll play the SP and probably like it a lot, this MP was mediocre at best for me.
Sorry to hear that. I disagree.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
This makes no sense to me or anyone else who has played the game.

Here's me bringing down two buildings without using lock on.

Thats fucking nuts! I dont care how many times you see a building topple over in this game, it takes your breath away - like, Hooolyyyy!

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
This might be ranfom but I can start preloading this thing? What's the download size yall?

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
You bring this up but I would say the main point that differs between tribes and crackdown is verticality. There is certainly some verticality in tribes but I don't think it is to the same degree as crackdown. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't tribes mostly rolling hills whereas crackdown is mostly city like environments with multilevel led buildings? That is why I would say, at least on console for sure, the lockon is necessary. Even if you remove lockon on pc I think that changes the meta of the game quite a bit, whether that is for better or worse I cannot say on that platform.

Tribes 1 has more verticality than any other shooter ever made. You can literally launch yourself so high that you can't even see the ground anymore.

But yes, lock-on should be an option regardless of control scheme. It's definitely more important for gamepads than MKB but I think playing on MKB without lock-on would be a deeper and more rewarding experience. Not only would you need to master movement but aiming as well, something that 90's shooters like Quake and Tribes were all about.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Can folks who played the test elaborate a bit about the 'super' ability that seems to be ready (LB+RB) in this gif? Is there a single super for all agents or do they get different?

It's called Overdrive, it gives a temporary boost to specific skills. In the test there were two different flavours, one that gives a boost to Agility and Firearms, and another for Strength and Explosives. Once you fill up your Overdrive meter (by killing other players, destroying buildings or collecting Overdrive orbs), the game chooses one of the boosts at random, which you can then activate at will.

SublimeAnarky

Oct 27, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
It's called Overdrive, it gives a temporary boost to specific skills. In the test there were two different flavours, one that gives a boost to Agility and Firearms, and another for Strength and Explosives. Once you fill up your Overdrive meter (by killing other players, destroying buildings or collecting Overdrive orbs), the game chooses one of the boosts at random, which you can then activate at will.

Thanks. So the super your character is assigned changes with every round and is random? That's seems like a weird design choice.