• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
https://youtu.be/cZsaFPN0IrA

As the topic of accessibility in games has come up of late, with Microsoft being particularly praised and Nintendo lambasted for their respective attitudes on the Adaptive Controller - MS making the damn thing, Nintendo apparently refusing to collaborate - it seemed interesting then to learn that someone had actually found a workaround. It's by no means an elegant solution, but it means there are options if one wants to play Nintendo titles but can't make use of their typical control schemes.

Edit:
Short summary:
-Enable the Switch to run the pro controller wired
-Use a Magic-NS adapter, set appropriately
-This will convert the signal as it does an Xbox controller
-Voila, Adaptive Controller runs (sometimes, per the video maker) on Switch
-Does require quite a bit of calibration

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Makes sense that this would work. It's just an X-input controller, like any normal Xbone controller, so any X-input to Switch Pro Controller adapter would allow the Adaptive Controller to work.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Microsoft said they'd work with anyone including Sony and Nintendo with their adaptive controller tech. Those other companies really need to get on board to make a native solution possible.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft said they'd work with anyone including Sony and Nintendo with their adaptive controller tech. Those other companies really need to get on board to make a native solution possible.

I think Nintendo needs to include options in every game to play without motion controls to start. I get there are things they would like to do with their hardware but it excludes people from playing unfortunately.

Oct 25, 2017
this was already known (or at least assumed) the issue with the switch is games that have required motion controls

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
It was always a dream for Bluetooth to open the floodgates for cross-system controller compatibility, and it's awesome that the Switch can apparently work with almost any gamepad!

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I've always heard about the controller, I've seen the commercials and what-not, but something about this video made me just watch it until the end. I could easily imagine someone setting this up for someone who can't use the small thumbsticks and it really made me appreciate the controller more than I did before.

Great thing to have in the industry.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
This is cool but I wouldn't call buying a USB Xbox/PS4 controller adapter a workaround. Seems like that's exactly what it's supposed to do.

Disorientator

Oct 27, 2017
Cyprus
Wait, so if a Switch racing game supports using one of the analog sticks for gas, could you potentially use an analog pedal/other analog/variable contraption (which can be detected as axis) in one of the left/right stick USB ports as an -expensive- workaround to Switch's lack of analog triggers?

Damn interesting device otherwise - props to Microsoft!

Last edited:
OP
OP
JonnyDBrit

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so if a Switch racing game supports using one of the analog sticks for gas, could you potentially use an analog pedal/other analog/variable contraption (which can be detected as axis) in one of the left/right stick USB ports as an -expensive- workaround to Switch's lack of analog triggers?

Damn interesting device otherwise - props to Microsoft!

Potentially so. Actual support is likely going to be down to testing it for real

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fairly certain this works with anything from Switch to PS4 and PC.

Micosoft's many innovation and tech awards for this amazing product this year is well deserved. Better than anything Sony and Nintendo has ever developed hardware wise.

Martl

Oct 30, 2017
Austria
With an adapter you can use every controller on every console nowadays. Used the elite on my PS4 before a got a Scuf.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is no different than getting an xbox controller working on a PS4/Switch. You need a separate adapter to use it. The whole title seems like it would be native.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
This works on PS4 and PC too. X1 controller works with practically everything.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
With an adapter you can use every controller on every console nowadays. Used the elite on my PS4 before a got a Scuf.
Yeah, there's nothing in particular special happening here in regards to the Adaptive Controller specifically. Controller adapters in general are pretty common, especially for the Switch.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, there's nothing in particular special happening here in regards to the Adaptive Controller specifically. Controller adapters in general are pretty common, especially for the Switch.

They sure are, there's a very good selection.

These videos are useful though as often people don't know which adapter to buy or how to set it up.