• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
turokot4ajfl.png
HD Remaster Developed & Published By: Nightdive Studios
Switch Physical Version Publisher: Limited Run Games
Original Game By: Iguana Entertainment & Acclaim
Genre: Fog Person Shooter starring Dinosaurs & Aliens
Original N64 Releases: Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (1997) | Turok 2: Seeds of Evil (1998)

Platforms: Nintendo Switch (already available on PC and Xbox One)
Release Date (digital): Turok - March 18, 2019 | Turok 2 - August 9, 2019
LRG Pre-Order Window (physical): August 16 - August 30, 2019
Switch Version LRG Release: Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (US$29.99) | Turok 2: Seeds of Evil (US$29.99)

Multiplayer: Turok 1 - None | Turok 2 - coming in a future update (online only, no local or splitscreen options planned)
Gyro-Assisted Aiming: Yes!! (optional, of course)
Video Capture Support: Yes
Frames per FPS: ~60, six-oh
Pees: Turok - 1080p TV | 720p Handheld ## Turok 2 - 720p TV & Handheld
Soundtracks: Both the N64 and PC OSTs are included
Nintendo Switch Pro Controller Support: Yes
Languages: German, English, Spanish, French, Italian

eShop Turok - Dinosaur Hunter: EU | US | CA | AU | NZ (261.10 MB)
eShop Turok 2 - Seeds of Evil: EU | US | CA | AU | NZ (596.64 MB)
Price (Turok): US$19.99 US$14.99 | CA$25.19 CA$18.89 | €17.59 €13.19 | £15.79 £11.84 | AU$26.40 AU$19.80 | NZ$29.05 NZ$21.78
Price (Turok 2): US$19.99 US$16.99 | CA$25.19 CA$21.41 | €17.59 €14.95 | £15.79 £13.42 | AU$26.40 AU$22.44 | NZ$29.05
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter is 25% OFF from August 09 until August 16! (EU eShop only so far?)
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil has a launch week 15% OFF discount from August 09 until August 16!

Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
nswitchds_turok_06osku7.jpg
nswitchds_turok_03hrk0w.jpg
The Lost Land...

A world where time has no meaning - and evil knows no bounds. Torn from a world long gone, the time traveling warrior Turok has found himself thrust into a savage land torn by conflict. An evil overlord known as 'The Campaigner' seeks to shred the fabric of time and rule the universe using an ancient artifact known as 'The Chronoscepter'.

The Chronoscepter was shattered thousands of years ago in an effort to keep it from falling into evil hands. The Campaigner has constructed a massive focusing array which he plans to use to magnify and pervert the power of the Chronoscepter in order to shatter the barriers between the ages and rule the universe. Turok has vowed to find the eight pieces of the Chronoscepter spread throughout the Lost Land and put an end to The Campaigner's evil plot...

Cheats:
If you want to dance with the enemies in a wild disco of blinking textures, fret not. Such pleasures can be yours with these cheats. Some of them also unlock while progressing through the game but not all of them. Activating one or multiple cheats will disable achievements. You can unlock them with the code without them activating if you're worried about that. There is no "unlock all" master cheat for the first game like there is for Turok 2.

The Big Cheat NTHGTHDGDCRTDTRK (oN THe eiGhTH Day GoD CReaTeD TuRoK)
Enables cheats for Invincibility, Spirit Mode, All Weapons, Unlimited Ammo, Unlimited Lives, Full Map, Big Head Mode, and Level and Boss Warps.
After entering this one, you will have all of the following (white text) cheats unlocked and need to manually punch in the rest. I've compiled the remaining ones below.
68404108_245075552187lbjir.jpg

(click to view full size)

All Keys THSCKSTFTHSHSCK
Gives the player all keys

Fly Mode LKMBRD (LooK iM a BiRD)
Enables noclip. Up/Down movement is controlled by the Jump/Map buttons, respectively.

Dana's Code DNCHN (DaNa CoHeN)
Enables cheats for Tiny Enemies Mode and Show Credits.

Rhia Jam FJHJJ or Amy Jam GLTBNK
Both enable cheats for Purdy Colors and Disco Mode.

Show Enemies NSTHMNDNT (Now you See THeM Now you DoNT)
Enemies appear as red arrows on the map.

Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
nswitchds_turok2seedsypkep.jpg
nswitchds_turok2seedsskk1r.jpg
Having defeated the Campaigner, Turok throws the Chronocepter into a waiting volcano to destroy it. Unfortunately the blast awakens an even deadlier force - The Primagen. Once again a Turok is tasked with restoring peace to the land and stopping the Primagen from merging Earth with the nether world.

The Dinosaur Hunter Returns

Turok 2 has in-fighting! Who knew?
BetterPossibleGrison-size_restricted.gif
tumblr_omxgyix6Jp1r7sijxo1_400.gif
turok2tunnel39wjfa.gif
giphy.gif

Cheats:
All cheats are supported with such classics as Big Head Mode, Pen and Ink Mode, Thin Enemies, no textures, rainbow lights, level select, all weapons etc. You can turn them off and on in the cheat menu (turning them on disabled achievements, unlocking them with the code does not activate them and thus does not disable the achievements). Instead of typing them all in by hand, you can just type in the big master cheat BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND that unlocks them all so you can select them from the list at your convenience. Several of them would otherwise be unlocked while completing levels/defeating bosses during the game. Info taken from the Turok wiki at https://turok.fandom.com/wiki/Cheat_codes.

This could be you:

Here's a list of all the available cheats (some basic ones like infinite lives and ammo are cut off at the top).
ebkaysuu0ae3y-636kfn.jpg

(click to see full size)

"Juan's Cheat" adds the face of Juan Gaspar to all Life Force tokens and causes red Life Force tokens to become larger. Juan was the winner of a contest held in Nintendo Power Vol. 95. "Zach Attack Cheat" adds the face of baby Zach to all gold Life Force tokens and turns all gold Life Force tokens blue.

Turok 2 on Switch
At launch, there is no multiplayer included with the Nintendo Switch release of Turok 2. However, trusty voices from the KEX programming team have told us in the pre-release thread that they are currently rewriting the netcode which will serve as the basis for some form of online multiplayer for the Switch version (and presumably also benefit the Xbox One release, please correct me if I'm wrong).
Splitscreen is unlikely. The multiplayer is based on the original PC version and requires a frankly absurd about of CPU power to draw out the scene due to the more complex maps, we couldn't even get it working properly on the Xbox.
As for why no network multiplayer, we are actually in the process of rewriting netcode so it's only temporary (although there's currently no timeline). The existing netcode we wrote turned out to be quite unstable on wifi at times so I'm rewrite some chunks of its core logic to use delta frames exclusively (thus packetloss resilient as the next frame will contain all the same data) and backporting some improvements that have developed since Forsaken and Blood:FS.
I actually meant online multiplayer but your enthusiasm is noted. I personally really want to do local multiplayer, it's however it's a bit complicated to do given how Nightdive is situated. We programmers are situated around the world, not in a central location. I'm in New Zealand myself, the others are spread amongst the UK and US, not even in the same state.
Wait so you're saying there is some form of the MP still in the Switch version after all?
That's the plan, just not on launch.

Regarding performance:
Correct. Each part of geometry is another drawcall the engine needs to construct for the GPU. On the N64 this was relatively straightforward because the game it self basically was the GPU driver. Here, because of the more complex API and the extended draw distance, the setup is both much larger and more complex.
We've mitigated that somewhat in Turok2 on the Switch as we've ported the renderer to Vulkan, which has removed some of the API overhead. Can't promise it'll be perfect but it certainly seemed to be holding 60 more consistently.

Digital Foundry Analysis of Turok: Dinosaur Hunter

Limited Run Games Physical Release

Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (US$29.99) | Turok 2: Seeds of Evil (US$29.99)

What's Next, Nightdive? Let's Dream Big!
turok3oty0jk8.png

turokrwot0qjgr.png

Last edited:

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Next is No One Lives Forever... you said "Let's Dream Big!"

Anyway, the first Turok is quite interesting because of its very different gameplay structure compared to modern FPS but it's only an average game.

Turok 2 on the other hand is a top-tier FPS that is better than most shooters released in the past 10 years.

Rockodile

Dec 7, 2018
Gonna preorder physical copies as soon as I can. Turok was the first N64 game I ever owned.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Turok is great. Turok 2 is fucking sublime, almost like a proto Metroid Prime in its level-design.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
I have many fond memories of playing 4-player "co-op" Turok 2 on the N64, and yelling at my friends not to use any explosive weapons, or the game would slow to a crawl.

Of course, using RPGs was the first thing everyone did as soon as loading the level.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I need more Nightdive remasters on Switch. Forsaken with gyro controls. Blood. System Shock. Motherfucking STRIFE. I need them. Especially Strife.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
man i used to love turok 2 so much. cant believe its coming to switch lol. same with doom! what a world. great system.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
I might be alone here but I would like to see a switch HD port of Armorines (N64).
Everyone (seriously, everyone) hated the game back then but I loved the hell out of it. I just like blasting bugs.

but what do I know... I am also the only person on this planet who finished (yes) and enjoyed Daikatana on my N64

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I never played these as a kid even though I was vaguely aware of them because we didn't get a lot of new games and we already had Goldeneye as far as shooters go, but I'm definitely interested in trying out the first one after watching the DF Retro video. Just waiting on a sale 'cause I have too much stuff going on already to download the game at the full price.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I might be alone here but I would like to see a switch HD port of Armorines (N64).
Everyone (seriously, everyone) hated the game back then but I loved the hell out of it. I just like blasting bugs.

but what do I know... I am also the only person on this planet who finished (yes) and enjoyed Daikatana on my N64
I've always wanted to check out both. I have a weird fondness for these kinds of games.

How was the Turok 1 port (since 2 isn't out yet)?
There's a full DF video in the OP, man :)

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Nah, the "PC port" thing is purely incidental. Remember that at least two games we have done thus far (Strife:VE and Blood:FS) were based on having no source code at all and instead having to work from a disassembly, so them being PC games was irrelevant anyway.
Rage Wars in fact was directly based on Turok2's code, but with the mesh collision replaced with BSP, code wise that's not a bad place to start. So no, it being an N64 only title isn't a problem there.
What about Turok 3? Since it never had a PC port, is it possible to do a remaster on PC/newer consoles?.

Also, i already own these two titles on Steam, but ill be picking these up from LRG next week.
That the post you're replying is already the answer to your question :)

Thought that was announced already. Could be wrong though
It wasn't.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Man I would love a Netplay Rage Wars.

I still play it from time to time, my game was always bugged and just wipes itself so I never unlocked all the characters. Been tempted to buy another copy and try again but it sounds like you've done some digging into Rage Wars code.

So I uh will wait and see :)

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Already own them on PC but will get the switch versions only to have a new physical turok game in hands. Let's hope one of these days 3 and rage wars happen, hell even evolution.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
These games had incredible animation for the N64/PSX era. Very underrated.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I NEED Turok2, the added multi would complete the package so perfectly!
A bit sad no couch co op is possible but still fantastic that it is finally there!

Rage Wars and Turok 3 definitely should be next!

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
That OT name is pretty hot.

I'm #teamfog. I can do a bit of an extended draw distance but going all the way totally kills it for me. I need at least some fog.

I already got this on PC but honestly quit on the second stage cuz I missed 1 key and then I was kinda like fuck this after running through the stage again and still not finding it.

Stage 2 is a huge maze. IIRC I always had a problem with stage 2.

Great game but the maziness is a problem.

Will report back once I get the Switch version.

I e-begged Nightdive for years for a switch port of Turok 2. You're welcome lol.

I've been e-begging Nightdive to do Shadowman on Switch.

If it happens I will shed tears of joy. Shadowman is one of my favorite games of all time.

Last edited:

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, the physical comes with a manual? I think that may push me over the edge to get the physical version.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely want to check out 2, haven't played it since way back when it came out. Remember the visuals being mind blowing (especially screen shots in magazines). $30 is pretty steep though. I'll probably wait for a discount.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I have a very specific question: I like dinosaurs. I think Turok 2 looks more interesting Gameplay wise than turok 1 and I don't want to spend 40€ for both games.
Are there dinosaurs in turok 2?

What is your favorite dinosaur ERA?

(I think the worst thing about being an adult is that people don't ask me anymore what my favorite dinosaur is and instead ask bullshit like "when will you have kids" or "what will you do after university". I don't want to talk about that stuff. I want to talk about Dinosaurs goddammit)

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
I have a very specific question: I like dinosaurs. I think Turok 2 looks more interesting Gameplay wise than turok 1 and I don't want to spend 40€ for both games.

What is your favorite dinosaur ERA?

(I think the worst thing about being an adult is that people don't ask me anymore what my favorite dinosaur is and instead ask bullshit like "when will you have kids" or "what will you do after university". I don't want to talk about that stuff. I want to talk about Dinosaurs goddammit)
You fight dinosaurs in Turok 2 within the opening 5 minutes. Stage 2 has you ride a triceratops.

Definitely want to check out 2, haven't played it since way back when it came out. Remember the visuals being mind blowing (especially screen shots in magazines). $30 is pretty steep though. I'll probably wait for a discount.

$30 is for the LRG release. It's $20 digital.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

If you're in the US, it's $20.
IIRC, there are more dinosaurs in Turok 2 than the first. Someone can correct me if I'm mistaken. I just finished the 3rd level of the first game and I've mainly been fighting dudes with guns and melee stuff. Only dinos so far have been raptors.

Pretty sure I remember one of these games letting you ride around on a triceratops with guns mounted on it, but I don't remember which one. It has been a long time.

Edit: others above have it covered.

Jan 4, 2018
When I played Turok 2 as a kid, I never got past the first level because it was too hard and these dinosaurs were too scary. But I remember it had an epic music.

MizneyWorld

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Turok 1 has more "classic" dinos (some with syfy upgrades) than Turok 2. T2 goes for more evolved Dino/lizard/man hybrids with a few classic dinos here and there.

I played thru both a few years back on Xbox One and, gameplay wise, I was surprised that I enjoyed T1 better. Both great & fun but, in sort of a Banjo Kazooie to Tootie way, T2 can be a bit too big for its britches. HUGE levels with various collectibles that you must find, tho the option to highlight collectibles helps.

I'd say get both but, if only one, don't overlook the first Turok.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
When I played Turok 2 as a kid, I never got past the first level because it was too hard and these dinosaurs were too scary. But I remember it had an epic music.

The PC music is waaaaay better. Was an absolute joy playing T2 with the PC music after all these years.

Both great & fun but, in sort of a Banjo Kazooie to Tootie way, T2 can be a bit too big for its britches. HUGE levels with various collectibles that you must find, tho the option to highlight collectibles helps.

I'd say get both but, if only one, don't overlook the first Turok.

This pretty much.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I have fond memories of getting this game for Christmas 1998 and playing it all winter break, it ended up being one of my favorite N64 games.
I'm really tempted to get this game on the Switch, but I already have the PC port they did a couple years ago so I might just stick with that one until this goes on sale later on.