• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Been playing for about an hour.

Wasn't a fan of the gyro aiming so I turned it off, but other than that it's been fun

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I loved this game so much!

The music of the last stage is one of my favorite ever.

Can't wait for Turok 2, I was obsessed by that game during the pre-release. But I couldn't finish it properly, I stopped at the hive of the mantids.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
why can't I view the real eShop in a browser in Australia? I just wanted to see the price.
the US eShop looks like it works fine, I'm jealous

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I had a friend who was OBSESSED with Turok 2.

Like he had every level and secret memorized and apparently it had fairly complex levels with multiple routes (from what he told me, I never played it much).

My favorite memory of Turok 1 was turning on cheat codes and using the ridiculously powerful weapons on the first level. My favorite was the one that hit the enemies, froze them into rock, then made them explode.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I had a friend who was OBSESSED with Turok 2.

Like he had every level and secret memorized and apparently it had fairly complex levels with multiple routes (from what he told me, I never played it much).

My favorite memory of Turok 1 was turning on cheat codes and using the ridiculously powerful weapons on the first level. My favorite was the one that hit the enemies, froze them into rock, then made them explode.
Unless I'm mistaken, I think cheats work on this version too, right?

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Watched a let's play and had to nope out. I bought this game for the N64 due to the lack of really anything to play back in 1997, but the bobbing motion made me motion sick. I remember playing through this with a massive headache (caused by playing) and sort of dropped it after a few hours.;

The head bobbing and strafe-tilting can be turned off. It was giving me a headache as wel.

Unless I'm mistaken, I think cheats work on this version too, right?

Yup! There are two menus: one for entering the old codes and another with a list of cheats you can toggle off and on. If you do use cheats, achievements will be turned off.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoying this game. It's so damn free and fluid. It's not even great design, it's just very playable and responsive. The hit boxes are ludicrous in a fun way. I beat the shit out of it 22 years ago.

PSA: cheats are immediately available but don't, the game isn't hard.

I wish I could figure out how to throw grenade though. Not buttons seem to work.

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia
Bought it, i really recommend it:

*Size is tiny: 200 MB.
*Has his own Achievements menu
*You can adjust 3 FOV values (47.5, 74 or 90 degrees)
*Gyro controls can be set on/off and its intensity customisable.
*Extended view (less fog) can be set on/off.
*Modern post-process settings can be disabled (no sun-shafts available because being pretty demanding, though)
*Head bobbing is highly customisable like in PC version. Weapon bobbing has an optional less agressive option.
*Controls are remapable and camera sensivity adjustable.
*Looks crispy and runs like a dream in both handheld and docked modes with some small framerate dips due to how the game works (samuel villarreal explained it pretty well on NightDive's Discord).

And I think that's all.

Thanks for the review. It seems like it checks all the boxes to qualify for a good port/remaster 👌

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game is awesome and one of the best "Doom clones" ever. I find it to be the best in the series too.

It really makes you feel like a warrior going into a land with no time destroying and saving everything. That speed is amazing.

Definitely getting this once I get a Switch. First game I will play even though I have it on PC.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Really enjoying this game. It's so damn free and fluid. It's not even great design, it's just very playable and responsive. The hit boxes are ludicrous in a fun way. I beat the shit out of it 22 years ago.

PSA: cheats are immediately available but don't, the game isn't hard.

I wish I could figure out how to throw grenade though. Not buttons seem to work.

I don't think you can throw grenades, only the shoot them via the grenade launcher.

Link the Hero

Jul 5, 2018
Too bad there probably won't be a port of Turok 3. But that game is very different from the first to, so it doesn't surprise me.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Watched a let's play and had to nope out. I bought this game for the N64 due to the lack of really anything to play back in 1997, but the bobbing motion made me motion sick. I remember playing through this with a massive headache (caused by playing) and sort of dropped it after a few hours.;
there's a screenshot of the options screen a few posts above you with "head bobbing options" highlighted in there. two posts higher up is another poster mentioning how customizable the head-bob is.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
You also have a choice between the n64 soundtrack and the pc soundtrack. From what I can tell, they're different enough that it's nice both are included.

Lesthe

Alt-account
Banned
Feb 19, 2019
France
It's weird, gyro aiming works perfectly in Undocked mode but with my pro controller in Docked mode, I can't turn left or right with gyro, witch is makes aiming very confusing.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
Gyro aiming automatically makes this the best port (outside of the pc + Steam Controller)!

It's just a shame that I'm absolutely shite at first person platforming.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Gyro aiming automatically makes this the best port (outside of the pc + Steam Controller)!

It's just a shame that I'm absolutely shite at first person platforming.

The trick with Turok and platforming is to use the map rather than the actual first person view. I remember it being a little wonky in regards to how your icon can be slightly off of a platform while you're still standing on it, but once you get used to it it makes platforming way easier.

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
It's weird, gyro aiming works perfectly in Undocked mode but with my pro controller in Docked mode, I can't turn left or right with gyro, witch is makes aiming very confusing.

You have to tilt the controller left and right. It is very odd but I got used to it. I praised the gyro in this thread and it was based on undocked mode before I tested it docked. First it was weird but like I said. I got used to it.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the first game was decent enough but I'm playing Turok 2 again at the moment and this is just a much better game in every way except maybe the music, hope you get a port of that as well

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
The trick with Turok and platforming is to use the map rather than the actual first person view. I remember it being a little wonky in regards to how your icon can be slightly off of a platform while you're still standing on it, but once you get used to it it makes platforming way easier.

Oh shit, that makes a surprising amount of sense! I'll give it blast later

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
You have to tilt the controller left and right. It is very odd but I got used to it. I praised the gyro in this thread and it was based on undocked mode before I tested it docked. First it was weird but like I said. I got used to it.
To me, this way seems perfectly normal... it's how I played BotW. But in Spawn Wave's video, he showed that he thought gyro controls should work by rotating the controller like a steering wheel which raised my eyebrow... so I fired up BotW and interestingly, you can do both styles.

So TIL there are people who think gyro should work differently. I guess it depends on whether you imagine the front of the controller to be the camera or the bottom of the controller. I gravitated towards bottom, because it makes more sense to me with how you hold the controller.

But hey, if BotW can allow you to use both styles seamlessly, I don't see why other games can't.

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
To me, this way seems perfectly normal... it's how I played BotW. But in Spawn Wave's video, he showed that he thought gyro controls should work by rotating the controller like a steering wheel which raised my eyebrow... so I fired up BotW and interestingly, you can do both styles.

So TIL there are people who think gyro should work differently. I guess it depends on whether you imagine the front of the controller to be the camera or the bottom of the controller. I gravitated towards bottom, because it makes more sense to me with how you hold the controller.

But hey, if BotW can allow you to use both styles seamlessly, I don't see why other games can't.

I see, thanks for the info :).

Actually I just tested and if you hold the pro controller upward, like your joycons are in undocked, it works normally. This seems to be something that developers overlooked since the pro controller and the joycons are exactly the same controls and they shouldn't be. Pro controllers position is wrong.

MizneyWorld

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Purchased Turok 1 & 2 (EX?!) on PC then again on Xbox One. Ready to do so on Switch again. Really fun, playable time capsule games.

I hope they can do an enhanced port of Turok 3. I loved the look and darker tone but it ran like shit on N64. Assuming it's no secret Turok: Evolution, it probably deserves a chance that the past-it's-prime N64 couldn't on release.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC

I kinda compare the platforming to rolling off of ledges in the DKC games. You can wait til the last second and pull off your jumps. Diagonal jumps also go further.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Actually I just tested and if you hold the pro controller upward, like your joycons are in undocked, it works normally. This seems to be something that developers overlooked since the pro controller and the joycons are exactly the same controls and they shouldn't be. Pro controllers position is wrong.
Well that's what I'm saying... to me, the Pro controller's position is right. The gyro controls in Turok work exactly how I expect them to, both using the Pro Controller and Joycons in portable mode.

Made a diagram to demonstrate what I mean:
nSzcujp.png

This is gonna be the new normal/inverted, except that BotW demonstrates that you can let players do both simultaneously.

Last edited:

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
According to the discord, the developers are looking into changing and adjusting the gyro controls, especially for the Pro Controller. Players rejoice!

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
This is so much fun and I'm not even a big fan of shooters! I'm pretty sure I played it at some point on N64, but again, not being a fan of the genre in addition to being really young, I probably didn't enjoy it too much back in the day. It's fast, fun, atmospheric, and I don't mind the platforming at all.

Deleted member 24624

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So, does Night Drive own the game rights for Turok entirely? Playing the original on Switch makes me want a new installment. I know they're a small team and have other projects, but damn this remaster has me wanting more. Can't wait for Seeds of Evil to drop.

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Well that's what I'm saying... to me, the Pro controller's position is right. The gyro controls in Turok work exactly how I expect them to, both using the Pro Controller and Joycons in portable mode.

Made a diagram to demonstrate what I mean:
nSzcujp.png

This is gonna be the new normal/inverted, except that BotW demonstrates that you can let players do both simultaneously.
Yooooooooo. I think I finally understand why gyro controls in switch games have felt off for me.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
So, does Night Drive own the game rights for Turok entirely? Playing the original on Switch makes me want a new installment. I know they're a small team and have other projects, but damn this remaster has me wanting more. Can't wait for Seeds of Evil to drop.
I doubt they outright bought the rights for any of these. They don't have Nordic money.

Link the Hero

Jul 5, 2018
I would buy an HD remaster of Shadow Man for Switch in a heartbeat. Are there any chances for that? Acclaim made some really good games back in the days. I'm a bit sad that Acclaim is no more.