• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Given that Voyager is by far the most popular Star Trek on Netflix I somehow doubt this is true.

Aren't more than half of the most watched episodes all from Voyager? With Endhame being THE most watched/re-watched episode on Netflix globally?
I think that has more to do with people binge watching the one that they least likely watched when it was on air. It's the worst reviewed of the first 3 follow up series.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I think that has more to do with people binge watching the one that they least likely watched when it was on air. It's the worst reviewed of the first 3 follow up series.
So they binge watched it, but then kept re-watching it despite not liking it?
Voyager isn't just the most watched it's also the most re-watched Trek on Netflix.

To say "Most people" didn't like Voyager is pretty clearly just not true. A show that most people don't like doesn't last for 7 series.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
So they binge watched it, but then kept re-watching it despite not liking it?
Voyager isn't just the most watched it's also the most re-watched Trek on Netflix.

To say "Most people" didn't like Voyager is pretty clearly just not true. A show that most people don't like doesn't last for 7 series.
It got the worst ratings of the three shows in its final 2 years. It does the wave of success from the ratings for TNG and the critical acclaim of DS9 and kinda tarnished the brand by the end. And back then the syndication rights meant a lackluster show could stretch it out for 7 seasons.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
An interesting concept ruined by bad writing seems to sum Voyager up well, even if there are gems in there. Also some of the characters never got interesting - Chakotay and Kim notably, especially the latter. The Maquis crew integrating perfectly into the rigidly structured Starfleet crew and all it's protocol after only two or three episodes was ridiculous. Seven of Nine being used as a sex object to entice viewers back in after massively falling numbers. Tuvix. Oh God, the Borg - even if they were following in First Contact's shoes, what they did to the Borg was ridiculous... talk about nerfing a dangerous enemy.

I can watch an episode of Voyager and enjoy it, but it's by far the weakest of the shows (Enterprise was beginning to find it's stride near the end in a way Voyager never would - also a show nearly killed by bad writing early on).

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Voyager skipped several decades off their journey home at multiple points in the show, a timeframe calculated in the high warp speed the ship was capable of.

So how the fuck did a bunch of random Tailaxians with shitty ships end up all that way across the Quadrant, and then decide to settle down on a tiny asteroid in bumfuck nowhere? Did I miss a handwavey explanation?

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I used to love voyager as a kid and hate DS9 and now it's the other way around. Try as I might I struggle to care about any charge yet that isn't the Doctor or 7 of 9. Having damage that I did like that one Neelix episode where he does and he has a crises of faith.

Oct 28, 2017
Voyager almost always had to shoehorn a red alert space battle scene I to every episode too. TNG had whole episodes without anything but stock ship flybys.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Voyager almost always had to shoehorn a red alert space battle scene I to every episode too. TNG had whole episodes without anything but stock ship flybys.
To be fair TNG was in friendly space half the time whilst Voyager was in a region of "Who the hell are these arseholes? Let's rob the bastards"

Not even going to get into the endless supply of shuttles.

I think the generally accepted explanation for this is that Voyager, and Starfleet ships in general (especially long range exploration ships like the Intrepid class) have facilities available to essentially 'flat pack' shuttlecraft to save on space. Just use Industrial Replicators in the Cargo Bay to churn out the components and put them together like an IKEA kit.
Which is also how it was so easy to put together the Delta Flyer.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
Is there a reason they couldn't restock their torpedoes? I vaguely remember them trading resources with other cultures and converting weaponry from scavanged ships.
https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/23850/how-did-voyager-replace-its-photon-torpedoes

Early on, the reason was that they didn't have any of the raw materials to manufacture the casings. The writers did keep count for the first few seasons, but after a certain point I imagine the plots would have been hamstrung by the limitation of no more torpedoes.

So I imagine the semi-official explanation would be that they acquired more materials later on, despite it not being explicitly stated in any episodes.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
To be fair TNG was in friendly space half the time whilst Voyager was in a region of "Who the hell are these arseholes? Let's rob the bastards"

I think the generally accepted explanation for this is that Voyager, and Starfleet ships in general (especially long range exploration ships like the Intrepid class) have facilities available to essentially 'flat pack' shuttlecraft to save on space. Just use Industrial Replicators in the Cargo Bay to churn out the components and put them together like an IKEA kit.
LOL it's lazy writing. They at least tried to be consistent with photon torpedos through 5 seasons until they just stopped giving a fuck.

The official Star Trek Voyager Technical Guide V1.0, intended as guidelines for writers (sub-title: "Yes, but which button do I push to fire the phasers?"), ironically says that "Voyager normally carries two[!] standard shuttlecraft, four of the smaller shuttlepods, and four EVA workpods". We have never seen any shuttlepods or workpods. The two lonely shuttlecraft were obviously both supposed to be of Type 6, since this one is depicted in the booklet.

In strong contrast to what the booklet told the authors, lots of standard shuttles of no less than three different types, namely Type 6, Type 8 and Type 9 (the latter is designated as Type 12 in the Star Trek Fact Files and as Class 2 since the 5th season) were actually seen, and Voyager has probably lost as many as seventeen of them in seven years:

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Voyager skipped several decades off their journey home at multiple points in the show, a timeframe calculated in the high warp speed the ship was capable of.

So how the fuck did a bunch of random Tailaxians with shitty ships end up all that way across the Quadrant, and then decide to settle down on a tiny asteroid in bumfuck nowhere? Did I miss a handwavey explanation?
I don't think they mentioned it. You could assume the Talaxian war which scattered all the survivors around the quadrant happened 3 decades ago, I guess. Or assume lazy continuity.
Sure, except the show was constantly harping on how they didn't have the supplies or energy to run replicators. It's not that the viewers don't realize things get replicated, it's that the show contradicts itself.

Oct 28, 2017
I love Voyager. it's righ above TNG. Then again, I'm not the type to nitpick every piece of media I ingest. I'm along for the ride and enjoy it moment-to-moment.

And, fuck you, Kim was awesome.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that Janeway KILLED TUVIX

Janeway was such a great character.

"DELETE THE HUSBAND"

Nelix got what he deserved. Dude was raising that weird four year old adult space chick to be a total idiot. Dude never saw a disgusting slime he didn't want to make into an appetizer and frequently poisoned crew members with his disgusting goop.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love Voyager. it's righ above TNG. Then again, I'm not the type to nitpick every piece of media I ingest. I'm along for the ride and enjoy it moment-to-moment.

And, fuck you, Kim was awesome.

My man. A true connoisseur of self contained sci-fi episodes. Exhausted listening to people tell me that DS9 is the best as long as you watch 1200 episodes in order. Voyager > NextGen > OG Star Trek > that's all there is peace.

Catching Voyager reruns late at night is like a fly trap for my attention. I still haven't seen 'em all either.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
My man. A true connoisseur of self contained sci-fi episodes. Exhausted listening to people tell me that DS9 is the best as long as you watch 1200 episodes in order. Voyager > NextGen > OG Star Trek > that's all there is peace.

Catching Voyager reruns late at night is like a fly trap for my attention. I still haven't seen 'em all either.
This explains your Lunch Dune love you have horrible taste.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Neelix got what he deserved. Dude was raising that weird four year old adult space chick to be a total idiot. Dude never saw a disgusting slime he didn't want to make into an appetizer and frequently poisoned crew members with his disgusting goop.
He got a happy relationship with a hot female of his own species and a ready-made family to help him deal with the PTSD from seeing his species nearly exterminated.

Your statement sounds like you think he got chopped up by the bodysnatchers in the Delta quadrant.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017

This is like complaining about having to read a novel from front to back to appreciate it, and how it sucks when you read randomly selected chapters with no order.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is like complaining about having to read a novel from front to back to appreciate it, and how it sucks when you read randomly selected chapters with no order.

no it's like complaining that you only have an hour to read on a short train ride and people insist on giving you War and Peace.

it has little bearing on quality and everything to do with a convenience confection!

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017
Love voyager, and am just doing a series rewatch.
However, Neelix is definitely emotionally manipulative of Kes. She's also worried to the point of fear about what Neelix will think of everyone she interacts with.

The voyager crew should have helped Kes get free of his overbearing, manipulative, occasionally violent ass. Instead of going "Oh Neelix, you scamp"

Oct 27, 2017

I liked Voyager to an extent, but better than TNG and DS9? And I thought we could be friends...

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I recently rewatched Voyager, yeah I disliked Neelix as a character. He was just so whiny, self-pitying and annoying. Easily my least favourite Voyager character (after Chakotay, natch). Ethan Phillips is probably the only reason he's tolerable (I liked him from hs days on Benson). I thought having him suddenly find Talaxians just before they returned Earth was short changing him since he seemed like he wanted to get to Earth.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
For some reason I thought the title said

Turok gives Netflix the heel wiggle.