• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
My LG C8 arrives tomorrow!

Anyone have any tips for settings or initial setup that I should consider? I know one thing I keep reading about is that Dynamic Tone Mapping helps brighten up the image in HDR games, so I'll explore that a bit. Otherwise, do people tend to stick with RTings settings? Any other sites I should check out for that kind of info?

I found it looked so good out of the box that I have barely bothered with tweaking settings. There are a few suggestions with regard to image retention/burn in listed in the instruction manual but it is certainly not necessary to go straight into full-scale tweaking when you first get it. I found that time better spent getting used to the U.I. and so on. I still intend to refer to the rtings setting suggestions but it has made everything I throw at it [4K discs, Blu Ray discs and even terrestrial tv, both HD and SD] look great so it is not exactly a pressing concern. I should say however that I do not have any HDR games so cannot advise on that aspect.

Congrats on your tv. I have been loving mine and trust you shall too :).

Jazbur

Mar 14, 2018
Those with an LG C8 and Xbox One S/X, have you tried out the Xbox tv calibration tool? I did this tonight in SDR game mode and the part where you have adjust brightness to just make the closed eye disappear, I got a brightness setting of 55. I thought the recommended setting was 50. I've checked all other settings and they are correct. Isn't 55 a bit high to keep that true black?

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Xbox One (and Samsung 2018's) don't support LFC? Aren't they FreeSync2 displays, which would mean that LFC is in the spec?
" In response to a query, an AMD spokesperson clarified the frame rate ranges that support FreeSync on the Samsung TVs. "There are two settings available under Game Mode. At 1080p, the "Ultimate" setting has a range of 48-120Hz, and "Basic" supports 90-120Hz. In 4K, the range is 48-60Hz." With such a high low-end FPS requirement, the technology should be most successful with games capable of running at 60fps. "

Freesync also reduces input lag, so just having it on without any frame drops is still beneficial.

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
So my C8 came ahead of schedule tonight. Hoooooly hell what a difference from the KS8500 and Q6FN that preceded it.

Once we got it set up I threw on the flower petal bridge scene from Coco and everyone in the house gawked at it for 5-10 minutes before I switched to Infinity War to gawk at that. We're currently watching the Blue Planet II UHD disc and it's pretty mind blowing.

I'm excited to get some gaming time on this thing!

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So my C8 came ahead of schedule tonight. Hoooooly hell what a difference from the KS8500 and Q6FN that preceded it.

Once we got it set up I threw on the flower petal bridge scene from Coco and everyone in the house gawked at it for 5-10 minutes before I switched to Infinity War to gawk at that. We're currently watching the Blue Planet II UHD disc and it's pretty mind blowing.

Nothing will ever look the same after this, you're on the OLED path now.

I get the same reactions when I play a UHD movie for friends and family when they come over, happened this weekend actually.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017

Nice. Agreed, Coco looked amazing when I finally watched it.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
Well...

Yeah, out of nowhere. There has always been *minor* banding at 2-5% grey but it is barely noticeable after that.

Suddenly, when navigating the Xbox One UI (a notorious banding litmus test) I noticed it. Two really obvious bands all the way up to 20% grey!

E4iYDAM.jpg

They were noticeable when watching dark content like horror films. Cue one short panel maintenance cycle later and...

2RmEqnu.jpg

Gone! I checked the Xbox UI to make sure, and nothing there either.

I don't know if I should be happy or even more concerned!

Manual comp or 4hr auto comp?

Ffog

Feb 5, 2018
I bought a C8 during Black Friday, that became an E8 due to stock issues and a bloody good "upgrade" offer. (I lurked this thread a lot when researching).
After more than 10 years using an old Toshiba LCD that possibly couldn't even display 1080, HOLY SHIT. I have been blown away.
Even on my OG Xbox One things look dramatically better. I don't think I'd ever noticed puddles from rain in PUBG before.
My wife legitimately thought Bluray was a massive con. Goddamn not any more. What a TV. Could not be happier. And I haven't even got into proper 4K, HDR stuff yet

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question.

On the B7 SDR Game Mode on Non-PC input is locked to Wide Color Gamut resulting in over saturated colors. Lowering the Color setting down to 40-44 lowers the overall saturation, but colors are still improper shades. Switching to PC-input sucks due to more pronounced color banding. So, my question is; Can the CMS settings be tweaked to combat this, and with the right combination of settings get a picture that is identical to standard color gamut while being locked into wide? If so, I'd love if we could all work together on figuring that combination out.

MetsFanAtShea

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Excessive hostility against community and staff, account in junior phase.
Just normal comp cycle...is that expected behaviour?

So this shit hole is no better than NeoGaf then I see. The mods still suck a Sony dick and the sheep following migrated over from NeoGaf. In short fuck off with the natzi moderation.
You can ban me for good,I'd rather speak my mind than belong to the hivemind here. LOL.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
GearDraxon any chance you'd like to try your hand at making us a thread banner?

I'm always game if GearDraxon is busy.

I bought a C8 during Black Friday, that became an E8 due to stock issues and a bloody good "upgrade" offer. (I lurked this thread a lot when researching).
After more than 10 years using an old Toshiba LCD that possibly couldn't even display 1080, HOLY SHIT. I have been blown away.
Even on my OG Xbox One things look dramatically better. I don't think I'd ever noticed puddles from rain in PUBG before.
My wife legitimately thought Bluray was a massive con. Goddamn not any more. What a TV. Could not be happier. And I haven't even got into proper 4K, HDR stuff yet

That is one hell of a technological leap you've made there. I recently sold my old TV to my dad, more than anything - he was most impressed going from a TV that's 46kg to one that's 11kg - and bigger in inches!

So this shit hole is no better than NeoGaf then I see. The mods still suck a Sony dick and the sheep following migrated over from NeoGaf. In short fuck off with the natzi moderation.
You can ban me for good,I'd rather speak my mind than belong to the hivemind here. LOL.

Que?

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What an odd choice of quotes to pop off on...in such an odd thread. Like...what the hell?

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What the...

What an odd choice of quotes to pop off on...in such an odd thread. Like...what the hell?

Its so bizarre and random lol.

Good on the mods for acting quickly at least.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas

Love seeing first time oled impressions!

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017

Haha, I was just watching Blue Planet 2 on Netflix on my B7 and was just thinking, "Man, I should get this on UHD Blu Ray" lol. Episode one is straight up demo material with the variation of content with high contrast and vibrant colors within the first 10 mins.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I got the X900F! We went with 49 inches despite wanting to go bigger, but the larger size would have been too much for our TV stand (and we would have had to buy speaker stands, which would have been annoying).

Anyway, the TV seems mostly great, but I'm wondering if anyone's noticed issues with light blooming around subtitles. I watched a film last night and it seemed like there was a bright halo around the intense bright white color of the text. It wasn't *so* bad, but I did notice—especially because the movie consisted mainly of dark scenes. Is there any way to minimize this effect?

And are there any good general settings guides out there that I should take a look at?

Cronus

Oct 31, 2017
Well...

Yeah, out of nowhere. There has always been *minor* banding at 2-5% grey but it is barely noticeable after that.

Suddenly, when navigating the Xbox One UI (a notorious banding litmus test) I noticed it. Two really obvious bands all the way up to 20% grey!

E4iYDAM.jpg

They were noticeable when watching dark content like horror films. Cue one short panel maintenance cycle later and...

2RmEqnu.jpg

Gone! I checked the Xbox UI to make sure, and nothing there either.

I don't know if I should be happy or even more concerned!
Wait, what? Just a short (automatic) panel maintenance? That's weird.

How's it looking today?

I'll probably buy one this week or the next.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
I have a question.

On the B7 SDR Game Mode on Non-PC input is locked to Wide Color Gamut resulting in over saturated colors. Lowering the Color setting down to 40-44 lowers the overall saturation, but colors are still improper shades. Switching to PC-input sucks due to more pronounced color banding. So, my question is; Can the CMS settings be tweaked to combat this, and with the right combination of settings get a picture that is identical to standard color gamut while being locked into wide? If so, I'd love if we could all work together on figuring that combination out.

Well last night I had my first bit of horrendous banding in PC mode, and when I say horrendous I mean unplayable, due to the noise and bands all over the screen, whilst I've seen a tad more banding in the past compared to game SDR, this was on another level! Game did ease it considerably, but I was taken back by the poor PQ I was seeing.

Game was Ashen...

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Oh cool, someone has quoted my po...

...okay...

:'(

Wait, what? Just a short (automatic) panel maintenance? That's weird.

How's it looking today?

I'll probably buy one this week or the next.

Yeah, just a short maintenance cycle. I've not watched it a huge amount since yesterday but it seems fine right now. Just ran a full grey pattern check and no visible banding.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Well last night I had my first bit of horrendous banding in PC mode, and when I say horrendous I mean unplayable, due to the noise and bands all over the screen, whilst I've seen a tad more banding in the past compared to game SDR, this was on another level! Game did ease it considerably, but I was taken back by the poor PQ I was seeing.

Game was Ashen...

The banding is truly out of control in Ashen. Can you combat wcg the same way you toned it down in hdr mode? If you can come up with something that looks relatively close to pc/isf I would be happy enough to leave the tv in one input setting to avoid switching.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
The banding is truly out of control in Ashen. Can you combat wcg the same way you toned it down in hdr mode? If you can come up with something that looks relatively close to pc/isf I would be happy enough to leave the tv in one input setting to avoid switching.

I'm gonna have a good go at matching tonight, but yeah it's unbelievably bad, to the point I thought the TV had gone horribly wrong.

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have SDR Gaming settings they're willing to share for their C8? I have mine set to game mode and I feel like it's crushing blacks a little bit. I have black levels set to low to correspond with the RGB output from my PS4 (High made everything look grey) and I think I have contrast at 85. Is that too low?

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
I got the X900F! We went with 49 inches despite wanting to go bigger, but the larger size would have been too much for our TV stand (and we would have had to buy speaker stands, which would have been annoying).

Anyway, the TV seems mostly great, but I'm wondering if anyone's noticed issues with light blooming around subtitles. I watched a film last night and it seemed like there was a bright halo around the intense bright white color of the text. It wasn't *so* bad, but I did notice—especially because the movie consisted mainly of dark scenes. Is there any way to minimize this effect?

And are there any good general settings guides out there that I should take a look at?

if you can, change the subtitle appearance

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone have SDR Gaming settings they're willing to share for their C8? I have mine set to game mode and I feel like it's crushing blacks a little bit. I have black levels set to low to correspond with the RGB output from my PS4 (High made everything look grey) and I think I have contrast at 85. Is that too low?

Stick contrast to 96, that'll give you a bit of shadow detail back, my B7 is calibrated to that, it'll be extremely similar.

One1stepahead

Oct 27, 2017

Game was Ashen...

I don't even use PC mode anymore, there is always more banding even with 4:2:0. PC Mode off and Game mode has way less banding. I can clearly see that in the skies in RDR 2.

I have to deal with the force wide colour gamut in Game mode and that sucks. I have colour at 44 but the red push is still there. It all comes down to more banding or wide colour gamut. But the lesser of the two evils is the latter i think. Banding is just more distracting to me.

LG need to give us the option to choose between auto and wide colour gamut in Game mode. I know they won't though! Maybe i have to look at Panasonic with my next OLED. But i know i will mis webOS, the magic remote and Dolby Vision.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Buffing the contrast helped a bit, but switching to High black level also helped.

On LG, which black level setting corresponds with RGB output?

It's just called black level, you'll know if you're mismatching as it'll either look grey, or seriously crushed and very colourful, stick to low.

Cronus

Oct 31, 2017
I have a question.

You can't unfortunately. It's one of the reasons I started to get pissed off with my C7 and sold it.
Oh cool, someone has quoted my po...

...okay...

:'(

Yeah, just a short maintenance cycle. I've not watched it a huge amount since yesterday but it seems fine right now. Just ran a full grey pattern check and no visible banding.
Great to hear. Hope it stays that way.

Oct 28, 2017

Local dimming on high but this is also a limitation of local dimming tech

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
I don't even use PC mode anymore, there is always more banding even with 4:2:0. PC Mode off and Game mode has way less banding. I can clearly see that in the skies in RDR 2.

I have to deal with the force wide colour gamut in Game mode and that sucks. I have colour at 44 but the red push is still there. It all comes down to more banding or wide colour gamut. But the lesser of the two evils is the latter i think. Banding is just more distracting to me.

LG need to give us the option to choose between auto and wide colout gamut in Game mode. I know they won't though! Maybe i have to look at Panasonic with my next OLED. But i know i will mis webOS, the magic remote and Dolby Vision.

It's never been a problem for me, because most games have been sleight when it comes to banding, but I guess Ashen is the perfect storm, I mean it's bandy, noisy, blocky and the band's have green streaks in them, thank god it's a rare example, but in no way am I putting up with that.

Oct 26, 2017
Really odd but last weekend when I continued with RDR2 (and when my Xbox One X hadn't kicked the bucket yet) I didn't like how overly colorful the game looked on the Q9FN in SDR. And turning down color from 25 to lower didn't do much and the color tone already was warm2, so that wasn't it.

I then decided to enable HDR and see how that looked and I was surprised by how much better it actually looks. Grass didn't look cartoony like colorful anymore, more like realistic and with putting brightness at - 1 or 2 interiors actually don't look overly bright at all anymore. So when it comes to being a proper HDR implementation it fails but it makes it look more realistic than SDR though.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really odd but last weekend when I continued with RDR2 (and when my Xbox One X hadn't kicked the bucket yet) I didn't like how overly colorful the game looked on the Q9FN in SDR. And turning down color from 25 to lower didn't do much and the color tone already was warm2, so that wasn't it.

I then decided to enable HDR and see how that looked and I was surprised by how much better it actually looks. Grass didn't look cartoony like colorful anymore, more like realistic and with putting brightness at - 1 or 2 interiors actually don't look overly bright at all anymore. So when it comes to being a proper HDR implementation it fails but it makes it look more realistic than SDR though.

Absolutely, this is why I always preferred the HDR look in RDR2 with lowered brightness to 47 on my OLED.

I'm not sure if this was intended by Rockstar or just a happy little accident, but the fake HDR gave the game a far more realistic look, specially in the later chapters of the game.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I need your help guys... I posted last week that something seemed off about Red Dead Redemption 2 on my C8.. some kind of micro stuttering, but I couldn't exactly put my finger on it. Also I found almost no other people online talking about similar issues. Not only that, every bit of footage I saw of the game didn't seem to have this problem and seemed smoother than my game. I thought I was losing my mind.
Today I finally realized what the issue is. It's the Game Mode on my TV. I don't know what's happening but the problem exists on this mode alone. The thing is, I don't understand what setting is causing it. My first thought was TruMotion/MotionPro of course, but turning it on made everything significantly worse and didn't help with the issue at all.
These are the settings I'm using in non-HDR game mode:
OLED 56
Contrast 85
Brightness 50
Sharp 0
Color Depth 60
Color 0
Temperatur W40
Gamma Medium/Middle
Black Low
Everything else off

I'm thankful for every suggestion.

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely, this is why I always preferred the HDR look in RDR2 with lowered brightness to 47 on my OLED.

I'm not sure if this was intended by Rockstar or just a happy little accident, but the fake HDR gave the game a far more realistic look, specially in the later chapters of the game.

Oh wow, that's interesting. I almost thought I was the only one, haha. Especially because on the Sony 930e it's the other way around. I can't really get interiors to look right and outside it just looks bad, I'd say almost washed out. Not on the Q9FN.

So on the OLED in SDR it's overly colorful as well? I really noticed it as soon as you arrive in the camp close to Valentine. The grass isn't like a Sea of Thieves green but more like how you would expect it to look. Oddly enough, my brother who has a KS7000(8000)plays RDR2 in SDR and it looks great there, very similar to how it looks on my TV in HDR, lol.

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
After reading through a lot of this thread, I am on the fence on what TV I should pull the trigger on.
I really would prefer a TV that is 80+ inches and my max budget is $3,500.
Looking at these big displays, I have come to the conclusion that my best option is the Sony x900f or x850f. Obviously the x900f is a better display, but finding it at that price point has seemed rather difficult. Best Buy had a great offer of the x850f at $2,700. The Samsung QLED at 82" seem good too, but the input lag seems a little high. I'd love if the Vizio P came in a bigger size, but with it 'only' being 75", my options seem really limited.
Anyone on ERA have any one of these displays? Thanks for the help!

Also, from what I remember years ago, January was always the best time to buy new displays as CES/new models were coming so the old models generally dropped in price. Is that still the case?

Where are you seeing reports of bad input lag for the Samsung Q series? I was under the impression that it fared better than the Sony under almost every condition. In fact, I was included to buy the Sony you mentioned but ultimately went Samsung because of their impressive lag times.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
It's never been a problem for me, because most games have been sleight when it comes to banding, but I guess Ashen is the perfect storm, I mean it's bandy, noisy, blocky and the band's have green streaks in them, thank god it's a rare example, but in no way am I putting up with that.
I've always noticed it. I often felt like I was going crazy, but it's quite noticeable for me...

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Ok Guys, going to Best Buy. Thinking of getting an OLED, but I can only get the B8 65 inch. Should I pull the trigger at $2088 for an B8 or just be patient and wait until spring to get the C8/E8? Whats your thoughts on this?

Boss-

Apr 20, 2018
Ok Guys, going to Best Buy. Thinking of getting an OLED, but I can only get the B8 65 inch. Should I pull the trigger at $2088 for an B8 or just be patient and wait until spring to get the C8/E8? Whats your thoughts on this?

Wait for a C8. January is quickly approaching.

And by January I mean CES 2019.

Oct 26, 2017

Game was Ashen...

The game is almost constantly either light or dark grey isn't it? Oh boy I fear how that's gonna look on my Q9FN that clearly shows banding in cave areas in Hellblade and in dark grey areas in Battlefield 5. I don't notice banding and the green tinge in many other colors, maybe a little but when it's dark grey.....hoo boy.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
The game is almost constantly either light or dark grey isn't it? Oh boy I fear how that's gonna look on my Q9FN that clearly shows banding in cave areas in Hellblade and in dark grey areas in Battlefield 5. I don't notice banding and the green tinge in many other colors, maybe a little but when it's dark grey.....hoo boy.

The beginning was yeah, must have tons of black to grey gradations! Anyhow with game SDR it's miles better, I'm sure your Q9FN won't be as bad as what I saw :)

JohnCarpenter1306

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 18, 2018
Hi! Got redirected here from another thread in regards to buying a new 4k tv. I'm looking at 3 particular TYPES of 4k tv- OLED. QLED and LG's Super UHD. It'll be used 90% of the time for gaming and 4k blu ray viewing, and 10% of the time for PC usage.
Any suggestions? I'm in Australia by the way...

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Anyhow I think I've struck upon the best game SDR settings possible to find, 7 series folk.

I've painstakingly been matching my calibrated dark Isf mode to game SDR, and have settled on a really close picture.

Oddly one of the problems is that isf dark is brighter than game SDR with the exact same OLED light and contrast, initially I thought it was white point (which may be to some extent) but you can't calibrate game, it's visibly brighter which is why with the same settings isf dark looks more impactful, also uncalibrated Technicolor does too, so I upped contrast to 100 (from 96) and bumped OLED light to 70 (from 60) and now luminance wise it's a total match, colour 39, colour temp W50, gamma high 1.

Literally all colours look extremely close, with the occasional red (not all) looking slightly deeper than isf, funny thing is I tried games with lots of blood, and they actually looked better on game SDR, as it was a proper blood colour and not oversaturated, vs light pinkish on isf!???

Skin tones looks natural just like isf, vibrant games like Mega Man 11 look punchy and colourful, whilst keeping the same shades.

This is as good as it gets guys.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018
curious, I have been using the PC mode with the ISF for more than a year now with my B7 and I have never noticed that there is more banding than in non-PC mode.

at least, no more that there is already in the source.

also, l keep saying it, PC Mode works best with RGB Full and black level high, but you guys keep ignoring me, i just hope that somebody try it and see, you get a slight better shadow detail and color, its pretty noticiable in high contrast games like overwatch.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
curious, I have been using the PC mode with the ISF for more than a year now with my B7 and I have never noticed that there is more banding than in non-PC mode.

at least, no more that there is already in the source.

also, l keep saying it, PC Mode works best with RGB Full and black level high, but you guys keep ignoring me, i just hope that somebody try it and see, you get a slight better shadow detail and color, its pretty noticiable in high contrast games like overwatch.

I've tried it before, and I've tried it now on Ashen, it looks equally as bad.