• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It defintely does, but it's that thing where you'd end up changing settings that shouldn't need changing, because something fundamental is broken, so you'd just skew the picture, game mode is perfectly fine using the exact same settings.

Is the banding definately the display and not just the source?
I set my console to 8bit full range RGB now, as all the games are internally full range, so there is a theoretical incremental improvement there

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
Go for the B8 over the B7.

The B8 comes with a brighter game mode HDR and slightly better uniformity.

Super bowl sales should be good too, probably close to what you saw on BF.

Thanks for the tip. The B8 wouldn't require that external metadata device for games, I take it? I wonder if companies pull the same thing for super bowl sales as black Friday. The custom models and whatnot

Last edited:

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Would you mind telling me if there's any black crush on your Panny and if so, how bad it is?

Went to another store and checked out the FZ800 again, but the demo they showed seemed to be crush blacks pretty bad. Made me a bit worried.
I had to fiddle with the lower IRE gamma slightly to bring out some shadow detail, but I'll be honest - I'm no expert. Is there anything you'd like me to test?

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Is the banding definately the display and not just the source?
I set my console to 8bit full range RGB now, as all the games are internally full range, so there is a theoretical incremental improvement there

It just doesn't work in PC mode, full RGB on dark gradations is an absolute mess, whereas on game it's miles better, you can use 4:2:0 chroma for PC which solves it, but then input lag is increased......nightmare.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Ok mate, let us know.

So I've spent another 3 hours trying to get to the bottom of it, tried every combination of chroma and bitrate I could come up with on the Vertex using custom EDID's, there is nothing that can be done, and yeah you are right about lag with 4:2:0 on SDR, it was easy to tell playing Mega Man, incredibly frustrating that's for sure.

I wonder if there is any way in the service menus to unlock rec709 for game SDR....

So yeah as it stands the best experience is both game modes, annoying when better options are there, Christ LG are shit.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
So, Dolby Vision Cinema is the most accurate picture mode on the B7, right? Cinema Home is noticeably brighter tho, is Home really that bad? Home looks like what I expect, whereas Cinema almost looks like SDR.

Dolby recommends Cinema Home for bright room viewing but it clips detail. The effect looks really similar to turning on Dynamic Contrast to me.

One1stepahead

Oct 27, 2017
So I've spent another 3 hours trying to get to the bottom of it, tried every combination of chroma and bitrate I could come up with on the Vertex using custom EDID's, there is nothing that can be done, and yeah you are right about lag with 4:2:0 on SDR, it was easy to tell playing Mega Man, incredibly frustrating that's for sure.

I wonder if there is any way in the service menus to unlock rec709 for game SDR....

So yeah as it stands the best experience is both game modes, annoying when better options are there, Christ LG are shit.

DOT, thanks for testing the hell out of the LG OLED. Mega Man is also a good one for testing input lag. And yeah, there is nothing we can do about it and that is definitely frustrating. I will not mess with the service menu.

There is really no perfect OLED out there. Sony has the highest input lag (but still very playable) and dimming issue, Panasonic is crushing black levels...

I have a Linker and that works fine but knowing that you don't need that on the C8 (just 1 year later) still gets me angry. The C7 cost me a lot of money. Damn you LG.

Last edited:

Me_Marcadet

Oct 25, 2017
Because I have a hard time noticing the banding difference between game and PC, I took some pictures:
PC
xhd29.jpg

Game

Apr 21, 2018
I know that RDR2 HDR is broken but on its pretty "drastic" how much difference the picture its vs SDR, in SDR the game its very dark with tons of shadows and contrast.

in HDR the game its way more washed out, with tons of greys on those shadows, to te point that its shows a lot of banding.

hmmm curios, some claim that the picture its the same in both SDR and HDR, but for me its way more different, i wonder, what was the developer its intended look?

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know that RDR2 HDR is broken but on its pretty "drastic" how much difference the picture its vs SDR, in SDR the game its very dark with tons of shadows and contrast.

in HDR the game its way more washed out, with tons of greys on those shadows, to te point that its shows a lot of banding.

hmmm curios, some claim that the picture its the same in both SDR and HDR, but for me its way more different, i wonder, what was the developer its intended look?

The overly washed out look in HDR goes away when you lower brightness (46 or 47 on an LG OLED).

SDR on the other hand looks too colorful and cartoony for my taste so I played the game in HDR all the way through with the lowered brightness.

And who knows how they intended the game to look, it would be interesting to find out which mode they prefer.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I can proudly say, don't get LG 4K TVs. I've had nothing but bad luck with them and I am here to vent my frustration. Busted TV twice in 8 months. Sure they will repair it for free cause it is under warranty but what about when the warranty ends? Still takes a month for them to fix it, so annoying.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can proudly say, don't get LG 4K TVs. I've had nothing but bad luck with them and I am here to vent my frustration. Busted TV twice in 8 months. Sure they will repair it for free cause it is under warranty but what about when the warranty ends? Still takes a month for them to fix it, so annoying.

Talking about their LCD models or LG 4K TVs in general?

A lot of people in here are rocking the LG OLED's, and well - everyone here with an OLED is using their panels.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

Well, then you pay for repairs I guess? Just like with every other brand. Not sure why you are proud though?

I had 2 busted Sony FALD screens before I got an LG OLED trade-in. Couldn't be happier.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
DOT, thanks for testing the hell out of the LG OLED. Mega Man is also a good one for testing input lag. And yeah, there is nothing we can do about it and that is definitely frustrating. I will not mess with the service menu.

There is really no perfect OLED out there. Sony has the highest input lag (but still very playable) and dimming issue, Panasonic is crushing black levels...

I have a Linker and that works fine but knowing that you don't need that on the C8 (just 1 year later) still gets me angry. The C7 cost me a lot of money. Damn you LG.

No worries, we all deserve the best PQ! It's not all doom and gloom, I forgot to say that in PC mode and RGB, 1080p doesn't suffer from the same banding! WTF right? It's as good as game mode, so for retro gaming, or Nintendo Switch, basically anything 720p/1080p, you can still have accurate colours, full RGB and low lag, just not in 4K..... I'm pleased I can use my Super Nt, Switch and the Mega SG in PC anyway.

Ashen has been a godsend for testing banding, I mean it's so bad, that it's made it easier to see the differences.

Last edited:

Gianko

Nov 1, 2017
ROME, ITALY

A lot of people in here are rocking the LG OLED's, and well - everyone here with an OLED is using their panels.
yes all the panels are from LG but i think lot of the difference is made by the software that each company uses. probably LG push for having a too much bright image that causes burns...

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
I switched to Cinema Home when watching Altered Carbon 6 months ago and haven't looked back. This is in a dark room. Regular Cinema is indeed too dim.
I wish there was a happy medium. Cinema looks more natural/realistic but it's a little on the dark side. Was a bit too dark at times on Haunting of Hill House. Cinema Home is nice and bright but the colours seem a little washed out compared to Cinema

Wonderbrah

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I have a C8 and am wanting to make sure i have the correct rgb settings. On the tv low black level is correlated with limited range on ps4 right? And high black level with high rgb? So as long as those two settings are matched i'm good, right?

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017

55" 4k OLED TV.

Well, then you pay for repairs I guess? Just like with every other brand. Not sure why you are proud though?

I had 2 busted Sony FALD screens before I got an LG OLED trade-in. Couldn't be happier.

Maybe confidently is better, I can say it without fault. Never had issues with a HDTV (this is my 4th brand) until LG entered my life.

Ramune

Feb 3, 2018
Does anyone have any experiences with the Samsung UN55NU6900? I actually won this in a contest and it came in yesterday. I look at reviews and it seems....to land VERY squarely in the middle with most being unimpressed. I'm not sneezing at a free TV, let alone a 4K set, but...part of me wants to maybe sell it so I can get something better or at least has more HDMI ports, ha ha. I'd be using it for Gaming (I do own a PS4 Pro so the 4K and HDR functions would not go to waste) and as a secondary PC screen and my only other TV is the Panasonic TC-32LZ800 which I've had for 10+ years and still serves me well to this day (I remember making darn sure it was future proof for its time coming from CRTs back then ). But missing all those connections...is this normal for new HDTVs? I admit to not having followed TVs much over the years, and I don't need the bleeding edge, as I don't really have the money for that either. But if I'm going to TV, I want it to last just as long as the Panasonic did and do things right on day one, so I have no regrets when it's already obsolete well into the next year. Sorry for the rambling, just got out of 3rd shift at work, but....what would you guys do?

SothisKrieg

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have experience with gaming and the Panasonic TX-55FZ800 i've the opportunity to buy it for 1000€ and it seems good.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yes all the panels are from LG but i think lot of the difference is made by the software that each company uses. probably LG push for having a too much bright image that causes burns...

lol...

55" 4k OLED TV.

Maybe confidently is better, I can say it without fault. Never had issues with a HDTV (this is my 4th brand) until LG entered my life.

That sucks, but all it means is you had some really shitty luck, and I totally understand if you don't ever wanna buy an LG TV again.

But there's tons of us here with LG OLEDs that never had issues :/

Anyone have experience with gaming and the Panasonic TX-55FZ800 i've the opportunity to buy it for 1000€ and it seems good.

I don't own the TV, but I hear nothing but great things about them and for 1000 its a steal.

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
Greentoe is to our friend. I think a c8 at 2100 is possible...even cheaper for b8.

Greentoe...? Have you had success going under minimum price?

Nope, no need for any of that.

That alone is reason enough to go for the 8 series imo.

Awesome. Thanks!

Yes, I have been using a B7 as my only PC monitor for 15 months. No issues, love it.

Edit: I use it for gaming as well as web browsing, word processing, music production (ableton live), youtube, and other general PC things. No burn in at all, I pull up test slides every now and again to keep an eye on things, have never seen a hint of BI yet. I just set task bar to auto-hide and have a 5 minute screen saver.

It's also my main display for streaming/movies and ps4/xbox/switch

This was a helpful post. Thank you

Last edited:

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Does anyone have any experiences with the Samsung UN55NU6900? I actually won this in a contest and it came in yesterday. I look at reviews and it seems....to land VERY squarely in the middle with most being unimpressed. I'm not sneezing at a free TV, let alone a 4K set, but...part of me wants to maybe sell it so I can get something better or at least has more HDMI ports, ha ha. I'd be using it for Gaming (I do own a PS4 Pro so the 4K and HDR functions would not go to waste) and as a secondary PC screen and my only other TV is the Panasonic TC-32LZ800 which I've had for 10+ years and still serves me well to this day (I remember making darn sure it was future proof for its time coming from CRTs back then ). But missing all those connections...is this normal for new HDTVs? I admit to not having followed TVs much over the years, and I don't need the bleeding edge, as I don't really have the money for that either. But if I'm going to TV, I want it to last just as long as the Panasonic did and do things right on day one, so I have no regrets when it's already obsolete well into the next year. Sorry for the rambling, just got out of 3rd shift at work, but....what would you guys do?
Hey, I can actually help with this! I just bought one of these to use as a bedroom TV, they were only 400 bucks on black friday, it seemed like a no brainer. I have an OLED in the living room and just wanted something of passable quality for upstairs. This is a budget display, which explains the lack of ports. For 400 bucks, I'm happy with it. It has better PQ than I expected honestly. HDR is mostly useless on this set, but it can look OK, it lacks wide color gamut and significant brightness, but it's not awful, just nowhere even in the same dimension as my OLED. Input lag is great in game mode. The smart functions are garbagr, it's riddled with ads and a idiotic TV+ app that is like, streaming weird internet TV channels. You cant remove it, and it auto switches to this app if you turn off your console without turning off the TV. Kind of annoying.

As a bedroom TV? Great display, very affordable and the picture is nice.

As a main display? Hell no for me, but I've been spoiled by OLED and could probably never go back to a budget set.

Edit: Also forgot to mention, the black levels on this TV are great, minimal clouding and blooming too. For an edge-lit set with no local dimming, the contrast is superb imo. Also this TV does NOT have bluetooth, so if you rely on bluetooth headphones or speakers, you'll have to figure something else out.

Last edited:

One1stepahead

Oct 27, 2017
No worries, we all deserve the best PQ! It's not all doom and gloom, I forgot to say that in PC mode and RGB, 1080p doesn't suffer from the same banding! WTF right? It's as good as game mode, so for retro gaming, or Nintendo Switch, basically anything 720p/1080p, you can still have accurate colours, full RGB and low lag, just not in 4K..... I'm pleased I can use my Super Nt, Switch and the Mega SG in PC anyway.

Ashen has been a godsend for testing banding, I mean it's so bad, that it's made it easier to see the differences.

So 1080p is fine but 2160p is too much to handle RGB in PC mode? Totally bizarre! I still have some of my old consoles connected to my C7 but i play much, much more on my PS4 Pro and X.

I wonder how Ashen wil look on an Sony OLED with smooth gradiation on! What do you think? Even in game mode the color banding in Ashen looks like ass on my C7 haha.

And i don't know why LG give doesn't give the consumer the option to use Rec. 709 in SDR game mode. It's a stupid decision to lock it in wide colour gamut! And it's the same on the 2018 LG OLED's. Sony and Panasonic doesn't do that with their game mode.

Last edited:

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I got a TCL S405 earlier this year and I recently got a PS4 Pro so I was considering simultaneously upgrading to the TCL R617 and gifting the current TV. Is it worth the upgrade and does anyone know if I can find it discounted anywhere or if it might be before Xmas?

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I got a TCL S405 earlier this year and I recently got a PS4 Pro so I was considering simultaneously upgrading to the TCL R617 and gifting the current TV. Is it worth the upgrade and does anyone know if I can find it discounted anywhere or if it might be before Xmas?

Definitely a worthy upgrade as the R617 is basically the go-to recommended budget HDR set while the S405 can't really handle HDR properly (although I think it accepts an HDR signal?).

I've been checking on prices and haven't really seen the R617 cheaper than $600 for a 55" yet this season. They're likely already on a pretty thin margin at that price so I wouldn't expect any discounts greater than $50 or so.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
So 1080p is fine but 2160p is too much to handle RGB in PC mode? Totally bizarre! I still have some of my old consoles connected to my C7 but i play much, much more on my PS4 Pro and X.

I wonder how Ashen wil look on an Sony OLED with smooth gradiation on! What do you think? Even in game mode the color banding in Ashen looks like ass on my C7 haha.

And i don't know why LG give doesn't give the consumer the option to use Rec. 709 in SDR game mode. It's a stupid decision to lock it in wide colour gamut! And it's the same on the 2018 LG OLED's. Sony and Panasonic doesn't do that with their game mode.

Definitely, I'm at a total loss as to why 1080p has totally 'normal' banding, makes no sense, but yeah Ashen looks like shit generally, at least it's playable in game though I guess.

It should look much better on a Sony I'd imagine, it's always been a nice feature on my Sony sets, prob make a real difference here.

Tbh I just don't know if I can be arsed to swap inputs for different consoles and resolutions, I'm kinda sick of all the messing since I've owned it, so think I'm gonna just stick to game mode for everything, and forget about the calibrated settings I have, it's not like gaming has ever mimic'd real life is it, and with some tweaks it still looks like the best SDR gaming experience you can get, with vibrant deep colours etc.

One1stepahead

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely, I'm at a total loss as to why 1080p has totally 'normal' banding, makes no sense, but yeah Ashen looks like shit generally, at least it's playable in game though I guess.

It should look much better on a Sony I'd imagine, it's always been a nice feature on my Sony sets, prob make a real difference here.

Tbh I just don't know if I can be arsed to swap inputs for different consoles and resolutions, I'm kinda sick of all the messing since I've owned it, so think I'm gonna just stick to game mode for everything, and forget about the calibrated settings I have, it's not like gaming has ever mimic'd real life is it, and with some tweaks it still looks like the best SDR gaming experience you can get, with vibrant deep colours etc.

I understand that you are getting sick of having to constantly mess around with everything, i'm also tired of it. Smooth gradiation of Sony would be nice to have but there are other problems with their TV's.

True, even in game mode with the wide colour gamut you have an image quality that is still fantastic and better than almost all other TV's on the market. Let's not forget about that.

Enjoy your OLED mate!

Last edited:

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
Guys is there a way to stop ASBL kicking in? Watching Ozark and Haunting Hill was a pain... i refuse to believe that in the year 2018 LG cabt make the tv distinguish a moving picture however dark it is from a static image...

The tv is absolutely perfect but dark shows become a problem with ASBL dimming the screen...

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Guys is there a way to stop ASBL kicking in? Watching Ozark and Haunting Hill was a pain... i refuse to believe that in the year 2018 LG cabt make the tv distinguish a moving picture however dark it is from a static image...

The tv is absolutely perfect but dark shows become a problem with ASBL dimming the screen...

is it the asbl in general or do you have a 8 series that had some type of luminance bug on previous firmwares?

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
is it the asbl in general or do you have a 8 series that had some type of luminance bug on previous firmwares?

Not talking about any bug, just the dimming feature of the tv which is really poor imo. Practically every prolonged dark scene will kick asbl and dimm the image to the point where you cant barely make things out. I cant believe LG still hasnt fixed this.

Try watching Lzark or Haunting Hill and you will see what i am talking about.