• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone get Octopath? How does it look on big 4K sets? Thinking about playing it handheld

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Are there still posting walls of shame? We should have that from OT1 in the OP

Looks better than most stuff. I think the art style lends it self really well to 4K sets more so than a lot of the 3D stuff on switch.

I'm not sure where to find the post count :(

I can add polls though...which might be fun!

Sweet re: Octopath...I assumed it would look blurry with the artstyle.

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
Good job Bumrush, you are a good bloke

I miss my OLED bruvs. With all the traveling i may do the coming year, apple need to releaase an ipad OLED or i might have to buy that 21" asus OLED.

Edit: no tv thread is complete without you TeKFaN

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. I didn't realize there was an OT for TVs.

I am using a Sony Bravia 65" x850D. It is the previous year's model from the x950D. I believe the x900 E series of TVs have way darker blacks than the D series, at least when I was shopping for a TV at the time. Currently when its night time, you can see the black color on the screen show really bright when it should be dark. I think this is due to the edges being lesser quality than the E series.

I haven't noticed any input lag in the games I play and the HDR is definitely amazing. I will definitely upgrade in the next year or so though. Im thinking 75" next.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I'm still looking for a 50"+ 4K HDR TV that offers 90Hz+ and has low latency for gaming. I was hoping the Nvidia panels would be it, especially with the GSync support, but it doesn't sound like they're quite ready yet. Is there anything else coming out this year that hits those marks and seems promising?

Dez

Oct 27, 2017
So i finally got my HD Fury Vertex set up. It's probably overkill for what i was using it for, but i'm now able to restore brightness in HDR Game mode on the LG C7 - basically, injecting 1000 max nit metadata does the trick. I was able to set it up with the harmony remote such that i can toggle the injection of metadata on and off, so it's essentially like a bright HDR game mode that i can toggle when necessary. PS4 and Xbox One do not output any metadata for any games i've tested so far, and to me that's a problem - the LG C7 seems to assume mastering of 4000 nits in that case, which lowers the brightness unnecessarily. Of course if the game does go over 1000 nits, you can see that all the highlight detail kinda blends in together (clouds + sun etc in horizon zero dawn).

maks

Oct 27, 2017
As long as there is more light it will help. I have a lightify strip running along the wall on the ground by mine and just an echo to turn it in set it to brightness etc.

Cool, im going to try it out tonight. The alternative is to try to install an in wall power outlet behind tv but I would rather avoid buying and installing that if possible.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up the TCL P607 for $400 a month or so back on eBay with a coupon. My first 4K. Love it so so so much. Best TV I've ever owned.

I've just been using the Rtings calibration settings does anyone know if those are good enough or there are better out there?

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up the TCL P607 for $400 a month or so back on eBay with a coupon. My first 4K. Love it so so so much. Best TV I've ever owned.

I've just been using the Rtings calibration settings does anyone know if those are good enough or there are better out there?
That is a *lot* of TV quality for that price!

Given your "love it so so so much" comment, I'd just stick with the settings you have: you can get lost in chasing a "better" picture, instead of enjoying it like you are already!

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like I'll have to wait for next year before buying a new TV! Oh well. I have to be an adult.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
So i finally got my HD Fury Vertex set up. It's probably overkill for what i was using it for, but i'm now able to restore brightness in HDR Game mode on the LG C7 - basically, injecting 1000 max nit metadata does the trick. I was able to set it up with the harmony remote such that i can toggle the injection of metadata on and off, so it's essentially like a bright HDR game mode that i can toggle when necessary. PS4 and Xbox One do not output any metadata for any games i've tested so far, and to me that's a problem - the LG C7 seems to assume mastering of 4000 nits in that case, which lowers the brightness unnecessarily. Of course if the game does go over 1000 nits, you can see that all the highlight detail kinda blends in together (clouds + sun etc in horizon zero dawn).

Does that also upscale 720p or 1080i content, wonder if it's better than LG tv can do.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b8-oled

So the C8 is a little brighter but could also be due to panel variance. I much prefer the base on the B8 too. Just wish it was a couple hundred dollars cheaper.

Is there still no confirmation of Active HDR in Game Mode on the B8? I haven't seen it mentioned yet.

I do think if there is no HDMI 2.1 on the 9 series OLEDs next year, the B8 on clearance becomes the TV to get for me.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
I was just watching Netflix and on two separate instances I got this weird noise that looked like digital static in the upper left hand corner of the OLED panel. Hard to describe what it looks like. On both instances I rewound immediately to see if I could recreate it and I could not. So I know it wasn't in what I was streaming. The two incidents happened about a half hour apart.

I'm thinking of taking this back. I'm now getting worried. My return window closes on Monday and already this things is acting up too much.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
DV confirmed to not be on UHD disc for the Avengers movies.

What a bunch of fucking bullshit.

Digital brehs
rejoice.png

GraveRobberX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Grabbing the TCL 6 series 55" for my room for PS4Pro

Should I wait till black Friday or buy around September
Delay and wait for 7 series refresh to get 2.1 hdmi and other stuff that will be added

I just want to future proof myself for at least PS5 lol

My 1080p 46" Sharp Aquos still going strong after 11 fucking years...

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017

Do you think it adds any lag? Was there an HD Fury Vertex profile already for the Harmony? Or did you have to use learn command? Sounds good man.

Edit: I'm very close to buying one btw! It's my birthday, and I want to spend some money lol.

Last edited:

Dez

Oct 27, 2017
Do you think it adds any lag? Was there an HD Fury Vertex profile already for the Harmony? Or did you have to use learn command? Sounds good man.

Edit: I'm very close to buying one btw! It's my birthday, and I want to spend some money lol.

I don't believe it adds any lag but I have a Leo Bodnar but I haven't chained them together to check. Will do so tmrw.

The HD fury vertex profile is already there - I got them to add the codes to toggle hdr meta data injection so it's a one click activity I've set up. I can't say it's 100% worth it because you do notice the loss of detail in high nit content. It's like the hdr standard mode all over again lol. But definitely for some games it helps a lot - it is now as bright as hdr Technicolor with dynamic tone mapping on.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Hdmi 2.1 worth waiting for?

It certainly solves some problems with TVs to date. VRR is nice and so is the max bandwidth for eARC. The problem is that implementation is likely to be quirky at first, so there's no guarantee 2019 TVs are simply going to check the box.

I would have no qualms buying a great 2018 TV because there is always something interesting coming next year.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
I don't believe it adds any lag but I have a Leo Bodnar but I haven't chained them together to check. Will do so tmrw.

The HD fury vertex profile is already there - I got them to add the codes to toggle hdr meta data injection so it's a one click activity I've set up. I can't say it's 100% worth it because you do notice the loss of detail in high nit content. It's like the hdr standard mode all over again lol. But definitely for some games it helps a lot - it is now as bright as hdr Technicolor with dynamic tone mapping on.

Yeah that would make sense, but also you got to remember that standard has lots of other inaccuracies, aside from blowing detail, so at least you'll benefit from everything else.

Edit: Thing is I love tinkering, and this would absolutely extend those legs even further! Haha.

Edit 2: The Android app looks like a good tool too, think I'd just use that tbh.

Edit 3: According to HD Fury, it only adds less than 1ms lag.. Sony guys who worry about 1080p lag, may well benefit from their cheaper offerings, as they'll get 1080p upscaled to 4K, with only 25ms lag, instead of mid 40's.

Last edited:

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Hdmi 2.1 worth waiting for?

Short answer is no.

Most of the desirable features that were originally announced as part of HDMI 2.1 (VRR, eARC, auto low latency switching, HDR10+) are already present on 2018 HDMI 2.0 sets from Samsung.

The main thing that HDMI 2.1 will give us that we can't get today is higher resolution / refresh rate / color space options, like 4K/120 4:4:4, and will enable 8K sets. However, this feature is irrelevant to the vast majority of people. The people that benefit are those with high end gaming PCs hooked up directly to their televisions. For everyone else it is pretty pointless. And even for the PC gaming people it's a bit of a risky bet. We don't know when graphics cards will start supporting HDMI 2.1 - there are rumors of higher resolution support on the upcoming Nvidia cards, but given that HDMI 2.1 certification is not ready yet, I would not be surprised if it is just DisplayPort 1.4. Furthermore, even if they do support HDMI 2.1, there is good reason to doubt that Nvidia will support VRR. They are launching a range of Gsync TVs after all, and supporting VRR over HDMI 2.1 would eliminate one of the main selling points of those TVs. So they are likely to drag their feet for a few years on supporting it, especially when there is not strong competition from AMD.

So for the vast majority of people, it is not worth waiting for HDMI 2.1. If you want features like VRR or eARC and you don't want to buy a Samsung, you might wait for those features to show up on other sets - but that's something that can happen with or without HDMI 2.1.