• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
DOTDASHDOT when turning HDR module on, do you also suggest decreasing OLED light for Dolby Vision? I know that normally you wouldn't set it above 50 and this essentially does that.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Should the X-Tended Dynamic Range option found on the X900F be kept on or off when watching SDR Content?

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, I was just trying to change that setting that DotDashDot mentioned (which does work for 2016 models btw).
But I accidentally hit the In-Stop button in the Harmony app menu. It basically instantly turns the TV off and when you turn it on it's completely reset, logs and all.

Oh well, time to adjust settings again.
HAHAA. Same.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Anybody who was hoping to buy that rollable display might want to put that dream to sleep.

Unless you have a brand new mid range BMW or Mercedes to sell

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
If that is correct, then it's just going to be down to the fact it will be produced in tiny numbers

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
DOTDASHDOT when turning HDR module on, do you also suggest decreasing OLED light for Dolby Vision? I know that normally you wouldn't set it above 50 and this essentially does that.

Well this is really interesting, OLED light past 50, DOESN'T increase luminance any further, it lightens the picture like gamma, but it does not get actually brighter! Step in module HDR, the peak brightness not only increases by some margin, the highlight detail is kept, along with blacks like you'd expect, I don't see a downside to this at all, it's great :)

Gamer4life

Dec 6, 2017
Hmm Hisense ULED XD televisions. Basically a 1080p gray scale lcd panel attached behind a 4k color panel. Grey scale panel makes it like having 2 million dimming zones. Anti-glare screen also.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Well this is really interesting, OLED light past 50, DOESN'T increase luminance any further, it lightens the picture like gamma, but it does not get actually brighter! Step in module HDR, the peak brightness not only increases by some margin, the highlight detail is kept, along with blacks like you'd expect, I don't see a downside to this at all, it's great :)

Hmm I was watching one of vt's earlier videos and he was saying that turning on this setting for 2018s lowered hdr peak brightness by 100 nits. Does the setting in 2017s behave different?

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I've been wondering why it took this long to do this.
Nobody cared when I talked about it :P

Panasonic showed it a couple of years ago, they claimed 10,000,00:1 Contrast ratio @1000nits at the time.
They use an IPS panel, in order to increase the viewing angle, as the blacks aren't as much as a concern in this style of dual modulation.

I suppose the reason for not doing it is that black levesl in LCDs have only become a big concern again as HDR content has come along and required more intense backlighting, which has made grey lack of blacks and blooming far more obvious.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm I was watching one of vt's earlier videos and he was saying that turning on this setting for 2018s lowered hdr peak brightness by 100 nits. Does the setting in 2017s behave different?

My post was regarding Dolby Vision, he said high on 2019 models maxes out the potential, but it's hidden on other models, I can tell you this, nothing about this reduces anything, you'll gain 20%, I just watched the lightning scene in Mad Max, holy shit that's bright with module on, I'm not kidding.

You must be getting confused with another setting.

Got a couple of guys using it in AVF, they are loving it!

Last edited:

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
My post was regarding Dolby Vision, he said high on 2019 models maxes out the potential, but it's hidden on other models, I can tell you this, nothing about this reduces anything, you'll gain 20%, I just watched the lightning scene in Mad Max, holy shit that's bright with module on, I'm not kidding.

You must be getting confused with another setting.
Around the 16min mark.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
He said the opposite in his latest video! Lol, I can tell you 100%, it's a lot brighter, for 2017 models anyway.

I've done loads of colour checks too, they look the same, very very close.

That's why I was just double-checking. What he said in his video about the 2019s didn't really match so I got confused. lol You never know with service menu stuff so just erring on the side of caution.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
That's why I was just double-checking. What he said in his video about the 2019s didn't really match so I got confused. lol You never know with service menu stuff so just erring on the side of caution.

Of course, so you should, but all I can say is what I'm seeing, it's an upgrade pure and simple.

None of that old video makes sense, you're not losing 100 nits, you're gaining around 150-200 nits haha.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah that's banding. That's coming from the games output, it's not caused by your TV. Some TV manufacturers try to mitigate it with post processing like Sony as you mentioned.

I hate it and I wish it would go away. Thank God not every game has this. While Fallout 76 has it, Fallout 4 doesn't. Just a clean sky without any ugly stuff. Not too much to ask for you'd think. Wonder why it happens.

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ridiculously interested in that Hisense TV! I want OLED, but it seems good alternatives are coming so it's a good time to wait and see (as if I have the funds anyways :P)

Okinau

Oct 27, 2017
I got the TCL R615 which comes with the standard IR remote. Is it possible to get the remote for the R617 and use that instead? Best Buy only offers the 615.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Should the X-Tended Dynamic Range option found on the X900F be kept on or off when watching SDR Content?

For HDR it needs to be on (at High), but for SDR it really is a matter of preference. On my 930e, I alternated between low and off for the longest time. I finally opted for disabling it, but I can imagine someone that would prefer it on. Just not too high.

One thing is certain though, if you feel the need to enhance contrast for SDR content, do it through the X-Tended Dynamic Range, and NOT using the Adv. Contrast Enhancer setting. That thing should stay off.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any reason why Amazon doesn't support digital dolby vision movies? The only 2 services are Rakuten.tv and iTunes at (least in Europe). I would love to buy 4k Dolby Vision movies from Amazon tho.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Ya'know, I think it's time I ask about this.

Ever since I got my B7 about 6 months ago I have noticed one specific spot get image retention very commonly. Where it quickly fades everywhere else, there's this one spot where it stays for upwards of several minutes before fading away. It's a dark blob on the bottom of the screen about mid-way between the right and center of the screen.

There isn't anything in my day-to-day use that stresses that specific part of the screen, so I'm curious is this a screen defect? It's starting to become more and more noticeable.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Is there any reason why Amazon doesn't support digital dolby vision movies? The only 2 services are Rakuten.tv and iTunes at (least in Europe). I would love to buy 4k Dolby Vision movies from Amazon tho.

They've opted to support HDR10+ instead

There are a handful of Dolby Vision titles on the US amazong prime store, but just a few from Sony.

Kolle

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
I tried this HDR Module setting and while highlights in HDR are indeed brighter, it seems to mess with colors and SDR looks really off even if you turn OLED Light down -20.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
2 million dimming zones yet there is a crap ton of blooming even in the preview pic.
It's not blooming.
That's going to be glare and reflections from other light sources. You can see it in the video .
You are also going to be getting some glare from the lenses.

He also talks about an anti glare filter, which I'm guessing is one of those Matt finishes which is why reflections are looking like bloom.
If there is no proper AR coating, then they points to it getting hot

Last edited:

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Nah in the actual video you can see it dragging behind the moving objects on screen with a slight delay. The part where he sits next to it. Check out 2:25. Clearly leaving a trail.

Maybe only one of the two layers is shown in that demonstration, so the black portion of the color-layer will hide that blooming. Just guessing...