• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
Guess I will end up buying a C9 later this year. My hand was kind of forced with this too. The TV repair shop let me know today that my entire panel is malfunctioning on my B6, and that I would have to get it completely replaced. It would cost $1,100 just for that. Like I am going to spend that much to get a two and a half year old TV fixed, when I could just get a new C8 for barely more than that. My credit card actually also had an additonal year warranty on top of the default one from the manufacturer, but it does me no good, since it expired six months ago.

Next time I am going to spend just a little more to get a four year warranty. Ironically, the price I paid for a 55'' B6 in mid 2016 is the same as what I could have gotten a 65'' C8 for at the end of last year. I am expecting the 65'' C9s to cost close to $2700 at most at release, and a few hundred less as the year progresses.

Then again, who knows if the tariffs will in any way affect these TVs. They are from Korea, so hopefully not.

Funny enough, I had no retention or burn in issues with my OLED, and so it was certainly nowhere near as bad as the plasma was in that regard. Mine simply died. I still have a 42'' G10 that I use as well for 1080p games, and yep...it definitely has image retention issues. They eventually go away after months, but I also have permanent burn in from playing SFIV on it.

Tariffs only impact on China goods. Also if you are in the USA they assemble them in Mexico.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Tariffs only impact on China goods. Also if you are in the USA they assemble them in Mexico.

Right, but in regards to PC components at least, it seemed to be unknown if the location of the factory was what was going to be the only consideration, or if they were also going to factor in the parts that were used in assembly, since a large portion of the parts come from China. That's why I wasn't sure if this would have any effect on TVs made outside of China as well.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm looking at moving my gaming related stuff to a desk so I'm not taking up the tv and so my 1 year old can't get to it. I have an X and plan on getting a pro plus a bunch of older consoles. Specifically for the X and the pro, do they make 4K TVs that are smaller than 40 inches? Ideally I want something 24 to 28 but from what I see I would have to look at pc monitors which is less than ideal.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have the linker contraption, but I'm debating using the service menu to toggle the HDR Module to ON for my B7. I think DOTDASHDOT and Me_Marcadet are pro HDR Module -- anyone else tried it and have feedback?

Is running brightness beyond what is set at the factory really a good idea? I'm legitimately asking, as the layman at me would worry about the power module struggling under the extra demand, not to mention the increasing prospect of burn-in.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I've done that and I still find the whites too bright and it clashes with the overall picture. It's very subtle but it makes me real uncomfortable.

I can try your game mode setting.

Mine are currently

OLED 40
Contrast 100
Brightness 50
Colour 39
Colour temperature W50
Gamma high 2

I think that if you like high OLED light, the module on and lower OLED by 20 works, but I'm in a light controlled room, so I don't like to go higher than 40 and I don't think the trick works at those lower levels.

I think I'll stick to manually turn on HDR module when I want to play HDR content, it's still better than switching between different custom HDR Metadata.

I've done that and I still find the whites too bright and it clashes with the overall picture. It's very subtle but it makes me real uncomfortable.

I can try your game mode setting.

Mine are currently

OLED 40
Contrast 100
Brightness 50
Colour 39
Colour temperature W50
Gamma high 2

I think that if you like high OLED light, the module on and lower OLED by 20 works, but I'm in a light controlled room, so I don't like to go higher than 40 and I don't think the trick works at those lower levels.

I think I'll stick to manually turn on HDR module when I want to play HDR content, it's still better than switching between different custom HDR Metadata.

Preset - Game Mode
OLED light - 50
Contrast - 85
Brightness - 50
Sharpness - 0
Color - 45
Tint - 0
Color temp - W40
Gamma - Medium
Motion Pro (BFI) - On

The OLED light is the equivalent of 35 with HDR module and motion pro off.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Is running brightness beyond what is set at the factory really a good idea? I'm legitimately asking, as the layman at me would worry about the power module struggling under the extra demand, not to mention the increasing prospect of burn-in.

Burn in risk really is minimal on these sets. I think you are perfectly fine. Having said that, it is always a run at your own risk thing when modifying settings in the service menu. If it makes you feel better, I have it turned on, on a 77 inch set. I'm confident I'm not going to hurt my $5k set.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Treasure Silvergun the Sony XF90 is incredible, as others have said.

I don't think I could recommend one of the NU8000's they are essentially from Samsung's budget range, especially if you are coming from a plasma.

I think you should just about be able to get a Sony XF90 for €1000, the difference between those models will be substantial
Avoid the NU8000 if you can help it, spending a bit more on something like the vastly superior Sony XF90 is a better option.

+1 to this, the Sony XF90 is your best option at that budget if you're coming from Plasma and want to avoid OLED.
OK, thanks. It's significantly more expensive than the Samsung, but I guess it comes with the brand and features.

So just to be sure, we're talking about the XF9005, right? That's the series number Google returns me when I look for XF90 in Europe.

You guys happen to know if the 49'' lacks features compared to the 55''? This happens in the Samsung N8000 line, and as much as I'd like a 55'', 49'' might be better suited to the space I can allot to a TV.

EDIT: wait, I read that input lag with non-4K games is 40ms? That's a bummer. Coming from plasma that'd be very noticeable...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
OK, thanks. It's significantly more expensive than the Samsung, but I guess it comes with the brand and features.

So just to be sure, we're talking about the XF9005, right? That's the series number Google returns me when I look for XF90 in Europe.

You guys happen to know if the 49'' lacks features compared to the 55''? This happens in the Samsung N8000 line, and as much as I'd like a 55'', 49'' might be better suited to the space I can allot to a TV.

EDIT: wait, I read that input lag with non-4K games is 40ms? That's a bummer. Coming from plasma that'd be very noticeable...

Yes, we're referring to the XF9005 and no the 49" has the same feature set as the 55".

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

If you are using a Pro or X than those will be doing the scaling, so you can just look at the 4K figure

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
If you are using a Pro or X than those will be doing the scaling, so you can just look at the 4K figure
I still use Gen 7 consoles and I have a Switch.

If this is the state of things with the Sony, I guess I'm gonna wait until 2018's most recommended gaming TVs get down in price. I may opt for an OLED then and hope I don't get one of the unlucky panels. But I'm quite pessimist about that - the Panny GT30 plasmas were touted as retention-free and my panel still has image retention with white logos and gauges after 7 years.

Oct 26, 2017
Question about Freesync on the Samsung Q9FN. In a Kingdom Hearts 3 thread someone pointed me to this:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...amsung-adds-freesync-support-to-select-4k-tvs

Apparently there are a couple of compromises, however. The support only works at 1080p resolution and apparently some aspects of screen brightness may be affected. This means that PC and Xbox One X users may need to downscale their display outputs - effectively trading image quality for the FreeSync variable refresh effect.

Given a choice between FreeSync at a downscaled 1080p or standard 4K output, we'd probably take the latter, given current results.

So wait, does this mean you'll be playing these games in downscaled 1080p? I tried it with KH3 and I don't believe I see a difference really. I also tried it with Shadow of the Tomb Raider and the tearing was gone and resolution certainly didn't seem to be 1080p to me. And it clearly says 4K in my Xbox One X settings.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I still use Gen 7 consoles and I have a Switch.

If this is the state of things with the Sony, I guess I'm gonna wait until 2018's most recommended gaming TVs get down in price. I may opt for an OLED then and hope I don't get one of the unlucky panels. But I'm quite pessimist about that - the Panny GT30 plasmas were touted as retention-free and my panel still has image retention with white logos and gauges after 7 years.

Ah that's fair enough. My brain goes straight for HDR content, if you are using it for SDR stuff then the Samsung won't be too bad as it doesn't need to go as bright

Oct 27, 2017
Question about Freesync on the Samsung Q9FN. In a Kingdom Hearts 3 thread someone pointed me to this:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...amsung-adds-freesync-support-to-select-4k-tvs

So wait, does this mean you'll be playing these games in downscaled 1080p? I tried it with KH3 and I don't believe I see a difference really. I also tried it with Shadow of the Tomb Raider and the tearing was gone and resolution certainly didn't seem to be 1080p to me. And it clearly says 4K in my Xbox One X settings.

I replied in the other thread but my NU8000 does 4K VRR so the more expensive Q9FN should as well. Something must be off with his setup.

Oct 26, 2017
I replied in the other thread but my NU8000 does 4K VRR so the more expensive Q9FN should as well. Something must be off with his setup.

Hmmm, but that would go against what Eurogamer is saying though. Could it be that while it says 4K in the Xbox display settings that it still does downscale to 1080p? Guess I could try it with a actual native 4K game because the difference then is much easier to see.

On the other hand it would surprise me if it's not actual 4K. Since I've seen several people speak so highly of the feature, but why when it's not great for a 4K TV? I've seen people say they can't wait to buy the new OLED because it has Freesync, but why if it's only gonna downscale to 1080p anyway? I find this rather confusing.

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017
Has there been any info on availability or pricing of LG's 2019 OLED models? Or any expectations based on last year? I've recently moved and will need to buy a TV sometime soon, and I'm looking at the B8 series at the moment. I believe only the C9 series and above will have HDMI 2.1 with 4K/120Hz and VRR and all that nice stuff, and will undoubtedly be more expensive that the now-discounted C8, let alone B8, but I'm a little hesitant to pull the trigger on a B8 just in case the C9 becomes available a week later and is less of a markup than I expected. I'm in the UK, for reference.

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm, but that would go against what Eurogamer is saying though. Could it be that while it says 4K in the Xbox display settings that it still does downscale to 1080p? Guess I could try it with a actual native 4K game because the difference then is much easier to see.

On the other hand it would surprise me if it's not actual 4K. Since I've seen several people speak so highly of the feature, but why when it's not great for a 4K TV? I've seen people say they can't wait to buy the new OLED because it has Freesync, but why if it's only gonna downscale to 1080p anyway? I find this rather confusing.

I still think Eurogamer was on an older firmware. RTings shows that Xbox One X does 4k VRR on the Q9FN (see the last update).

I1DXiLU.png

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Has there been any info on availability or pricing of LG's 2019 OLED models? Or any expectations based on last year? I've recently moved and will need to buy a TV sometime soon, and I'm looking at the B8 series at the moment. I believe only the C9 series and above will have HDMI 2.1 with 4K/120Hz and VRR and all that nice stuff, and will undoubtedly be more expensive that the now-discounted C8, let alone B8, but I'm a little hesitant to pull the trigger on a B8 just in case the C9 becomes available a week later and is less of a markup than I expected. I'm in the UK, for reference.
I just assume expensive as fuck.

CrumbSnatcher

Jan 12, 2018
Anyone here that owns a Dolby Vision capable display, Full Enhancement Layer disc or streams from Paramount, Disney, Universal and maybe Lionsgate, have feature in the dynamic metadata called, "enhanced detail".

This is not mentioned much, because it's not a manufacturer specific feature. If you have noticed that some of your movies appear soft and detail. You can increase sharpness without any visible artifacts. The results are striking, your mileage may vary, because a calibration to D65 whitepoint might Netflix more leg room. But the level of detail in Black Panther, Atomic Blonde goes up several notches and brings out more depth in the PQ.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Thanks! Very nice. I thought I was going crazy because I honestly wasn't seeing huge differences with it on/off. This explains why, it's 4K after all. :)

My update version is 1202.
have you tried a lot of games that are 30fps? curious what impressions are
Hi all,

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the newly announced Sony A9G won't have VRR/HDMI 2.1, correct?

I'd assume the specs in here https://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/xbr-a9g-series is final and I shouldn't expect any revision for Sony's OLED lineup this year to include VRR support.
Don't believe it was explicitly announced but i wouldn't be surprised for 2.1 to be present when it launches or soon after via fw update. would wait and see on what the VRR implementation looks like.

Last edited:

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
have you tried a lot of games that are 30fps? curious what impressions are
I believe VRR is mostly good and noticeable for games with unlocked framerates, that's why I notice it so much in KH3. I don't believe it makes 30fps any smoother. But I will give it a try tomorrow with some Gears 4 :)

you need to check the VRR range - on those samsungs it only activates at 48-60 fps at 4K

Manac0r

Oct 30, 2017
UK
I don't have the linker contraption, but I'm debating using the service menu to toggle the HDR Module to ON for my B7. I think DOTDASHDOT and Me_Marcadet are pro HDR Module -- anyone else tried it and have feedback?

This is comes from another forum but I think even DOTDASHDOT has reverted to not using HDR module ON, as it messes with the gamma curve in SDR, dropping to as low as 1.2 and even with calibration it can't seem to be fixed.

So it's a trade off, extra specular brightness in HDR but warped gamma curve in SDR.

I tried it with the linker and decided the trade off wasn't worth it, back to module off and injector metadata as before.

Still it was handy getting access to the service menu in case it is needed in the future.

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
C8 launched at £2999 (55") or £4499 (65"). I wouldn't expect the C9 to be much lower (if at all) when it launches

Depends on how soon you want a TV. B8 can be had for around £960 (55") or £1600 (65") now. If you want to wait for the C9, the 65" C8 was around £2800 by August and could be had for £2200-2300 by Black Friday. Should hopefully give you an idea how the prices change over an annual cycle

Main lesson is don't buy at launch. You could get 2 TV's for the same price 6-8 months later

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My LCD monitor developed a nasty red and white spot in the top right corner of the screen.

Started like a small red dead pixel in the very corner, but it has progressively grown much larger over the past month. I've never seen anything like it lol.

At least its only 3 months old and within manufacturer warranty, which I already called and started the process. Sucks cause other than that I was happy with it.

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017
C8 launched at £2999 (55") or £4499 (65"). I wouldn't expect the C9 to be much lower (if at all) when it launches

Depends on how soon you want a TV. B8 can be had for around £960 (55") or £1600 (65") now. If you want to wait for the C9, the 65" C8 was around £2800 by August and could be had for £2200-2300 by Black Friday. Should hopefully give you an idea how the prices change over an annual cycle

Main lesson is don't buy at launch. You could get 2 TV's for the same price 6-8 months later

Yeah, I just had a quick look up of pricing for the C8 at launch after writing that post, and if it's anything close to that then it's way out of my budget. Which makes the decision easier, to be honest. Out of interest, where are you seeing the B8 for £960? Most places that I've looked at seem to have it around £1200.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I'm in the market for a new monitor.

Im doing research here but I'm more lost than buying a 4k HDR one.

I want freesync but I see freesync only takes affect normally at 44hz or higher.....possibly some panels go lower.....i want as low as I can get to basically 30fps.

It needs to work with HDMI as I'm using the monitlr for the xbox one x

27inches or bigger.

1080p is fine doesnt have to be 4k as I dont have 4k capture equipment.

Help me out ERA, your my only hope

Roughly $500

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I just had a quick look up of pricing for the C8 at launch after writing that post, and if it's anything close to that then it's way out of my budget. Which makes the decision easier, to be honest. Out of interest, where are you seeing the B8 for £960? Most places that I've looked at seem to have it around £1200.
Costco although apparently Richer Sounds are price matching: https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lg-oled55b8slc-55-inch-oled-ultra-hd-4k-95998-costco-in-store-online-richer-sounds-price-match-applied-at-checkout-31703

Edit: reading that thread and Costco are selling the B8SLC but Richer will price match on the B8PLA which has a much better stand IMO. I'd go with that if you have a Richer near you (plus they also give a 6 year warranty)

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Anyone here that owns a Dolby Vision capable display, Full Enhancement Layer disc or streams from Paramount, Disney, Universal and maybe Lionsgate, have feature in the dynamic metadata called, "enhanced detail".

This is not mentioned much, because it's not a manufacturer specific feature. If you have noticed that some of your movies appear soft and detail. You can increase sharpness without any visible artifacts. The results are striking, your mileage may vary, because a calibration to D65 whitepoint might Netflix more leg room. But the level of detail in Black Panther, Atomic Blonde goes up several notches and brings out more depth in the PQ.
Sounds odd. How would that even work? Source?

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the market for a new monitor.

Im doing research here but I'm more lost than buying a 4k HDR one.

I want freesync but I see freesync only takes affect normally at 44hz or higher.....possibly some panels go lower.....i want as low as I can get to basically 30fps.

It needs to work with HDMI as I'm using the monitlr for the xbox one x

27inches or bigger.

1080p is fine doesnt have to be 4k as I dont have 4k capture equipment.

Help me out ERA, your my only hope

Roughly $500

PC monitor or TV? If PC monitor, the Samsung CHG70 is right at your price range. 1440p, FreeSync2 with an upper range of 144Hz and LFC.

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Portrait Displays sent out an email that they are releasing a new calibration software "CalMAN Home Color Calibration Solution" including autocal and TV specific workflows. Sounds like it will also have stripped down workflows in general to make it so you only focus on the bare minimum. Sounds like a good way for many to get their feet wet in the hobby as well as get a proper calibration as opposed to copying settings or having BBY do it. Should be lower cost of entry.

Really no excuse now imho. Meters are cheap, cheap software, some displays are coming with internal pattern generators.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Have there been any sales on higher end tv's? I expected some since Superbowl is so close but I've only seen sales on lower end tv's.

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017
Costco although apparently Richer Sounds are price matching: https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lg-oled55b8slc-55-inch-oled-ultra-hd-4k-95998-costco-in-store-online-richer-sounds-price-match-applied-at-checkout-31703

Edit: reading that thread and Costco are selling the B8SLC but Richer will price match on the B8PLA which has a much better stand IMO. I'd go with that if you have a Richer near you (plus they also give a 6 year warranty)

Thanks, that's a pretty good deal alright. The stand on the PLA model does look quite a bit better, so if it's the same price I'd definitely prefer that. I assume they're identical apart from the stand?

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Maybe when the public one happens, I was away for the VIp one and I couldn't talk about the alpha
Nice!

I'll be playing for the first time on PC this weekend also. Really, really have fingers crossed for a good implementation.

BioWare doesn't really have a track record with HDR? Andromeda has Dolby vision on pc (and then didn't) which I think was okay? Not much else to go on though.