• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Wait... why is there no 4k Bluray of Hell or High Water in Europe?!
What else is missing here compared to the US?

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Yes 2.1 will do 4k up to 120 all teh way up to 8k 60

You can use it for some basic settings(Brightness, Color, Contrast, Tint/Hue) you cannot do WB or CMS adjustments however.

Mr. Bob was asking about the VRR range on the LG's. As of today, LG has not stated what the range is for VRR on the 2019 sets. That is one of the big things I am waiting to hear when they release this information or when reviewers get the information.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
You can always buy a 4k Blu Ray player from other manufactures. It's not like every company is getting rid of 4k Blu Ray players.
I have a Sony player with HDR and DV. I'm ok in that sense but still, Im frustrated by seemingly downfall of physical media. If I'm going to spend money on an OLED, watching only digital movies would be like buying a Ferrari and only going 30mph.

You gotta let that bitch sing at high bitrates.

Im mad. I had a long day at work. Stop taking my physical media away from me because I appreciate quality.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Even Vincent was impressed by the quality of 4K HDR streaming and I think he cares about visual fidelity.

It's only going to get better, no need to be chicken little about it.

As for audio though....

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Even Vincent was impressed by the quality of 4K HDR streaming and I think he cares about visual fidelity.

It's only going to get better, no need to be chicken little about it.

As for audio though....
Yeah but what if my internet goes out. Or steam starts downloading a big update and hogs the bandwith. My 4k investment goes to shit then.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
In those edge cases the inconvenience is only temporary.

And I would pause that update probably.
Our internet goes out for a night about once a month. We watch disks when that happens.

Bandwidth isnt always consistent, the services can have issues, they take shit off randomly. Its awesomely convenient though!

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Our internet goes out for a night about once a month. We watch disks when that happens.

Bandwidth isnt always consistent, the services can have issues, they take shit off randomly. Its awesomely convenient though!
But my internet is shit so streaming 4k is out of the question.

I've got good news then.
Discs aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

I'm just saying, in the far future when it really is all digital. It won't look like shit because it doesn't even now.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Didnt a digital movie service just go under or something? How does that work with your stuff on there?

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a Sony player with HDR and DV. I'm ok in that sense but still, Im frustrated by seemingly downfall of physical media. If I'm going to spend money on an OLED, watching only digital movies would be like buying a Ferrari and only going 30mph.

You gotta let that bitch sing at high bitrates.

Im mad. I had a long day at work. Stop taking my physical media away from me because I appreciate quality.

I will keep supporting it till the end buying the movies I really like on bluray or whatever new format they come up with.

But cheer up, I don't think we're even close to the end of physical media, at least not for movies for a while longer.

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Mr. Bob was asking about the VRR range on the LG's. As of today, LG has not stated what the range is for VRR on the 2019 sets. That is one of the big things I am waiting to hear when they release this information or when reviewers get the information.

If it's a full spec 2.1 it has the bandwidth to do the full range. It's a 120hz native panel. As long as it is full HDMI 2.1 any tv will as long as it is native 120hz. The reason the current Sansungs cannot is because they are 2.0b. Doesn't have the bandwidth.

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017

My understanding of the HDMI 2.1 VRR spec sounds like it works just like Freesync, in that manufacturers can implement any adaptive sync range they like. For LCD PC monitors, this range typically starts around 40Hz or so, going to the upper limit of the display. In practical terms, this means that high refresh rate monitors with Freesync pretty much always have enough of a range (eg 40-120Hz), to allow graphics cards to do low framerate compensation, which effectively means they've got a full range adaptive sync. For 60Hz monitors, the ~40-60Hz adaptive sync range isn't enough to do LFC (as there needs to be at least a 2x ratio between the top and bottom of the range), so Freesync is more limited on those monitors (although it's better than no adaptive sync at all).

I'd wager good money on LCD TVs having a similar ~40Hz lower bound on HDMI 2.1 VRR range, meaning any TVs which can run up to 120Hz will be effectively full range, and any TVs which max out at 60Hz will be more limited. For OLED I'm not sure if the same lower bound would hold, but as LG are supporting 120Hz alongside VRR I'd be very surprised if they weren't effectively full range sets.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone playing Crackdown 3? Stunning HDR, but no matter what you do in the options, blacks are grey, but in a way worse than say RE2, because it's only just above black, so it looks a bit messy on an OLED, 48 brightness fixes it though, noticed Shadow OTTR is similar, 49 fixes that! At least it is fixable I guess, annoying trend none the less.

EvilBoris You seen this with C3?

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017
Q7 is FALD for 2019

Samsung is the last TV brand not supporting DV which blows as I have a lot of iTunes 4K DV content...

It's annoying, but I can't say I blame them. There's no need for proprietary HDR formats, and a few dollars of Dolby tax per TV really adds up when you make as many TVs as Samsung does. HDR10+ seems to match Dolby Vision in everything but bit depth, and I'm sure we'll see a HDR12 by the time TVs with 12 bit panels start arriving. Hopefully Apple will switch over to providing films in HDR12 (or whatever equivalent standard) if the industry moves away from DV.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loved the Bohemian Rhapsody 4k UHD Blu-ray. It looks like a native 4k movie even if it isn't (or it could be?), and the use of HDR actually surprised me, many great scenes with fantastic use of HDR highlights.

I watched it on the X900F and really liked how it looked, can't wait to watch it again on the C8.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Loved the Bohemian Rhapsody 4k UHD Blu-ray. It looks like a native 4k movie even if it isn't (or it could be?), and the use of HDR actually surprised me, many great scenes with fantastic use of HDR highlights.

I watched it on the X900F and really liked how it looked, can't wait to watch it again on the C8.

If you check a UHD on blu-ray.com they do a good job of telling whether it's native or not

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Bohemian-Rhapsody-4K-Blu-ray/217775/#Review

(Upscaled in this case)

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Well that sucks. Time to buy a $2000 oled to watch some compressed digital movies i fucking guess. What a waste. I hate this digital future for some shit.

Compression isn't the real issue, it's when services like UltraViolet shut down. Not saying MoviesAnywhere (Disney), or Vudu (Walmart) will be shutting down, but things happen, maybe there's new opportunities elsewhere and services get left behind. It's always a possibility and that's what worries me most about digital only media, video games included, ex. Nintendo Wii eShop.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Makes sense I guess. Physical media continues to die.

It's purposely being killed. UHD digital titles are being sold for $5, UHD discs are $30. Studios are locking people's content into their digital distribution platforms and selling folks a license. To be fair, I have a UHD player, and only buy a select few movies that I love, the rest I buy digital. I'm part of the problem, they got me.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm looking to set up a gaming area for myself in a spare room. I'd like to connect my consoles (PS4 Pro and Switch) to a tv or monitor on a desk. What would y'all recommend for a budget screen? Prefer if it could do 4K. I'm not sure what size would be best for a viewing distance like that.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
If Samsung doesn't make new 4K players supporting HDR10+, what other manufacturer will? Certainly not Sony. Because Samsung TVs don't support Dolby Vision, it would potentially means that for disk-based movies those TVs will only be able to support regular HDR for the foreseeable future. Think it's bad news for Samsung TV owners?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
For anybody interested, The Umbrella Academy went live on Netflix today.

HDR is probably the best I've seen in video content.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
If Samsung doesn't make new 4K players supporting HDR10+, what other manufacturer will? Certainly not Sony. Because Samsung TVs don't support Dolby Vision, it would potentially means that for disk-based movies those TVs will only be able to support regular HDR for the foreseeable future. Think it's bad news for Samsung TV owners?

Panasonic , Pioner, Oppo all make them too.
It's probably a sign of the HDR wars calming down, content producers (except the financial people) all universally prefer the vastly superior infrastructure that Dolby offer,

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I very rarely see movie content where I can do frequently tell that it's HDR content I'm looking at , which is why this suprised me

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I very rarely see movie content where I can do frequently tell that it's HDR content I'm looking at , which is why this suprised me
Really? Not my experience at all. I think some of Netflix's other stuff does HDR even better, like some of the Marvel shows (that molotov scene in Punisher Season 2 whooo!) Altered Carbon, Sabrina. The HDR on Umbrella Academy is definitely great, but not even Netflix's best, let alone 4k Blu rays.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I didn't really think much of Sabrina or Altered Carbon's either! Illl check out the punisher, I've not watched it

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Oppo exited as well. They are updating their players still though and adding HDR10+. Really only options are Panasonic or Pioneer. If you want an Oppo it'll cost you upwards to about 900 to 1300 depending on new or used. if you want a 205 it'll be more. Glad I got one when it released. Even though none of my OLEDs have HDR10+ still a nice feature to have

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Does Pioneer make a standard 4k blu ray uhd player? The only thing I remember seeing from them is a uhd blu ray burner you can install to your pc. At least in the USA. Only big brands I can think of offering regular 4k players are sony and lg (now that samsung is exiting). Shame that Panasonic doesnt offer their items in the usa anymore.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense I guess. Physical media continues to die.

ocdFCyt.gif

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a dumb question... If I'm using a tv that doesn't support Dolby Vision, Dolby Vision content is still displayed in regular HDR right?

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
If it's a full spec 2.1 it has the bandwidth to do the full range. It's a 120hz native panel. As long as it is full HDMI 2.1 any tv will as long as it is native 120hz. The reason the current Sansungs cannot is because they are 2.0b. Doesn't have the bandwidth.

Until LG reveals what the VRR range, I would not be saying that it does until LG or a reviewer tests it. I hope it does as the 2019 LG's are the sets that are on my short list for this years TV.