• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Until LG reveals what the VRR range, I would not be saying that it does until LG or a reviewer tests it. I hope it does as the 2019 LG's are the sets that are on my short list for this years TV.

I can't wait to read all the reviews for all the new TVs.

For now I think I'll be happy with the C8 for a while, but you never know if something might make me do an impulse buy!

The C9 is a prime candidate for that kind of decision right now.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I can't wait to read all the reviews for all the new TVs.

For now I think I'll be happy with the C8 for a while, but you never know if something might make me do an impulse buy!

The C9 is a prime candidate for that kind of decision right now.

I love the look of the E9, but my current set is a 75" and not sure if going down to 65" would be a thing I want to do. But the 77" OLED are pretty pricey. I don't sit far from the TV, so perhaps I can go back to 65". But yeah, right now, just going by specs sheets the 2019 OLED LG line looks mighty impressive.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You need to enable it in the video settings

I just checked a few discs and it only plays HDR10.

A quick google search also shows them announcing DV support only for streaming apps.

edit: reading further it seems its not even planned anymore for MS to add Dolby Vision support for UHD discs. Might be some hardware limitation preventing that.

:D

It is? I've been out of the loop lately with news. I thought Dolby Vision support was only for streaming on xbox. I'll try a movie later tonight.

I got excited for nothing lol, its still the same as it was when they released the DV patch for streaming. No disc support.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018
For those who are still using PC ISF mode to get proper colors n the OLED... has anybody notice a sligh more input lag in this mode?

i know that most tests say thats its 21 ms just like game mode, but playing Metro on HDR Game was a little more responsives vs PC ISF.

or maybe was just a placebo??

Ogami Itto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully somebody can help me here, finally decided to take the plunge on getting a 4K TV (I know I'm pretty late to the game lol), my budget is $1000-$1200 and I'm looking for a 65'. Is HDMI 2.1 really necessary? Should I wait for the new TVs to drop (anybody know when?) and get an older model? Any recommendations right now? Thanks.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
For those who are still using PC ISF mode to get proper colors n the OLED... has anybody notice a sligh more input lag in this mode?

i know that most tests say thats its 21 ms just like game mode, but playing Metro on HDR Game was a little more responsives vs PC ISF.

or maybe was just a placebo??

If you are using 4:2:0 chroma, then yes absolutely more lag, all LG's inc their LCD's, suffer from it.

Apr 21, 2018
If you are using 4:2:0 chroma, then yes absolutely more lag, all LG's inc their LCD's, suffer from it.

nope, its YUV422 in the menu, but its a very subtle input lag.

also, funny note, Metro Exodus has way more shadow detail on SDR than HDR :O, HDR its a sligh more dark/crushed tone.

most HDR games tento to have more shadow detail or even direct grey blacks in general.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
nope, its YUV422 in the menu, but its a very subtle input lag.

also, funny note, Metro Exodus has way more shadow detail on SDR than HDR :O, HDR its a sligh more dark/crushed tone.

most HDR games tento to have more shadow detail or even direct grey blacks in general.

Might be due to the PC mode forcing 4:4:4..

I agree with the HDR blacks, really noticed this myself of late, with all new ganes having elevation to some degree, weird being that HDR is supposed to increase contrast and black level, not make it worse! Shadow and Crackdown 3 being bad culprits for this, not sure what hazy black is doing in C3? Very stylised, and cartoony, find it really difficult to believe that was decided on purpose.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
how are lip sync issues these days with soundbars?

eARC is something i'd want as it has some sort of lip sync tech but i don't think true HDMI 2.1 is in the cards for me.

right now i'm thinking a Q80R + the ~$500 Samsung soundbar would be a nice, easy set up but i hate audio lag issues

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
C8s are seriously impressive. I was at best buy and went to check it out and I didn't expect it to look that much better than my b7. Any idea if the c8 store demo is available to download anywhere?

woo

Nov 11, 2017
C8s are seriously impressive. I was at best buy and went to check it out and I didn't expect it to look that much better than my b7. Any idea if the c8 store demo is available to download anywhere?

What was the demo? A jeep driving through a stream, 2 fishermen shot from above, and so on is the 4K 'show this tv off' video demo that comes with the C8. I presume it is both for shop floor demo and impress family and friends at home purposes.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
What was the demo? A jeep driving through a stream, 2 fishermen shot from above, and so on is the 4K 'show this tv off' video demo that comes with the C8. I presume it is both for shop floor demo and impress family and friends at home purposes.

I mainly just want to compare the same scenes to see if it was the video itself that wow'ed me or the actual upgrades of the c8, or both lol

The demo included these scenes:

e44a9f4e-98df-48ac-aecjzq.jpeg

fe7d4e23-731e-4867-bfljqn.jpeg

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I mainly just want to compare the same scenes to see if it was the video itself that wow'ed me or the actual upgrades of the c8, or both lol

The demo included these scenes:

Yeah, that's the one I mentioned. The videos are nice and they do a good job of showing off what the tv is capable of which is the point of them after all. You would have to watch them on a different set to answer that for yourself I think. However, there is nothing in those videos in terms of the wow factor that you won't find in plenty of 4K UHD discs. I use my C8 for 4K UHD discs, Blu Rays, Nintendo Switch and some tv including non HD tv. 4K UHD discs are the pick of the litter, obviously, but Blu Rays and Switch games still often wow me and even non HD tv is perfectly fine.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yea don't get me wrong. I really love my b7 and have been impressed countless times. That demo reel was just really cool and it's like you say, it's playing off of the tv's strengths. Makes me excited for what's coming in the near future.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
So I got a 55" Q8F about a month ago now, and while I'm definitely enjoying it for the most part, the one thing that's sort of bothering me a bit is that there does seem to be some minor uniformity issues that tend to show up primarily in games, general PC stuff (like, think web sites and stuff), and animation. I'm sort of inclined to just live with it because it's really not that bad, and, from what I can gather, it seems like FALD displays are sort of prone to this in general, but I've never owned a TV with this technology before so I'm not 100% sure how this compares.
tYVcJuw.jpg

So, just to check, this is probably nothing really worth doing anything about, correct?

PinaColada

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm having a 65 A9F delivered Wednesday and will be moving my 65 E7 downstairs. Good bye trusty stead, but I can't wait to have the Sony processing again.

Funny thing, I was almost 100% going to go 75 Z9F but I couldn't leave OLED's grip.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Upgrading from B7 to C8 is not worth it. HDMI 2.1 is on the horizon and we will probably get brighter OLED panels with the 10 or 11 series.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Oh yea don't get me wrong. I really love my b7 and have been impressed countless times. That demo reel was just really cool and it's like you say, it's playing off of the tv's strengths. Makes me excited for what's coming in the near future.

Nice :). Did you have any joy in finding out if it was possible to download it so you could watch it on your B7? If not then it is possible to download other 4K content to show off a tv. At least that is my impression from previous posts ITT. I have never looked into myself.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Upgrading from B7 to C8 is not worth it. HDMI 2.1 is on the horizon and we will probably get brighter OLED panels with the 10 or 11 series.

I'm with you there, I would like to upgrade to a 10 if they're top emission and if they're not I'll give it one more year and get the 11. Top emission or not.

Nice :). Did you have any joy in finding out if it was possible to download it so you could watch it on your B7? If not then it is possible to download other 4K content to show off a tv. At least that is my impression from previous posts ITT. I have never looked into myself.

No luck, I can't even find a low quality version of it on youtube. 4k media.org has a ton of cool videos to show off your tv. Speaking of demos, Dolby removed the "see. hear. spectacular" demo from the dolby app, that was so good. Such a shame.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
So, my roommate is moving out and taking the nice TV with him. I have a Sony 2007 40"-ish HDTV, so it's probably time for an upgrade. I'd like to get something that would be good for the next ten* years, and something under $2k if possible. Have an X1, but am planning to get a X1X / PS4 Pro this year. Looking at OP, but any suggestions? Size can be anywhere from 45" to 65".

EDIT: Ten years instead of two.

Last edited:

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh didn't even realize that limitation.

Yeah. When I set my Apple TV 4K to Dolby Vision and 60Hz it drops back to HDR. DV is capped at 30Hz on the B6, which isn't a massive issue as you should be using 24Hz either way, but the Xbox doesn't seem to offer this backwards capability and just drops support entirely.

I'm not upgrading a 6-series to an 8, so no way would I just update for one generational improvement. It's worth considering that the immaculate demo material used to demo the C8 in stores would likely look as good on the B7 anyway.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Was going to buy a new receiver but I've decided to hold off and wait until new TVs in 2020. Save money over this year and hopefully have enough to get a good 55 or 65 inch. I doubt MicroLED will be priced to where I can afford it by then but I do want something good as a monitor and gaming TV. But I'd pretty much use it for everything just like I do with my Vizio P-50 C1. HDMI 2.1, 4K @ 120hz and eARC are TV goals.

OLED burn in is a deal breaker for me so I probably won't go with that. I need something just as good, maybe 2020 will bring such things!

woo

Nov 11, 2017
No luck, I can't even find a low quality version of it on youtube. 4k media.org has a ton of cool videos to show off your tv. Speaking of demos, Dolby removed the "see. hear. spectacular" demo from the dolby app, that was so good. Such a shame.

That is unfortunate but thanks for mentioning that website, I will give it a look. That Dolby demo has me intrigued. I can't remember seeing one on my C8 but will have a look just in case I skipped over it and in the unlikely event that my set still has that demo on it.

For what it is worth, although I love my C8, I agree with those that suggest you stick with your current set. Leave it a few years until the upgrade from your current set is clear and the tech has advanced but is not brand new so you get it at a better price. Enjoy your B7.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, my roommate is moving out and taking the nice TV with him. I have a Sony 2007 40"-ish HDTV, so it's probably time for an upgrade. I'd like to get something that would be good for the next two years, and something under $2k if possible. Have an X1, but am planning to get a X1X / PS4 Pro this year. Looking at OP, but any suggestions? Size can be anywhere from 45" to 65".

Honestly, you're casting an extremely wide net here so it's hard to make a precise recommendation. Most of the TV's folks in this thread have used/would recommend have an option within that size/price range. Can you narrow things down a bit further? My biggest questions for you are:

- You mentioned wanting a TV that's "good for the next two years", does this mean you plan to invest in a higher-end TV around that time?
- What kind of room will it be used in and during what time of day? IE: Dark room used mostly at night, Bright room used mostly during the day, etc...
- Tying back to question #1, do you have any life changes coming up that would make you regret buying a bigger/smaller TV now?
- What kind of other content do you use your TV for?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
might be a long shot, but whats the best way to try and get a US only TV to the UK? Specifically a Vizio.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
Was hoping for some feedback. I use my tv as my PC, for gaming and regular pc stuff. Which of these two would honestly be best.
Does the freesync that the Samsung offer make a difference when playing competitive games from a nvidia pc?

Samsung NU8000 (LCD, 4k, HDR, 49-82 inches, 18ms input lag)
Vizio P Series (2018)(LCD, 4k, HDR, 55-75 inches, 15ms input lag, 27ms input lag @4k HDR) (US Only)

Last edited:

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, how big of a deal is HDMI 2.1? Is it worth saying a C8 or 900F is completely outclassed without it? That seems crazy for how nice those TVs seem to be.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was hoping for some feedback. I use my tv as my PC, for gaming and regular pc stuff. Which of these two would honestly be best.
Does the freesync that the Samsung offer make a difference when playing competitive games from a nvidia pc?

Samsung NU8000 (LCD, 4k, HDR, 49-82 inches, 18ms input lag)
Vizio P Series (2018)(LCD, 4k, HDR, 55-75 inches, 15ms input lag, 27ms input lag @4k HDR) (US Only)

Between those two I would definitely pick the Vizio.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica

I disagree. Upgrading from a B7 to a C8 is exactly what I did, for just one reason: Dynamic Tone Mapping in HDR game mode.

All HDR games have now better highlights and brightness, without crushing the blacks. And yes, without messing with Dynamic Contrast (bad). Its like a LG-made Game-mode Dolby Vision.

Another extra I noticed after the purchase: the interface is faster on the C8 than on the B7. First boot up to apps, apps resume, app switch, etc. B7 was pretty quick but if was laggy compared to the C8.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, you're casting an extremely wide net here so it's hard to make a precise recommendation. Most of the TV's folks in this thread have used/would recommend have an option within that size/price range. Can you narrow things down a bit further? My biggest questions for you are:

- You mentioned wanting a TV that's "good for the next two years", does this mean you plan to invest in a higher-end TV around that time?
- What kind of room will it be used in and during what time of day? IE: Dark room used mostly at night, Bright room used mostly during the day, etc...
- Tying back to question #1, do you have any life changes coming up that would make you regret buying a bigger/smaller TV now?
- What kind of other content do you use your TV for?

Lol, I had a typo, should be ten years, not two years. Got my current TV in 2007, replacing it in 2019 most likely, so something that'll last 10-12 years. I have heard nice things about OLEDs, but that's about it.

1) Living room, mostly during the evening. I live in Seattle, so it's rarely "bright", but during the day on the weekends and evenings on weekdays. During the summer it'll be light most of the time though.

2) None that I know of - I might be moving soon ish but the size of the wall will be roughly the same. My roommate moved out and he had almost all the furniture (and the TV), so I have ultimate flexibility on the arrangement of the living room now.

3) Primarily watching Netflix / Hulu / Amazon Prime (via X1) and playing video games.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, I had a typo, should be ten years, not two years. Got my current TV in 2007, replacing it in 2019 most likely, so something that'll last 10-12 years. I have heard nice things about OLEDs, but that's about it.

1) Living room, mostly during the evening. I live in Seattle, so it's rarely "bright", but during the day on the weekends and evenings on weekdays. During the summer it'll be light most of the time though.

2) None that I know of - I might be moving soon ish but the size of the wall will be roughly the same. My roommate moved out and he had almost all the furniture (and the TV), so I have ultimate flexibility on the arrangement of the living room now.

3) Primarily watching Netflix / Hulu / Amazon Prime (via X1) and playing video games.

No worries! I thought there might be a typo involved on that year count but didn't want to assume! Personally, I'd recommend either the Samsung Q8 or the LG B8, both in 55" for your needs then. The B8 has amazing blacks that you'll really be able to appreciate in a darker setting. The Samsung Q8 has fantastic brightness overall and even includes some forward-thinking features like HDR10+ and Freesync. However, it doesn't feature Dolby Vision. That tends to push most people in this thread towards the LG B8.

Overall, they're both top of the line sets that should last you a good long while. By the time you're ready to upgrade again you'll probably be looking at Micro-LED and QD-OLED sets anyway so the landscape will be completely different.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica

Get a B8 or C8 depending on the price difference. Netflix has Dolby Vision in pretty much all of their generated content and its great. You wont need to pass the content through your Xbox One, as the TV is more than capable of running Netlifx, Prime, etc with full HDR, Dolby Vision, etc.

The sheer quality of the final image passing through a true black (and thus, better colored) display, is phenomenal.

I help my friends with their TV purchases. Some cannot afford an OLED, so I'm familiar with the "next best options". Sony x900f is a good choice.

LG:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c8

Sony:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900f

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
No worries! I thought there might be a typo involved on that year count but didn't want to assume! Personally, I'd recommend either the Samsung Q8 or the LG B8, both in 55" for your needs then. The B8 has amazing blacks that you'll really be able to appreciate in a darker setting. The Samsung Q8 has fantastic brightness overall and even includes some forward-thinking features like HDR10+ and Freesync. However, it doesn't feature Dolby Vision. That tends to push most people in this thread towards the LG B8.

Overall, they're both top of the line sets that should last you a good long while. By the time you're ready to upgrade again you'll probably be looking at Micro-LED and QD-OLED sets anyway so the landscape will be completely different.

Ahh, thank ya! What is Dolby Vision / why is it so great compared to HDR10+ (which I'm guessing is a souped up HDR upscaling of some kind?) and Freesync (which I thought was for PC monitors and gaming?)

Get a B8 or C8 depending on the price difference. Netflix has Dolby Vision in pretty much all of their generated content and its great. You wont need to pass the content through your Xbox One, as the TV is more than capable of running Netlifx, Prime, etc with full HDR, Dolby Vision, etc.

The sheer quality of the final image passing through a true black (and thus, better colored) display, is phenomenal.

I help my friends with their TV purchases. Some cannot afford an OLED, so I'm familiar with the "next best options". Sony x900f is a good choice.

LG:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c8

Sony:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900f

Thank ya! Now just to find out when those go on sale...

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Ahh, thank ya! What is Dolby Vision / why is it so great compared to HDR10+ (which I'm guessing is a souped up HDR upscaling of some kind?) and Freesync (which I thought was for PC monitors and gaming?)

Dolby Vision gives you dynamic metadata on each particular frame of your content (movie, stream and/or game).

Regular HDR is mastered at 1000 or 4000 nits in movies. Some games use 10.000 nits (Assassins Creed). Any of the regular TVs you could have will have from 600 to around 1000 nits. What happens when you have a 4000 nits scene?

Well, the whole scene will get tone mapped to your display, showing you something not particularly accurate.

Dolby Vision fixes this by providing metadata for each specific frame on each scene, so that you are not tied to the 1000 or 4000 or 10000 mastering. Each scene will have its own metadata and brightness level.

Apologies for using a marketing image, it may not be this extreme in real life:

LG_HDR_Comparison_resize.jpg

LG also provides Dynamic Tone Mapping for Game Mode (similar to what Dolby Vision does) so that your games also benefit on each scene. I actually switched form a 2017 OLED to a 2018 OLED just for this, as Dolby Vision was just too good in movies so I wanted something similar on games.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Ahh, thank ya! What is Dolby Vision / why is it so great compared to HDR10+ (which I'm guessing is a souped up HDR upscaling of some kind?) and Freesync (which I thought was for PC monitors and gaming?

Dolby Vision is actaully constructed of lots and lots of different variations and formats, but in a nutshell.

SDR/LDR and HDR have to have separate considerations made when a movie is graded.

So take this situation for example
Below this person standing is front of the window.
The intention is to show that the character is in a darker room looking out into the bright outisde, the intention is to show just how bright it is outside. So to intensifiy this and place more of the focus on the outside, the contrast is increased and dark areas are pushed down and made darker.
This has been graded with a maximum luminance of 100nits in mind.
HAugIk7.png

Now in HDR world, we have a more larger scope as to how we can present the image, in a perfect world they can show how bright the outside is by using a naturally higher value for the intensity of the brightness.
Lets say it's 4000nits.
Now because we have created an additional 4.5 steps of dynamic range, we have actually increased the contrast, simply by using a more natual range of light.
Because of this, there is no need to get rid of shadow tone detail and artifically boost the contrast quite so much, so you will see that perhaps there is more detail visible to the user
6wV14a6.png

So these little changes are made scene by scene throughout the move, we now have 2 entirely different versions of the movie, both trying to deliver the same end artistic intent.
1 designed for a display with 100nits of max luminance (SDR) and another one designed for a display of 4000nits.

However, which version do you use for a dispaly with 700nits? or 1200nits? Or 300nits?

This is where Dolby Vision comes in, these 2 different grades can be run through Dolby's proprietory system
This 100nit REC709 standard colourspace grade and a 4000nit BT2020 grade then get compared by they system and the system works out what the differences are in tone and the colour between the 2 versions in every frame.

This difference data or "metadata" is then used by your display to create a variant of the movie on your screen that sits between these 2 versions and is appropriate to your display's capabilities.

Content producers can actually produce more grades in this too, it's also possible that they create a 600 nit target and 1000 nit target for current OLED and LCD displays respectively and they are also run through this same system to provide more accurate data about how to blend the tone for the display.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
Dolby Vision gives you dynamic metadata on each particular frame of your content (movie, stream and/or game).

Regular HDR is mastered at 1000 or 4000 nits in movies. Some games use 10.000 nits (Assassins Creed). Any of the regular TVs you could have will have from 600 to around 1000 nits. What happens when you have a 4000 nits scene?

Well, the whole scene will get tone mapped to your display, showing you something not particularly accurate.

Dolby Vision fixes this by providing metadata for each specific frame on each scene, so that you are not tied to the 1000 or 4000 or 10000 mastering. Each scene will have its own metadata and brightness level.

Apologies for using a marketing image, it may not be this extreme in real life:

LG_HDR_Comparison_resize.jpg

LG also provides Dynamic Tone Mapping for Game Mode (similar to what Dolby Vision does) so that your games also benefit on each scene. I actually switched form a 2017 OLED to a 2018 OLED just for this, as Dolby Vision was just too good in movies so I wanted something similar on games.
Dolby Vision is actaully constructed of lots and lots of different variations and formats, but in a nutshell.

SDR/LDR and HDR have to have separate considerations made when a movie is graded.

So take this situation for example
Below this person standing is front of the window.
The intention is to show that the character is in a darker room looking out into the bright outisde, the intention is to show just how bright it is outside. So to intensifiy this and place more of the focus on the outside, the contrast is increased and dark areas are pushed down and made darker.
This has been graded with a maximum luminance of 100nits in mind.
HAugIk7.png

Now in HDR world, we have a more larger scope as to how we can present the image, in a perfect world they can show how bright the outside is by using a naturally higher value for the intensity of the brightness.
Lets say it's 4000nits.
Now because we have created an additional 4.5 steps of dynamic range, we have actually increased the contrast, simply by using a more natual range of light.
Because of this, there is no need to get rid of shadow tone detail and artifically boost the contrast quite so much, so you will see that perhaps there is more detail visible to the user
6wV14a6.png

So these little changes are made scene by scene throughout the move, we now have 2 entirely different versions of the movie, both trying to deliver the same end artistic intent.
1 designed for a display with 100nits of max luminance (SDR) and another one designed for a display of 4000nits.

However, which version do you use for a dispaly with 700nits? or 1200nits? Or 300nits?

This is where Dolby Vision comes in, these 2 different grades can be run through Dolby's proprietory system
This 100nit REC709 standard colourspace grade and a 4000nit BT2020 grade then get compared by they system and the system works out what the differences are in tone and the colour between the 2 versions in every frame.

This difference data or "metadata" is then used by your display to create a variant of the movie on your screen that sits between these 2 versions and is appropriate to your display's capabilities.

Content producers can actually produce more grades in this too, it's also possible that they create a 600 nit target and 1000 nit target for current OLED and LCD displays respectively and they are also run through this same system to provide more accurate data about how to blend the tone for the display.

Oh wow. Ok, yeah, that's worth it.

Is there a difference between the E8 and C8? Right now I have no sound system except the TV itself (and on my xbox, I have a turtle beach wireless headset setup) - so do I need to look at getting a decent sound system / bar / etc?

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Oh wow. Ok, yeah, that's worth it.

Is there a difference between the E8 and C8? Right now I have no sound system except the TV itself (and on my xbox, I have a turtle beach wireless headset setup) - so do I need to look at getting a decent sound system / bar / etc?

Difference is basically the sound. I got one of the LG´s soundbars for the B7 and it works great on the C8 as well. I wouldn't recommend the actual TV speakers, both the B7 and C8 sound very "compressed" without the soundbar.

Havent "heard" the E8 but I think the best bet would be to consider an actual sound bar with a C8.