• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
For for the benefit of 7 series folks, the 8 is so much brighter in HDR without DTM, even with it enabled there are many times it's actually dimmer than off! I just don't understand why LG won't sort it, when 6 and 8 are perfectly fine, crazy.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
For for the benefit of 7 series folks, the 8 is so much brighter in HDR without DTM, even with it enabled there are many times it's actually dimmer than off! I just don't understand why LG won't sort it, when 6 and 8 are perfectly fine, crazy.

You're not making the wait for c9 prices to plummet easy on me lol

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
What scenarios occur that make Dynamic Tone Mapping on the 8 series actually dim the screen? I thought it always just brightened up the image. Do you recommend leaving it off then personally?

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
What scenarios occur that make Dynamic Tone Mapping on the 8 series actually dim the screen? I thought it always just brightened up the image. Do you recommend leaving it off then personally?

It depends on the game and the mastering etc, with 1000 nit games it's a bit of a toss up, some parts brighter some not, but always brighter than 7 series, but get to 4K and 10K nit games, DTM really comes into its own.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
Hello everyone. I'm moving into my own appartement soon and I'm looking for a new tv. The TV I have my eyes on is the Samsung NU8000 65 inch. Atm I don't have a 4k TV. How does 1080p content (base PS4 and Switch) look on it? Havent upgraded to a Pro yet and I dont know if I will with the PS5 coming soon. Mainly looking forward to having a 4k TV which I'll be able to play the PS5 on next year Will the NU8000 last me through the years?

And my budget is €1000 max really, which is what the NU8000 65 inch costs here atm.

I have the 65 inch NU8000 and I really like it.

I'm in the same boat re: waiting for PS5.

1080p content looks great, though you'll want to turn down the sharpening setting.
Surprisingly, I find Switch games end up faring better than PS4 games, possibly because they have less detail overall, and so experience less shimmering.

My favorite part of the TV is its excellent 1440p scaler. I have my PC hooked up to the TV, and even if my gpu can't handle 4K 60,
I'm finding that 1440 looks damn near identical.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
It depends on the game and the mastering etc, with 1000 nit games it's a bit of a toss up, some parts brighter some not, but always brighter than 7 series, but get to 4K and 10K nit games, DTM really comes into its own.
Ok thanks for the info! So you think maybe leave it off for 1k nit games but leave it on for 4 and 10k? Sorry for the dumb question but Is there a way to tell what nits a game is mastered at? Somewhere in the settings does it tell you or do you just search the web per game?

Oct 27, 2017
So I haven't really said much regarding the C8 vs C7, the game mode from a ps4pro seems brighter or have a bit more pop. I can't really make an apples to apples comparison.
Anyone else use BFI on a B or C8 for gaming? I really like it, clears up the blur really well and the flickering blends in when you are playing, used to love it on my W905 Sony.

Shit how do you do that?

NM I figured it out..

Last edited:

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I haven't updated my Sony X900e since I got it in the fall of 2017 because I heard Sony kept screwing up PQ with them. Have they ironed a lot of that stuff out?

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
I still want to stick with 04.10.15 firmware right? for the c8
Personally, I say stay there for now. I rolled back my firmware to 4.10.15 after updating to .31 and really disliking it. Not updating until they fix the black crush, it was really bad on my set. Vincent for hdtvtest says that lg is working on a fix but the recent updates haven't focused on the gamma yet. Hopefully a fix isn't too far out but who knows.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
Are we expecting the h8f and h9f Hisense sets to be the new best in the sub 1k price range? They both sound pretty impressive on paper. Looking for a $500~ real HDR set. Almost went with the TCL 6 and the Vizio P that was on sale around there. Is the h8f supposed to be better than these?

I have a ks8000 in the living room. Looking for a basement TV where I can play my 1x and PS4 pro games and not feel like I'm missing out on anything by playing in the basement.

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I say stay there for now. I rolled back my firmware to 4.10.15 after updating to .31 and really disliking it. Not updating until they fix the black crush, it was really bad on my set. Vincent for hdtvtest says that lg is working on a fix but the recent updates haven't focused on the gamma yet. Hopefully a fix isn't too far out but who knows.
Ok cool thank you.

Jun 10, 2018
Are we expecting the h8f and h9f Hisense sets to be the new best in the sub 1k price range? They both sound pretty impressive on paper. Looking for a $500~ real HDR set. Almost went with the TCL 6 and the Vizio P that was on sale around there. Is the h8f supposed to be better than these?

I have a ks8000 in the living room. Looking for a basement TV where I can play my 1x and PS4 pro games and not feel like I'm missing out on anything by playing in the basement.
There are a few reviews for the H8F (and some Youtube reviews) while only one review provides measurements: https://hdguru.com/review-hisense-55h8f-elevates-4k-hdr-at-a-value/

No direct comparisons with the TCL 6 Series, but it gives you an idea. I am either looking at the Hisense 50" H8F or the Vizio 43"/50" 2019 M-Series. Looking like it's going to be the 50H8F but still not sure.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ready Player One is such an awesome HDR showcase. Looks incredible on my C8.

Even if the movie itself is not great, the visuals makes it worth watching.

rou021

Oct 27, 2017
That's not what I intended to convey.

Let me give you an illustrative example. The other day on AVSForum some dude was posting pictures of his OLED TV setup with some Philips Hue lightstrips doing an Ambilight type thing with Hue Sync. If you're unfamiliar with the concept, it analyzes the content of the image and projects colored lights onto your wall to give you a sense of having a more expansive visual field. It's a bit gimmicky, but it's a fun gimmick from time to time. Anyway you can probably guess the direction of the comments. A bunch of people piled on him saying "You don't need accent lighting with an OLED, you'll compromise your black levels" and "Any bias lighting that is not 6500K will throw off your color accuracy." Some people allowed that it was OK if you were playing a video game, but not when doing "critical viewing".

The pretentious part here is not these people enjoy the image they get from a calibrated set, it's that they believe this is the only correct way for anyone to use a TV, and that people doing anything else are getting an objectively inferior experience.

Also if you describe what you are doing as "critical viewing" and it is not related your job, that's pretty pretentious on its own.
At least they didn't tell the guy he should also paint his walls with that (ridiculously expensive) Munsell professional grade neutral gray paint (he totally should!). Fair enough though. Sometimes people like that can be overbearing. I do think at least a portion of them are genuinely trying to be helpful.

For example, when enthusiasts say you shouldn't use another person's settings on your own set, there's more to it than it not being as accurate as a proper calibration. It can actually make the picture worse. In the case of the newer LG OLEDs, brightness (aka black level) could be set anywhere from 48 to 63 on a calibrated set. If you use 63 on a set the should be lower, then you risk losing perfect black, washing out details, and reducing contrast; 48 on a 63 set will crush black and throw off your gamma. And this is just the brightness setting. Copying all of the settings over is incredibly tedious and time consuming (especially if you're doing multiple modes and presets), yet the end result of all that work is likely to be a worse picture. In fact, just using one of the out of the box presets like ISF or Technicolor should be more accurate, look better, and take almost no time at all.

In this example, the enthusiast advice would save someone a lot of time and frustration. Granted, other comments like the bias light one might be a bit less so and occasionally people can get a bit snooty, but it's more often just people trying to be helpful. Some could certainly benefit from having better delivery though.

Concerning critical viewing, nerds like analyzing things as a part of their hobbies. Remember criticism isn't just about finding flaws, but also about appreciating the good components of something and gaining a better understanding of how it works. That can apply to the technology used to watch movies and TV or it can apply to the content itself. Indeed, the better the equipment and setup, the easier it is to notice and analyze different aspects of the content like cinematography, color timing/grading, production design, etc. As much as it might seem like a bunch of pretentious fart sniffers doing mental wankery, more often than not it's simply enthusiasts nerding out and lacking enough perspective to realize that not everyone gets into this stuff as much as they do. I wouldn't be too harsh on them.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
Got an e-mail from Zavvi this morning apologizing for the one yesterday saying I'd won Champions League tickets (everyone got one lol) along with a goodwill discount code for 15% off in stock items which I thought I'd share: 15GOGW

It's valid until the 17th May and it stacks with the 2 for £30 offer on UHDs as well...

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Ok thanks for the info! So you think maybe leave it off for 1k nit games but leave it on for 4 and 10k? Sorry for the dumb question but Is there a way to tell what nits a game is mastered at? Somewhere in the settings does it tell you or do you just search the web per game?

Probably worth leaving it on, no clear advantage or disadvantage for 1K from what I can see, whereas you'll just gain going higher, that way you won't need to worry about mastering.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
so this morning on my b6 i was alerted to an update -- 05.30.60.

didn't install it right away, but that certainly was random. anybody else get this?

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
Probably worth leaving it on, no clear advantage or disadvantage for 1K from what I can see, whereas you'll just gain going higher, that way you won't need to worry about mastering.
Oh ok thanks! So the dimming you were talking about with dtm isn't that big of a deal? Or at least the benefits outweigh the negatives in your opinion?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Is there any TV in the EU in the 300-400€ range that has decent HDR?

I'm not an expert like some people here but for the research I did here in EU (where we don't have good TCL or the Vizio Quantum P TVs) the first step of actual good HDR is the XF900 at 900€... so no :( Maybe the NU8000/Q6 at 600/700 would do the trick but I keep reading mixed messages.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not an expert like some people here but for the research I did here in EU (where we don't have good TCL or the Vizio Quantum P TVs) the first step of actual good HDR is the XF900 at 900€... so no :( Maybe the NU8000/Q6 at 600/700 would do the trick but I keep reading mixed messages.

Hmm yeah that lines up with my own research, I guess I'll still wait a few more years, I'm not in a rush aslong as my trust 2012 Samsung 32" TV still works :P

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Oh ok thanks! So the dimming you were talking about with dtm isn't that big of a deal? Or at least the benefits outweigh the negatives in your opinion?

No, most of the time it's either slightly dimmer, or brighter.

BTW 8 people, there is a new engineering mode firmware update out, and it fixes black crush and flashing blocks, it's on a new firmware number too :)

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
Nice! Hopefully this update will be the last that changes the gamma curve. I want to get my tv calibrated but I've been waiting for them to stop tweaking things otherwise I'd need to get calibrated all over again

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Justice League vs The Fatal Five looked extra nice in almost every way in the 4K HDR version. Better color, eye-catching highlights on the effects, etc. Really liked it. Much better enhancement than some of the other DC animated movies have had.
Also had a lot of fun with the movie and its characters and fights. Really liked the Jessica Cruz newcomer Green Lantern thing since I didn't know her at all, really good lead for the movie, and especially Miss Martian was awesome too, probably my favorite from the movie, and having her kind of being mentored a bit by Batman was really fun. Their dynamic was great.

Batman saying "Bring it, Skeletor!" was glorious, I couldn't stop laughing.
2sykk7.gif
2rpi10.gif

2syfxb.gif

Just watched Into the Spider-Verse on 4k Blu-Ray on my 803... Holy flurking schmidt. This is by far the best purchase I've ever made. Absolutely unreal. The scenes with Kingpin when he filled the screen were as creepy as they'll get, just a little ball of flesh in a sea of pure black. I want more!
Yup, it looks insane. I've already watched it several extra times because of that lmao.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Hmm yeah that lines up with my own research, I guess I'll still wait a few more years, I'm not in a rush aslong as my trust 2012 Samsung 32" TV still works :P

Yea, I personally would't call what the NU8000 or Q6FN/Q70R (this is basically this years Q6FN) offers as good HDR, but its definitely a step a above those TVs that are really fake "HDR" like the Samsung 7 series or the Sony 800s. You will get a much brighter picture with those TVs, but to see a real HDR that you see people being blown away by, you have to go a step above them with something like and the Q8 or X900F.

You are better off saving a few hundred dollars more and going for the real thing, even if you have to wait a bit more.

Of course, those cheaper TVs are a good alternative if you need a TV right now and have no choice with your budget. Even those fake HDR TVs are decent at playing 4k content and basic stuff, so they all have their uses and their market.

BTW 8 people, there is a new engineering mode firmware update out, and it fixes black crush and flashing blocks, it's on a new firmware number too :)

Is this going to be the next regular update they release?

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Yea, I personally would't call what the NU8000 or Q6FN/Q70R (this is basically this years Q6FN) offers as good HDR, but its definitely a step a above those TVs that are really fake "HDR" like the Samsung 7 series or the Sony 800s. You will get a much brighter picture with those TVs, but to see a real HDR that you see people being blown away by, you have to go a step above them with something like and the Q8 or X900F.

You are better off saving a few hundred dollars more and going for the real thing, even if you have to wait a bit more.

Of course, those cheaper TVs are a good alternative if you need a TV right now and have no choice with your budget. Even those fake HDR TVs are decent at playing 4k content and basic stuff, so they all have their uses and their market.

Yeah, unless it does something bad to the TV!

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017

I see, thanks for clearing this up for me! :) Well I'll say I'll wait a few more years then like said, my current TV is still working and with how little I use TVs I can't justify paying more than 400€ for one even if I could afford it, it
was just a bit of a "new tech itch" since my mum got a new one :P Once "good HDR" reaches that price-point I'll bite!

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, I'm currently looking for a new TV since my current one is crapping out on me (this happens during very dark scenes, have disabled everything that should cause it to happen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otIvHCuzX5U&feature=youtu.be ).

I want the LGC8, but it's just too much money for me to spend right now. Is the Sony XF9005 still a good buy or should I look at something newer? Can have the 65" for a much more reasonable price.
My main points I want are good blacks and no awful backlight bleeding. My current TV has big clouds all over the screen and I hate it. Looking for something in the 1200-1400€ price range.

I'm not the biggest fan of Android TV after having a pretty bad experience with it on my current TV. Apps are crashing, TV just straight up restarts every now and then if I'm on the latest firmware (running it with the factory firmware now to get around that).

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
anyone have a Sony X800E or X800G? picked up the TCL 5 series (43 inch) but the viewing angles are so trash that I'm thinking about returning it to Amazon and picking up one of the Sony TVs with an IPS panel.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Ok. Finally pulled the trigger after a 12 years of keeping my old LG LCD tv! Went for a 55 inch Toshiba Fire TV edition, and i just can say im very happy about it! I just cant atm see any 4k content ( my consoles , chromecast are not 4k ), but for delivering great 1080p picture, its night and day compare to my old tv! I just hope its a reliable tv, that will last me a good 5-6 years at least. Crossing fingers!

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Saw the 8K Q900R in person for the first time. Completely unimpressive, 8K won't be a thing until manufacturers flat out force it on people by downsizing their 4K product lines.

I dunno I thought it was terrible. My gf and I watched it on my OLED and it when it ended we both sighed and went "ughhh, what a piece of shit" and then we talked about how awful it was for like 5 minutes.
Fight me.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
The movie itself is not bad. I don't understand why it gets so much hate online.

It's simply perfectly acceptable more often than not, but it has some really over the top moments, and many of the nostalgia bombs were doomed to fail for a large portion of the audience that likely saw it in the theaters. Many wouldn't have even been old enough to get them, or at best would have likely only seen the source material in passing since they were rooted in 80s pop culture. The ending fight was a mess though, and Endgame looked like it wanted really badly to emulate it.

The most I got out of it, other than it looking pretty good at times was the audio. It had a fantastic mix.

Nice, hope it doesn't break something new in the process. Kind of want to update, but I've left it at .15 for now, but since I've had it, it looked kind of washed out to me compared to the B6 and E6. The update after was supposed to have fixed that, but it's also what introduced the black crush.

maGs

Oct 27, 2017
Ok I've looked and searched but I cant seem to find a consistent answer.

Can you guys recommend me a 75in tv under 2k? Theres so many options out there my head is swimming

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas

Can you guys recommend me a 75in tv under 2k? Theres so many options out there my head is swimming

If you want a decent budget option that will give you real HDR then probably the 75" 6 series from TCL.

I can't think of anything else under that price for that size that would be worth recommending unless you want to sacrifice a lot of picture quality.

Example: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-75...d-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6319339.p?skuId=6319339

Oct 27, 2017
If you want a decent budget option that will give you real HDR then probably the 75" 6 series from TCL.

I can't think of anything else under that price for that size that would be worth recommending unless you want to sacrifice a lot of picture quality.

Example: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-75...d-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6319339.p?skuId=6319339

Wait there may be something better.

Probably 900 series from Sony. You can get a 75" new online for around that much.

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
For a low budget TV/Monitor hybrid, would this work? https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0...392-182d8c1e93fc&pf_rd_r=9NTXBTWBSRVBC9F9J3NX

I want something 4K for some stuff and I generally sit a little far away from my PC desk, with a wireless keyboard and a lapboard(weird setup, I know). I'll probably use something like display fusion to split it into multiple fake-monitors for work purposes.

My fear is that text would be unreadable or something of the sort, but is there a way to find out before buying it?

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
I'm really pissed at LG here. They took my OLED TV to replace the screen thanks to the %25 window error. After a week I called them to ask about when the repair Will be finished and they said after 45 Days from now....

They said that the screen is coming from South Korea, but why take my TV from now if it's gonna take that long?