• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Talk about misinformation if you are going to jump in then follow the thread. Members have posted pictures on the site here on this thread just look back the last few pages or see below. Also I guess I started this by accident and i am an oled owner. You seem to get overly critical whenever it is brought up to other people. So I am going to flip the table. Honestly I don't give a shit that your 3 year old tv does not have burn in, it does not mean that other people's do not.
You are weirdly aggressive in your tone here.

Yeah people do have burn in, but did you read the guy's post. He himself said he played the same game an absurd amount.

He did it to himself. You play hundreds to thousands of hours of the same HUD, it's eventually going to wear pixels unevenly.

Everyone's been warned and knows the drill.

Are you trying to console war TV's?

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah people do have burn in, but did you read the guy's post. He himself said he played the same game an absurd amount.

He did it to himself. You play hundreds to thousands of hours of the same HUD, it's eventually going to wear pixels unevenly.

It was addressed to him specifically. There is a history there with this.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was addressed to him specifically. There is a history there with this.

The history being you stoke the fire every time then accuse others of being aggressive? Got it.

As someone else already posted, the guy abused his set, hence, burn-in. For someone who claims to not even game on the OLED he claims to own, you seem to think yourself an expert on gaming on an OLED, which seems odd.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018

In his defense the post he replied to was dismissive. It was a fair response. Now I see the two have history but still.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe I should just be smart about it and wait to see what the next-gen console announcements will entail.

Oct 27, 2017
The history being you stoke the fire every time then accuse others of being aggressive? Got it.

As someone else already posted, the guy abused his set, hence, burn-in. For someone who claims to not even game on the OLED he claims to own, you seem to think yourself an expert on gaming on an OLED, which seems odd.

You act like if someone has abused the tv if it has burn in or is the fault of the owner. You have called people out for playing games for too long. This is abuse? I am not sure if you are paying attention this thread is in the gaming forum. As far a the seem to own comment, we aren't going there again are we? I posted a picture of it last year just to shut you up then. I bought 77 c8 less than a month ago as well. So stop it with this.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
9FcTEiI.jpg

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Okay if you guys really wanna fight over something, let it be the fact that I use a budget samsung 2018 lcd.

The black levels are horrendous guys, and I didn't even try to calibrate it.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Maybe I should just be smart about it and wait to see what the next-gen console announcements will entail.
I don't think 8k is next gen. Hence why I'm comfortable going with a 55" Sony X900 series model. It's crazy how I always try to run away from Sony TVs but always keep coming back to them some how. Last 15 years I've owned two. Now this, haha. Thanks to chromatic9 and Kerotan advice. Thanks, fam!

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I don't think 8k is next gen. Hence why I'm comfortable going with a 55" Sony X900 series model. It's crazy how I always try to run away from Sony TVs but always keep coming back to them some how. Last 15 years I've owned two. Now this, haha. Thanks to chromatic9 and Kerotan advice. Thanks, fam!
These LCD LED's are very mature tech and should last very long. Just out of interest how much under budget is this TV and are you going for the 49" or 55"?

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You act like if someone has abused the tv if it has burn in or is the fault of the owner. You have called people out for playing games for too long. This is abuse? I am not sure if you are paying attention this thread is in the gaming forum. As far a the seem to own comment, we aren't going there again are we? I posted a picture of it last year just to shut you up then. I bought 77 c8 less than a month ago as well. So stop it with this.

What are you blathering on about now? I haven't called anyone out - well, apart from you for your ridiculous statement which yet again inflamed the whole discussion. You stated that you shouldn't be gaming on an OLED right? Yet, by your own admission, you don't. Yet you manage to ignore the many people on this thread who do game on their OLED sets, and have no burn-in?

If you truly believed that gaming should be limited to LCD/LED sets, then you wouldn't be watching any 2.35:1 material on your OLED as the amount of wear you would aggregate with normal levels of gaming, will be matched by your viewing of letterboxed movies.

I'll say again, and I don't think I can be any clearer on this - you will be fine gaming on an OLED if you are going to be playing any one game for 100 hours before moving on to another - if you are going to be putting 1000s of hours into the same title, I would *not* recommend an OLED for this kind of gaming activity. This is not controversial, this is based on both my own experience, and the experience of others who have similar gaming patterns i.e. not you.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
It isn't totally fine, it will sometimes be at the old measurement, but it's mostly good now. You have to restart the TV if it's in the bad input lag in HDR game mode. Hopefully fixed in an update.

I've never seen it fluctuate. Are you sure your issues aren't with VRR being on? Apparently the new update from 5/20 fixes the VRR lag choppiness.

Reckoner

Oct 26, 2017
A bigger issue than burn in on OLEDs is the horrendous and outdated remotes that manufacturers still ship with their TV sets.

LG's one is horrendous with those low quality plastics, even if it has some useful features. It's unnaceptable to ship something like that with expensive sets.
Panasonic's is so outdated looking it hurts.
Sony's used to have a nice soft touch feeling on their lower ends but seems to have downgraded it. Thankfully, they upgraded it on their higher end TVs now.
Samsung is the one to have something interesting with the One Remote. Don't know about that build quality, but at least they put some effort to it and it looks cool.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
The manufacturers AND reviewers specifically advise against it. So yes it would be considered in the category of "abuse" or at the very least negligence.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
A bigger issue than burn in on OLEDs is the horrendous and outdated remotes that manufacturers still ship with their TV sets.

LG's one is horrendous with those low quality plastics, even if it has some useful features. It's unnaceptable to ship something like that with expensive sets.
Panasonic's is so outdated looking it hurts.
Sony's used to have a nice soft touch feeling on their lower ends but seems to have downgraded it. Thankfully, they upgraded it on their higher end TVs now.
Samsung is the one to have something interesting with the One Remote. Don't know about that build quality, but at least they put some effort to it and it looks cool.

LG had premium remotes. With the 2016 sets. And the 2017 sets. They discarded this unfortunately with the newer sets mainly 2018 and 2019. The only OLED by LG which has a premium remote now is the OLED R.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone that cares, today is the official launch of the 2019 Vizio TV lineup. They have a new V series ( Low End ), M series ( Medium End ), P Quantum series ( High End ), P Quantum X ( Flagship / Enthusiast ).

https://www.vizio.com/tv-overview

I'm personally excited for the PQX as Vizio has nearly doubled the amount of dimming zones in the PQX ( 384 zones ) compared to last year's flagship tv PQ ( 192 zones ). The TV will get brighter and have better blacks.
Still no decent 55" option. Why? So dumb.

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
I just pulled the trigger on a 55" Sony x950g. Dell has it for $1298 with a $350 gift card. Wife needs a new laptop so it works out.

I'm coming from a 2010 Panasonic plasma. Pretty excited. The smart platform alone sounds great.

Anyone own this? Anything I should know before I get it? Key settings?

Oct 27, 2017
What are you blathering on about now? I haven't called anyone out - well, apart from you for your ridiculous statement which yet again inflamed the whole discussion. You stated that you shouldn't be gaming on an OLED right? Yet, by your own admission, you don't. Yet you manage to ignore the many people on this thread who do game on their OLED sets, and have no burn-in?

If you truly believed that gaming should be limited to LCD/LED sets, then you wouldn't be watching any 2.35:1 material on your OLED as the amount of wear you would aggregate with normal levels of gaming, will be matched by your viewing of letterboxed movies.

I'll say again, and I don't think I can be any clearer on this - you will be fine gaming on an OLED if you are going to be playing any one game for 100 hours before moving on to another - if you are going to be putting 1000s of hours into the same title, I would *not* recommend an OLED for this kind of gaming activity. This is not controversial, this is based on both my own experience, and the experience of others who have similar gaming patterns i.e. not you.

I'm not ignoring the fact people don't have burn in. It comes down to the fact that you are ignoring the people that are. People here have gotten it with less than 1000 hours. You make a lot of false asserted facts which are anything but as usual. I play games on my OLEDs often. I never said people should not be gaming on OLEDs. I said that LCD gaming was probably the better choice as a primary gaming TV. I don't think you understand / acknowledge the context.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017

Remember when you get the TV that you'll have to go into the menu and set the HDMI signal format to Enhanced format to get the full bandwidth and HDR for ports 2 and 3. Connect your PS4 Pro to port 2 or 3.

http:///n1wd.jpg
VxBFf1E

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900f/settings

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
It's not abuse, it's a limitation of the tech comparatively to other options.
Call it whatever you want, if the manufacturer and reviewers advise against a certain type of usage and you ignore that, then that's on you.

I wouldn't get mad if I went diving with my iPhone because it's "water resistant" and I was too dumb to understand that's different than "waterproof".

Oct 27, 2017
Call it whatever you want, if the manufacturer and reviewers advise against a certain type of usage and you ignore that, then that's on you.

I wouldn't get mad if I went diving with my iPhone because it's "water resistant" and I was too dumb to understand that's different than "waterproof".

I guess not but we aren't talking about iPhones. We are talking about the comparison of resistance of the tv type. One is considered abuse the other is normal use.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I guess not but we aren't talking about iPhones. We are talking about the comparison of resistance of the tv type. One is considered abuse the other is normal use.
Yes, according to the technology used. Both are displays, yes, but that does not mean their lifespans, functionality, or pros and cons are going to be identical.

No one is saying that here. At the very least I'm not.

My point is I signed up for buying an OLED knowing full well what that possibilities are, and anyone who signs up knowing the limitations and then does the thing that exacerbates the limitation and known issues, that's your own fucking fault.

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
I had purchased a Vizio P55-f1, and was really impressed with it's performance, but I had issues with parts of the screen dimming, including a horizontal bar that would occasionally dim across the screen. I'm curious if I had a bad set, or if those kind of issues are inherent with FALD? Even my girlfriend was getting distracted while watching TV from parts of the screen changing in brightness.
I'm just looking for a TV with nice blacks and HDR performance. I was happy with the Vizio in those regards, and I'm hoping I don't have to spend an extra 500 on an OLED just to avoid those issues.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, according to the technology used. Both are displays, yes, but that does not mean their lifespans, functionality, or pros and cons are going to be identical.

No one is saying that here. At the very least I'm not.

My point is I signed up for buying an OLED knowing full well what that possibilities are, and anyone who signs up knowing the limitations and then does the thing that exacerbates the limitation and known issues, that's your own fucking fault.

That's the whole point. There are various levels of where that line is drawn due to the nature of burn in.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
That's the whole point. There are various levels of where that line is drawn due to the nature of burn in.
Sure and I'll agree with that, but it's not arbitrary. The general pattern is that the more you use the panel with the same static logos or content, the more that image is going to wear down the pixel life. Is there some variability? Yeah, in some rare cases people get a less resilient panel, but I've seen literally the exact same thing for LCD commercial displays at my job. Most are fine, but some of them get permanent retention way before their supposed shelf life. We've had a few get burn in within 6 months of usage.

There is always some element of panel lottery regardless of display.

With all of that said, it's been emphasized that you shouldn't put hundreds or thousands of hours into a game with a static hud on an OLED.

The user you pointed out did exactly that and paid the price.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I've contacted a retailer and they told me this is the better/newer option: SONY KD-49XG9005

Que?
If the price difference is big 100% get the F. I looked at full comparisons between the E, F and G models. That's the 2017, 2018 and 2019 models respectably. There is very little difference between all 3 and the older one can sometimes do things better then the new. It's all just slight changes good or bad. I could have spent an extra €600 getting the G but bought the F last week in the clearance sale. Picking it up tomorrow.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not ignoring the fact people don't have burn in. It comes down to the fact that you are ignoring the people that are. People here have gotten it with less than 1000 hours. You make a lot of false asserted facts which are anything but as usual. I play games on my OLEDs often. I never said people should not be gaming on OLEDs. I said that LCD gaming was probably the better choice as a primary gaming TV. I don't think you understand / acknowledge the context.

Thing is, only an extreme minority of people have suffered burn in, so it's not about ignoring them, but simply looking at things in greater context and appreciating that it's a rare outlier issue, not a common occurrence. Then there's an element of user responsibility too, just don't play 8 hours of X game in a row with static HUD elements in one place the entire time, and if you do, run an image retention cleaner video every 3-4 hours or whatever, and hey presto, burn in avoided.

Also, has anyone with a 2018 or 2019 model oled actually suffered burn in, in this thread? As far as I can tell, the ones who have suffered burn in are using older models, 2-4 years old, and even then admit to playing certain games or media on them for well over a thousand hours.

I was primarily a plasma user prior to oled, and you had to baby the older plasmas far more than you do OLED's. For me the PQ trade off will always be more than worth it, especially with how resilient to burn in these new sets are these days.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Hm okay but surely there is a difference? Is that merely down to the TV itself (colours, design, etc)?

They look very similar. X900F feet can be switched around to point inward but not on the 950G.

950g is slightly brighter has lower contrast ratio. I could tell but it's minimal. I prefer X900f here.

1080p game mode output is about 19ms on 950g while 41ms on 900f
950g has full 2.0 bandwidth on all ports, only 2/3 have on 900f
Better remote on 950g
eArc support on 950g
950g comes with android 8.0 which is a bit smoother

Here in the UK the 950g is about £600 more expensive. I would go with 900f or look at the fald qled range in the 950g price range if I'm going to spend £1600. For 950g money OLED comes into the equation for some people.

I'd rather get a deal now and look at TVs in a few years time once all the new tech is in place and running great.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They look very similar. X900F feet can be switched around to point inward but not on the 950G.

950g is slightly brighter has lower contrast ratio. I could tell but it's minimal. I prefer X900f here.

1080p game mode output is about 19ms on 950g while 41ms on 900f
950g has full 2.0 bandwidth on all ports, only 2/3 have on 900f
Better remote on 950g
eArc support on 950g
950g comes with android 8.0 which is a bit smoother

Here in the UK the 950g is about £600 more expensive. I would go with 900f or look at the fald qled range in the 950g price range if I'm going to spend £1600. For 950g money OLED comes into the equation for some people.

I'd rather get a deal now and look at TVs in a few years time once all the new tech is in place and running great.
Argh this is so annoying lol. Is there any good source where you can check all of these specs 'cause I can't seem to find good comparison sites. Some of the shops don't even show the refresh rates which is very frustrating.

EDIT: Also maybe I'm missing something (probably) but you mention "950" but I don't see that anywhere in the models I posted? For clarification it's between the:
Sony KD-49XG9005 and KD-49XF9005

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
For those who were having trouble with ALLM, try disabling it on the Xbox and leaving it turned on in the TV settings.
Weirdly it works properly when you do this

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
God I am so hungry for an OLED! Only bummer is I don't have 2k to spend on a TV, so I'll have to wait til Black Friday to buy either a B9 or GZ950...

Last edited: