• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone with a Sony X900f TV updated to the Oreo update? It still hasn't been made available to me (I know it is a staggered release). For those who have updated, has it fixed the dim and washed out HDR picture quality issues?

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Is that a conversion from Dolby Vision to HDR10, or is there a seperate HDR10 file on disc for situations like these?

Sorry, all this HDR stuff is new to me.
All discs have an HDR10 base layer. Dolby Vision just adds dynamic metadata I think.
Yup, that's right.

While I think there might be a small handful of old discs with no HDR at all, any 4K blu-ray disc that has any format of HDR is required to also include HDR10. Many of course just have HDR10. So if a player or TV doesn't support DV you can still play the disc in the included HDR10.

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
Is that a conversion from Dolby Vision to HDR10, or is there a seperate HDR10 file on disc for situations like these?

Sorry, all this HDR stuff is new to me.
There's a HDR10 base layer, and DV enhancement layer (which sometimes only provides dynamic metadata). In case you'r player can't use DV, only base layer is used, so no conversion happens.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
The Vizio P Quantum 2018 is such a great buy. Informed user from AVS found that the 2018 model actually has the same number of LEDs as the 65in X model (384 leds). Difference is 2018 run in pairs while X run independently. Looking at the Rtings review 2018 model has better nit output, higher contrast ratio, and more. If you can luckily find one for sale at a huge discount get it! The 2400nits and color this tv outputs on scenes is insane looks life like. My gf at first didn't know why to get a 4k tv when the current 1080p samsung was good then she seen it and told me she knows why lol

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
The Vizio P Quantum 2018 is such a great buy. Informed user from AVS found that the 2018 model actually has the same number of LEDs as the 65in X model (384 leds). Difference is 2018 run in pairs while X run independently. Looking at the Rtings review 2018 model has better nit output, higher contrast ratio, and more. If you can luckily find one for sale at a huge discount get it! The 2400nits and color this tv outputs on scenes is insane looks life like. My gf at first didn't know why to get a 4k tv when the current 1080p samsung was good then she seen it and told me she knows why lol

Are you saying The P Quantum 2018 is a beast?

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
No, wii games were a blurry jagfest because thats how they look lol. Even shit like battlefront 1 on base PS4 looks fine to me, I think that's 900p. It is in no way comparable to a wii blown up onto an hdtv.
okay thats good to hear, i think im gonna hold out for at least a year. Hopefully OLED will come down a good amount so that its more in my proce range of a 1000 euros. atm i think its a waste to buy a new set tbh, i already have a VA panel (wich is basically the best panel you can get on the LCD side of things) so im not in a hurry. Thanks for the tips and info tho : )

Between this and my 1080p samsung I had a 4k xd83 which is lcd out was noticeable on that too but the oled did also have a bigger impact than just the resolution bump.

With TV's the resolution is nice but oled & hdr are the bigger differences imho.
Good to hear, i think im going to wait at least a year then, tv that i use now is perfectly fine and it already has the best panel you can get in an LCD (VA) so im not in a hurry atm. Hopefully by that time most if not all problems oleds have will be resolved by then. tnx for the info tho.

Kinn

Oct 28, 2017
With hdmi 2.1, I'm assuming people are going to need to buy a new AV receiver with 2.1 ports?

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
With hdmi 2.1, I'm assuming people are going to need to buy a new AV receiver with 2.1 ports?
Some avrs even going back to 2017 got a firmware update to enable Earc. So while those receivers don't have the hdmi 2.1 spec you can just plug the hdmi 2.1 devices directly to the tv and have Earc handle the audio. That's what I'm planning on doing at least.

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Yes most will. A few will get upgrades but not many. If they can sale new hardware they will. Even the ones that will get the upgrade are paid upgrades. Luckily my X8500h will be qualified for a hardware upgrade but it will probably be a paid one.

Kinn

Oct 28, 2017
Most probably, yeah. Especially for HDMI 2.1 features that use more bandwidth than the 2.0 specs.
Correct.

I've seen at least one manufacturer offering to replace the ports rather than buy a whole new reciever.
Some avrs even going back to 2017 got a firmware update to enable Earc. So while those receivers don't have the hdmi 2.1 spec you can just plug the hdmi 2.1 devices directly to the tv and have Earc handle the audio. That's what I'm planning on doing at least.
Yes most will. A few will get upgrades but not many. If they can sale new hardware they will. Even the ones that will get the upgrade are paid upgrades. Luckily my X8500h will be qualified for a hardware upgrade but it will probably be a paid one.

Ah as I expected... Dammit! Another extra cost! I better start saving up for next year,

Thanks guys.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Was discussing this in another thread, but what are the odds of an affordable HDMI 2.1 TVs being made available next year (say $500-1000). Was looking into it, and the only TV's that support it this year are like $3000 lol. That's a bit too much to spend Imho. I did really want to jump into 4K and HDR now, but I would consider waiting if there was a chance HDMI 2.1 wouldn't be restricted to higher end TV's next year.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought a Samsung Nu7100 40". Found it really cheap here in my country, is it still a good entry level TV?

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
In theory, yes. Yet the C9 has a laundry list of deal-breaker problems with eARC, so it's looking like I will need to replace my receiver anyway.
I wouldn't count on any type of ARC in general ever being reliable. I've owned multiple brands and models of ARC enabled displays and not one of them worked as it should. ARC is fucking crap all around. It "works" but there's always some type of annoying issue and backwards workaround or half-solution.

rou021

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately, the 2017 Denon/Marantz AVRs that got the eARC update seem to be having issues with it (the 2018 models seem to work fine). Hopefully, they'll release a firmware update to fix it, but I don't think there's been any indication that they're working on one. You may want to double check that the AVR you're planning on using has its eARC working properly.
Was discussing this in another thread, but what are the odds of an affordable HDMI 2.1 TVs being made available next year (say $500-1000). Was looking into it, and the only TV's that support it this year are like $3000 lol. That's a bit too much to spend Imho. I did really want to jump into 4K and HDR now, but I would consider waiting if there was a chance HDMI 2.1 wouldn't be restricted to higher end TV's next year.
If you're after an affordable TV with HDMI 2.1, you may be better off waiting for LG's 2019 OLEDs to go on sale next year. The more affordable B9s aren't out yet, but the current cheapest one is the 55" C9, which retails for around $1800 and will see more price drops throughout the year. The steepest discounts for TVs like the LG OLEDs are often right before the new models come out (usually between late winter to mid spring). This past year, the 55" LG B8 got as low as ~$1100 or so. Some people were even able to snag the 65" version step up model (the C8) for $999 during some sort of a clearance or flash sale. I don't know for sure what the prices will be for the 2019 LG OLEDs next year, but they will likely been in line with the 2018's close out pricing or possibly lower.

Further, LG is planning on releasing a 48" OLED TV sometime soon. It could be as soon as this fall, but in all likelihood, it will be sometime next year. Regardless, its MSRP is going to be less than the 55" and almost certain to have 2.1 support like all of their 2019 OLEDs. I don't know how close it will be to your budget on launch, but it will likely be in the ball park at some point between the Black Friday after that and the release of the next year's model.

The reason I'm specifically mentioning LG's OLEDs is because they're currently the only TVs with full HDMI 2.1 support—at least on paper—that are also poised to get reasonably close to your budget (I think LG's new LCDs with 2.1 don't support the full spec, but I could be wrong here). That could change next year, but we won't really know until January. We also won't know how well implemented 2.1 will be in any new TVs until they're released and tested, and right now we don't even have the means of testing every 2.1 feature yet (right now we're stuck taking LG at their word for the 2019 models' 2.1 compatibility). So it's a little too soon to really say how 2020 will look for HDMI 2.1. Sadly the best bet at the moment is to just wait and see.

For one, it's not working very reliably or at all with certain devices. And when it does work, it doesn't support multichannel PCM passthrough (two channel only). Not to mention it requires CEC to be enabled in order to function. There's actually a whole thread dedicated to LG's eARC issues on the AVSForum.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
rou021 oh no that sucks! I have a 2017 denon x3400h. From what little research I did a month back I thought I saw that 5.1 pcm and lossless audio signals were working as intended. But that 7.1 pcm was not working. I only have a 5.1 system so I think I'm ok. Unless I'm forgetting another issue that has arisen.

Edit : looking further into it my receiver isn't working properly. Hopefully it can be updated. They got 18 months to work out the kinks before ps5/next Xbox so I'm not gonna sweat just yet.

Last edited:

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Unfortunately, the 2017 Denon/Marantz AVRs that got the eARC update seem to be having issues with it (the 2018 models seem to work fine). Hopefully, they'll release a firmware update to fix it, but I don't think there's been any indication that they're working on one. You may want to double check that the AVR you're planning on using has its eARC working properly.

If you're after an affordable TV with HDMI 2.1, you may be better off waiting for LG's 2019 OLEDs to go on sale next year. The more affordable B9s aren't out yet, but the current cheapest one is the 55" C9, which retails for around $1800 and will see more price drops throughout the year. The steepest discounts for TVs like the LG OLEDs are often right before the new models come out (usually between late winter to mid spring). This past year, the 55" LG B8 got as low as ~$1100 or so. Some people were even able to snag the 65" version step up model (the C8) for $999 during some sort of a clearance or flash sale. I don't know for sure what the prices will be for the 2019 LG OLEDs next year, but they will likely been in line with the 2018's close out pricing or possibly lower.

Further, LG is planning on releasing a 48" OLED TV sometime soon. It could be as soon as this fall, but in all likelihood, it will be sometime next year. Regardless, its MSRP is going to be less than the 55" and almost certain to have 2.1 support like all of their 2019 OLEDs. I don't know how close it will be to your budget on launch, but it will likely be in the ball park at some point between the Black Friday after that and the release of the next year's model.

The reason I'm specifically mentioning LG's OLEDs is because they're currently the only TVs with full HDMI 2.1 support—at least on paper—that are also poised to get reasonably close to your budget (I think LG's new LCDs with 2.1 don't support the full spec, but I could be wrong here). That could change next year, but we won't really know until January. We also won't know how well implemented 2.1 will be in any new TVs until they're released and tested, and right now we don't even have the means of testing every 2.1 feature yet (right now we're stuck taking LG at their word for the 2019 models' 2.1 compatibility). So it's a little too soon to really say how 2020 will look for HDMI 2.1. Sadly the best bet at the moment is to just wait and see.

For one, it's not working very reliably or at all with certain devices. And when it does work, it doesn't support multichannel PCM passthrough (two channel only). Not to mention it requires CEC to be enabled in order to function. There's actually a whole thread dedicated to LG's eARC issues on the AVSForum.
Thx for a very informative post! Ultimately, I 'm probably going to go for the TV I've been eyeing for awhile now (TCL 6 series 55 inch for $500), and depending on how things are going next year and what deals are going on, maybe I can get one of these TV's with HDMI 2.1 just in time for next-gen, and set up the TCL in another room. Win-win. :D

Menaged

Oct 29, 2017
I have an Apple TV question.

I live in the UK at the moment. Say I buy one and a bunch of movies. Can I still access them if move to another country.
Not sure how the regional stuff work there.

Thinking of selling my 4k player and go digital, as the deals are quite good, it's more convenient and many say the quality is on par.

Thanks!

rou021

Oct 27, 2017
rou021 oh no that sucks! I have a 2017 denon x3400h. From what little research I did a month back I thought I saw that 5.1 pcm and lossless audio signals were working as intended. But that 7.1 pcm was not working. I only have a 5.1 system so I think I'm ok. Unless I'm forgetting another issue that has arisen.

Edit : looking further into it my receiver isn't working properly. Hopefully it can be updated. They got 18 months to work out the kinks before ps5/next Xbox so I'm not gonna sweat just yet.
Yep. I'm in the same boat with x4400h. As long as they get it fixed before the new consoles or graphics cards with HDMI 2.1 come out, I'll be fine.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018

I live in the UK at the moment. Say I buy one and a bunch of movies. Can I still access them if move to another country.

Thinking of selling my 4k player and go digital, as the deals are quite good, it's more convenient and many say the quality is on par.

Thanks!

The ability to buy from a specific country it tied to the credit card and billing address attached to an Apple ID. If you completely move to an other country — meaning you lose access to UK credit cards / payment cards — my guess is that you won't be able to buy from your UK account anymore. You won't lose it though, you can always log back in and access what you already bought. But my guess is that you'll need to open a new account in the other country you're moving to, and use a new credit card /payment card from this country if you want to continue buying movies.

Maybe Apple has some policies about transferring purchases from country to country using the same account, but I doubt it. And if they do it's probably not seamless due to all the different laws and availability of movies across different countries. But I would definitely send them the question.

Menaged

Oct 29, 2017
The ability to buy from a specific country it tied to the credit card and billing address attached to an Apple ID. If you completely move to an other country — meaning you lose access to UK credit cards / payment cards — my guess is that you won't be able to buy from your UK account anymore. You won't lose it though, you can always log back in and access what you already bought. But my guess is that you'll need to open a new account in the other country you're moving to, and use a new credit card /payment card from this country if you want to continue buying movies.

Maybe Apple has some policies about transferring purchases from country to country using the same account, but I doubt it. And if they do it's probably not seamless due to all the different laws and availability of movies across different countries. But I would definitely send them the question.

Appreciate it, thanks!

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

There is a good list on AVSForums, but I will summarize the 4 most important issues as I see them.

1. It only supports a maximum of 2 channels of PCM over eARC
2. Dolby Digital / Plus over HDMI has a large amount of input lag
3. It cannot pass lossless audio from internal apps like Netflix or Plex
4. People are reporting compatibility issues with various receiver models

These things combined make it next to useless, IMO. The first two mean it is not usable for the vast majority of games (actually worse than using plain ARC on most sets, which at least did not have latency problems with DD/+), and gaming is really the only reason HDMI 2.1 is desirable on a 4K set. The 3rd one means you can't pass lossless audio from streaming apps on your TV, which is the other primary reason to care about eARC. The 4th item means that the compatibility headaches of ARC are not even fixed.

When you take these things into account, the only things you are left able to do with C9's eARC support are:
- Games using DTS or Dolby TrueHD (almost none)
- Being able to output TrueHD and DTS:X to non-AVR-connected speaker systems that take an HDMI input and support eARC, like some soundbars (which won't benefit from lossless multi-channel audio anyway)

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks!
Also worth considering that Apple movies should be coming to Firesticks and other devices later this year:

May make the Apple TV redundant at its current price. I know Apple TV has a slick interface but it's hard to justify £100 premium over other devices

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Another way is to only use iTunes vouchers for one of the countries. I have a UK account which is tied to my credit/debit card, but if I want a film from the USA, I just switch to my USA account on my Apple TV, buy an iTunes voucher, apply it to that account and buy the film. There are no restrictions on how many accounts you can have (I have a Canadian, USA, UK and New Zealand account all set up in this way)

Of course, your films are spread across multiple accounts this way, but it is good enough for me, and of course allows you to get hold of apps that are tied to other countries as well.

LG having problems? Now that is a shocker!

Menaged

Oct 29, 2017
Also worth considering that Apple movies should be coming to Firesticks and other devices later this year:

May make the Apple TV redundant at its current price. I know Apple TV has a slick interface but it's hard to justify £100 premium over other devices

Oh wow, so I might be able to use this as an app on my B8?
In that case I might hold then.
Edit: Though according to this, it's only for the 2019 models...

Another way is to only use iTunes vouchers for one of the countries. I have a UK account which is tied to my credit/debit card, but if I want a film from the USA, I just switch to my USA account on my Apple TV, buy an iTunes voucher, apply it to that account and buy the film. There are no restrictions on how many accounts you can have (I have a Canadian, USA, UK and New Zealand account all set up in this way)

Of course, your films are spread across multiple accounts this way, but it is good enough for me, and of course allows you to get hold of apps that are tied to other countries as well.

So basically like having 2 PSN accounts.
I buy US PSN codes to buy stuff when there are US sales.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I just noticed I have an Apple TV app on my Q9FN which is a 2018 model. I already have an Apple TV 4K, but the TV app seems to work pretty well.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, so I might be able to use this as an app on my B8?
In that case I might hold then.
Edit: Though according to this, it's only for the 2019 models...

So basically like having 2 PSN accounts.
I buy US PSN codes to buy stuff when there are US sales.

Yeah but unlike the PSN you have to switch accounts to watch the films you buy. I mean it takes seconds but it's worth considering. You literally click settings accounts and change it.

Ruffiamonte

Jan 4, 2019
Has anyone with a Sony X900f TV updated to the Oreo update? It still hasn't been made available to me (I know it is a staggered release). For those who have updated, has it fixed the dim and washed out HDR picture quality issues?

I recently got the european XF90. I didn't notice any difference in HDR quality after the newest update, looked great before and still does. That said, I'm rather new to HDR and only use it with netflix and games on PS4 pro. The newest firmware is available to everyone on the sony website by the way. The Oreo update adds DV support and makes the OS slightly faster, so it's definitly worth it.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
So it looks like Alita Battle Angel is 4k Dolby Vision on iTunes movies. That is interesting because it is a Fox and now Disney release. Probably James Cameron power move but happy to see. Still waiting for the 4k disc release on July 23 since I'm guessing it comes with a 4k HDR digital code with it.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So it looks like Alita Battle Angel is 4k Dolby Vision on iTunes movies. That is interesting because it is a Fox and now Disney release. Probably James Cameron power move but happy to see. Still waiting for the 4k disc release on July 23 since I'm guessing it comes with a 4k HDR digital code with it.

I'm not convinced James Cameron cares enough to be responsible for this. I mean, haven't a few of his more famous films not even had blu-ray releases?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not convinced James Cameron cares enough to be responsible for this. I mean, haven't a few of his more famous films not even had blu-ray releases?

Apparently, Cameron has to oversee any new version of his work, so he has to find time in his schedule to do it. That's why they all take time and why some didn't make the cut at all. So no doubt he probably was the driving factor behind DV on Battle Angel too.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Apparently, Cameron has to oversee any new version of his work, so he has to find time in his schedule to do it. That's why they all take time and why some didn't make the cut at all. So no doubt he probably was the driving factor behind DV on Battle Angel too.

He didn't direct it, how involved was he?

The film was released in Dolby cinema 3D and in Dolby Cinemas.

I imagine if that if you grading for those formats then you are grading using the DV workflow, so the HDR versions will have been at the same time.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
So i just bought a Samsung NU8000 and I'm already facing issues, a white vertical line appears on screen only when changing channels on the set top box. Can anyone please help?

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm going to be dusting the screen on my new X900F for the first time, and I need to know what's the best way to do it because I'm kind of terrified.

Edit: I grabbed a flashlight and wiped the screen down with a microfiber cloth. Looks like it went pretty smoothly. Is there any better method to go with in the future? Just to get rid of any little smudges or anything?

Last edited:

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm not sure what the change was with Alita. Just found it interesting because I don't remember a Fox Dolby Vision movie on iTunes before, and Disney is still battling Apple over 4k hdr pricing. So Alita being 4k Dolby vision and only 19.99 came as a surprise to me.