• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Not sure if this is where to ask... Looks like I had a problem that I didn't notice until I played no mans sky (since it has a lot of solid colored backgrounds).
I noticed a perfect rectangle, which takes up probably half my screen, dead center of my lg oled. It's only noticeable on certain solid colors, can't see it in movies/tv/every other game I played on it. It's under warranty so I might as well get it fixed.

My question is. Should I go thru best buy or lg to get the panel replaced?

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Not sure if this is where to ask... Looks like I had a problem that I didn't notice until I played no mans sky (since it has a lot of solid colored backgrounds).
I noticed a perfect rectangle, which takes up probably half my screen, dead center of my lg oled. It's only noticeable on certain solid colors, can't see it in movies/tv/every other game I played on it. It's under warranty so I might as well get it fixed.

My question is. Should I go thru best buy or lg to get the panel replaced?

I think you might be experiencing this known issue some people were reporting? Some manufacturing snafu.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I did purchase the extended warranty, I doubt they can replace the tv since it's a year old.
It's a known manufacturing defect and LG supposedly will send a tech out to either fix it, or replace the panel (not the whole TV, just the screen). Rtings says LG insists they will do this even out of warranty, but some people have definitely been told to kick rocks by LG support.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Hey guys I'm buying the LG c9 oled and was wondering if there is anyway I can make use of the 4k 120hz right now? (Playing through my gaming pc but obviously my graphics card doesn't support hdmi 2.1 and the tv doesn't have displayport port)

Last edited:

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Hey guys I'm buying the LG c9 oled and was wondering if there is anyway I can make use of the 4k 120hz right now? (Playing through my gaming pc but obviously my graphics card doesn't support hdmi 2.1 and the tv doesn't have displayport port)
No? You dont have any device that supports 4k 120 over hdmi, how would you even deliver content to it even if you could? And what PC can run modern games at 4k 120?

Edit: I think you can play 4k120 videos over usb flashdrive?

Last edited:

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
No? You dont have any device that supports 4k 120 over hdmi, how would you even deliver content to it even if you could? And what PC can run modern games at 4k 120?

Yeaah.. so it would just be future-proofing & lets hope next gen nvidia cards support hdmi2.1

As for games that run 4k >60fps.. there are plenty.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017

Well someone with a Samsung Q90R mentioned you could do 4k 120 at 4:2:0 8 bit color depth on graphics cards with HDMI 2.0b. The C9 I believe needs a firmware update that is coming later. Just make sure you have an hdmi cable certified for 18gbs.

If you're willing to take the hit by dropping down settings but keeping resolution the same, you can do 4k 120 in some modern games. In the meantime many of your older games will definitely be able to. Stuff like Wolfenstein, Doom 2016, and Alien Isolation have great engines and they run wonderfully.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I really don't care about 2.1 in a nutshell when you can get a B8 for half a price....

I mean.. I'm on a 5 year TV cycle so I think I'll be fine until mid gen nextbgen

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been wondering about these DVDO video processors. Does anyone here own one?

I hear people can use them to normalize output from the OSSC, but I'd only find that really worth it if it allows for full aspect control and framing of 960p in 1080p windows to circumvent interpolation.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
I think I made my decision. Going with the 65" Sony 950G. Would love to wait till next year but we moved and decided to give my mom the old panny plasma. Now I have no TV in the living room :...(

It was either the sony or the q70r but after seeing both next to each other at Best Buy sealed the deal. The sony image gave me panny vibes. I never watch TV in total darkness so hopefully the blooming won't bother me much. I'm going to wait for a decent sale to pull the trigger.

How are most you buying TV's these days? Amazon or actual stores?

Oct 28, 2017
I think I made my decision. Going with the 65" Sony 950G. Would love to wait till next year but we moved and decided to give my mom the old panny plasma. Now I have no TV in the living room :...(

It was either the sony or the q70r but after seeing both next to each other at Best Buy sealed the deal. The sony image gave me panny vibes. I never watch TV in total darkness so hopefully the blooming won't bother me much. I'm going to wait for a decent sale to pull the trigger.

You can get the 950g for under 1500 right now on Greentoe

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018

The 950G is a great LED! You won't be disappointed. If the blooming ever gives you trouble while watching in the dark (and really, you might not even notice it), just buy a simple bias lighting solution and you'll be all set.

I personally bought my 930E from Amazon last year (the TV was sold directly by them). It went really well, but I went to Amazon because I didn't had any real competitive local solution. And I hate Best Buy. If you have a good AV store nearby, you might want to look at what they are offering.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Some reviewers said that the 4K BR of Solo A Star Wars movie looks mushy and way too dark. They gave it a 5/10.

I just watched it on my B7 in HDR cinema home mode with dynamic tone mapping and it's one of the best 4K BRs I have ever seen. Had no issues with near black spots or bright highlights. Everything looked super crisp.

So OLED TVs cant be that dark after all, right? It's not all about nits, right? Who could have thought!

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
You can get the 950g for under 1500 right now on Greentoe
The 950G is a great LED! You won't be disappointed. If the blooming ever gives you trouble while watching in the dark (and really, you might not even notice it), just buy a simple bias lighting solution and you'll be all set.

I personally bought my 930E from Amazon last year (the TV was sold directly by them). It went really well, but I went to Amazon because I didn't had any real competitive local solution. And I hate Best Buy. If you have a good AV store nearby, you might want to look at what they are offering.

Thanks! I'll update when I pick it up.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This probably differs by country, but I wouldn't touch Amazon with a bargepole for TV buying. They only offer standard manufacturer warranties with their TVs, whereas I recently bought my AF9 and it comes with a 6 year warranty. Independent stores are also likely to be cheaper.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
So what is the consensus on hdmi 2.1 for one x... Is there a significant improvement with performance?

The Xbox One X does not have HDMI 2.1. It does have some features of HDMI 2.1 such as ALLM and Freesync. My TV (Samsung Q9FN) supports both ALLM and Freesync and depending on the game it works really well to eliminate screen tearing, improve input lag and making certain games feel smoother, which is what Freesync does.

But the real benefits is when the Next Gen consoles come out and they have full HDMI 2.1 and more TV's that come out in 2020 will have HDMI 2.1.

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a Best Buy kinda near me (1hr 30mins lol) with an open box LG C8 for $783

Too good to be true, don't you think? Does anyone have any experience with BB open box stuff?

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
How important is HDMI 2.1 gonna be next gen in your opinion guys? I m tempted to buy a 2019 philips oled but it doesn t have HDMI 2.1

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
There's a Best Buy kinda near me (1hr 30mins lol) with an open box LG C8 for $783

Too good to be true, don't you think? Does anyone have any experience with BB open box stuff?

It's somewhat risky. If it was a store display model running the same demo loop for a year, it may have significant burn-in. If it was a customer return, you have to wonder whether they returned it because of some problem.

The thought of having to possibly repack an LG OLED (which is not that easy even with 2 people because of how thin they are) and drive 3 hours roundtrip to do a return is not very appealing. But if you are the type of person who gets a lot of pleasure out of bargain hunting, maybe it would be worth it to you.

How important is HDMI 2.1 gonna be next gen in your opinion guys? I m tempted to buy a 2019 philips oled but it doesn t have HDMI 2.1

There are two features that could theoretically be important: 4K/120 and VRR

- 4K/120 I think will be mostly limited to simple 2D games or remasters of previous gen games. For new AAA games, developers will not design games to run at 4K/120 because it requires a lot of GPU power and they will prefer to spend it in other ways.
- VRR kind of depends on how much developers choose to support it. You can get VRR today on XB1X with certain TVs and it is not very noticeable. That's because console games today mostly have Vsync turned on by default and are designed for a target framerate. As more TVs support VRR, we may see more games with unlocked framerates, but who knows how long it will take.

I see more immediate benefit of these features for PC gaming on a TV, at least once GPUs support them.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Some reviewers said that the 4K BR of Solo A Star Wars movie looks mushy and way too dark. They gave it a 5/10.

I just watched it on my B7 in HDR cinema home mode with dynamic tone mapping and it's one of the best 4K BRs I have ever seen. Had no issues with near black spots or bright highlights. Everything looked super crisp.

So OLED TVs cant be that dark after all, right? It's not all about nits, right? Who could have thought!

I thought it was another crap 4K HDR Disney release personally, The Karate Kid 4K disc is FAR more impressive, really impressed with what they did there, and it's bloody ancient!

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Also HDMI 2.1 support full 4:4:4 chroma 4K with HDR. If it doesn't already hopefully my C9 will be able to support it with a firmware upgrade.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
It's somewhat risky. If it was a store display model running the same demo loop for a year, it may have significant burn-in. If it was a customer return, you have to wonder whether they returned it because of some problem.

The thought of having to possibly repack an LG OLED (which is not that easy even with 2 people because of how thin they are) and drive 3 hours roundtrip to do a return is not very appealing. But if you are the type of person who gets a lot of pleasure out of bargain hunting, maybe it would be worth it to you.

There are two features that could theoretically be important: 4K/120 and VRR

- 4K/120 I think will be mostly limited to simple 2D games or remasters of previous gen games. For new AAA games, developers will not design games to run at 4K/120 because it requires a lot of GPU power and they will prefer to spend it in other ways.
- VRR kind of depends on how much developers choose to support it. You can get VRR today on XB1X with certain TVs and it is not very noticeable. That's because console games today mostly have Vsync turned on by default and are designed for a target framerate. As more TVs support VRR, we may see more games with unlocked framerates, but who knows how long it will take.

I see more immediate benefit of these features for PC gaming on a TV, at least once GPUs support them.

All right, thanks ;)

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Guarantee it's a floor demo mode and has burn in from running loops over and over.

I figured as much! It seemed way too good to be true as there was out of stock open box options that were more expensive. Seems the condition was the lowest tier so it def has burn-in.

You can get the B8 for less than 1k on Greentoe

:o

I will check that out! Thanks!