• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Whew No Man's Sky really shines in HDR on an OLED. The contrast between those black ass blacks and those gleaming highlights 👌

5y9kHEy.jpg

Edit: I see Dynamic Tone Mapping recommended a lot but I really can't make up my mind on it after flicking it on and off in a bunch of games.

I find scenes in daylight benefit from it but anything at night or in overcast weather gets brightened too much and no longer look natural to me.

Last edited:

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Whew No Man's Sky really shines in HDR on an OLED. The contrast between those black ass blacks and those gleaming highlights 👌

5y9kHEy.jpg

Edit: I see Dynamic Tone Mapping recommended a lot but I really can't make up my mind on it after flicking it on and off in a bunch of games.

I find scenes in daylight benefit from it but anything at night or in overcast weather gets brightened too much and no longer look natural to me.
I get that feeling too...

Something weird also started happening last night: I was watching a 4k HDR movie on Plex and the audio cut off a few times. It wasn't the film (I checked by rewinding) and the TV's audio is configured as passthrough to the AVR, so I have no idea what happened. I paused the movie for a few seconds and after unpausing it didn't happen again.

First time it's happened since I got the TV last week too, and I hadn't changed any audio settings...

Maybe just a Plex bug?

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Black Friday is approaching and I'm in the market for an 65" OLED for gaming but the "TV shootout" thing has me slightly confused. Namely how many are there because last I heard the Sony AG9 was the best set for 2019 but many claim it's the LG C9. I've even seen a few reference the Panasonic.

Is there more than one shoot out per year?

If you are just gaming, it is hard to beat the C9 considering it has the least gaming lag and HDMI 2.1. TV shoot outs probably take all watching into account and a Sony will always outperform an LG as would a Panasonic. Sony's processing and motion are exemplary, especially with sub-par material, and Panasonic offer the most accurate colour out of the box, as well as improved motion and processing over the LG. But if you are just gaming, you should pick the best gaming features, and that is where the LG comes out on top IMO.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017

5y9kHEy.jpg

It helps retain a lot of detail for 10k and 4k nit mastered games.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you are just gaming, it is hard to beat the C9 considering it has the least gaming lag and HDMI 2.1. TV shoot outs probably take all watching into account and a Sony will always outperform an LG as would a Panasonic. Sony's processing and motion are exemplary, especially with sub-par material, and Panasonic offer the most accurate colour out of the box, as well as improved motion and processing over the LG. But if you are just gaming, you should pick the best gaming features, and that is where the LG comes out on top IMO.

Ahh I see.

It'll be a tv for everything, not just gaming. The input lag on all 3 OLED tvs is roughly the same but obviously the C9's VRR does give that set the edge for gaming. Thanks for the info.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
If I connect my PC directly to my TV via HDMI to HDMI1, can I still tell the TV to use the the HDMI 2 port for the ARC to the receiver?

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got Gsync working on my C9. Seems to work 41-60hz at 4K. I was able to OC my panel to 66hz but haven't been able to test if Gsync works over 60hz yet

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
It helps retain a lot of detail for 10k and 4k nit mastered games.
That's what I was reading, and I saw that occur sometimes (skybox in AC Odyssey, for example) but I saw just as many times where it blew out highlights because it raised the brightness too much.

AFAIK the C9 tone maps down nits beyond what it can display anyway so I think I'm gonna pass on DTM, the algorithm just isn't capable of taking into account the context of the image so it makes very weird decisions.

I wish there was an option for DTM that only affects the 1000-4000 nit part of the image and leave the rest alone.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
That's what I was reading, and I saw that occur sometimes (skybox in AC Odyssey, for example) but I saw just as many times where it blew out highlights because it raised the brightness too much.

AFAIK the C9 tone maps down nits beyond what it can display anyway so I think I'm gonna pass on DTM, the algorithm just isn't capable of taking into account the context of the image so it makes very weird decisions.

I wish there was an option for DTM that only affects the 1000-4000 nit part of the image and leave the rest alone.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think its perfect, but generally it does a good job most of the time (the bits where I've tested it anyhow) but tbh with it off it still does a great job, and far far better than how the 7 series dealt with HDR.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Has anyone played The Last of Us Remastered on a LG B7A Oled. ?

I am noticing that some scenes and especially cutscenes look great, but I am with Ellie now in the rain portion earlier on and everything looks dull and grey. When I turn HDR off, it looks colorful again. Similarly to Borderlands 1s HDR settings.

Idk I have the new update with the Adjust HDR settings but still? ,, Maybe I should mess around with it more out of the game.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
I tried DTM on Spiderman and I was in the sewers and it was stupid bright. Not washed out, it looked nice and contrasty but so damn bright. So I turned it off.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
So nvidia control panel issue. I can only choose "32bit" color and there are no longer any other options for changing around the color depth. Any idea how this might have happened?

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I am noticing that some scenes and especially cutscenes look great, but I am with Ellie now in the rain portion earlier on and everything looks dull and grey. When I turn HDR off, it looks colorful again. Similarly to Borderlands 1s HDR settings.

Idk I have the new update with the Adjust HDR settings but still? ,, Maybe I should mess around with it more out of the game.

Have you tried any of the other HDR modes? HDR Game is pretty awful on the B7. Worse even than the B6.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

it's the game. There are certain areas in Boston that look really bad. Take the downtown building for example.

Kitsune84

Jan 2, 2018
Hi so I'm going to buy a new tv on Black Friday. It's going to be my main tv. I can't go to big, 55 inch is max I think. Budget is around 800 euro. I mostly watch 4K Blu-ray on my Xbox one x. And prime and Netflix.
My room is always dark. The tv that is have now is a free tv I got from my provider. It's a cheap Hd tv.
I just want to watch movies and series in 4K with good hdr. Any TVs worth looking out for.
thanks

lorsel

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hi so I'm going to buy a new tv on Black Friday. It's going to be my main tv. I can't go to big, 55 inch is max I think. Budget is around 800 euro. I mostly watch 4K Blu-ray on my Xbox one x. And prime and Netflix.
My room is always dark. The tv that is have now is a free tv I got from my provider. It's a cheap Hd tv.
I just want to watch movies and series in 4K with good hdr. Any TVs worth looking out for.
thanks

Sony XF9005 / X900F (US)

Where do you live? In Germany you can get it for 799€ atm, with cashback like "shoop" for 759€ (-5%). I dont think it will get cheaper, even on black friday.

https://www.saturn.de/de/product/_sony-kd-55xf9005-2391108.html

Last edited:

Kitsune84

Jan 2, 2018
I'm from Belgium. live near Germany an the Netherlands. Saturn ok keep that in mind.
Yeah mostly buy my electronics in the Netherlands or Germany. It's way cheaper there then in Belgium.
Thanks lorsel

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Have you tried any of the other HDR modes? HDR Game is pretty awful on the B7. Worse even than the B6.
I mean isnt it best for it to be in game mode?

At the moment it is on HDR game picture mode. There is Standard, there is game mode, and there is HDR on during standard or game mode. I was under the impression that i should never make it standard or sport mode or something while in games. Considering there is a game mode.

Is the game mode not the best thing? For a game?

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean isnt it best for it to be in game mode?

At the moment it is on HDR game picture mode. There is Standard, there is game mode, and there is HDR on during standard or game mode. I was under the impression that i should never make it standard or sport mode or something while in games. Considering there is a game mode.

Is the game mode not the best thing? For a game?

I mean it is the most responsive mode but on a game like TLoU gaming lag isn't a massive deal IMO. I just wondered how the other modes looked in comparison. In terms of brightness. I don't remember it looking bad on my B6 but I know they tinkered with the B7 back in the day which changed the tone mapping of HDR which reduced brightness yet maintained more detail.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
I mean it is the most responsive mode but on a game like TLoU gaming lag isn't a massive deal IMO. I just wondered how the other modes looked in comparison. In terms of brightness. I don't remember it looking bad on my B6 but I know they tinkered with the B7 back in the day which changed the tone mapping of HDR which reduced brightness yet maintained more detail.

I just can't reconcile the fact that LG were quoted in saying that the 7's tone mapping for games was the superior way, but saw fit in increasing the 6 way beyond the 7 in luminance.....madness.

A member on here contacted me a while back regarding helping him using his Vertex for his B6, and it turned out that it wasn't appearing to do anything, because the B6 was already brighter than all but the very brightest metadata strings used for the 7's, and the one that did work was the most extreme one you could use on the B7, and it only went a tiny bit brighter on his 6, so that proves how much brighter the 6 vs 7 is.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
There's a new update via online for the LG C9. Whats interesting is there's a new HDR setting in game mode, under dynamic tone mapping there's now HGiG. Which stands for
HDR Gaming Interest Group. Very cool except no one currently knows how it works or what exactly it does. First step in establishing a HDR gaming standard??

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Did you test out the new HDR game mode?

I just can't reconcile the fact that LG were quoted in saying that the 7's tone mapping for games was the superior way, but saw fit in increasing the 6 way beyond the 7 in luminance.....madness.

A member on here contacted me a while back regarding helping him using his Vertex for his B6, and it turned out that it wasn't appearing to do anything, because the B6 was already brighter than all but the very brightest metadata strings used for the 7's, and the one that did work was the most extreme one you could use on the B7, and it only went a tiny bit brighter on his 6, so that proves how much brighter the 6 vs 7 is.
Yeah it's the only thing that bugs me about my c7 is having to use the vertex to get proper HDR in games. LG never fixed it either which sucks. Besides vrr it by is the other main reason I'm going to upgrade to the c10 next year most likely.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

My theory is the B6 was *too* bright, at least for the technology at the time, in regard screen burn. That generation seemed to suffer more than any other. Saying that, you would have thought they would have tinkered with the B6, but it remains to this day a brighter television than my current Sony AF9 in all modes.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
My theory is the B6 was *too* bright, at least for the technology at the time, in regard screen burn. That generation seemed to suffer more than any other. Saying that, you would have thought they would have tinkered with the B6, but it remains to this day a brighter television than my current Sony AF9 in all modes.

I thought the 6 series got an update that nerfed the light output. I have an E6 but I recall blocking further updates for this reason and I never really looked back.

Did they fix it when I wasn't looking?

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the 6 series got an update that nerfed the light output. I have an E6 but I recall blocking further updates for this reason and I never really looked back.

Did they fix it when I wasn't looking?

The 6 series was a mess, what with the B6 having a different processor and thus different firmware upgrades. We also had different firmware revisions over this side of the pond compared to North America, so, who knows really?

My B6 is still ticking and being used, so I see it in action on occasion and it is still a wonderful display. Kinda a game-changer when it came to OLED as it was the first TV that achieved anything like mainstream recognition.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Once again considering finally upgrading to a OLED from my 2013 Plasma but I have two questions.

LG C9 and E9 - only difference in the 55" model is the better sound of the (and different stand) on the E9? Any other major differences? Couldn't find anything on LGs website but I read somewhere that the average panel quality is higher on the E9 but I doubt that since they use the same panel?

Also heavily considering the 65" model since it would be a major upgrade to my 50" plasma panel due to size alone but are there any major differences between the 55" and the 65" OLEDs when it comes to picture/panel quality?

Dave

Oct 26, 2017
My B6 has screen burn, which is very frustrating. Considering a B9 now, any other TV I should consider?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Once again considering finally upgrading to a OLED from my 2013 Plasma but I have two questions.

LG C9 and E9 - only difference in the 55" model is the better sound of the (and different stand) on the E9? Any other major differences? Couldn't find anything on LGs website but I read somewhere that the average panel quality is higher on the E9 but I doubt that since they use the same panel?

Also heavily considering the 65" model since it would be a major upgrade to my 50" plasma panel due to size alone but are there any major differences between the 55" and the 65" OLEDs when it comes to picture/panel quality?
Yeah, E9 sound and stand are the only difference to the C9. People have said that it gets the better panels that come off the line, although the spec is the same, the E9's allegedly just get the best binned ones but it is hard to prove.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
There's a new update via online for the LG C9. Whats interesting is there's a new HDR setting in game mode, under dynamic tone mapping there's now HGiG. Which stands for
HDR Gaming Interest Group. Very cool except no one currently knows how it works or what exactly it does. First step in establishing a HDR gaming standard??
It would be so cool if there was a set and forget option for HDR that games could interface with in the future. God knows it's desperately needed, I'm sure most people don't want to fiddle around with sliders and vague instructions, nor should they be expected to.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
I currently have the OLED 77C8 and I might have to send it back to Amazon (too convoluted to go into why and it depends on tomorrow). What would be a high class LED TV for gaming? Does Samsung have suitable gaming TVs?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The HGIG stuff sounds interesting, assuming consoles and developers support it along with other TV manufacturers. Still not sure what the actual setting on the TV does, but the theiry is that it will get rid of calibration, not need dynamic tone mapping as the tone map will be set in the game and have a TV model database on the console, read what the TV is and set the min and max luminance automatically. At least that's my read on it.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
How are the mid-tier, couple hundred dollar, projector's these days? I borrowed a cheap $80 one that put out a 480p video for a E3 viewing party and was surprised with how adequate it was. Even side-by-side with my 1080p screen it wasn't explicitly terrible; being able to blow up the image in my garage for everyone to see was a solid trade-off.

Is there a middle ground between that cheap projector and the high-end machines? Something in the $200-$300 range, getting into 720p territory, that would be good for event viewing?

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Yeah, E9 sound and stand are the only difference to the C9. People have said that it gets the better panels that come off the line, although the spec is the same, the E9's allegedly just get the best binned ones but it is hard to prove.
Would there be any recommendation for a E8 vs a C9? I see the price is a bit lower on Amazon for the E8 and wasn't sure if the quality difference was enough to lose the HDMI 2.1 features of the C9.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Would there be any recommendation for a E8 vs a C9? I see the price is a bit lower on Amazon for the E8 and wasn't sure if the quality difference was enough to lose the HDMI 2.1 features of the C9.

Nah, the C9 is the better bet there. Just save up for a better sound system if you don't have speakers or a sound bar already setup.