• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I might finally take the plunge on a 4k TV this week and grab the Sony X900F. I see that it's listed in the OP, but is there anything that I should be aware before making the purchase? I've looked at reviews and nothing I've read has scared me off, but I'm not that familiar with TV tech.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
As someone with a C8, it is only fair that LG updates older models with G-Sync support.

I don't think updating G-Sync is that simple, I guess it needs to be a panel capable of VRR like the C9. Is not like you can use G-sync with every monitor, it needs to be compatible, right?

What it bothers me is no HGIG for the C8 though, that seems something easier to patch unless I'm missing something.

That's good to hear. Wouldn't that technically make the 2018 C8s compatible as well?

Why? the B9 is the same as the C9 but with an older chip, it has the same features including 2.1 VRR and is essencially the same panel. B8/C8 are different.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think updating G-Sync is that simple, I guess it needs to be a panel capable of VRR like the C9. Is not like you can use G-sync with every monitor, it needs to be compatible, right?

What it bothers me is no HGIG for the C8 though, that seems something easier to patch unless I'm missing something.

Why? the B9 is the same as the C9 but with an older chip, it has the same features including 2.1 VRR and is essencially the same panel. B8/C8 are different.

LG greed. Even Vizio is updating their 2017 sets with apple tv.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
HGIG might make it to older LG's, you never know. Hell, we didn't know it was happening for C9 until it dropped. GSync won't since it needs VRR support.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
What I want is a way to play movies bought from iTunes on the TV, since they're the only ones who show certain movies in DV (such as Blade Runner). But of course there'd be no point if the quality was compromised.
The TCL 6 series from last and this year has Apple TV app too. Although unless I'm missing something, movies only play in HDR on them so I would do research on that (same movies play in DV through my actual Apple TV box).

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Well I for one am real glad I opted for a C8 over a B8, playing MW in multiplayer at a locked 120 FPS, with that amazing HDR, is an awesome experience.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
C9 owners who updated to the latest 441.08 driver, are you able to add a custom resolution of 3840x2160 with a refresh rate of 66Hz, using CRU?

I updated to 441.08 and am currently facing a weird issue which is preventing me from doing just that, even though I was successful on 440.52 (everything else is on the same version, including the TV's firmware: 04.70.05).

After uninstalling the previous beta drivers (using DDU) and installing the current official ones, I opened CRU and added a new detailed resolution of 3840x2160 with a 66Hz refresh rate, selecting "Automatic - LCD standard" as the Timing. I then ran restart64.exe to restart the graphics driver to apply the EDID override - the standard procedure.

This time, however, the whole system rebooted without my input, and got caught in an infinite reboot loop. I couldn't do anything until Windows automatically displayed the option to boot into safe mode, which I did, and again used DDU to uninstall the drivers, thinking there was something wrong with them.

A few more uninstalls and reinstalls later, I can safely say that I am not able to add a custom resolution of 4K@66Hz refresh rate via either CRU or NVCP itself.

With CRU, I'm instantly kicked into an infinite reboot loop after restarting the graphics driver. Using NVCP, any resolution of 4K at refresh rates higher than 60Hz are not allowed after Windows is finished testing them. Before, I was able to add various resolutions with refresh rates up to 66Hz, but NVCP would only give me the option of RGB/8bpc in the color settings (CRU allowed for YCbCr444/422 and 8/10/12bpc).

Have any of you experienced the same issue, or have you successfully added a custom resolution of 4K@66Hz using CRU, while on 441.08?

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
What's the best reputable place with good pricing on the 65in C9? Looking to get one in the next week or two and trying not to spend $2500.

Thanks.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
I might finally take the plunge on a 4k TV this week and grab the Sony X900F. I see that it's listed in the OP, but is there anything that I should be aware before making the purchase? I've looked at reviews and nothing I've read has scared me off, but I'm not that familiar with TV tech.

The 900F's definitely a great set, but there's a newer Sony model released this year called the X950G that's gotten very excellent notices. I think someone on here said it's like a 900F on steroids. Best Buy currently has the 55" 900F and 950G at the same price ($1000).

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know its not exactly in the topic of this thread, but the Dolby Vision on the new iphone is actually legit, and the phone gets super bright. The main reason I got the phone was to get access to all of my Apple TV purchases and the HDR movies look better than I expected.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
I know its not exactly in the topic of this thread, but the Dolby Vision on the new iphone is actually legit, and the phone gets super bright. The main reason I got the phone was to get access to all of my Apple TV purchases and the HDR movies look better than I expected.

I always set brightness to 100% with auto brightness off. Who needs retinas anyway? 900+ NITS BABY!

Last edited:

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I always set brightness to 100% with auto brightness off. Who needs retinas anyway? 900+ NITS BABY!

Oh wow, thanks for linking that. Confirms most of what I suspected after using the same phone.

I did have the idea of turning off auto brightness before testing some movies, but its a good tip nonetheless.

I hope he does review the Note 10+

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, thanks for linking that. Confirms most of what I suspected after using the same phone.

I did have the idea of turning off auto brightness before testing some movies, but its a good tip nonetheless.

I hope he does review the Note 10+
I also compared my 11 Pro Max to my calibrated LG B7 OLED and the iPhone looks as good and sometimes even better. It's insane. :D

NaudiRajah

Jun 8, 2018
How does everyone feel about the Samsung 65q70r? I mostly play games on it and Costco has it for 1199$ starting today with a 5 year warranty. To me the picture looks amazing on it but the Samsung tends to get alot of hate and I'm not sure why?

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
What's the best reputable place with good pricing on the 65in C9? Looking to get one in the next week or two and trying not to spend $2500.

Thanks.

Beachcamera and Buydig (same company I believe) are the cheapest authorized sellers I'm aware of. Due to advertised pricing rules (MAP) they run their deals through call in orders and coupon code stacking through their Ebay and Google shopping store fronts. They routinely do $1699 and $1199 on the C9 (65 and 55 respectively), prices may creep a little lower with shopping season approaching.

itsjonduh

Jan 16, 2019
Hello all! Not sure if this is the best thread for this but my wife and I needed a new tv however were on a tight budget due to moving among other things and ended up with the Samsung RU8000. I was actually looking for the NU8000 but couldn't find any new in our area. Coming from an old 2013 set it was an upgrade either way. Now I know this set doesn't get bright enough for accurate HDR however it's supposed to be able to display sdr images just fine. The thing I'm finding an issue with is for sdr viewing the image seems dim. It's actually not dark or anything and the backlight is at 25. Increasing it doesn't change the perception of it being dim. What I actually found was that changing gamma settings fixes this issue. However, I don't want to mess with this setting without knowing what it's supposed to be set to especially if it's set properly and I'm just used to an inaccurate picture. On my previous tv the only option I had for gamma was a slider that went from -3 to +3. This was on 0 as default. Now this tv has a new setting as default that I'm not familiar with, BT 1886 with a slider as well set at 0. However it can also be changed to a 2.2 preset with no slider. I swap between them and on 2.2 there is the brightness back but it almost looks washed out? If I leave it on bt 1886 and bump the slider up to +1 I think that looks better but I'm hoping it's not washing it out. Should I be leaving this on bt 1886 at default 0 or changing this? It's been frustrating me since I've got the set as everything else looks perfect. Does anyone have any experience with this that might help?

my current settings are
Game mode
Backlight 25
Brightness: 0
Contrast 45
Sharpness 0
Color 25
Tint 0
Color tone warm 2
Digital clean view, contrast enhancer, auto motion plus all off
Gamma bt 1886 slider at 0
Color space auto

for movie mode I use the same settings however backlight at 11

Last edited:

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so my lg b8 came friggity fuckin' cracked today

took my last day off this year for it and everything

2 tvs being broken from amazon i've gotten now

Oct 27, 2017
When i watch some 2D animated shows like Bojack and disenchanted, my TCL TV sometimes shows visible lines when characters move. Like the outline of their features, only for a brief moment and only for really fast movement. It's not too annoying but I guess this is due to it being an inferior 4K set? I guess this is what's called the soap opera effect?

Last edited:

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Sorry to hear that. After a painful researching process I finally ordered a 55" C9 from Amazon so hopefully we both get good units.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
When I bought my c7 from Cleveland Plasma they had the box double protected. I'll likely buy a c10 from them next year.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was checking out another thread where I learned about the LG C9 and how it supports HDMI 2.1 as well as VRR and low latency for the Xbox One X.

I was going to wait until the full specs were out for the PS5, but is the C9 the best future-proofed TV out there? Or are there still some features the new consoles could introduce that warrant waiting for a 2020 TV model?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I was checking out another thread where I learned about the LG C9 and how it supports HDMI 2.1 as well as VRR and low latency for the Xbox One X.

I was going to wait until the full specs were out for the PS5, but is the C9 the best future-proofed TV out there? Or are there still some features the new consoles could introduce that warrant waiting for a 2020 TV model?

We don't know everything about the new consoles but the C9 with HDMI 2.1. should be future-proof for everything, atleast with what we know today.

lorsel

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Had my first day with my 65C9 yesterday. This thing blows my mind. Especially the gaming part. COD MW @ 4K HDR VRR on PC is just an incredible experience.
Although the C9 lacks PCM multichannel over eARC for the next 6 months i guess, you can just use a second HDMI cable and plug it into the HDMI port of your motherboard (or use second HDMI port of GPU) and then to your AVR. So you can have surround sound while using VRR.

And its actually insane how responsive and lagfree it feels.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Had my first day with my 65C9 yesterday. This thing blows my mind. Especially the gaming part. COD MW @ 4K HDR VRR on PC is just an incredible experience.
Although the C9 lacks PCM multichannel over eARC for the next 6 months i guess, you can just use a second HDMI cable and plug it into the HDMI port of your motherboard (or use second HDMI port of GPU) and then to your AVR. So you can have surround sound while using VRR.

And its actually insane how responsive and lagfree it feels.

Yeah, that's what Linus does on his setup at home. He found an app that locks the mouse to the first monitor and it works to use desktop extension to get VRR and multi channel at once.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
I get my GZ950 Panasonic OLED early next week. Upgrading from a Panasonic EX700 budget LCD so should be quite the difference.

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017

I own two Sony Xf900F sets and they are awesome. You won't go wrong with these. I purchased the 55" set a year ago and the only regret I had was not having gone for a bigger size. So literally a month ago I went and purchased the 65" set too. I could have got any other TV but decided to stick with this one because of the quality. When it comes to motion and upscaling, the Sony is one of the best in the business. The only slight negative is perhaps the set has a little bit of light blooming but to be honest it never really bothers me and I don't notice it when gaming. Although not OLED level, the blacks on this set are really inkly looking where it almost comes very close to OLED quality!

There's also the XG950 series released this year which is the follow up to the X900F. Honestly in my opinion, the increase in price doesn't really justify the slight upgrade. The XG950 is essentially a rebranded X900F but with a few additional features like slightly better image processing, 4K/60 on all HDMI ports, and slightly higher nits level, but for me the slight incremental upgrade isn't worth the added cost which is why I stuck with the XF when making a second purchase again.

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
The 900F's definitely a great set, but there's a newer Sony model released this year called the X950G that's gotten very excellent notices. I think someone on here said it's like a 900F on steroids. Best Buy currently has the 55" 900F and 950G at the same price ($1000).

Not sure who mentioned that the set is like the 900F but on steroids but that's not really true. It's a slight incremental upgrade from the XF series with just slightly better image processing, higher nits and full 4k/60 on all 4 HDMI ports. It's effectively a rebranded XF. I mean by all means if you can find both sets for the same price, may as well go for the XG but IMO I'd say to stick with the 900F if there is a disparity in price between the two.