• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Can c9 run 4k120 with 420 chroma sub sampling? I think this is possible with HDMI 2.0b but can't fully remember.

Rente

Oct 31, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Can c9 run 4k120 with 420 chroma sub sampling? I think this is possible with HDMI 2.0b but can't fully remember.
No, not possible right now on the LG OLEDs according to AVSFORUM. Maybe LG and Nvidia will make it available at a later date, but I think Nvidia will delay support for 4K/120 Hz until their GPUs fully support HDMI 2.1 (and with 4:4:4, 10-Bit and HDR).

Oh, forgot to mention: 1440p@120 Hz is supported.

Source: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-o...nvidia-g-sync-support-e9-c9-series-oleds.html

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
For those with C9s, what gamma do you run if using ISF Dark/Bright room? I had it on 2.2 according to RTINGS but they adjust their white space. I tried with BT1886 and it looked nice too. Less shadow detail but more dark.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We don't know everything about the new consoles but the C9 with HDMI 2.1. should be future-proof for everything, atleast with what we know today.

I'm at a position where it's convenient for me to upgrade to the C9 now, so I was wondering whether to take the plunge or wait.

Is the X1X the only current console to benefit from the VRR/low latency mode features? What does HDMI 2.1 do anyway, and do any current devices benefit from it?

As far as picture quality goes, is C9 currently the champ? Been seeing some talk about QLED taking over, so I wanted a bit more info.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at a position where it's convenient for me to upgrade to the C9 now, so I was wondering whether to take the plunge or wait.

Is the X1X the only current console to benefit from the VRR/low latency mode features? What does HDMI 2.1 do anyway, and do any current devices benefit from it?

As far as picture quality goes, is C9 currently the champ? Been seeing some talk about QLED taking over, so I wanted a bit more info.

QLED taking over... ? Ok.

I mean it's still an LCD, nothing has changed in that regard. It's not suddenly going to change the strengths and weaknesses of the two technologies.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
QLED taking over... ? Ok.

I mean it's still an LCD, nothing has changed in that regard. It's not suddenly going to change the strengths and weaknesses of the two technologies.

Well again, I'm a bit behind on the loop. I wasn't going to research until next year, but it seems upgrading now would leave me golden for next gen.

Still wish 3D would come back, but I guess that isn't looking to be happening any time soon.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Right now only the X supports VRR. HDMI 2.1 has some improvements over 2.0 like VRR, 8K/60fps and more shit I don't know but I don't think there's anything yet that has full 2.1 features.

About picture, everyone has it's preference. OLED has so far better contrast by being the only panel that can show perfect blacks, it's the winner in dark or not very bright rooms IMO, if you are in a very well lit room LED/QLED has better brightness so it may be better, but it depends on your room. If you can compare them in a mall or something it's always the best option.

C9 has 2.1 so it should be future-proof. No QLED has 2.1 yet (well, expect the 8K one but why would anyone buy that?).

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
1440p120 not bad sitting 8 feet back. Anyone know what the max frame rate HDMI 2.0b can handle at 1800p (3200 x1800)?

C9 is seems to be future proof for features but there will always be improvements. For example this image was part of the LG display roadmap in the past and if it still holds the 2020 oled panels night get a nice bump in nits.
content_small_b2eae364bf6b160f03301400739435b4941e8e3af9ebc2fb7d0dac0604d44e34.jpg

Might be looking at peak brightness that finally hits 1000 nits next year. 2022 looks like those rumored super oled panels to me. That slide is over a year old now so I guess we will find out in a couple months at ces if this is still on track.

Also it seems that Samsung is jumping into the oled game too in the next year or so. Guess they are sick of losing hdtv test shoot outs hah.

SloMoBackSlap

Feb 15, 2018
I'm confused by that screenshot. I thought HDR10 was 1,000 nits, and that is like, the lowest for standard HDR. Maybe that brightness isn't taking HDR into account?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
You still gotta wait for another to get dispatched vs getting one then and there. Comes down to how patient you are with, in some cases, these $1,000+ purchases.

I prefer to have mine delivered because some retailers will try to pin pre-existing damage on you for transporting it yourself. Yeah you can try to open it in store but I've heard horror stories where possible minute cracks that weren't evident manifest when it's powered on and warmed up.

Heck I once had Best Buy's employees drop and break my TV trying to put it in my car back in the day. Good times.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Just got my LG C9 today, but it won't detect anything other than 1080P 60 hz on Windows. I'm using the same hdmi as the one i used on my B7A and that was able to display 4k/60 hz just fine. Any idea how to fix this? :(

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
On the subject of brightness, I decided to call LG Warranty today about my C8, which I purchased in June 2018.

When I got the TV, everything was performing as expected, the one exception being these vertical transparent lines I would see in certain dark/grey pictures. It was this very forum where I learned that it was called banding, and that the effect would either go away or disappear with proper brightness settings.

I had wrestled with calling LG while my warranty was still active, since I didn't want to go through the hassle of a tech coming upstairs, taking the TV out and replacing it (if needed), and I've had a history of getting overly paranoid with features of a TV that are considered "perfectly normal" by others. I chose to deal with it by having my brightness down to the mid-40s, though I could still see it here and there.

But with the recent talk about the C9 and the temptation to upgrade, I decided to finally call LG about it to see what they could do. I'm past the warranty by a few months, but the rep said they would escalate it after the proper uploading of pictures and receipt to do an extension. I also mentioned a desire to upgrade to see if they could offer a discount upon purchase, which is something they did last time when my E6 got burn-in (yeah, I was apparently one of those one-in-a-million folks who suffered burn-in in 2017).

This is one of the pictures I submitted to LG. I had to make do since it was daytime and reflections were unavoidable, but I think this properly illustrates the issue:

inkedimg_2049_lidlkjs.jpg

Guess we'll see what happens from here.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Last edited:

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused by that screenshot. I thought HDR10 was 1,000 nits, and that is like, the lowest for standard HDR. Maybe that brightness isn't taking HDR into account?

Others can probably explain this better than me but the screen shot is looking at a 100 percent window. It basically means the new panel should be able to get brighter overall by a decent jump. If those plans by LG display are still in place.

Last edited:

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
It does actually. Full 4:4:4 8bit at 120hz takes 25.82 Gbit/s and 4:2:0 halves that. 12.91 Gbit/s is well within the limits of 14.4 Gbit/s that HDMI 2.0b provides.

The reason why the C9 doesn't support it is because the functionality for 4K HFR over HDMI is yet to come in a firmware update.

Neat. Curious to see the results when an update occurs.

Edit:. Didn't mean to double post! Oh well.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
It does actually. Full 4:4:4 8bit at 120hz takes 25.82 Gbit/s and 4:2:0 halves that. 12.91 Gbit/s is well within the limits of 14.4 Gbit/s that HDMI 2.0b provides.

The reason why the C9 doesn't support it is because the functionality for 4K HFR over HDMI is yet to come in a firmware update.

Sn20smt.png

I'm not seeing where you get 12.91.. but I concede that it looks like it might squeeze JUST under 18. Extron's calculator indicates that 4K@120 8 bit 4:4:4 is 35.64Gbps.

Any why point to the C9 which has HDMI 2.1 support? Edit: I see the C9 mentioned so the HDMI 2.0b was just incorrect and that's what I was responding to anyways.

Last edited:

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
I'm not seeing where you get 12.91.. but I concede that it looks like it might squeeze JUST under 18. Extron's calculator indicates that 4K@120 8 bit 4:4:4 is 35.64Gbps.

Any why point to the C9 which has HDMI 2.1 support? Edit: I see the C9 mentioned so the HDMI 2.0b was just incorrect and that's what I was responding to anyways.
I just went with the data rates listed on Wikipedia because that was the most handy. If you look at total transmission rates it's 17.82 Gbit/s which is under the 18.0 Gbit/s of 2.0b.

I'm just clearing this up because there is a chance to do 4k 120hz on current GPUs and it already works with some Samsung TVs even. When the C9 gets the update it'll surely work there too.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah looking back at my post I can see why you were confused. I was speaking of HDMI 2.0b from my video card since there aren't any HDMI 2.1 video cards yet.

Likely though I'll want to get a 30 series card with HDMI 2.1 to properly use 4k120. Though I might have to do some checking to see what I can get out of a custom 1800p resolution because I love that middle ground between 1440p and 4k playing from my PC on my TV. Even so 1440p upscaled sitting 8 feet back isn't bad but I still see some fuzziness on a 65 inch TV. At 1800p I really don't see the difference between it and native 4k and grab a 30 percent performance boost.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Yeah, that's what Linus does on his setup at home. He found an app that locks the mouse to the first monitor and it works to use desktop extension to get VRR and multi channel at once.

You don't need that app, just position the secondary "display" (actually, your AVR) diagonally, relative to one of the corners of the primary one, like this:

Screens.png

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
Apologies to the mods. I started a new thread to ask this question without checking this one existed.
Anyway, I'm looking for a new TV or monitor for my desktop setup and need a few suggestions.

Not sure what size to go for or if I need 4k at a desk? My budget is no more than a grand.
What do you guys use at your desks?

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
EvilBoris have you done testing of the PS4's adjust HDR feature? I'd like to know the numerical values of each slider as I'm worried the all white background will cause ABL to kick in and throw off the results.

SloMoBackSlap

Feb 15, 2018
Others can probably explain this better than me but the screen shot is looking at a 100 percent window. It basically means the new panel should be able to get brighter overall by a decent jump. If those plans by LG display are still in place.

Got it. That was actually pretty clear. Thanks for explaining that.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

Sn20smt.png
The numbers aren't quite right, but the sentiment is the same. 4K 120hz at 4:2:0 is doable technically, it's just not part of the HDMI 2.0b spec
180611_HDMI_data_rates_for_4K_HDR_formats.png

EvilBoris have you done testing of the PS4's adjust HDR feature? I'd like to know the numerical values of each slider as I'm worried the all white background will cause ABL to kick in and throw off the results.

The big white background is intended to cause that kind of effect. Most games won't even use The value there and will take the value from the black background one. There is no point trying to override it , it's there to figure out what your display's ABL/ full screen mapping is doing

Last edited:

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
I had a question regarding Dolby Vision playback from an external HDD. I've read that Dolby Vision isn't supported via MKV or m2ts files. Outside of a hack with the discontinued Oppo player that costs like 2 grand on eBay haha.

However, when playing some of the demo content I downloaded from 4kmedia - My LG C9 pops up with the little Dolby Vision icon.

What's the deal?
Catching up on the thread after a few days away and just saw this. Not sure if you know but you can make your own Dolby Vision mp4's that will play directly from a HDD. Only issue is that they only support AC3 audio so if you have a decent sound system you have to choose between DV or uncompressed audio.

You just extract the video, DV and audio layers from an MKV then mash them back together as an mp4 file using a command line tool. It's fairy simple. Can't remember what it's called but if you want to know, drop me a PM and I'll check for you when I get home.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

Usually the larger the area the dinner a display will be. Whilst a consumer OLED can hit 800ish nits for a small area , they drop right back for a large area (as do most LCD sets). The current recommendation is for content is to be produced to 213 bits for "paper white" which means they currently fall short.
By contrast a production reference OLED will hit 1000 nits and a premium LCD may be 700nits.

Panasonic make an OLED which has additional coo to help it get over 200.

The reference monitors are typical inches thick and fan/liquid cooled to stop the diodes from dying

Last edited:

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
The setting "fit to screen" on TVs should always be enabled, right? Because while I was playing on Switch this setting was set to auto, but auto is exactly the same as off. I'll go enable it now and set the screen size in the Switch settings correctly too.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty niche but anyone who has access to iPlayer - 'Seven worlds, one planet' looks utterly stunning in UHD HDR. Demo material stuff.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there any word or even possibility of the C9 getting cheaper than it currently is on Black Friday?

I'm trying to talk myself out of getting one tomorrow and waiting until later, but the stars seem to be aligning: in addition to Best Buy having a nearby open box item that bumps off $200, I've got a card offer from my bank that talks about taking an additional $200 off if I spent over $900 in the first 90 days.

As a C8 owner, does the C9 offer any big picture improvements? The main draw is to sample the VRR/low latency features now with the Xbox One X and future-proof it for the PS5 and so forth.

I feel like I'm largely fueled by impulse purchasing, but it is a pretty good deal right now.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any word or even possibility of the C9 getting cheaper than it currently is on Black Friday?

I'm trying to talk myself out of getting one tomorrow and waiting until later, but the stars seem to be aligning: in addition to Best Buy having a nearby open box item that bumps off $200, I've got a card offer from my bank that talks about taking an additional $200 off if I spent over $900 in the first 90 days.

As a C8 owner, does the C9 offer any big picture improvements? The main draw is to sample the VRR/low latency features now with the Xbox One X and future-proof it for the PS5 and so forth.

I feel like I'm largely fueled by impulse purchasing, but it is a pretty good deal right now.
I'm in the same boat. I want to get it in time to play death stranding, but also think I might be able to wait if I can save $200-300. I don't have a C8 though.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

The picture upgrade is barely existent. 2020's C10 is supposed to be the panel upgrade. There's probably no reason for a C8 owner to upgrade to a C9 as most.of the benefits are from next gen consoles, that will be out after the C10 anyway.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The picture upgrade is barely existent. 2020's C10 is supposed to be the panel upgrade. There's probably no reason for a C8 owner to upgrade to a C9 as most.of the benefits are from next gen consoles, that will be out after the C10 anyway.

Thanks for talking me out of it. Damn near came close a couple times.

If 2020 brings the panel upgrade then I'll wait for that, especially if we'll have full PS5 specs by then to truly determine the ideal TV.

I was partly ready to get rid of my C8 before the resale price drops too low as I was disappointed by the vertical banding issue I mentioned above. Even if LG approves the warranty, I'm not exactly keen on the hassle of a tech person coming to the house and having to lug the TV out if necessary. It seemed more convenient and easier to just sell the C8 after getting the C9.

But maybe the process is a lot easier than I'm expecting and I'll come out with a better TV out of it, so I'll wait it out.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Couple of days of LG C9 use
-HDR is so much brighter than B7A! B7A is dim in comparison.
-fantastic picture
-Instant game response seems broken at least on PC. Messes everything up so I left it disabled. I guess it's meant for the consoles?
-For the life of me I can't figure out how to get 1440p 120hz through my reciever. :(( I created a custom resolution and that seemed to work, but idk why it's not showing up natively on Windows or NVCP.

Need to try VRR on Xbox One X. What game should I try it out on?

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
I own two Sony Xf900F sets and they are awesome. You won't go wrong with these. I purchased the 55" set a year ago and the only regret I had was not having gone for a bigger size. So literally a month ago I went and purchased the 65" set too. I could have got any other TV but decided to stick with this one because of the quality. When it comes to motion and upscaling, the Sony is one of the best in the business. The only slight negative is perhaps the set has a little bit of light blooming but to be honest it never really bothers me and I don't notice it when gaming. Although not OLED level, the blacks on this set are really inkly looking where it almost comes very close to OLED quality!

There's also the XG950 series released this year which is the follow up to the X900F. Honestly in my opinion, the increase in price doesn't really justify the slight upgrade. The XG950 is essentially a rebranded X900F but with a few additional features like slightly better image processing, 4K/60 on all HDMI ports, and slightly higher nits level, but for me the slight incremental upgrade isn't worth the added cost which is why I stuck with the XF when making a second purchase again.
Which is why it's great that the 55" 950G is the same price as the 900F now today. They're both $999.

You get the X1 Ultimate processor (over the Extreme) and the higher nits brightness. So it's a great time to buy an LCD again, and it's insane that you can get a 65" 950G for $1499 too. (the 65" 900f is actually $1199)

I'm still in love with my 930E from two years ago and I paid $1500 for the 55". It has higher brightness than these sets, possibly even a better picture with higher contrast. But the 950G seems like the true successor to what I purchased, and that's what I'd go with if I were looking to buy an LCD. It easily seems like the best value you can get on a reliable LCD right now.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Couple of days of LG C9 use
-HDR is so much brighter than B7A! B7A is dim in comparison.
-fantastic picture
-Instant game response seems broken at least on PC. Messes everything up so I left it disabled. I guess it's meant for the consoles?
-For the life of me I can't figure out how to get 1440p 120hz through my reciever. :(( I created a custom resolution and that seemed to work, but idk why it's not showing up natively on Windows or NVCP.

Need to try VRR on Xbox One X. What game should I try it out on?

same. I went from B7A to C9 and it's like seeing God. HDR mode is fixed and the ABL is not as offensively aggressive as before.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018

I definitely wouldn't buy an open box, and especially not at Best Buy prices. In a best case that is a return that had banding, regionalized color tinting, or some other common minor abnormality the customer was unwilling to live with. As a worst case it's a floor model that has been run 20 hours a day with some level of probable burn in. Whether the prices drop further or not, authorized online retailers already sell brand new 55" and 65" C9's for $1199 and $1699 respectively which I'm guessing are far lower than BB's open box price. There is absolutely zero reason to buy a used and likely defective open box for more.