• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just got an update on my C8

Two-Buttons.jpg
Lol no way I'm touching that for a while.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, the theatre is a dedicated room - it's a tiny space, just big enough for the two recliners, the equipment, etc. It's kind of a shame, as I'd love to have enough room for 4 people to watch stuff.

It probably looks insane in there though. I bet the screen takes up the whole room!

I'm just trying to think through whether I'd really need to keep a TV behind the projector screen or roll with just the screen. I couldn't imagine watching to watch a 65" TV if there's a 110" TV in the same space.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who owned a PJ you *need* a TV as well. You won't be wanting to fire up the PJ every time you want to watch or play anything. I'm guessing it has all changed now, but it was a ball ache having to wait for the lamp to light up fully and of course the limited lifetime of the lamps. I ended up saving mine for special occasions but even then I couldn't be bothered eventually.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the other side of camp. After 20 years of projectors ranging from CRTs, LCDs, and DLPs. I shut my projector movie room down and went to my 77" Oled. Direct view and excellent blacks won out for me. I just sit closet like 6' and get pretty much the same FOV as before. But projectors are fun. I'll maybe go back one day.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
It probably looks insane in there though. I bet the screen takes up the whole room!

I'm just trying to think through whether I'd really need to keep a TV behind the projector screen or roll with just the screen. I couldn't imagine watching to watch a 65" TV if there's a 110" TV in the same space.
Yup, this picture is from before we painted the walls black, etc... but you can see how the 92" was the biggest we could fit - the 100" wouldn't clear the walls!
udleC4E_d.jpg

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone speak to me about the Sony OLED's... I've been given a great deal on the XBR65A8G... It's going to be used for more movie watching, sports and TV. I'll be gaming on it, but not all the time (since I have a B9).

it's not going to be a lot different to your B9 to be honest. I love my AF9 but the LGs are now as close as they have ever been to Sony processing and motion.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who owned a PJ you *need* a TV as well. You won't be wanting to fire up the PJ every time you want to watch or play anything. I'm guessing it has all changed now, but it was a ball ache having to wait for the lamp to light up fully and of course the limited lifetime of the lamps. I ended up saving mine for special occasions but even then I couldn't be bothered eventually.

That's kind of what I expected! Thanks!

Yup, this picture is from before we painted the walls black, etc... but you can see how the 92" was the biggest we could fit - the 100" wouldn't clear the walls!
udleC4E_d.jpg

Like a fucking movie theater...

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
That's kind of what I expected! Thanks!

Like a fucking movie theater...
A really tiny one, but yeah! :) When the lights are down and stuff is playing, it's easy to to "feel" like it's a theater. Next up is covering the back wall a bit, to knock down the projector noise and generally make everything look a bit cleaner.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
How noisy do they get??
Most projector reviews will talk about relative noise levels. It also depends on what picture mode you're using: because it's a small, blacked-out room with a screen, I can throw mine into "Eco" mode and still have plenty of brightness, and it's quieter. Because of my room size, however, the projector is RIGHT behind our heads, so noise is more noticeable.

Of course, that's assuming it can be heard over the Atmos 7-speaker madness that is happening at the same time! :)

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
Holy shit. I got my new 77 C9 delivered and setup today and Dam does it make any game look very pretty. I'm surprised how bright it seems. It's a fucking amazing TV.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. I got my new 77 C9 delivered and setup today and Dam does it make any game look very pretty. I'm surprised how bright it seems. It's a fucking amazing TV.

I'm so on the fence between waiting for the 10's and pulling the trigger on this.

There was a great deal thru Dell today (yesterday?) but I don't trust them to work with me if there's a problem.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone here has the Sony X800G? I'm on the verge of buying the 55" model. Would like to hear some impressions and opinions first though. How is the HDR performance on it?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
That's only available in Game Mode right? What does one lose/gain by gaming in HDR Game Mode instead of Cinema or Technicolor if the set is calibrated?
Ah sorry, outside of game mode , use dynamic tone mapping Off.
You gain reduced input latency, and technically the image is worse, but this is from a point of view of the display being calibrated

Last edited:

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I remember looking at a roadmap and I know 5.0 was going to happen sooner than 3 > 4 but I didn't think 5.0 would arrive until 2021. Very interesting

Well, Intel is supposedly skipping 4.0 entirely and going directly to 5.0. But it wouldn't surprise me if most of the stuff we see in 2020 is datacenter-oriented, since there is more need for higher PCI bandwidth there than in the consumer space.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Pie is rolling out to the 2019 Sony models with the long promised support for Airplay. Appears the US is getting it first.

The A9F and Z9F are also getting it, and Airplay (which was not previously announced, but isn't a huge shock as those use the same chipset at the 2019 models).

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
are LG sets getting an actual apple TV app, or just airplay 2? It'd be nice to have a real app to browse through.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
The picture quality of this set is unmatched. Seeing the tv at work everyday did not set me up to how it looks in home. Only thing that I need to get use to is WebOS interface. I don't like that it keeps apps open (or remembers the last position).

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The picture quality of this set is unmatched. Seeing the tv at work everyday did not set me up to how it looks in home. Only thing that I need to get use to is WebOS interface. I don't like that it keeps apps open (or remembers the last position).

If you want to close an app, long press the back button.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
After scoffing at movie theaters poor picture quality compared to OLED I don't think I'd ever want a home projector. Gimme a big OLED instead.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
My Q9FN received a new update yesterday but before I could click on "details" it was gone. What has changed? On YouTube someone claims Samsung made it so that you don't have to use game mode anymore and can use standard or movie mode fine, but I doubt that. Sure you can use it, but the input lag won't be nearly as low as game.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
So my C9 was repaired today to fix the blinking screen and flashing pixels issue, and both have been resolved after the motherboard was replaced.

However, I now have a new and very confusing issue: ghosting on the PS4 Pro, most easily visible when rotating the camera around a character in a third person game. It definitely wasn't an issue before the repair.

The Switch doesn't seem to suffer the same problem, as far as I can tell. Rotating the camera around Link in BotW shows no ghosting, as expected, while rotating the camera in AC Odyssey clearly shows it.

I tried the HDMI cable from the Switch in case that was the issue, but it was still there. I unplugged the PS4 Pro from the VR breakout box and ran it directly to the TV, but it was still there.

Motion interpolation is definitely disabled as it's on game mode, and the ghosting still appears across various presets.

Any idea what's going on here or what further troubleshooting steps I can take? I was really hoping I could finally just relax and enjoy the TV but its problems seem never ending.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Last question, for an lg b9 should peak brightness be set to off or high for sdr content? Just not sure if it's degrading image accuracy. Using the expert (dark room)mode for when I'm watching blu-rays or streaming without hdr.

Last edited:

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So my C9 was repaired today to fix the blinking screen and flashing pixels issue, and both have been resolved after the motherboard was replaced.

However, I now have a new and very confusing issue: ghosting on the PS4 Pro, most easily visible when rotating the camera around a character in a third person game. It definitely wasn't an issue before the repair.

The Switch doesn't seem to suffer the same problem, as far as I can tell. Rotating the camera around Link in BotW shows no ghosting, as expected, while rotating the camera in AC Odyssey clearly shows it.

I tried the HDMI cable from the Switch in case that was the issue, but it was still there. I unplugged the PS4 Pro from the VR breakout box and ran it directly to the TV, but it was still there.

Motion interpolation is definitely disabled as it's on game mode, and the ghosting still appears across various presets.

Any idea what's going on here or what further troubleshooting steps I can take? I was really hoping I could finally just relax and enjoy the TV but its problems seem never ending.

Have you tried other games on the PS4 Pro?

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
Well I ordered the 65" Vizio Quantum X last night to replace my 65" Sony 900F that I sold, sadly it was on back order so it wont ship til the 6th. Crossing my fingers I enjoy this set, compared to the 900F (maybe I just had a bad 900F).

Looking forward to seeing that high 2k+ nit peak brightness!

SeriousGoku

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Guys,

Im on a budget. And from everything I've read, the HiSense H8F is the best overall bang for buck budget TV on the market.
Anyone here with any experience with this TV?

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Most projector reviews will talk about relative noise levels. It also depends on what picture mode you're using: because it's a small, blacked-out room with a screen, I can throw mine into "Eco" mode and still have plenty of brightness, and it's quieter. Because of my room size, however, the projector is RIGHT behind our heads, so noise is more noticeable.

Of course, that's assuming it can be heard over the Atmos 7-speaker madness that is happening at the same time! :)

Lol, makes sense. I'm drooling over the thought of a 110" screen coupled with A7SM (plus Subwoofer)!!!

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Picked up a Vizio M507-G1 yesterday for $300. I realize it's not at the top of the food chain, but after looking at reviews, I don't think I could have done any better at this price range. It definitely blows my 10 year old plasma with burn-in out of the water.