• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Do any TVs with Alexa/HomeKit support allow you to actually play stuff on them? My c9 has Alexa but I haven't set it up as we have an echo in the living room / it I would like to be able to say eg 'Alexa watch the latest episode of the crown' and it starts playing

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do any TVs with Alexa/HomeKit support allow you to actually play stuff on them? My c9 has Alexa but I haven't set it up as we have an echo in the living room / it I would like to be able to say eg 'Alexa watch the latest episode of the crown' and it starts playing

I've only tried the Google Assistant stuff and yes it does. You have to say which service and for Google, if not using the remote mic, I have to say "Ask LG to play Futurama on Netflix" or whatever

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
Not sure if you guys think this is a great deal, but just saw on the Austrian version of hotdealsuk (geizhals.at) that the 77C9 was down to 3500 Euro on both the 18th and the 21st of November. Damn.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
So I just bought a LG 65C9 and I was wondering what was the best looking Blu-ray movie period, please help me been blown away!

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
B8/C8 isn't getting Airplay either.

The support of these TVs is ridiculous. The premium price shouldn't only come with the specs but also with the service offered through updates if you ask me...
Bullshit on the C8 especially, it has an Alpha 9 processor.

All these TV companies are scummy.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
I got a HiSense 58" 4K tv over Black Friday for a cheap price ($389.99 + tax) from Cotsco. Its model # is 58r6+.

I've been happy with the TV so far but I am trying to calibrate its picture settings on Xbox One. Part of the calibration process on Xbox One involves changing brightness to see a black closed eye, and changin contrast to see a white sun.

No matter what I do I CANNOT see the black closed eye or the white sun. This TV as far as I know doesn't allow me to change black levels. Is that the problem? And does this mean the TV has crushed blacks?

I've tried different things like changing colour space and colour depth etc. I can't seem to fix this. Cotsco has a 90-day return policy... should I return the TV or am I missing something obvious or is this not a big deal?

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
With HGiG not being a part of the LG OLED 8 series, is the recommendation still to keep dynamic tone mapping set to off?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I got a HiSense 58" 4K tv over Black Friday for a cheap price ($389.99 + tax) from Cotsco. Its model # is 58r6+.

I've been happy with the TV so far but I am trying to calibrate its picture settings on Xbox One. Part of the calibration process on Xbox One involves changing brightness to see a black closed eye, and changin contrast to see a white sun.

No matter what I do I CANNOT see the black closed eye or the white sun. This TV as far as I know doesn't allow me to change black levels. Is that the problem? And does this mean the TV has crushed blacks?

I've tried different things like changing colour space and colour depth etc. I can't seem to fix this. Cotsco has a 90-day return policy... should I return the TV or am I missing something obvious or is this not a big deal?

Color space is set to standard, right? It probably is, but it being set to PC RGB would certainly cause this issue on most TVs.

ximg_58af9058322f9.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.JBI3ln-YlY.png

Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys. I'm apparently recieving this tv as a present. (It hasn't arrived yet so no idea what it'll be like in person). I haven't kept up with TVs for years & I've never had a 4K, smart, or HDR screen before. I have some questions:

• Is there a reason it's so pricey? I did a quick google search and found considerably cheaper smart 4K/HDR tvs. I frankly feel a little bad looking at the sticker price.
  • Did some reading and apparently OLED tvs are best, while this is basically an LCD tv? I don't mind at all, but curious if I should expect an actual HDR picture at any capacity from this TV? Or is it just a marketing label in this case? (If HDR is indeed a thing with this tv, do cables matter? I currently use basic HDMI cables along with HDMI splitters for current & last gen consoles. Do these generally play nice with 4K HDR picture, or should I ditch the cable and splitters?)
Thanks, and sorry about the questions influx.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't started down the rabbit hole of HDR modes and gaming yet. Still enjoying straight ISF dark mode without other changes. I'm sure that honeymoon will finish soon enough but I hope it doesn't get too annoying - Reading the millions of posts on here about finagling LG settings

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
With HGiG not being a part of the LG OLED 8 series, is the recommendation still to keep dynamic tone mapping set to off?

I think it depends on every one. Some people think it blows whites, some people think it's worth fot the enhanced highlighs. I personally like it on better, especially considering games are mastered to up to 4000 nits or more. The tradeoff is worth it to me, I try both with all games and I always like DTM better. If you look around other forums people are pretty divided around it.

Movies are another story.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Hey folks, over the weekend I ended up buying a LG 55C9 open box return at Costco. Seemed worth a shot given the low price($1000) and Costco's return and warranty policies. Anyway, I won't be able to test it out for a couple weeks, but I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on red flags I should look out for once I'm up and running.

Pesmerga

Aug 22, 2018
I ended up ordering the LG C9 77 inch for 3500 Euro at cyber monday this week.

I originally didn't have any plans to buy anything but this deal was to hard to pass on all things taken into the equation (read below)

The store has the return window open until January 31th so i guess im on the safe side if CES has any news regarding major advancements in OLED technology that also will be commercially viable and sell-able next year.

My last tv purchase was 5 years ago and iv been on a 65 inch sony lcd 4k non hdr tv since then. I think this upgrade is right in time.

- Really good price
- 40% more screen size compared to previous tv
- HDR vs non HDR
- OLED vs edge lit LCD
- HDMI 2.1 vs HDMI 1.4

Last edited:

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh snap, Costco has the TV back in stock that I was thinking of buying last Friday but couldn't because it was sold out (the sale is on until tomorrow)....do I buy it?!?!

Sony 65" 900F

Hexadron

Oct 25, 2017
Is there such thing as a good quality TV that is around 32"? This would be for movie watching and gaming primarily. The only smaller sized ones I have come across look really cheap (as in cheaply made/not a good picture)

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting this TV:

TCL 55" Class - 6-Series - 4K UHD LED LCD TV

May I ask please for a recommendation for a good soundbar/sound system? Especially a current or upcoming deal.
I'm not sure what typical prices for quality are like.

I received this kind recommendation from another member via PM:

"The lowest end sound bar that I see recommended is this one from Vizio, which does have HDMI ARC. It also has a wireless subwoofer and side surround speakers that plug into it. It's a budget 5.1 system that would get the job done. Currently $150 at Best Buy for CyberMonday.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-smartcast-5-1-channel-sound-bar-system-with-5-1-4-wireless-subwoofer-black/5768100.p?skuId=5768100&irclickid=U6zwpIxgrxyOU9T0TWXZ0S3wUkn3NV1JLwaUVA0&irgwc=1&ref=198&loc=U6zwpIxgrxyOU9T0TWXZ0S3wUkn3NV1JLwaUVA0&acampID=614286&mpid=197432 "

It's not on sale at the moment but maybe it will be again.

Is this the one y'all would recommend too or something else? Looking for something good quality but probably not top of the line. Not sure how much I want to spend...maybe $200 or less?

Thanks in advance for your time all!

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Just to make sure I'm getting it right, Colour Gamut should be set to auto on all HDR sources on the C9, right? I noticed it defaults to extended in the cinema modes but I assume auto will always give the correct output.

Also, now that my TV seems to be fixed I'll probably get it calibrated early next year. Who's good in London?

I could kick up a fuss about the horizontal banding on this display but it has no obvious tinting and seems to be on the upper end for this model's peak luminance, so I'm gonna settle.

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
My LG C8 65" has seen heavy gaming use (in particular, Diablo 3, at 1000+ hours - heavy on the reds/oranges) in the year that I have owned it and there is no sign of burn-in currently.

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
Im going to pick up my first OLED TV tomorrow. A C9. Im excited
Great choice! I was really worried about burn-in when I first got mine, but it has been a complete non-issue. It is far and away the nicest TV (and arguably the nicest piece of tech period) that I have ever owned.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
My X900F arrived yesterday, two days earlier than it was set for. I haven't had a chance to set it up though. Maybe once I get home I can get it set up, go through the manual, look at what calibration settings to use (There isn't some super easy way to do this like downloading a file onto the TV, right? lol) , etc.

EDIT: Actually I might just do the bare minimum to swap out TVs and set up all the Smart stuff later.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
How well do new TVs handle 24 fps movies?

I am still using my Panasonic plasma tv that I think I got in 2012 or 2013. I'm not really sure how accurately it displays that frame rate. Do some new TVs do it better?

I stumbled across this push for a 'filmmaker mode' standard recently. Do any TVs have it yet, or will it be a CES thing.

obsoke

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking for a soundbar for my C9 55". The TV sits on a media console. Unfortunately, the TV sits very low and putting a soundbar in front of it on the media console (the only place I could put a soundbar rightnow) would obscure the very bottom of the TV panel. I have no way to mount anything with my current setup.

Is there anything I can do in this situation? I've been looking at 3rd party standing mounts but I'm not sure how reliable or sturdy they are. Has anyone used one before?

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Got my C9 today. I had a Q9FN before this but my god. This is another level so far. Super slick TV

Angst72

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking for a soundbar for my C9 55". The TV sits on a media console. Unfortunately, the TV sits very low and putting a soundbar in front of it on the media console (the only place I could put a soundbar rightnow) would obscure the very bottom of the TV panel. I have no way to mount anything with my current setup.

Is there anything I can do in this situation? I've been looking at 3rd party standing mounts but I'm not sure how reliable or sturdy they are. Has anyone used one before?
Have you considered Sonos playbase? https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/playbase.html

Sonos-Playbase-1.jpg

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Hey everyone, I'm in need of some expertis here because I'm a noob when it comes to stuff like this and my old tv is from like 2009 and nothing like the new ones lol.

Anyway, so a ordered a Samsung Q70R during black friday, I still haven't gotten it delivered but been reading up on it in the meantime. How to calibrate it and so on, and I see that it comes with all these different game enhancing stuff like game mode, VRR etc. Rright now all I got is a standard PS4 and Switch, so playing games in 4k and VRR etc are out of the question, that much I got, but I'm just wondering if it's actually worth using the other stuff? Doesn't it harm the picture quality?

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just bought an i1Display Pro! Had ordered one months ago, but I ended up cancelling.
Gonna mess with Displaycal and my monitor before getting Calman Home and moving up to my OLED for calibration!

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Got my C9 today. I had a Q9FN before this but my god. This is another level so far. Super slick TV

After 1 day i can safely say that this is the most impressive TV i've ever seen. Watched Ad Astra yesterday, it was a joy. Amazing picture quality, contrast, blacks and NO crushed blacks holy shit.

One question, i heard that the TV will run the pixel refresher automatically everytime i turn off the TV after 4+ hours of use so i dont have to do that manually. Is it true?

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
After 1 day i can safely say that this is the most impressive TV i've ever seen. Watched Ad Astra yesterday, it was a joy. Amazing picture quality, contrast, blacks and NO crushed blacks holy shit.

One question, i heard that the TV will run the pixel refresher automatically everytime i turn off the TV after 4+ hours of use so i dont have to do that manually. Is it true?
It's true. You can manually do a refresh if you have bad image persistence that needs cleaned up, never had to do a manual one myself.

Posting this from the other OLED thread as I am sure it will be relevant here.

"So I was playing about with OLED motion (black frame insertion) last night and was quite impressed with how much it improves motion resolution. Brightness takes a big hit but panning in games looked crystal clear and I was a bit disappointed after switching it off and going back to it looking a little muddy when spinning the camera. Miss the nice motion resolution of Plasma and CRT.

I still dont understand how the BFI actually works as well on OLED, I would have thought with the low persistence already on the panels that it would make little difference but was surprised with the clarity."

bishopcruz

Oct 25, 2017
Just got my TCL 65R625 hooked up and one thing I noticed is that the HDMI CEC is not working all that well. It controls the volume from my Sony AVR well enough, but my PS4 isn't switching automatically and the remote doesn't work to move the cursor around on menus on my PS4 pro either. Am I doing something wrong, this worked simply and without thought on my older samsung, so it's kind of odd to not have a basic feature working on my new tv.

Last edited: