• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ninjician-

Oct 29, 2017
I'm looking to buy my parents a 65" TV for Christmas for under $1,000.

What would you guys recommend? I see the recommendations in the OP, but they seem to be a bit outdated as they're for 2018.

I've heard nothing but good things about the HiSense H9F. 65" can be had for $799 USD.

If they want Oled, I'd snag an LG B8 on clearance.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Would I get a big improvement by upgrading my sony 65XD7505 (Sony LED from 2016, still selling on amazon UK for 1500, though I bought it for 1100 - I suspect the pricing is off), and going to OLED like a C9 or Samsung Q9?

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard nothing but good things about the HiSense H9F. 65" can be had for $799 USD.

If they want Oled, I'd snag an LG B8 on clearance.

They aren't picky at all. They care more about upgrading to a large size (they currently have a 50"). I'll check out the HiSense H9F. Thanks!

EDIT: It appears the 65" H9F is sold out at most retailers I've checked (Amazon, Best Buy, and WalMart). What would you suggest as a runner-up?

Last edited:

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another benefit to calibration is you have settings locked in, that you know are accurate, so you can kick back and just get on with enjoying your set, and stop tinkering all the time (if like me). Peace of mind is worth swallowing the cost alone, almost.

That has been the best part about calibrating my stuff. Everyone asks if you see a difference, and you might be able to on certain screens, but it's mainly about looking correct to me!

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
They aren't picky at all. They care more about upgrading to a large size (they currently have a 50"). I'll check out the HiSense H9F. Thanks!

EDIT: It appears the 65" H9F is sold out at most retailers I've checked (Amazon, Best Buy, and WalMart). What would you suggest as a runner-up?

The TCL 6 series would be great for them. Great budget pick for getting nice, real HDR.

I just bought and set up a 65" one from Best Buy for my mom. It looks great and the built in Roku OS menu is super easy to handle.

Was $699 but I think regular price is 799 or 899 for that size.
Make sure it's the 2019 model with QLED.

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
The TCL 6 series would be great for them. Great budget pick for getting nice, real HDR.

I just bought and set up a 65" one from Best Buy for my mom. It looks great and the built in Roku OS menu is super easy to handle.

Was $699 but I think regular price is 799 or 899 for that size.
Make sure it's the 2019 model with QLED.

Much appreciated!

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I should make a separate thread, but I figure someone here would know the answer to this question. My wife and I recently completed a purchase on a new house, and the prior owner had the family room wired for surround sound/AV through the walls. Although I'm no expert in this regard, everything appears to be in order for when I go to hook stuff up, however I'm a little confused about the HDMI situation that is/was going on. One is a ~12 foot 4k cable in the wall that appears to have been set up to run from AV/media closet to TV, however there is also another that is running in the wall, back out of the wall into some kind of extender, with another HDMI cable coming out of that and running back into the wall over to where the TV would be. I'm thinking I should just rip that shit out because it seems pointless and ugly, but can anyone think why this would be setup? I have it pictured below, my best guess is that it was something he put in because there were no long 4K cables back when he did it? The extender is this: https://amazon.com/dp/B007Z881YC/?t...FjAAegQIBRAC&usg=AOvVaw0eCOyRKyHD1tNfxNf8y4E5

Which seems pretty old.

This is what the wall looks like:

IMG-20191128-180506.jpg

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I have a question regarding the upscaling capabilities of the LG (C9) Oleds. A friend of me bought one (C9 55") recently and said that upscaled 1080p content doesn't look good at all and that he's really disappointed.

I have no chance to see full HD content on a C9 (stores all run 4k content) and my friends lives too far away to check on his TV. My question, is full HD content really that bad on the LGs or is he possibly just overreacting or has some weird setting enabled? He said that it looks kinda pixelated.

DrDamn

Oct 27, 2017
The C9 is the gamer favourite

Would you recommend current OLED tech for someone who intends to keep the TV for 8 or 9 years? Currently rocking a Sony KDL46HX803 which has served me well for 9 years - still a great picture. Upgrading for new console tech next year and whilst I understand burn-in concerns should be minimal, what about general degradation over a 8 to 9 year period?

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a question regarding the upscaling capabilities of the LG (C9) Oleds. A friend of me bought one (C9 55") recently and said that upscaled 1080p content doesn't look good at all and that he's really disappointed.

I have no chance to see full HD content on a C9 (stores all run 4k content) and my friends lives too far away to check on his TV. My question, is full HD content really that bad on the LGs or is he possibly just overreacting or has some weird setting enabled? He said that it looks kinda pixelated.

Unless he is watching the TV like the girl from Poltergeist there is something wrong. 1080p material, especially blu-ray, should look stunning.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
Anyone check AV/AVSf to see what LG C8 05.10.40 does? Mine just auto-updated even though the option is not checked.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
It only adds HVEC Logo. Yep, it's an update simply to add a logo.

So it's safe to update? I haven't updated mine since 5.10.02 ish and that update broke voice control, which was fixed almost right away but I didn't bother with the update. The one problem I'm having right now is that the amazon app always crashes, "oops something went wrong" it happens way too often. I don't like using my ATV4K with amazon hdr10 shows because there's lip sync issues which aren't present when using the c8's amazon app.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
So it's safe to update? I haven't updated mine since 5.10.02 ish and that update broke voice control, which was fixed almost right away but I didn't bother with the update. The one problem I'm having right now is that the amazon app always crashes, "oops something went wrong" it happens way too often. I don't like using my ATV4K with amazon hdr10 shows because there's lip sync issues which aren't present when using the c8's amazon app.

I personally haven't update because what's the point for a damn logo? but I didn't see anyone reporting any issues. The changelog is just that, the logo, people on avsforum didn't say anything about introducing any unrelated issues, but what those people say it's the most I can say lol

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Feel like an idiot, duh. Having the tv of course doesn't change the limitation yet. Thanks, excitement over the oled improvement still getting the better of me lol

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
For people that have Netflix (probably old but it's been just a couple week since I have it), is it normal that everything I watch, no matter if it's 4K DV with all the awesome shit, looks this grainy? Amazon Video looks crisp as fuck but Netflix always have this film grain that doesn't go away with my C8. I wonder if it's just an issue from the source.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
For people that have Netflix (probably old but it's been just a couple week since I have it), is it normal that everything I watch, no matter if it's 4K DV with all the awesome shit, looks this grainy? Amazon Video looks crisp as fuck but Netflix always have this film grain that doesn't go away with my C8. I wonder if it's just an issue from the source.

It really just depends on the show. A ton of films/shows still use film grain so that's what you're seeing. There isn't a problem with your c8. Don't be like my friend who returned two 4k blu-rays of wonder woman because he didn't know a thing about film grain 😂

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It really just depends on the show. A ton of films/shows still use film grain so that's what you're seeing. There isn't a problem with your c8. Don't be like my friend who returned two 4k blu-rays of wonder woman because he didn't know a thing about film grain 😂

Yeah it's just so weird how is this noticeable in anything I saw coming from Netflix compared to Prime, Blu rays,etc... so I thought it may be common for Netflix.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
What do you all do with the boxes? my 65 won't fit through the loft hatch but I'll inevitably selnitnin a few years so feel like I should keep it. I could put all the bits up separately and fold the box up a bit?

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So after having solved the hdcp issue between the C9 and the PS4 Pro (with a splitter, nothing else would work), I'm still having the following issues with the TV that are driving me nuts:

1. When I have the PC turned off and play PS4, for example, there is a constant popup message every ten seconds or so saying that the PC input wants to connect despite it being turned off. The only way right now to avoid this us to leave the PC turned on or disconnect it altogether. Both options are shit. Now I read on an official LG help page that this (or a similar sounding) problem can be solved by switching "listen mode" off in the screen share settings. Only problem: my screen share settings only show a "delete pairing history" option, nothing else. I also have all simplink, autodetect etc.-options turned off already.

2. Switching on devices or simply the light in the same room will cause the TV to show a black picture for a second.

Can any of you guys help me with these? This is such a good TV in theory but these technical problems have really soured my initial experience. :(

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
I really have to keep in mind that, besides OLED and some higher end LCDs and maybe some Samsung's, I need to stop getting so hung up on whether my 900F is "good enough" because I realize it's better than like 80% of people's tvs and that I read forums that include crazy people like me that still buys 4K Blu-ray's and expensive tvs.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I really have to keep in mind that, besides OLED and some higher end LCDs and maybe some Samsung's, I need to stop getting so hung up on whether my 900F is "good enough" because I realize it's better than like 80% of people's tvs and that I read forums that include crazy people like me that still buys 4K Blu-ray's and expensive tvs.

You're right and better than me if you can pull it off

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Returning my i1Display Pro

Don't know why anyone would keep it when you can just calibrate your screen and get a full refund :P

Oct 28, 2017
And pretty much any cinema too.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
It happened. :) I won't have time to play around with it until this weekend, but I finally have a 4K TV. Goodbye 2012 Plasma!

1C1zYfs.png

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
Any recommendations for a solid low input lag gaming TV at 32" but also ok for movies and stuff? Rtings lists only the samsung q50 and q60 for that size but wondering if anyone has used something better