• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I sure hope so. I've never even seen one in person, but I'm sure it'll live up to expectations!

I have a 65" C8 and it's the best TV I have ever owned by a mile. I came from a mid-upper Panasonic Plasma and the only downgrade has been motion but I tweaked a bit and now I'm used to it. Wish I went 77" instead.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I have a 65" C8 and it's the best TV I have ever owned by a mile. I came from a mid-upper Panasonic Plasma and the only downgrade has been motion but I tweaked a bit and now I'm used to it. Wish I went 77" instead.
My only concern is the motion. :| I've heard too many things about it, but I'm hoping I'll just get used to it. I ended up getting the 77" below $4000 with no tax and free shipping all from an authorized dealer. No way I was turning that down.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
My only concern is the motion. :| I've heard too many things about it, but I'm hoping I'll just get used to it. I ended up getting the 77" below $4000 with no tax and free shipping all from an authorized dealer. No way I was turning that down.

You'll get used to it.. and yeah that's an incredible price

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Returning my i1Display Pro

Don't know why anyone would keep it when you can just calibrate your screen and get a full refund :P

Your display will shift over time, especially after a longer compensation cycle (if it is an OLED) so it will eventually lose accuracy. Otherwise, you are right, and I'd lose no sleep over Amazon losing a sale frankly.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
my 55C9 arrived and holy smokes, that was an intense installation procedure mounting it on the wall. WHERE the fuck do you touch this comfortably lol

Anyway, I first though my Xbox One X does not work with it, but PSA, don't connect it to the HDMI in of the Xbox. Yes, I'm an idiot.
Quickly bootet AC Odyssey and what a difference that is. It pops so hard, the sun shines, colors and blacks. I'm in aww.

So thanks all for the help, I'm happy now that I didn't go with the Samsung. It's very bright it feels brighter than my old Samsung LED.

One question though, tell me what and where I should watch on this beast now? I can use the Xbox or the TV itself for streaming. I will not buy an Apple TV or anything like that anytime soon. Any recommendations? Thanks!

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
my 55C9 arrived and holy smokes, that was an intense installation procedure mounting it on the wall. WHERE the fuck do you touch this comfortably lol

Anyway, I first though my Xbox One X does not work with it, but PSA, don't connect it to the HDMI in of the Xbox. Yes, I'm an idiot.
Quickly bootet AC Odyssey and what a difference that is. It pops so hard, the sun shines, colors and blacks. I'm in aww.

So thanks all for the help, I'm happy now that I didn't go with the Samsung. It's very bright it feels brighter than my old Samsung LED.

One question though, tell me what and where I should watch on this beast now? I can use the Xbox or the TV itself for streaming. I will not buy an Apple TV or anything like that anytime soon. Any recommendations? Thanks!
You could try Netflix or watch YouTube videos. Or try Amazon Prime Video.

I have the same TV. Very happy with it.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Hey EvilBoris I've got some questions for you, if you wouldn't mind answering.

So I made the observation in Windows 10 that if I leave color settings to default when HDR mode is enabled that the "gamma" curve looks a lot more similar to the TV in SDR and no longer looks "washed out", but I think technically this is incorrect because when looking at R masciola's HDR patterns it's clipping blacks up to about 6-7%

The LG B8 is defaulted to "low black" level in HDR and it seems like the gamma is more "perceptually correct" when comparing it to the SDR despite there being black clipping and I know its "technically wrong" because Windows seems to be outputting RGB full range. Is this some wonky stuff where Windows RGB is being artificially put in a "limited" video range but in a full video range container and why overall picture saturation and black levels appear "more correct" (at the very least similar to SDR 2.2 gamma). Or is EOTF tracking intentionally flat looking when video levels are correctly matched (to my eyes looks similar to SDR gamma 1.9 setting on LG B8)

I found that Jedi Fallen Order and Resident Evil 2 looked perceptually much more similar to their SDR saturation and black levels with the video range mismatch in Windows 10 HDR than when their video ranges are matched which appear washed out and very elevated shadow detail. Or are game implementations of HDR just really wonky still when it comes to their midtones?

Last edited:

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
OMG I fucking love the C9. The image is crazy good, HDR is a game changer. I'll spend a lot of time in front of this thing watching Netflix.

Oct 29, 2017
Idk if anyone has an advice here. Got a Vizio M series from a year or two back. When I plug the power cable in the remote indicator flashes once briefly and then nothing. Replaced the whole power supply board already. Fuck

Oct 27, 2017
For any recent inductees into the OLED owners club, holy shit, the new season of the Expanse that just dropped on Amazon is probably the best demo I've found yet. It's outstanding.

Also my C9 65" is the best entertainment purchase I've ever made, hands-down

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
I've been having some weird issues with my 2018 TCL 617. I'm getting a lot of green smearing and some green shapes moving around my screen and a lot of green low tone smearing. Anyone else who has this set see these things? Need to know if I got a bad set or if I'm just gonna have to get used to this.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
Got the 65" Quantum X delivered, this TV is almost perfect when it comes to LED displays.

I'm starting to think maybe my 65" Sony 900F was defective or something, because all the reviews and people speak so highly of it but I was let down hard by it (so hard that I sold it and jumped on that sweet Costco BF deal on the Quantum X).

This QX handles blooming so damn better than the 900f. HDR pops way more on this set (and it was already pretty nice on the Sony), the high nits brightness is fantastic. I'm using "Calibrated Dark" setting, and the local dimming control is really great at controlling blooming, combined with the super high nit peak brightness it looks like a tier above the Sony. I hated the blooming in HDR with the 900f, large parts of the screen would get affected cause the Sony has few dimming zones. The Vizio has the best local dimming I've seen out of any TV i've owned. No complaints there from me.

It also handles reflections better (but the Sony wasn't bad either). I might have lucked out with panel lottery cause the uniformity is great on my set, I have to do more testing but it looks more uniform than the Sony which was also pretty good (Sony has slightly dark corners, the Vizio doesnt. Or it's so slight you can't really tell).

Motion looks better on this set too! The 900f set I had, had noticeable VA panel blur in fast motion that I haven't noticed on this Vizio. Haven't had a chance to check out a basketball game on it yet though, where I noticed it the most (in panning shots of the crowds). Motion is fantastic so far...

And then we come to the bad stuff, the color banding. Oof. I was so happy with this set, was an instant keeper and an upgrade in almost every way. And then comes a scene where you notice banding, and it's kinda bad. 99.9% of content is displayed perfectly, that other 1% is where there's like dark gradients of mostly grey or brownish and there's a lot of distracting banding. Not all content does it, but some scenes where the background has mostly same color dark gradients the banding will stick out. In hours of watching content on the tv, i'd say I only noticed like 5-10 seconds of combined scenes where the banding stood out.

Whyyy, it was almost perfect (well not perfect since every TV has flaws, but almost good enough where it's flaw wouldn't bother me) :(

Last edited:

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got my 65" C9 in and mounted today, and sent my dad home with my old 50" Kuro Plasma to give to my uncle. The picture is such an amazing upgrade, but I can already tell I'm going to have to play around with and get used to OLED motion. It is definitely different from how my plasma looked.

Can't wait to dig into it more!

Plum

May 31, 2018
I wish that 'Warm2' on my C9 didn't make everything look so yellow. I feel that it works quite well in-game but when I do anything else, particularly stuff with menus and such, it looks completely wrong. Maybe my eyes just haven't gotten used to it yet, I don't know, but sometimes it definitely feels like the suggestions from every single TV guide I've looked at are a practical joke or something lol

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I wish that 'Warm2' on my C9 didn't make everything look so yellow. I feel that it works quite well in-game but when I do anything else, particularly stuff with menus and such, it looks completely wrong. Maybe my eyes just haven't gotten used to it yet, I don't know, but sometimes it definitely feels like the suggestions from every single TV guide I've looked at are a practical joke or something lol

Did you try Technicolor Expert? it's set at Warm1 but its Warm is a little different than ISF and it's between 1 and 2. AFAIK Technicolor is the most accurate setting for the LG OLEDs.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Saving up for an LG C9 65 inch OLED (2019 model) and was wondering if there was any reason to wait for the 2020 model? Wanted to get a really nice OLED tv in anticipation of the next gen consoles. Is the LG C9 class still the "go to" option for nice OLED tvs for gaming/4K movies?

Ninjician-

Oct 29, 2017
Did you try Technicolor Expert? it's set at Warm1 but its Warm is a little different than ISF and it's between 1 and 2. AFAIK Technicolor is the most accurate setting for the LG OLEDs.

Not even close. Use ISF modes for SDR and Cinema for HDR. Technicolor Expert is not close to accurate for consumer content. It should have been hidden as a dev mode.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Saving up for an LG C9 65 inch OLED (2019 model) and was wondering if there was any reason to wait for the 2020 model? Wanted to get a really nice OLED tv in anticipation of the next gen consoles. Is the LG C9 class still the "go to" option for nice OLED tvs for gaming/4K movies?

For now yes. The only thing we know about C10 is that it will have the better BFI that was cut at the last moment from C9s. Probably a little bit more of brightness... and don't expect much else.

Until top emissions OLEDs arrives I don't think we will have huge improvements. The C9 itself is really similar to the C8 excluding HDMI 2.1. for example.

Not even close. Use ISF modes for SDR and Cinema for HDR. Technicolor Expert is not close to accurate for consumer content. It should have been hidden as a dev mode.

Well this is what it keeps being said on avsforums, I don't know as much to say.

Mind you Technicolor settings were changed in an updated compared to release, including a new custom whitepoint, this is when people started to switch from ISF to Technicolor, atleast there.

Last edited:

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
For now yes. The only thing we know about C10 is that it will have the better BFI that was cut at the last moment from C9s. Probably a little bit more of brightness... and don't expect much else.

Until top emissions OLEDs arrives I don't think we will have huge improvements. The C9 itself is really similar to the C8 excluding HDMI 2.1. for example.

Well this is what it keeps being said on avsforums, I don't know as much to say.

Alright thanks. Unless the C10 is a significant difference, I'll likely just grab the C9 which will likely drop in price going into the new year. Seems like a super gorgeous tv and next gen has me really hyped. Hellblade will look glorious on that thing lol.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
The C10 is likely to be an iterative update, but we should find out soon at CES 2020 happening in the next couple weeks. But even as an iterative update it might sneak in some nice upgrades. While info on the c10 should be happening soon, it'll take some time for the c10 to be released (march/april 2020), and then more time after that to have it drop in price similar to what the c9 is at right now. So if you want to hold until around august 2020 it's unlikely to get a c10 around the same price as a c9, though the c9 this year dropped price way more quickly than i expected.

Ninjician-

Oct 29, 2017

Mind you Technicolor settings were changed in an updated compared to release, including a new custom whitepoint, this is when people started to switch from ISF to Technicolor, atleast there.

Custom white point is far too green/cyan. Not accurate at all. Stick to Cinema.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
yep. To be fair I don't even know if it would be of much use lol

I think it would be beneficial, I mean as it stands 120hz with no BFI, gives the same motion resolution benefits as 60hz with BFI, but with no drawbacks, so 120hz BFI should look even better and with minimal flicker.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
The C10 is likely to be an iterative update, but we should find out soon at CES 2020 happening in the next couple weeks. But even as an iterative update it might sneak in some nice upgrades. While info on the c10 should be happening soon, it'll take some time for the c10 to be released (march/april 2020), and then more time after that to have it drop in price similar to what the c9 is at right now. So if you want to hold until around august 2020 it's unlikely to get a c10 around the same price as a c9, though the c9 this year dropped price way more quickly than i expected.

Yeah I'll wait and see what CES brings but unless there is something significant that it has over the C9 I probably could just settle for the C9 at a much lower cost. I mean it sounds like it's a killer tv as is. Guess I just want to be ready to experience everything that the next gen consoles will be capable of. I "think" the C9 will be able to accomplish that. I have time though, I need to budget for a new tv anyways.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Got the 65" Quantum X delivered, this TV is almost perfect when it comes to LED displays.

I'm starting to think maybe my 65" Sony 900F was defective or something, because all the reviews and people speak so highly of it but I was let down hard by it (so hard that I sold it and jumped on that sweet Costco BF deal on the Quantum X).

This QX handles blooming so damn better than the 900f. HDR pops way more on this set (and it was already pretty nice on the Sony), the high nits brightness is fantastic. I'm using "Calibrated Dark" setting, and the local dimming control is really great at controlling blooming, combined with the super high nit peak brightness it looks like a tier above the Sony. I hated the blooming in HDR with the 900f, large parts of the screen would get affected cause the Sony has few dimming zones. The Vizio has the best local dimming I've seen out of any TV i've owned. No complaints there from me.

It also handles reflections better (but the Sony wasn't bad either). I might have lucked out with panel lottery cause the uniformity is great on my set, I have to do more testing but it looks more uniform than the Sony which was also pretty good (Sony has slightly dark corners, the Vizio doesnt. Or it's so slight you can't really tell).

Motion looks better on this set too! The 900f set I had, had noticeable VA panel blur in fast motion that I haven't noticed on this Vizio. Haven't had a chance to check out a basketball game on it yet though, where I noticed it the most (in panning shots of the crowds). Motion is fantastic so far...

And then we come to the bad stuff, the color banding. Oof. I was so happy with this set, was an instant keeper and an upgrade in almost every way. And then comes a scene where you notice banding, and it's kinda bad. 99.9% of content is displayed perfectly, that other 1% is where there's like dark gradients of mostly grey or brownish and there's a lot of distracting banding. Not all content does it, but some scenes where the background has mostly same color dark gradients the banding will stick out. In hours of watching content on the tv, i'd say I only noticed like 5-10 seconds of combined scenes where the banding stood out.

Whyyy, it was almost perfect (well not perfect since every TV has flaws, but almost good enough where it's flaw wouldn't bother me) :(
Yup after reading the last page my 900F feels inadequate again. God damnit.

I still really like my tv but I need to stop reading posts like this. I get frustrated thinking I picked a bad tv or something. It looks great to me and I thought Sony was a safe choice over Vizio of all things. Sigh.

Don't feel bad for getting what you want btw I'm just freaking out in my head over here.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
Yup after reading the last page my 900F feels inadequate again. God damnit.

I still really like my tv but I need to stop reading posts like this. I get frustrated thinking I picked a bad tv or something. It looks great to me and I thought Sony was a safe choice over Vizio of all things. Sigh.

Don't feel bad for getting what you want btw I'm just freaking out in my head over here.

It could just be that I got a bad 900F set, panel lottery is a real thing for like every model.

That, and some people are more sensitive to certain flaws. What bothers me may not bother you as much and vice versa.

If it makes you feel any better, as much as I like this PQ X, the banding I saw last night put thoughts of returning it in my head. So you're not the only one freaking out lol.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
It could just be that I got a bad 900F set, panel lottery is a real thing for like every model.

That, and some people are more sensitive to certain flaws. What bothers me may not bother you as much and vice versa.

If it makes you feel any better, as much as I like this PQ X, the banding I saw last night put thoughts of returning it in my head. So you're not the only one freaking out lol.
It's almost like I need to stop reading forums everyday and just enjoy what I have.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

That Vizio brightness hype is real, but so is the banding and higher chance of running into a QC issue like gnarlyxcharlie. Vizio has come a long way with their flagship sets, but Vizio still has yet to completely shake off being Vizio.

I think the cost of the banding is worth it because I just love those brightness levels so fucking much, but if I had a perfectly (or close to perfectly) dark room, I'd probably go LG OLED instead. The peak brightness and overall picture in 95% of places just gets so fucking good that it's easy to say "fuck it" to the flaws and risks and just enjoy it.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got my Samsung Q70 65 inch yesterday and I've been sleeping on the couch watching Blade Runner 2049, El Camino, Mr Robot and a bunch of 4k/ youtube vids just taking in the beauty.

Oh my. OH MY. These vids in particular, super saturated they may be, look AMAZING. And my tv is a full array LED, not OLED, but the blacks look pitch black to me. Can OLED be better than this? Really? Because wow!

Only thing I've been disappointed with is how my PS4 looks. The main menu screen and games like Uncharted 4 look like they have vaseline smeared all over the screen. Mortal Kombat 11 looks great though.

Might be time to invest in a PS4 Pro?

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017

ppn7

May 4, 2019
Got my Samsung Q70 65 inch yesterday and I've been sleeping on the couch watching Blade Runner 2049, El Camino, Mr Robot and a bunch of 4k/ youtube vids just taking in the beauty.

Oh my. OH MY. These vids in particular, super saturated they may be, look AMAZING. And my tv is a full array LED, not OLED, but the blacks look pitch black to me. Can OLED be better than this? Really? Because wow!

Only thing I've been disappointed with is how my PS4 looks. The main menu screen and games like Uncharted 4 look like they have vaseline smeared all over the screen. Mortal Kombat 11 looks great though.

Might be time to invest in a PS4 Pro?

Hi, did you try subtitle content ? Because some people complain about bloomy effect with local dimming when white subtitle are displayed with black screen bars.

Otherwise, guys, do you really think 1500 or more nits is really needed for HDR content when you use your TV on dark room ? I mean, you will burn your eyes with that much nits no ? So Oled can be enough i suppose ?

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading reports, that the new firmware for the Sony TVs changes the picture to a degree that is throwing calibrations out of whack. At least on the AF9. Not a problem here as I can recalibrate, but worth considering for those who have paid someone else to do it. Not a good move from Sony.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Reading reports, that the new firmware for the Sony TVs changes the picture to a degree that is throwing calibrations out of whack. At least on the AF9. Not a problem here as I can recalibrate, but worth considering for those who have paid someone else to do it. Not a good move from Sony.

Sony trying to compete with LG in the botched firmware department? Ya hate to see it.