• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Interestingly enough without mentioning anything to my wife I asked her if she had any issues with our new TV.

First thing she said to me is that it's too bright and she doesn't like the way it looks. Hmmm

And these are using the straight settings from Rtings ao I dont think it's just me

Rtings settings describe the dark room setting gives out a correct 100nit output for SDR. That can't be too bright

Does the PQ not have separate settings for SDR/HDR. The Rtings settings only talk about SDr

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rtings settings describe the dark room setting gives out a correct 100nit output for SDR. That can't be too bright

Does the PQ not have separate settings for SDR/HDR. The Rtings settings only talk about SDr

SDR content isnt causing any issues. It's just when watching HDR

Idk I look at screens in general all day long and night honestly so maybe I just have generalized eye strain and the HDR TV is just accentuating what's already there?

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
SDR content isnt causing any issues. It's just when watching HDR

Idk I look at screens in general all day long and night honestly so maybe I just have generalized eye strain and the HDR TV is just accentuating what's already there?
for first 2 weeks I got HDR tv, I was getting eye strain too, was really weird since I am used to heavy gaming n stuff. Then I fiddled with setting , picked a more warm color preset , got biased lighting and I barely have any eye strain. I just think I got used to it

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Interestingly enough without mentioning anything to my wife I asked her if she had any issues with our new TV.

First thing she said to me is that it's too bright and she doesn't like the way it looks. Hmmm

And these are using the straight settings from Rtings ao I dont think it's just me

tumblr_nw4pgfIXe11rvzbdgo1_500.gif

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I supposed to turn down the TVs contrast when watching HDR? I have ot at the standard setting of 50 right now

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait a second are the settings used in the Rting reviews strictly supposed to be for SDR content and not HDR?

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Am I supposed to turn down the TVs contrast when watching HDR? I have ot at the standard setting of 50 right now

I'm googling away to see if you need to set it up differently for HDR.
Out of interest, is the gamma option available to you when you are running something in HDR?

Wait a second are the settings used in the Rting reviews strictly supposed to be for SDR content and not HDR?

Yes, unless the TV users identical settings for HDR and SDR, which is unusual.

Usuall you have to be running the content in order to access the calibration settings for that input type.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Cant believe I'm about to type this but

I may be returning the PQ to Best Buy tomorrow and waiting till OLEDs come down in price and picking up one instead.....

Honestly yes. Idk if it's just a matter if me having sensitive eyes but I've played around with the settings and thing still just wears my eyes out. And I really dont want to have to mess with a bunch of bias lighting

OLED fam, we got another one. Maybe Sony was right for not targeting 4,000 nits.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Benji I put AVSForum's recommended Calibration in the spoiler tags...

VIZIO P-Series Quantum Advanced Calibration Tips

Overall:
• Calibrated Dark: Use this picture mode for the most accurate reproduction of studio content when viewed in a dark room. Xtreme Black Engine should default to Medium for HDR and Low for SDR; Gamma is set to 2.2.
• Calibrated: Use this picture mode for an accurate but bright reproduction of studio content when viewed in a typically lit room. Xtreme Black Engine should be set to Medium for HDR and SDR; Gamma is set to 2.1.
• Game: Use this setting for the best gaming response. Game Low Latency and Clear Action are enabled. For consoles, change the Color Temp setting to Normal (close to D6500K).
o Use Input 5 for non-HDR, 1080p signals—like those from a PC--with up to 120Hz refresh. Set the Color Temp to "Computer", which is roughly 9300K.

1. Select the Appropriate Input:
a. HDMI inputs 1-4 accommodate HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2 (600MHz pixel clock rate).
i. 2160p/60p, 4:4:4, 8-bit
ii. 2160p/60p, 4:2:2, 12-bit
iii. 2160p/60p, 4:2:0, 12-bit

b. HDMI 5 also accepts HDMI v1.4/HDCP2.2 signals (370MHz pixel clock rate). This will accept the following:
i. 2160p/60p, 4:2:2, 8-bit
ii. 2160p/60p, 4:2:0, 10-bit
iii. 1080p/120p, 4:4:4, 10-bit
iv. 1080p/120p, 4:2:2, 12-bit

c. Input 5 will likely offer the lowest lag time for gaming, but also has no scaling or HDR function and should only be used with progressive or UHD signals.

d. Input 1 offers HDMI ARC.

2. Enable HDMI 2.0 signals for the HDR input, when needed (ie for newer UHD BD players and 4K/60 signals):
a. Go to the Menu>Settings>Inputs>Full UHD Color,

b. Enable the Full UHD Color for the input that you are using to support HDMI 2.0.
i. If you change the setting after your devices are connected, you may need to power cycle the source device to restart the HDMI handshake.
ii. When Full UHD Color is enabled, the input may no longer accept the HDMI signal from older HDMI devices (like your STB or BD player).
iii. Some players (Samsung and Oppo) playing most content (any 4K/24 movie) may not need the 2.0 input and may play fine through v1.4 inputs even without the Full UHD Color setting enabled.
iv. "Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk" is 4k/60 and will require the HDMI 2.0 setting/input.
v. Some devices, like the new Xbox and Philips UHD player or 4K-capable streaming sticks require the HDMI 2.0 setting/input, regardless of the content played.

3. Set the Picture Mode:
a. Go to the Menu, select Picture, then choose Picture Mode:
i. Vivid – preset for store showrooms
ii. Standard – For energy-efficient home viewing
iii. Calibrated – Settings are preset to be accurate for brighter room environments (gamma is set to 2.1)
iv. Calibrated Dark – More accurately calibrated settings for a dark room (gamma is set to 2.2).
v. Game Mode – optimizes settings for minimal input lag
vi. Computer Mode – Adjusts settings for PC images
b. Any picture mode can be adjusted to provide an accurate image.
c. The TV will auto-detect if the signal is SDR or HDR and will switch the Picture Mode to the corresponding HDR settings, when needed.
i. With SDR signals: Both Calibrated and Calibrated Dark Picture Modes match closest to the Rec709 color gamut and a D65 white point. "Calibrated" default gamma is closer to 2.1, where "Calibrated Dark" gamma is closer to "2.2". .
ii. With HDR signals: The Calibrated and Calibrated Dark Picture Mode settings match closest to the most accurate, or "Golden Reference" HDR characteristics for the displays, which means it will match as close as possible to the SMPTE 2084 EOTF (or "PQ") curve, and will offer as much of the Rec2020 color space as the display, and content, can accommodate.
d. Changes made to any Picture Mode will create a Custom Picture mode (the picture mode will have an *asterisk next to the name). Go to Picture Mode Edit to save the settings as a custom picture mode with a custom name.

4. Adjust Picture Menu settings: (Brightness, Contrast, Color, Tint, Sharpness) to match your source and environment.
a. Backlight – For HDR signals, the accurate OSD "Backlight" setting is 50. When an HDR signal is recognized by the display, the display luminance (backlight) is maximized, but the on-screen display setting says 50. With HDR signals, changes to the "Backlight" control adjust the middle of the EOTF curve, making the image appear brighter. For SDR, this setting increases the backlight luminance.
b. Setting Sharpness to 0 will disable edge-enhancement.

5. Select "More Picture" for additional settings (the following are not necessarily in order):
a. Color Temperature – Changes the overall color temp. "Normal" is closest to D6500. "Cool" is closer to the panel's native color, which leans blue (closer to 11000-15000k), but will provide the brightest measurement.
b. Black Detail – Changes the gamma curve near black to increase shadow detail. It has no effect in HDR.
c. Xtreme Black Engine (for 2018 models)– Select the low, medium or high setting to enable local dimming and peak brightness. Medium and High settings offer better contrast with increased peak brightness in specular highlights. Lower the setting to eliminate halo or blooming effects. When calibrating, it is best to keep this disabled, or use test patterns with Constant Average Picture Levels. When measuring for Peak Brightness with small windows, we recommend the High setting:
i. Low – Activates local dimming without peak highlight brightness; peak highlights typically dim as the APL decreases so as to minimize blooming
ii. Med – Activates both local dimming and peak highlighting (brighter specular highlights) while still preserving black levels and preventing most halos. Highlights measure brightest with 10%-25%-sized windows on a black background. This is the setting VIZIO recommends for both HDR and SDR content.
iii. High – Activates aggressive local dimming and peak brightness settings for the highest contrast possible. Very small highlights are brightest with2-10%-sized windows on a black background. Note that if you measure even smaller windows, you may not reach the TV's peak brightness value..
d. Clear Action – This setting changes the duty cycle of the backlight to mask the inherent "sample and hold" effect (and visible crystal change) of liquid crystal display panels, thus allowing the user to see and follow motion in the image more clearly.
e. Game Low Latency – Select this setting to reduce image lag for video games. Note: lower lag is available in the HDMI 5 input (on UHD models).
f. Reduce Judder (P-Series and higher) – The setting of this function determines how much MEMC is applied to 24 and 30 fps content. Increasing this setting will reduce the stuttering that is inherent when we view 24 fps content on TV, making the content smooth and more detailed. Set this function to 0 to eliminate the smoothing effect.
i. Eliminate 3-2 – When the "Reduce Judder" function is set to 0, and "Cinema Mode" is on, the film mode detection will match the refresh rate of the panel at a multiple of the 24-fps content so that there is no 3-2 frame conversion, thus giving the viewer a true, film-like appearance.
g. Reduce Motion Blur (where available) – The setting of this function determines how much MEMC is applied to 60 fps content. Increasing the setting reduces the visibility of motion blur.
h. Color Space -- Select YCbCr for normal consumer HDMI sources (16-235). Select RGB for PC sources (0-255).
i. Gamma – Adjust the value to increase or decrease the gamma curve to the desired measured value. The 2.2 setting is typically the most accurate for dark rooms with either SDR or HDR.
j. Cinema Mode/Film Mode – Creates the most film-like image.
i. With interlaced content, Film Mode enables 3-2 detection and compensation.
ii. With 24p content, the display will play back at an even multiple of 24 frames to preserve the film cadence.

6. For professional calibrators using calibration equipment, select "Color Calibration" to fine-tune the picture calibration:
a. Go to the Menu>Picture> Color Calibration>Color Tuner
b. Tips –
i. Best to adjust the SDR signal first, then Dolby Vision and HDR10.
ii. Significant adjustments to the HDR10 CMS signal are not recommended as the display will tone/color map the incoming signal while it's being adjusted. Dolby Vision compensates for this with their Golden Reference target point.
iii. Adjust White Balance first; starting with a baseline "white" should reduce the amount of CMS fine-tuning that is needed.
c. 2-point White Balance calibration – In the Color Tuner menu.
i. Use the Offset and Gain controls to adjust the overall Color Temp at low (~20-30%) and high (~80%) levels.
1. Use the Offset controls sparingly.
2. Try not to raise the Offset more than a couple points, if at all, or it will raise the black level.
ii. Adjust the three RGB levels for Offset and Gain equally to change the Gamma curve.
1. For example, to lower the gamma, raise the red, green and blue Gain values, or vice versa.
2. As above, use the Offset controls as little as possible, and don't raise them.
d. 11-point White Balance calibration – From the top of the "Color Calibration" menu, cycle the menu from "Color Tuner" to "11-point White Balance".
i. Adjust the RGB values separately to fine-tune the Color Temp.
ii. Adjust the RGB values together to fine-tune the Gamma curve (i.e. increase all of them the same amount to decrease the gamma curve at that specific point).
e. Color Tuner – Use the Hue, Saturation and Brightness controls to fine-tune the color gamut. View and compare the results from different saturation levels to achieve the best balance.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They haven't for this set, just turn on the HDMI socket.

There is a big set of calibration guidelines here
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-...owners-thread-no-price-talk.html#post56524754

To be honest, it reads like it's all fairly accurate out of the box, however they do have a few reccomendations for what settings do based upon your preferences

Oh thats interesting they dont have HDR settings for the PQ.

Maybe these new settings will help Benji.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
65C8 is going for $2300 street price. I'd recommend using GreenToe if you're comfortable shopping online.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Does the Vizio pq enter Dolby visions mode, or HDR modes based on the content the way LG OLED's? The B7 has a little notification at the top right telling you it's engaged DV mode, and then you can adjust the settings based in that mode.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I dont know what it is, genuinely a lot of people seem to love the brightness on the PQ but its genuinely bothering me. Which I cant figure out why that would be because plenty of stuff in your daily life you see isnt as bright and doesnt bother me. The PQ genuinely is.

Thanks everyone who tried to help with settings but it's still bothering me. I'm just gonna return it. I've never had this issue watching a friends OLED set

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
You PC guys are in much better place, when it comes to HDR picture quality! Every single game outputs actual metadata of 1000 nits luminance, 1000 nit Maxcll, and a maxfall of 20.

Injection did brighten it, but most of the time to it's detriment, goes to show how annoying it is that consoles output nothing, but react to injection hugely.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
People think it's exaggeration but I'm not kidding when I say even an OLED's brightness can strain my eyes in a completely dark room. I'd love to see what that 10,000 nit Sony prototype looks like but I don't think I'd want it in my home as my main TV.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
Yeah I dont know what it is, genuinely a lot of people seem to love the brightness on the PQ but its genuinely bothering me. Which I cant figure out why that would be because plenty of stuff in your daily life you see isnt as bright and doesnt bother me. The PQ genuinely is.

Thanks everyone who tried to help with settings but it's still bothering me. I'm just gonna return it. I've never had this issue watching a friends OLED set

Rtngs has backlight at 1 for a dark room (testing but I have found using their lower BL settings on several of my TVs has worked well)

I'm guessing your Vizio defaults to backlight 50 when HDR kicks in as it does on my M?

maybe try lowering backlight significantly and or try Gamma 2.4?

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Lol yeah it's been a willd one lol

Hey at least I've provided some entertainment to the thread

I know the feeling of having your heart set on something only to be disappointed (Samsung LED a few years back for me). Most people don't admit it though so at least you have and now you know OLED will make you happy :)

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know the feeling of having your heart set on something only to be disappointed (Samsung LED a few years back for me). Most people don't admit it though so at least you have and now you know OLED will make you happy :)

Yeah I'm not trying to trash on the PQ for those still interested in it. The TV has a great picture, great colors, etc. And really good input lag. I fully see a lot of people loving this TV

It's just too damn bright for me in HDR for my tastes, and those viewing angles really dont work for my seating. Honestly the angles are much worse than I was expecting

Oct 27, 2017
I was wondering how a 2000+ nit tv would work for normal viewing. Heck my b7 is almost too bright in game mode in a light controlled environment in hdr for some games in hdr. It really makes you wonder the companies really targeting 10,000 are they going to be using these tvs on the beach in the middle of the day or something.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got a new job this year and, with it, a salary increase of nearly 50%. I've been using the same Plasma display since 2011. I actually love it and want to repurpose as it as a second TV in a separate room, but the primary motivating factor in keeping me from upgrading is that aside from still functioning perfectly, it has that sweet SWEET 0ms response time.

That said, in upgrading, I have three primary concerns:

- 45-50 inches MAX. Anything bigger will be overkill and present space issues in my current living situation. Not to mention, 50 inches is already more than I need. Nothing under 45, though.
- Lowest possible response time
- As many HDMI ports as possible. I already own an hdmi switch, but I'm not particularly a fan of that setup.

Does such a TV exist and can it be had for a reasonable price? If so, give me some tips to look out for. I will look into buying around Black Friday.

Oct 27, 2017
I got a new job this year and, with it, a salary increase of nearly 50%. I've been using the same Plasma display since 2011. I actually love it and want to repurpose as it as a second TV in a separate room, but the primary motivating factor in keeping me from upgrading is that aside from still functioning perfectly, it has that sweet SWEET 0ms response time.

That said, in upgrading, I have three primary concerns:

- 45-50 inches MAX. Anything bigger will be overkill and present space issues in my current living situation. Not to mention, 50 inches is already more than I need. Nothing under 45, though.
- Lowest possible response time
- As many HDMI ports as possible. I already own an hdmi switch, but I'm not particularly a fan of that setup.

Does such a TV exist and can it be had for a reasonable price? If so, give me some tips to look out for. I will look into buying around Black Friday.

Refresh tvs of current tv components and screen refresh are probably quicker than a 2011 tv. I dont think you are taking into account the processing part done by your tv.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering how a 2000+ nit tv would work for normal viewing. Heck my b7 is almost too bright in game mode in a light controlled environment in hdr for some games in hdr. It really makes you wonder the companies really targeting 10,000 are they going to be using these tvs on the beach in the middle of the day or something.

I can for sure say in my case over 2000 is just too much. Like I said I've never had eye strain like this when watching on a buddies OLED. I also know someone with a Vizio M series and again no strain.

2000 in such a small space just felt insanely overkill to me. I'm sure some people it wont bother at all, and at times its genuinely jaw dropping. The highlights when Dr Strange was fighting Thanos in Infinity War was literally jaw dropping. But overall it just felt way too much to me

I think 1000 nits or so is much more comfortable viewing

Jun 10, 2018
Most manufacturers do not make a display under 55" for their mid-range line. Only Sony and Samsung do with the X900F and the NU8000.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Refresh tvs of current tv components and screen refresh are probably quicker than a 2011 tv. I dont think you are taking into account the processing part done by your tv.

I know very very little about TV tech, but from what I understood, Plasma TVs were literally 0ms or as close as a TV could possibly get, due to the way they refreshed images, which was why many gamers preferred them over LCD (the only downside was image burn-in, but my display rarely suffers any, and it's easily fixable when it does occur). Now that LED is the new standard for pretty much all affordable TVs, response times in many of the bigger brands are equivalent to what they were in the LCDs of yesteryear. I remember reading several reviews last year during the holidays, and each mentioning whether response time was noticeably laggy for use in gaming.

But like I said, I'm pretty uninformed on TV tech, so I could be misinformed or misunderstanding what I've heard.

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
For example was just watching Jessica Jones Season 2 and tons of scenes everything in the room itself including the actors are really darkly lit and hard to see, while the windows are straight up blisteringly bright. It makes it nearly impossible to focus on the actual scene?

Maybe the local dimming algorithm making sure the highlights are as bright as possible while making the rest of the picture dimmer?

Oct 27, 2017
I know very very little about TV tech, but from what I understood, Plasma TVs were literally 0ms or as close as a TV could possibly get, due to the way they refreshed images, which was why many gamers preferred them over LCD (the only downside was image burn-in, but my display rarely suffers any, and it's easily fixable when it does occur). Now that LED is the new standard for pretty much all affordable TVs, response times in many of the bigger brands are equivalent to what they were in the LCDs of yesteryear. I remember reading several reviews last year during the holidays, and each mentioning whether response time was noticeably laggy for use in gaming.

But like I said, I'm pretty uninformed on TV tech, so I could be misinformed or misunderstanding what I've heard.

Panel refresh rate is quick for plasma yes. But the input lag for games could be all over in latency. Could be anywhere between 20-100ms most likely depending on tv.

Jul 26, 2018
When do you think we would have the chance to get a 4k with true HDR in the range of $ 400? Something like a P605 or P607? Is it possible to have a good deal before black friday or am I set to wait until November?

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dolby must be wrong then.
With their science and trials of people saying more natural light output looked better....

I'm sure I could be in the minority. Judging by what I'm seeing online with people loving the brightness of the PQ, I wouldn't be surprise at all if a lot of people will end up preferring something with 2000 or more nits

But I do think after what I experienced it may end up being a preference thing where some people dont like going that bright. I'm not so sure that 2000 nits is going to be ideal for all consumers, and I genuinely dont get how someone could feel comfortable sitting and watching a 4000 nit display for long periods of time.

For example the first 30 minutes of Infinity War all I could think was how gorgeous the HDR looked. But by the end of it my eyes were legit worn out. I think those really high nit sets test extremely well but I wonder if a decent amount of people might get uncomfortable viewing them for extended periods

Oct 27, 2017
When do you think we would have the chance to get a 4k with true HDR in the range of $ 400? Something like a P605 or P607? Is it possible to have a good deal before black friday or am I set to wait until November?

The p6 were selling for $500 from best buy two months ago. As quick as Tv prices fall. The probem is that TCL is the floor at the backlit tvs right now. So it is dependent on other tv manufactures entering the budget market with multizone tvs.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
My roommate says the OLED is too bright, especially at night with HDR stuff.

Dolby must be wrong , with their facts and science
Huh? I think it goes right along with what I'm saying.

2000 to 4000 nits focused in a spot (TV) in a dark room is much stronger to the eye than the 8000 nit LED billboard that is flooded by all kinds of light pollution.