• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean yeah I dont think I'm the only one who is going to think things like this

You have people in this very thread saying that OLED at times feels more than bright enough or has caused eye strain to them in HDR

The PQ literally get more than 2x as bright as that in both real scene brightness as well as peak brightness. That's a massive jump

If your someone who has felt any eye strain at all from an OLED I would not recommend getting a 2000 nit or higher TV at all

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I mean yeah I dont think I'm the only one who is going to think things like this

You have people in this very thread saying that OLED at times feels more than bright enough or has caused eye strain to them in HDR

The PQ literally get more than 2x as bright as that in both real scene brightness as well as peak brightness. That's a massive jump

If your someone who has felt any eye strain at all from an OLED I would not recommend getting a 2000 nit or higher TV at all

My roommate was actually mad about my OLED purchase. She could not get over the brightness and thought it looked silly.
I had to settle down SDR OLED light to something much more acceptable for both of us, but yeah, very bright HDR stuff still bothers her. (and me to a point honestly)

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I need a break from the eye fatigue posts. Someone post a deal on iTunes movies for me or some shit

Nov 6, 2017
I'm probably going to buy a new TV in the next 12 months, my living room has a lot of natural night that I can't block out. I mainly watch broadcast TV/movies and the occasional bit of gaming. Would I be more suited towards a QLED given my light constraints? (Also worried about oled degration and burn in)

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably going to buy a new TV in the next 12 months, my living room has a lot of natural night that I can't block out. I mainly watch broadcast TV/movies and the occasional bit of gaming. Would I be more suited towards a QLED given my light constraints? (Also worried about oled degration and burn in)

How much you trying to spend? What size? What are you coming from?

Oct 27, 2017

If you dont have a light controlled room then yeah I wound not get an oled in my opinion.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I watch in the daytime with lots of outdoor light (blinds open) and the OLED looks fine.
The only way to really know is test them in your house honestly.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How large is your current tv or better yet what is the make and model and budget are the first two questions.

Budget under 1.5k, but I'll go up if I need to depending on what my tradeoff is. Make and model I don't have any specific preferences. My current tv is 47" and just PERFECT. I don't mind going bigger, but I have limited space as is.

I do plan on moving early next year, but that's A. not a for sure thing, and B. I have no way of knowing what my space will be when I do move, so going too much bigger is pretty scary.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
I started watching spare change on YT. Anyone follow this guy or his stuff? Absolutely what I'm looking for as far as 4K reviews of movies. Just the facts and all technical with zero discussion of the movie itself.

Digging his stuff so far.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I started watching spare change on YT. Anyone follow this guy or his stuff? Absolutely what I'm looking for as far as 4K reviews of movies. Just the facts and all technical with zero discussion of the movie itself.

Thank you thank you thank you. I just watched the DP2 review and it was amazing. Not only because of the lack of movie commentary and snark but simply because it's short and I don't have to sit through a review that's 1/8th the length of the movie itself.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got a new job this year and, with it, a salary increase of nearly 50%. I've been using the same Plasma display since 2011. I actually love it and want to repurpose as it as a second TV in a separate room, but the primary motivating factor in keeping me from upgrading is that aside from still functioning perfectly, it has that sweet SWEET 0ms response time.

That said, in upgrading, I have three primary concerns:

- 45-50 inches MAX. Anything bigger will be overkill and present space issues in my current living situation. Not to mention, 50 inches is already more than I need. Nothing under 45, though.
- Lowest possible response time
- As many HDMI ports as possible. I already own an hdmi switch, but I'm not particularly a fan of that setup.

Does such a TV exist and can it be had for a reasonable price? If so, give me some tips to look out for. I will look into buying around Black Friday.

Sub-55" market for TVs today is lower-end stuff. If you can stomach a 55" the LG B8 can be had for a good price. If you're going from a 2011 Panasonic plasma I would have a hard time recommending anything under that, or just stick with your current plasma. Remember that the OLEDs have much less bezel so while the screens are larger the entire dimensions of the TV are about the same as a 50" plasma.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017

Yup I watch him, he gets to the point quickly with no filler.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
Hello peoples! I Have a question which I hope someone can help me with?

I am in the market to buy 2 new 4k tvs, but we use headphones exclusively due to my mom's tinnitus. I plan to get her a 4k TCL tv since it have headphone jack and she is big on her Roku, but I'm not really instead im looking for non smart roku tv with web browsing and such. Since other brands have no headphone jack how can configure one to said tv?

Grim

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK.
Getting frustrating looking for a new TV. I feel like all the big brands are effectively making 32" obsolete, haven't even seen a 32" in OLED.

My set up only allows for 32" and any bigger is too much for the room tbh -_-

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Getting frustrating looking for a new TV. I feel like all the big brands are effectively making 32" obsolete, haven't even seen a 32" in OLED.

My set up only allows for 32" and any bigger is too much for the room tbh -_-

If cost isn't an object and you *must* have a 32" display, you could get a 32" 4K PC monitor with HDMI inputs. They haven't made a TV under 45" that's worth much of a damn since 2013.

CrumbSnatcher

Jan 12, 2018
It's not just the PQ being too bright for me liking either

The viewing angles are really bad. And while I sit straight on to it I have a large sectional sofa and when I have company a lot of people sit in my room at an angle to the set. It's pretty crazy how quick the image quality drops at even at a marginal angle

But the biggest thing is the brightness. I dont like the way it looks at all. I'm sure that there are people that will love it, and I thought it looked great in Infinity War but almost all other content I watch the lighting for highlights is so unbelievably bright it makes the rest of the picture just look off to me

Even Dolby Vision content, because I expected HDR10 to have highlights to be to bright. DV should properly tone map to match the content. Atleast watch the DV stream let us know, if the highlights appear as bright.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
RedlineRonin I'm back to team disc for blockbuster movies. Was able to get infinity War 4k disc for 20 bucks and sold my digital code for 12. Audio quality for 5.1 still a pretty big step up from streaming. Enough for me to stay disc for big movies.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Just experienced HDR anime for the very first time with Flavors of Youth on Netflix, in fact it's the first animated HDR I've watched. It looks great, maybe a bit too vibrant, but I probably just need to get use to it. That said, the overall boost in image quality is outstanding. It's so nice to see anime without color banding, which I always found to be really prevalent in the genre.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I need a break from the eye fatigue posts. Someone post a deal on iTunes movies for me or some shit

From burn-in to burn-ing eyes. It sounds to me that LCD sets with nit levels that high, are better suited to one-off event movies, rather than for all-night TV watching. For example, I blow the roof off with my sound system, when watching a film, but I don't keep the amp at 11 when watching Eastenders. As someone with an ageing B6, I still have my OLED light in the 40s and it remains punchy as hell. People tend to get obsessed with the numbers though when it comes to TVs.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017

Yup, I agree, I really like his disc reviews for that.

I also like how recently he's included the occasional comparisons to the streaming copy, like for Infinity War, since the disc was HDR10 and the digital got DV.

Just experienced HDR anime for the very first time with Flavors of Youth on Netflix, in fact it's the first animated HDR I've watched. It looks great, maybe a bit too vibrant, but I probably just need to get use to it. That said, the overall boost in image quality is outstanding. It's so nice to see anime without color banding, which I always found to be really prevalent in the genre.
Nice! Been interested in checking that out due to the visuals, didn't realize it got that too, so that sounds great.

Big Gundam fan so I imported both of the Gundam Thunderbolt discs as my first HDR anime experience, gorgeous stuff.
The whole thing looks great and those space and night scenes with the lit mechs, beam weapons, and/or bright explosions etc., wow, gorgeous contrast, colors, and pop to the picture.

I wish the Japanese Mary and the Witch's Flower 4K blu-ray included the dub so that it would have everything, but I'll probably eventually get it since I really liked it on the US blu-ray, so I'd like to see that one in HDR eventually.

Sucks neither of those recent Ghost in the Shell and Innocence 4K blu-rays had any English since it'll probably be a while before we see them here in the US.

Last edited:

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Bought one of these recently..

IMG_0084.png

Arrived today. Very cute! Can't wait to play NES or Genesis on this thing.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I'm looking for a budget friendly tv.
Checked the rtings site and got a bit overwhelmed with all the scoring, and VA, TN, IPS stuff. :P

is the tcl 405 a decent 4ktv? or should I get the lg uk6300?

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
My roommate says the OLED is too bright, especially at night with HDR stuff.

Huh? I think it goes right along with what I'm saying.

2000 to 4000 nits focused in a spot (TV) in a dark room is much stronger to the eye than the 8000 nit LED billboard that is flooded by all kinds of light pollution.
Bias lighting helps a lot in a dark room imo… I only have an R615 (and 2017 Vizio M) but that is around 800-1000 nits and it's not problem with backlight but if I turn it off I need to drop backlight immediately

I agree it is possibly a personal preference and , or a specific persons' eye issues. Hell a month ago I was having terrible eye problems and thought it was my tv viewing and it turned out to be a virus that keeps hanging around lol.

so I think , especially in a brighter room of most people's viewing space, 2000+ would be welcomed.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
My roommate says the OLED is too bright, especially at night with HDR stuff.

Huh? I think it goes right along with what I'm saying.

2000 to 4000 nits focused in a spot (TV) in a dark room is much stronger to the eye than the 8000 nit LED billboard that is flooded by all kinds of light pollution.

Dolby Vision is designed for a dark room, they want to get to 10,000nits in a dark room.

But anyway, CD/m2 is a measurement of intensity over a surface area , light has a fall off as you move further away from the souce, so a source of light will be less intense the further away you are from it.
This is one of the reasons that larger panels are intentionally brighter than their smaller siblings, to allow for an increase viewing distance.

Which means it goes without saying that you will have a different experience than someone else who sits another metre further away than you do (`I was being faceatious with the billboard and that 8000nits can exist across the whole surface and as you say is designed to be viewed in daylight and at a distance)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
From burn-in to burn-ing eyes. It sounds to me that LCD sets with nit levels that high, are better suited to one-off event movies, rather than for all-night TV watching. For example, I blow the roof off with my sound system, when watching a film, but I don't keep the amp at 11 when watching Eastenders. As someone with an ageing B6, I still have my OLED light in the 40s and it remains punchy as hell. People tend to get obsessed with the numbers though when it comes to TVs.

Yup...and there really is no perfect TV. What's best for one person really might not fit at all without someone due to 1,000,000 factors

Nov 6, 2017
How much you trying to spend? What size? What are you coming from?
Coming from a 47" Panasonic midrange TV from 2014, it's an IPS panel and the blacks are terrible. With any ambient lighting in my room all I see is a reflection of the sofa whenever there's a dark scene.
Haven't really set a budget yet, I've seen the 55" LG B7 has been going for £1200 here, so ideally would like to spend a little less than that.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Coming from a 47" Panasonic midrange TV from 2014, it's an IPS panel and the blacks are terrible. With any ambient lighting in my room all I see is a reflection of the sofa whenever there's a dark scene.
Haven't really set a budget yet, I've seen the 55" LG B7 has been going for £1200 here, so ideally would like to spend a little less than that.

That's the lowest you'll see on an OLED. If you are set on a 55" maybe take a look around and see if you can still find a 55" Sony 900E (VA LED)

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but I'm calling total BS on 10,000 nit TVs ever being welcomed by the public

We will see how successful even something like 4000 will be. I have my doubts

Matbtz

Oct 27, 2017
Hello everyone !
My old tv suddenly exploded last week (ok it just made a big CLAC but we saw some sparkles...)

So we wanted to buy a new one, since my girlfriend does not want à big screen so we compromised to get a 49-50" screen.

With a budget of around 700€ for now I'm looking into the following :
- TCL C7006 549€
- LG 50uk6950 I can get at 600€
- Philips 50PUS7303 800€

The last two seems OK at the store but I did not found that many tests/infos on them.

Could you give me some advice on the best quality/price I can find in Europe ?

Setzer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PNW
Yeah I dont know what it is, genuinely a lot of people seem to love the brightness on the PQ but its genuinely bothering me. Which I cant figure out why that would be because plenty of stuff in your daily life you see isnt as bright and doesnt bother me. The PQ genuinely is.

Thanks everyone who tried to help with settings but it's still bothering me. I'm just gonna return it. I've never had this issue watching a friends OLED set

In 24hrs it went from being the best and brightest TV ever to returning it. What a ride.

Oct 25, 2017
Any body have both the TCLP605 and an LG OLED?

Is the jump in picture quality worth the price in your opinion?

Wanna spring for a C8 but that last thing I want is to plop down that kinda cash for what I might perceive to just be a modest increase in picture quality